Lamar Miller Looks Like a Career Maker for Jeff Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATL_PHIN_FAN, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

I don't follow college football anymore, nor draft prospects, all that closely because its rare that college talent translates well to the NFL, and that's the only reason that I'd be all that interested in watching it. However, after checking out what's been said about Lamar Miller since the draft and watching some of his highlight reels, I have to say we really do have a gem here and perhaps the biggest acorn to fall off of the tree for Jeff Ireland ever. This stuff doesn't seem like a bunch of hype to me. It may be a year before Miller adjusts to the NFL, but even with that, he's now OUR 1st round talent RB :lol2: Watching Lamar run reminded me a heck of a lot like Ricky Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/lamar-miller?id=2533034

2. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I hope it's true, we have him for 4yrs so let's see what he can do, but there's no rush for him to be great yet...........

3. ATL_PHIN_FAN

Yeah, i agree Roadrunner. Both RT and Miller may need seasoning before they can really perform to their potentials in the NFL. Neither has much time shining in their positions at the college level. I'm praying Philbin and Co. can get them ready really quickly, but that might be a bit too much to hope for. Either way, the future is looking brighter. I'm definitely more excited to be a dolphin fan right now :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  4. Playmaker76

Playmaker76 Well-Known Member

Tannehill will make or break Ireland's career even if Miller is a perennial pro bowler.

5. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Miller does look like a very good pickup in the 4th. The shoulder is his only issue but its a big issue. You never know. Def worth the gamble in round 4.

*I agree with the above post that Tannehill will be a career maker for Ireland not Miller. Miller will be more of a Bess/Wake type "Acorn" for Ireland.

6. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Once Miller gets pass protection blocking and route running down i think he'll get lots of touches this year. Expect a few long TD runs. i know I do.

[​IMG]

:brewskis: Cheers.

7. ATL_PHIN_FAN

My point with Miller is that Ireland actually had to take swift and direct action to get him. Sure, it may be RT that makes or breaks Ireland in the end, but acquiring Miller probably took much more ability to see what was right to do and not hesitating to pull the trigger as a GM than RT did. To me, RT was more of an obvious option for Miami and I'm sure Ireland was influenced heavily by our staff in that pick. In Miller's case, it may have been Ireland alone who decided the time to take action was now. And that's why the pick could be his career maker. Any owner looking for a new GM in the NFL will want a candidate who's shown he's prepared to take correct action at any point int the draft and it seems to me that Ireland was.

8. fishfanmiami

here's some more highlights.

[video=youtube;R8odYWaPI5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8odYWaPI5E[/video]

9. ATL_PHIN_FAN

10. fishfanmiami

i'm a huge Canes fan and have seen every game Miller played. All he needs is a crack and he's gone.
    Shoulder injury slowed him a little but if he's fully recovered we got a steal.

11. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

This.

12. ATL_PHIN_FAN

I did not know about the shoulder injury, But what you say is encouraging. I hope it is truly healed. From what I saw in the highlights, it looks to me he could be a special back in the NFL.

13. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Great vision

14. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Tannehill is being given all the tools and coaches needed to succeed in the NFL. If he busts, it won't be Ireland's fault, it'll be his own fault and I'll be looking for Ireland to draft his replacement ASAP until we finally have our leader at QB.

And I don't like Ireland, but it's true. Any QB should be able to succeed with the quality of coaches we have.

Now if Ireland takes too long to draft his replacement, then yes fire his ***. But no more bull****ting around, 2-3 seasons tops, we should be able to see Tannehill at potentially Top 5 level or be done with him.

15. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Yes. Vision, speed and quickness.

16. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Ive seen the comparisons to Ricky on this board and I dont see it at all. Im not sure how anyone does. Ricky was almost just as fast, same height and 20 pounds heavier. Not sure how theres a comparison between the two

17. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I hope he is good, but when I think of a mid round running back of his size from a Florida college I get bad memories of Lorenzo Booker. Not sure why I get that uneasy feeling, but I do. Can't wait to see him in some game action.

One thing I do want to see is him dump that #44. I assume he will choose a number in the 20s once final cuts are made.

18. JerryD

JerryD A True Fan

Wow, you're a GM's dream ... Matt Millen will love you!!
    (couldn't resist kidding you after seeing your quote!! lol)

19. ATL_PHIN_FAN

It was not his weight or his ability to run over people that made RW good. It was his ability to find the crease and pop through it before the defense could react, and then to make the first guy beyond the line miss with a small jink and not a lot of dancing. A north/south runner. I also recall that for a couple of years Ricky's target weight was around Miller's current 212, even though he usually played at around 220 or so. Seeing Miller get around the corner on sweeps was very reminiscent of Williams. I'm not saying they are the same in every way, just that seeing Miller reminded me of some William's best stuff.

20. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

o please......................

21. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

You guys have no idea how happy Lamar was to stay in Miami though. He was afraid to have to go out west somewhere. :lol:

Anyway, it looks like it's showing. Hopefully he becomes a stud on the team so I can get some free tickets hahaha.

