Lawrence Timmons play time last 3 games has gone from 83% to 76% to 57% vs. Denver.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tiko377, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

When the Miami Dolphins signed accomplished veteran linebacker Lawrence Timmons as an unrestricted free agent last offseason, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Timmons, 31, was obviously old enough to have a decade of NFL experience behind him, but he wasn’t so old as to seem beyond reclamation. The Dolphins liked how Timmons showed up on tape. They liked his toughness. They liked his history with the Pittsburgh Steelers, which included a good outing against Miami in last season’s playoffs.

The Dolphins liked Timmons so much they outbid the Steelers for him. They gave him a two-year contract that would average $6 million per season with $11 million fully guaranteed, but they convinced themselves it was a bargain because the deal didn’t approach Dont’a Hightower money.

Now we’re seeing Timmons playing less at a time the Dolphins defense has been struggling and needs him most. Now we’re seeing Timmons blowing run plays way more often than coaches are willing to excuse. Now we’re seeing Timmons hurt the overall defense because other players see him out of position and run to cover for him, thus getting themselves out of position.

Timmons, obviously quite familiar and comfortable with the Steelers system he played in for a decade, has struggled to learn all his assignments in Miami. Last week against New England, for example, he lined up wrong before the play even began on what turned out to be a 22-yard run by Patriots running back Dion Lewis.

Timmons was responsible for a couple of mental mistakes in that New England loss.

That doesn’t mean the Dolphins hate Timmons. They might release him next offseason but they don’t hate the guy.

What this Timmons episode should do, however, is serve as a cautionary tale the Dolphins should carry into next offseason.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article187546598.html#storylink=cpy

2. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Hasn't got the killer in him like he did in Pitt. He made play there, here not so much.

I long for the day we have a d player make highlight reel, game changing plays in big spots, been too long.

3. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Timmons constantly lining up wrong and out of position. Lol players wait until they come to Miami to forget how to play football. Timmons looked great with Pittsburgh vs Miami in the playoffs last year lol

4. Aquablood

Aquablood Well-Known Member

His heart is in Pitt. Never thought of himself as a fin. He is a veteran, if I was in a well run organization for years, and now find myself in a dumpster fire, I quit too.

Ohu and dolpns13 like this.
  5. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Or you know maybe just stay in Pittsburgh and take a pay cut instead of signing with a team you have no desire to play for. He’s gone after this season. Then he can go back to Pittsburgh

dolpns13 likes this.
  6. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

Never thought he was as god as advertised...Same as when he was at FSU

7. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

This was a 2 year stay with the contract, however when he went AWOL I believe he gave up the guarantees so if that is the case he will be cut after the season.

He is slowly being phased out as we look at younger guys like Allen and Anthony.

Makes sense since he is not in the 2018 picture anymore.

Good player, his mind and heart ain't here tho.

Miami needs another defensive draft like they just had and use the FA money on a Landry resign and a big, nasty guard.

8. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

Yowser! The more Allen and Anthony the better. Now draft Nick Deluca next spring and we are looking great at LB for years.

9. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Mike Tomlin is so impressive, including after the emotional game tonight. If I were a player entrenched in that Steeler environment I know I'd be reluctant to leave unless I was absolutely positive, and basically had no other option.

I don't mind this type of signing. Or the William Hayes stuff. In the long run they blend. We need to draft special players so this type of thing is third tier interest level, not close to forefront.

Aquablood and Ray R like this.
  10. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

He was so good the first few games after being suspended I had all but forgiven him for going AWOL. Since then it's like watching him wither away in slow motion after drinking water from the wrong chalice.

As usual, the dolphins chose poorly.

11. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

$7M in dead cap money, $1M in savings. IDK, I think he stays

12. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

You're looking at it before the guaranteed money was voided because of his suspension.

13. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

We'd be in a much better position without the contracts of Timmons, Cutler, Kiko, and Branch on the books.

Those were rookie mistakes made by a "veteran" GM. They tried to build a solid culture here but that culture is being destroyed because we're losing and our highest contracts are going to mediocre players.

