Laremy Tunsil showed he could pass protect at left guard in the NFL. Now can he do it at left tackle

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by miamiron, Jul 17, 2017.

1. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

ZERO SACKS ALLOWED[​IMG]

2. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Without question, it's his position.

3. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

The kid's at home at LT. He's going to be a great one for many years. I predict a better career than Richmond Webb.

4. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

People really need to stop posting the ****ing garbage that comes from PFF.

Those numbers are not true for Tunsil. Just for starters he allowed the first sack of the season and another at LT filling in for Albert.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    fins1, MDFINFAN and Blackcreekbandit like this.
  5. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Some can say that he got help from all pro LT Albert and all pro Center Pouncey. But Pouncey only played a few games and Albert wasn't always healthy. He still allowed zero sacks. He is definitely the REAL DEAL

6. Sons Of Shula

Not true.

7. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I was more concerned last year when he played out of his natural position. Only thing that will derail him this year would be an injury.

8. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

And you have to stop posting your passive and not so passive aggressive posts attacking every thing YOU don't like
    Your posts here are a huge reason why people either no longer post or have moved on to other forums.

Take a long hard look at your posts if you don't agree with something or someone
    it borders on Insanity...I should have posted anything/something regarding Alonso I'm sure
    it could have possibly put you over the edge and on the way to the home.

Is it even in the realm of your mind to ignore something instead of sitting by you computer
    waiting for your next sniper attack? Must miss the days of WW1

9. Sons Of Shula

Save the idiotic rant. It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing, it's false information. I'll post the visual evidence later.

10. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

If he can't at left tackle then we're in deep crapola. We have NOTHING at left tackle other than Tunsil.

11. Dolphindrew

Dolphindrew Starter

I felt he proved it last year as a rookie filling in for Albert. Watch the last second game winning TD throw to Parker to end the Rams game. Dude was about to crush RT and Tunsil demolished him on a great recovery move after apparently slipping or missing the guy at first.

12. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

He was drafted to be our left tackle. If he doesn't pan out it will be a big waste of a 1st round pick.

13. PhinsAAA

PhinsAAA Well-Known Member

Spot on!! Nothing worse than the type of person you described

Fintastic2124 likes this.
  14. Rugged Man

Rugged Man I'm your Huckleberry Finheaven VIP

but...is he wrong though? If not both of those posts seem rather unfair.

Pandarilla, Travis34, NBP81 and 2 others like this.
  15. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

Even if he's not wrong, there are tactful and respectful ways to correct or persuade others of an inaccuracy or your point of view. Also, I think it is very bad form to simply say . . "That's wrong/garbage and you are idiotic for thinking it," without providing reasoning in the same post. I know I will not be waiting around for him to show me why he thinks it's wrong. However, I WILL continue to view him as the type of poster I can do without here, regardless of how often he's right.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Pandarilla, Anvil35 and Fintastic2124 like this.
  16. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

According to most sites Tunsil gave up 1 sack when playing LT, but it is an unofficial stat so there is no concrete number. If it is 0, 1, or 2, it doesn't matter, as its a very low number. #67 played very well for a rookie playing out of position, and most of all against the pass. Everything we saw last year suggested that he will play at a very high level, and should be a good to great LT for Miami for a long time.

That being said, I agree with Miamiron. SOS is super negative, and seems to bash Miami more than anything.

17. Sons Of Shula

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  18. Sons Of Shula

I'm not bashing Tunsil, he's an excellent lineman; I'm bashing PFF for their misinformation. Nor have I talked any smack to any posters. I simply requested to stop posting PFF because they are inaccurate and inconsistent. And that's who I called ****ing garbage, not a member, or their opinion, or the work posted by a member.

19. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Hot Sauce Moderator Finheaven VIP

Let's dial it back a bit gentleman. I know people have issues with sources like PFF and others but this is a football forum. There are always going to be articles posted from outside sources by our Finheaven members. Regardless of where they come from, which will be ranging from Omar to Barry Jackson and everything in between, a persons distaste of said source is not going to stop members from posting articles. So let's try and keep it civil and on track with the subject matter. Feel free to criticize an article or source but there is no need to get personal or take the thread off topic because of someone criticizing an article. Have a good day.

20. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

The first one against Seattle is very suspect, as Tunsil was engaged with another defender, and it was BA's guy, could he have released the DT he was blocking to the outside, and helped BA with the stunt? Maybe, but that would be a lot to ask any NFL G more less a rookie playing in his first game. I doubt any source gives Tunsil the responsibility for that sack, and why most sites only give him the sack surrenderd in the Cincy game. Either way the only two plays in question are in his first game in the NFL, and his first game at LT. Not a bad body of work.

21. Sons Of Shula

There's nothing suspect about the 1st sack being Tunsil's fault; it's all on him. There's a reason defensive lines slant, stunt and loop in order to create the confusion among blocking assignments post snap and it's because they are looking for the result that Clark accomplished. The DT attacks Tunsil outside shoulder and intends to occupy him away from the inside loop by design. Not sure why anyone wouldn't credit Tunsil with the sack there as not every sack is a simple result of getting beat off the snap on a bull rush or spin move. Many are the outcome of creativity and not just pure speed or power.

Tunsil is and will be an excellent lineman. You are also correct in saying those particular two are a result of playing those positions for the first time. I was just dispelling the misinformation put out by PFF, nothing more.

