Late round gem for the Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Late round gem for the Miami Dolphins

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The more you watch, the more you like. Athleticism, toughness and determination will win you over. He lacks size and length as a tackle. Lance Zierlein

Generally, I’ve read this Offensive Lineman prospect going from 6[SUP]th[/SUP] rd – UDFA in the draft. This can be a steal for the Miami Dolphins. Here are some measurements: 6’4 295lbs 33 3/8” arms with 9 3/8” hands, 34 reps of 225lbs and a 1.69 10 yard split. He played Offensive Tackle at TCU for the majority of his time, missing only a few games.

Aviante Collins, is obviously not a perfect prospect, lacking “ideal” arm length, and possess raw technique that needs to be developed (as do most prospects in the back end of the draft).

Why Aviante Collins could be a steal?
https://phinphanatic.com/2017/04/19/late-round-gem-miami-dolphins/

I have watched a lot of Aviante Collins.

What I found most interesting about him was that in addition to having really good feet, he has some very serious upper body strength. That's what makes him a "must have" guy for me that is currently being "rated" a Day 3 pick (by sources like CBS).

I have watched a lot of Aviante Collins.

What I found most interesting about him was that in addition to having really good feet, he has some very serious upper body strength. That's what makes him a "must have" guy for me that is currently being "rated" a Day 3 pick (by sources like CBS).

Kyle Hicks does a terrible job of using the block, but this play really shows how Collins' speed shows up on tape. It's not an open sprint, but he's motoring. If Hicks runs off his hip, he at least falls forward for two or three more yards. I don't know how common mistakes like this are from Hicks, but he does look good in the open field.

giphy.gif

Anyone know how old Collins is? Can't find that info anywhere.

If he's 22 or 23, I'd feel better about his prospects of putting on 5-10 lbs of good weight (one of my primary concerns with Bolles). His arms are short for an OT, BUT they're not much shorter than Taylor Decker's (33 3/8" vs 33 3/4"). If Collins can bulk up a little, I'd be OK with him as an emergency OT. I like Collins build better for OG, and I think he can start and has a pretty high ceiling inside, but I think he can get it done at OT in a pinch in the NFL - assuming he's able to add that weight. So, if you view him that way and think he can add weight, that's added value.

Your point about upper body strength is a good one. That also shows up on tape. When he gets his hands on someone, it's usually game over. This play isn't especially impressive, as the defender isn't putting up a great fight, but I think it shows how easily he can control someone.

giphy.gif

Doubling down on OL from the 3rd-5th rounds would be ideal for me. Draft at least two starting caliber defensive players then get some competition for the line would definitely be a boost. Problem is, so would Lamp! This draft has got me all over the place.

Kyle Hicks does a terrible job of using the block, but this play really shows how Collins' speed shows up on tape. It's not an open sprint, but he's motoring. If Hicks runs off his hip, he at least falls forward for two or three more yards. I don't know how common mistakes like this are from Hicks, but he does look good in the open field.

giphy.gif

Anyone know how old Collins is? Can't find that info anywhere.

If he's 22 or 23, I'd feel better about his prospects of putting on 5-10 lbs of good weight (one of my primary concerns with Bolles). His arms are short for an OT, BUT they're not much shorter than Taylor Decker's (33 3/8" vs 33 3/4"). If Collins can bulk up a little, I'd be OK with him as an emergency OT. I like Collins build better for OG, and I think he can start and has a pretty high ceiling inside, but I think he can get it done at OT in a pinch in the NFL - assuming he's able to add that weight. So, if you view him that way and think he can add weight, that's added value.

Your point about upper body strength is a good one. That also shows up on tape. When he gets his hands on someone, it's usually game over. This play isn't especially impressive, as the defender isn't putting up a great fight, but I think it shows how easily he can control someone.

giphy.gif

His weakness right now is in technique and decision making. Stuff like depth of his kick slide, etc. He is actually not far from being a pretty good tackle prospect, if you can just teach him to be conservative in his kick slide and allow his feet to bail him out when an edge rusher commits to the speed rush around the outside shoulder. I've seen it; he's able to churn those feet real fast and wash the guy out way behind the quarterback. But he gets beat to the inside, where his feet aren't going to help him prevent the pressure/sack.

He has some strengths that Lydon Murtha had, if you remember him. But he also possesses some of Murtha's weaknesses. That's what he needs to work on as a tackle.

I like the transition to guard specifically because of the upper body strength. It makes me think he can handle it. But if decision making on the fly is a weakness then you're going to have to spend a lot of time teaching him to recognize and be able to pick up stunts and blitzes. And if he never "gets it" then he's back out at tackle where you wonder if he's got a long enough frame, etc.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Personally in a lot of my fantasy mocks, which have no real value but it's fun anyway, I most often end up with both Ben Braden and Aviante Collins to man my guard positions and give us some options at backup tackle.

Back
Top Bottom