That Branch contract has to be one of the worst in the NFL. He was coming off of a 5 sack season and he's making the same amount that double-digit sack guys are getting. ****ing christ.

royalshank, miamiron and Avigatorx like this.
  14. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

Cutler's is a one year deal. If we cut Kiko and Branch, that's a $25M accelerated cap hit

Ray R likes this.
  15. ReppinThe941

ReppinThe941 Well-Known Member

He was good at FSU and better in Pitt. He played nearly a decade for one of the toughest defenses without missing a game in one of the more physical divisions.

Remind me again what your basing you evaluation off of?

royalshank and Ray R like this.
  16. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

This experiment by Dolphins management has failed, they thought this team was close and awarded contracts to average players for a push deep into the playoffs. It's time to clean out the cupboard and concentrate on the draft, bring in young players and build your culture or change it that way. In this present day dictated by the cap, we can ill afford to spend unwisely no matter how exciting the next big FA signing makes a splash on the front page. The thinking of upper management has to change, building a team requires smarts but more importantly patience, be strategic in how you go about assembling your team and learn to make a decision.........a good one. The Dolphins are a classic example of the rule "Money Doesn't Fix Everything," we constantly overpay for players which is bad enough in itself and sometimes necessary, but the guarantee money handed out is the real killer.......with little results to show for it, we get rid of home grown talent and bring in someone's else's over the hill players that don't necessarily fit the scheme we play.........unbelievable. This year I can understand why Gase brought in FAs, the amount of injuries we had forced him to act, like at the LB and QB position for example, but this can no longer be the rule it has to be the exception. If the Dolphins brass don't change their thinking, this team will continue to be crap for years to come.

Ray R likes this.
  17. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Good. Out with the old. This defense needs a huge boost of young elite level talent. We need to draft another linebacker to pair with McMillan. Unfortunately we're stuck with Kiko for another year.

18. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

What are the numbers like now?

19. Schleprock

Schleprock Mad and Surt...Legendary

And now with the Steelers injuries at LB they could really use him. Too bad the trade deadline has passed. Another reason why the trade deadline needs to be removed/pushed back further.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

writing looks to be on the wall

one and done

Ray R likes this.
  21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

shaziers the most overrated lb in football but what I saw last night without him at the position could definitely send them home

22. Schleprock

Schleprock Mad and Surt...Legendary

Yep, the kid from Temple (who ended up getting hurt too, for those that didn't know) showed a lot of heart and effort, but he just doesn't have the goods from what I saw.

23. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

LB remains another top 3 round MUST get, along with DE. Another 2017 draft will do wonders. QB and TE are wildcard positions.

Says a lot about how bare the cupboard was on defense.

24. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

No doubt we need another DE and a LB too. We've needed a TE for years now and of course at least one guard.

Ozzy rules!!

25. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry Well-Known Member

26. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

For whatever reason it was that he went AWOL, so be it. I hated the signing but understood why they did it. He’s regressed since the 1st few games and is out of position quite often now days. He makes a few plays but is not what he was earlier in the season. I think Timmons will get his wish and be released after this Season. I’ll never understand why so much money is foolishly being spent, but in theory a healthy mindset from Timmons May have made him invaluable, but it hasn’t worked out.

27. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This D needs McMillian to be a healthy stud...and Harris to develop or find a pass rushing DE in the draft...and a ballhawking FS...and a OLB that can run with TEs and RBs...

Okay, it needs a fair amount bordering on a lot.

28. Aquablood

He have not played one snap in nfl. You jumped to conclusion, it's classic homer.

29. TheWozz

Thanks for your input. But where did I say that he was a stud...I said we need him to be a healthy stud. Next time avoid "jumping to conclusions" before calling out others for jumping to conclusions and being rude...ironic huh.

Ray R likes this.
  30. Aquablood

I apologize. Point well taken.

31. TheWozz

Apology accepted. 5-7 makes us all a bit edgy. Appreciate you manning up and doing the right thing.

32. Aquablood

Bro, we all want the dolphins to do well. But I tend to fall in the camp of 'show me' first. As oppose to potential of DVP , or Gase should not be held accountable due to TR went down.
    Btw, love your Petty sandwich avatar.

TheWozz likes this.
  33. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Timmons is as good as gone this offseason IMO. I think finding an athletic linebacker has to be a high priority in the draft...athletic, complete linebacker. Someone who can make a difference.

joenhre likes this.