22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Both of those sacks are easily correctable with game reps. It's just positional awareness due to lack of live game action reps.

I'm confident in saying that he will be a top 5 left tackle and he could be a pro bowl left guard even. Super talented.

Cornerstone type player.

kcbrown likes this.
  23. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

PFF gives Tunsil one sack on a couple articles I found. 2 other sites gave him 1 sack. I might me more inclined to agree with you if Albert didn't engage the pass rusher and have his hands on him, or if BA went after the DT rather than the DE, but as it stands that was BA's sack. I don't know where the OP found that image as everything as everything I have read on there says he gave up one, and that looks legit. I don't love the site, but I don't hate it either. They rank arbitrary things, so of course it's not sacred, but they shed light on things as well.

Here is a link to back up what I was saying: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-all-31-first-round-picks-have-played-this-season

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  24. Sons Of Shula

That's absolutely incorrect.

How is Albert supposed to block the DE once he disengages and twists inside? He can't unless he holds him from doing so which is illegal. So Tunsil must pass off the DT to his outside help and engage the DE as he releases from Albert and loops inside. There is no other way to pass protect in this situation.

1. Here is the play from a defensive POV explained by Ben McKaig the DL Coach of Utica College:

[​IMG]

2. Here is the play from an offensive POV explained by Justin Iske the OL Coach from Fort Hays State University:

3. And yet another offensive POV from Rich Alercio Offensive Line Researcher X&O Labs:

[​IMG]

There you go. Since you refuse to take my word for it, there are 3 separate excerpts from other real football coaches - and not some dinky *** analytic site - who express the same coaching points I have been making with slight nuances.

25. MercMan

MercMan Needs more cowbell Finheaven VIP Donator

That 2nd clip you showed I don't believe was considered a sack because Tannehill made it past the LOS. Although, it was terrible blocking on that play. Tunsil has the talent, I believe he just needs to acclimate to the speed and versatility of pass rushers in the NFL.

26. Sons Of Shula

It yielded 0 yards for loss but is still a sack.

Link: 4th Qtr 7:44 Ryan Tannehill sacked by Will Clarke for 0 yards

Positive point is that both sacks were simply a result of inexperience and not technical issues. As you said, Tunsil certainly has the talent and I also believe on an exceptional level at that.

27. Digital

Digital Starter

The Cincinnati one is all him. But the first one is a stunt that the LG didn't pick up. It started out as an end rush, but they then twisted after the DT engaged the guard and drew him out of the hole. The LG didn't disengage, pass off his man to Tunsil and pick him the stunting DE like he should have. That's not Tunsil's fault, it's the LG's fault.

The Cincinnati one though, yeah, that's just bad OL play. The TE chipped but it wasn't solely the TE's man to block. Tunsil just wiffed. Rookie mistake.

Still, all in all, I thought Tunsil played very well as a rookie, particularly because he played most of it at a brand new position, LG. Then when he shifted out to LT, he really didn't have enough LT reps to be where he should have been as a rookie. I was very happy with his performance overall.

Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  28. Sons Of Shula

I completely agree.

BTW, Tunsil is playing LG and Albert is the LT. Thanks for the confirmation. :thumbsup

Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  29. Digital

Digital Starter

Ahh, I thought you were trying to say he allowed both as LT.

And that's why you always throw confusing stuff at rookies ... they fall for it, especially when they're playing in a position they've never played in before any other year of their career, LOL.

Still like what I saw of Tunsil at both LT and LG. He was our best guard last year, despite what Gase tries to say.

30. Sons Of Shula

My only point to this thread was that the PFF graphic that was tweeted out earlier today
    was wrong and that Tunsil gave up at least two sacks that I knew of off the top of my head.

Yep. He was our best lineman, IMO. The Bushrod praise was pure coachspeak.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    JakeemThe Dream and Digital like this.
  31. Digital

Digital Starter

Agree on all three points. PFF is a great idea and it's one of many stats keeping outfits that are semi-reliable, but work for general ideas and trends. Tunsil's arrow is pointing up. I'll be excited to see how the battle between Tunsil and Charles Harris goes when the pads go on. Yep, totally agree on the Bushrod praise, pure coachspeak.

32. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

IMG_6536.PNG

This isn't a source just think it's funny

33. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan Well-Known Member

He is going to succeed. He still has a point to prove after he was hosed by a video 10 minutes before the draft. OBTW, he showed great consistency playing the position in college.

34. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Still can't believe he fell to us in the draft. He should have been the first overall pick imo (don't believe in Geoff or Wentz). Tunsil, Zeke and Ramsey are the 3 most talented from last years draft, and I would argue Tunsil plays a more valuable position than they do. Tunsil should have the best career of them all, unless Jalen becomes the next Deon or Revis, which is a tall task.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  35. A500

A500 Active Member

I'm not making excuses for Tunsil. However, if he disengaged against the DT against Seattle to pick up the DE it seems as though the DE would've gotten the sack anyway because BA didn't seem ready to pick up the DE. He only put a hand out for him at the end.
    Agreed that his rookie season wasn't flawless. But it was pretty damn good. He looks like he could eventually get those flawless seasons in time

Dajesus likes this.
  36. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

SOS, while you are correct in this instance, I'm fairly certain you would argue with the sky for beIng the wrong shade of blue.

Dajesus likes this.
  37. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ahhhhhhh..."Save your idiotic rant."

seed sounds to the soul...