Langer72's mock 1.0 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Langer72's mock 1.0

LANGER72

Active Roster
Reaction score
Well, I am calling it 1.0, I may decide to make some changes in the next 2 months.
For now..
1. Barkevious Mingo DE
2A. Jonathan Banks CB
2B. Markus Wheaton WR
3A. Ryan Swope WR
3B. Christine Michael RB
4. Kenny Stills WR
5. Dustin Hopkins K
6. Hugh Thornton OG
7. Cornelious Washington DE

I wanted Tavon Austin with the 2A pick, but he will likely be gone. I am holding out hope for him though.
Banks is a quality CB. We need to upgrade and there is a possibility that Smith's asking price is too high.
I picked 3 WR's hopefully 2-3 will be upgrades. Stills is intriguing at that spot...quickness/ Speed. We need speed, and all three have speed and different aspects to their games
Mingo and/or possibly Washington can be the complimentary edge rusher opposite Wake.
Christine Michael is a big back to replace Daniel Thomas, who has been a injury prone disappointment. Bush/Miller share the scat back, but we will need a thumper.

My assumptions are that Long, Hartline, Fasano, and Bush will resign. I think Smith is asking for too much..he is on his way out.
We will make a strong play for Finley TE. He will upgrade the passing attack from the TE position at a reasonable price. No FA receivers...too expensive, we will draft them.
Matt Moore will leave for a better opportunity, and Devlin will enter camp as the #2. We may pick up another veteran before camp and likely sign rookie Bray or another undrafted QB.

Thoughts?:idk:

I like Stills ability, but that kid is an acquired taste, character wise. Has a rep for taking plays off, jogging around when he isn't the target, questioning coaches etc, getting penalties against him for over-aggessiveness. He also seems to have a pretty inflated ego. Seemingly he, Jefferson and one other player are known as the Cali Trio in Oklahoma. They seem to spend their time telling the world how awesome they are and generally acting the diva.

On the flipside, he's a competitor when he is the focus of attention. Brandon Marshall redux. I doubt he fits in the "committee of WRs" scheme.

I wondered why he was getting mocked as low as he was - because the physical traits and talent are there - and that seems to be the message coming out of college, fwiw. In the fourth, that might be worth taking a gamble on anyway, as the talent is 2nd round, imo.

I'm not on the Mingo bandwagon, I think the risks of him not panning out are too high for the draft slot. Like the rest of the picks, though I'm maybe not sure our endzone woes are addressed enough by Swope, Wheaton and Stills.

Last edited by a moderator:
banks will probably go to Tampa bay in round one if we pass

I'd buy this mock all day and twice on sundays. Adding all those young receivers would be beautiful. Love the kicker pick, MIngo and Banks are both studs and would be steals in those spots.

I don't see this happening. I seriously doubt Banks lasts that long. I don't think I'd spend a 3rd on Swope.

Mingo is one of the biggest boom/busts picks IMO, maybe you hit a home run and he's the next Ware or maybe he's out of the league in a few years. Love Banks, but don't think he makes it out of the top 20. Wheaton and Swope would be nice additions at wide receiver.

I can see Banks making it to 42. Odds are against it, but I have him as my 4th CB. I think it's probable that Rhodes goes before him. Milliner almost certain will. I can see Trufant or Alford going before him too - depending on how they look from this point forward. Alford is the guy I'm eyeing if we pass on CB in Round 1. Rhodes would be solid at 12. Think he has the most potential to be a lock-down CB.

Mingo is one of the biggest boom/busts picks IMO, maybe you hit a home run and he's the next Ware or maybe he's out of the league in a few years. Love Banks, but don't think he makes it out of the top 20. Wheaton and Swope would be nice additions at wide receiver.

He definitely won't be the next Ware, he doesn't have the size. I think teams are hoping he's Von Miller . . . or close to it.

I'd roll the Dice on Mingo. I think Sam Montgomery is more likely to bust then Mingo.

If Jordan and Anash aren't there he may be are guy

yuck on Mingo. aint happnin.

like the WR picks but a third one unncessary because we are going to find another undrafted kid. think A&M.

Washington is no longer a late pick if anyone is noticing.