22. fishfanmiami

Ricky ran through people at 235 lb's or so. Miller runs away from them with a quick burst and good long speed also. More like Bush than Ricky.

23. fishfanmiami

Tell him we are all pulling for him. Especially the Cane's fans. Make us proud.

24. phinscanes9

phinscanes9 Member

I loved Miller at UM but hes a small back with durability issues, however i still think he has a lot of upside and he should see a good amount of playing time this year the dude is a playmaker

25. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

This kid is just as good as Trent Richardson

26. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

College talent rarely translates to the NFL?

32 teams with 53 man rosters from college disagree.

27. ATL_PHIN_FAN

I said it doesn't translate WELL. Rarely as you'd like outside of the first round. Therefore, I prefer to let the people who deal with prospects everyday like Ireland sort out the mess. Instead, I spend my time watching professionals play and following closely what my team does. Typically, college players who may or may not ever make it past their rookie season in the NFL garner little interest from me until they make a cut somewhere. Here's some good articles illustrating my point :

http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?t=38395

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7853608/how-tell-which-nfl-draft-picks-truly-valuable

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-22/nfl-draft-2012-first-round-disappointments

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ster-bubble-thoughts-from-a-former-nfl-player

Sorry, but I couldn't find much about the odds of 2nd rounders on down to be impact players or even to make an NFL roster for 1 year. However, there are some statistics on that if you read long and close in the two articles that are statistical, rather than simply opinion. I think that's because no one cares, lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  28. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

29. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

In a few years, Miller will add some weight and power. Hopefully he can retain the speed. He runs with an attitude...I like it.
    The Ricky comparisons are a few years away. Right now I would compare him to Frank Gore coming out of college.
    Unheralded, not much expected. He turned out pretty good. Hopefully Miller can remain healthy.

30. ATL_PHIN_FAN

I knew I'd read something somewhere about Ricky trying to get his weight down to near his college playing weight. The problem is, I don't recall WHEN I read it and I'm not sure now what his college playing weight was. It was probably an article like the one below that got me thinking he was trying to stay slimmer when he plays. It's the last paragraph that talks about that and in other parts of the article, that he was becoming more than just a smash-mouth runner in the opinion of the journalist. Anyway, I'm sure you are right about what his actual playing weight was throughout the Dolphin years.

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Williams_Ricky/RWilliams_bio.html

31. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Awesome talent, will need to stay healthy -not an easy feat in this sport to begin with.

32. dolpns13

Miller was much better in two years at FSU than Booker was in 3. Hopefully Miller doesnt mirror Bookers NFL career. I dont think he will.

33. dolpns13

34. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

Ricky is/was obviously bigger more physical and slower, but the ability to hit the hole quick and decisively is definitely there, the likes of Ronnie struggled with that. As a mid round pick goes Lamar was an excellent gamble, because in the end that is what most mid round picks are. Yes he has loads of potential but having shoulder problems which I think he had even before college for a running back is a problem. I don't envisage him as an every down 250 plus carries a year type back, he is more an explosive change/special teams type of player.

35. ATL_PHIN_FAN

I don't understand how limiting his play time saves his shoulder? Is this the kind of injury that's going to be sore all the time? Or is it that since it was injured once before makes it more susceptible to re-injury? If neither is the case, what is the reason to limit his playing time and thus, his potential here?

36. SuggyDuggy

SuggyDuggy Active Member

Itll be interesting to see if Lamar Miller has a good year, and if that leads to us not keeping Reggie. I think we should keep reggie regardless, but I think Miller was drafted as a possible cheaper/younger replacement so we shall see.

37. ATL_PHIN_FAN

If it were up to me, I'd keep both. There's a lot of value in having complementary backs who can come in fresh for each other at different points in a game. Also, if as in the wildcat they can manage to put them both on the field at the same time, I'd think you'd have some pretty powerful threats there.

38. Miamibyrd

Miamibyrd Well-Known Member

I just cant wait untill he prove what he's about.

39. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Unless R Bush is injured you will not see that much of Miller except during returns. 3-5 plays a game.

40. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

How many carries are you seeing Bush take per game? Thomas?

If you think Bush is getting more than 15 per game you're nuts. That seemed to be his absolute sweet spot.

41. 13ktownguy

13ktownguy Well-Known Member

Kids a TD machine!!

42. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

We'll see Miller on the field like we saw Patrick Cobbs. It's all about matchups.

43. fakespike

fakespike Starter

2012 Rushing leaders:1. MJD (2nd)2. Rice (2nd)3. Turner (5th)4. McCoy (2nd)5. Foster (undrafted)6. Gore (3rd)But you're sentiment is correct for other positions, especially QB and WR.

44. FuturePhin

FuturePhin Pro Bowler

Its funny guys are comparing speeds between Miller and Williams. I for one especailly early in his carrier hardly ever seen Ricky get caught from behind. Theres a difference between 40 time and actual football speed. He was faster than his time stated and that was at 220+ pds. He didnt run the same when he was lighter or heavier- he had to have his sweet spot weight. But in any sence Im anxious to see what Miller can do! Hope he tears it up.