Michael at RB strong possibility and I believe RT put in a good word for him in his interview.

Banks at 42 can happen. I wouldnt put money down on it. But teams go for certain guys all things equal. Senior bowl has influence.

I'd be very surprised if Ireland takes Mingo at 12. Everything I've seen says Mingo is best suited as a pass rusher OLB in a 3:4 defense. Doubtful if Ireland thinks he's big enough to play DE in our system at just 241 lbs. He's clearly very athletic with high potential, but far more likely we go CB in round 1.
BTW I hope you are right with the Swope pick. Lets swoop on Swope.

Last edited by a moderator:
The draft will be very interesting. I am hoping we can get a few of the players I like.

I'd be very surprised if Ireland takes Mingo at 12. Everything I've seen says Mingo is best suited as a pass rusher OLB in a 3:4 defense. Doubtful if Ireland thinks he's big enough to play DE in our system at just 241 lbs. He's clearly very athletic with high potential, but far more likely we go CB in round 1.
BTW I hope you are right with the Swope pick. Lets swoop on Swope.

Jason Taylor weighed 240 lbs when drafted. The thing about Mingo is he has the speed / athleticism to cover when asked and the quick first step which is crucial to rush the passer. You can't teach speed and quickness. He will bulk up to 255 and be fine IMHO.
I am not convinced that ODrick is the answer at DE on passing downs. He is more suited for DT on those downs. IMHO a pass rushing DE is a greater need for this defense. With a great pass rush, the corners will play better.

Well, I am calling it 1.0, I may decide to make some changes in the next 2 months.
For now..
1. Barkevious Mingo DE
2A. Jonathan Banks CB
2B. Markus Wheaton WR
3A. Ryan Swope WR
3B. Christine Michael RB
4. Kenny Stills WR
5. Dustin Hopkins K
6. Hugh Thornton OG
7. Cornelious Washington DE

I wanted Tavon Austin with the 2A pick, but he will likely be gone. I am holding out hope for him though.
Banks is a quality CB. We need to upgrade and there is a possibility that Smith's asking price is too high.
I picked 3 WR's hopefully 2-3 will be upgrades. Stills is intriguing at that spot...quickness/ Speed. We need speed, and all three have speed and different aspects to their games
Mingo and/or possibly Washington can be the complimentary edge rusher opposite Wake.
Christine Michael is a big back to replace Daniel Thomas, who has been a injury prone disappointment. Bush/Miller share the scat back, but we will need a thumper.

My assumptions are that Long, Hartline, Fasano, and Bush will resign. I think Smith is asking for too much..he is on his way out.
We will make a strong play for Finley TE. He will upgrade the passing attack from the TE position at a reasonable price. No FA receivers...too expensive, we will draft them.
Matt Moore will leave for a better opportunity, and Devlin will enter camp as the #2. We may pick up another veteran before camp and likely sign rookie Bray or another undrafted QB.

Thoughts?:idk:

Mingo too skinny
Banks too slow
Wheaton to light
Swope is great

I don't think we have a 6th and I doubt the optimists who think we are getting comped.

Long is long gone. The gap is enormous. We know he isn't worth 8 mil a year and he wants 11. The thing is he and his agent know he can get the money elsewhere. There really isn't any reason for him to lower his price.

Unlike the dreamers on this site who think Jonathan Martin is a viable option at LT, Long and his agent know very well he isn't. An odds maker who probably have to with about a 5% chance Long is a Dolphin next year.

Bush is so gone it isn't even funny. He was gone when Miller started averaging over 5 yds per carry.

I like Hopkins but I doubt a high 5th is necessary.

I think Guard should be a higher priority with Incognito in a contract year and Jerry a terrible fit in this run blocking scheme.. I like Winters with our 2nd 2nd or first 3rd. I also beleive they will be looking at Quessenberry to play LG.

With a healthy 100% Jonas Gray we may not need to go that high for RB, in fact I expect them to bring in a couple undrafted guys to compete with Gray. Remember, Jorvorskie Lane can carry the rock as well, so can Charles Clay. I like Mike James and Curtis McNeal for undrafted FA RB's.

What's up with Cornelius Washington?? ) sacks this year, 5 last year and testing out like a freak.

Back
Top Bottom