Leadership not firing the answer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Leadership not firing the answer

dalmog

Myself
Reaction score
My two cents on both the Bates question (assuming he were to be asked to stay and accepted) and the JT/complaining players:

I have seen good leaders in business, education and clergy. Sometimes they come into environements where people talk tough and act like they aren't going to bow down and get with the program. Good leaders don't just cut these people out, especially when these people are talented. Usually, if the leader comes in with a real vision, confidence that if people bought into it that they could realize the vision, and a real plan to execute that vision, along with a bit of charisma and intelligence and the ability to convince and balance a whole slew of different personalities, than one thing happens. The complainers begin to SHUT UP. The easier ones soon after he first arrives, the more difficult ones with a bit more work and usually after they see that the plan just might work. I have seen people complain literally up to the minute before the new head honcho walked in the door and never breath a word against the guy after he spoke his first sentence.

To cut your most talented player, or any of the core talent of the team, because they say things that can be interpreted as out of line before you even get there is just plain bad planning. If Saban is as good as people think he is, than he will be thinking to himself right now "This guy is talented and very loyal to his coach. GREAT! When I go in there I am sure to win him over with my vision and then I will have one of the most talented DE's who will give that loyalty to me and my plan, because my plan is a good one ." I have worked as a part time teacher, and, not to boast, I was pretty good at it. I have had students (7th through 12th grade) who I was told had attitude problems by the previous teacher, who, not to be too critical, was not great at taking charge of a classroom. So suddenly, all these attitude problem kids popped up in his class?! Bullsh!t Some of them were tough, but by the end they were really learning with me. The other guy didn't know how to lead and so the class started to crack as people recognized the vacuum in leadership and rushed to fill it. In football, like a classroom, when 53 different players feel insecure about a void in leadership and rush to fill it when its not their job and when they are not the one's that are qualified yet to do it, its a recipe for disaster. With a D this talented over the last several year, always top 10, with major playmakers, but with an uncanny nack for complaining and occassionally choking (bearing in mind they didn't often get support from the other side of the ball), the only reason that comes to mind is leadership. DW failed miserably and the players rushed to fill the void. If it were one real problem case who refused to let himself be coached or join the team (e.g., Kobe), I would understand the need to cut him. But when the problem is more ubiquitous, than the cause is often that the players even unconsiously feel the need to take on a role that isn't theirs. The HC has that job. If Saban is good, he won't cut them, he will give them what they want, even if they don't know they are asking for it, REAL LEADERSHIP. If he can't quell the complaints then I believe the problem would be with his ability to inspire and not the player's complacency. It doesn't mean he is bad coach, but it would show a major limitation.

That is why I would not be concerned about player loyalty to Bates. KB in a different thread said he thought, if Bates joined the team, it would behoove him to smooth things over with the players, and he is right. Football is not a democracy. While you need to recognize and reward individual effort, and you always need consesus and buy in to be succesful (people won't work their hardest just because of the pay check and your title if they don't think you are making the team progress and you don't proove yourself to be a leader), there is only one leader of a football team. Assuming Bates return to the fins, the only issue is whether he feels dissed or Saban feels threatened. Bates's main job is to support the vision of his boss and help him and challenge him to impliment it. Saban's, in relation to Bates, would have the job of utilizing Bates' skills and knowledge and relationship with the team to the best advantage. If Bates refuses, than he should not stay a Dolphin. If Saban would feel threatened, than I would again say that this would be a major limitation on him. If they get their business squared away, the players will naturally follow.

I hope Saban is the right man and knows how to inspire adult men who know they are powerful and talented athletes in a high paying professional sport loved by millions of fans. It's a tough job.

I don't think I would ever suggest cutting Jason Taylor for one comment, but they guy should be smart enough not to say anything like that, esp. now. I mean look at the flack Jay williams is catching and these same guys who are defending taylor are calling for williams's head. That is my main problem, don't call for the head of one guy if you don't do the same for both. Talent alone should not make up for attitude.

Ask BB if he values talent over attitude. Then ask lawyer malloy.

And I'm saying we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves by asking for anyone's head. I agree attitude is an issue, but you can only really assess it when there is an actual vision in place. I don't care so much about Jay Williams anyway, but I think there is a big difference between him making his comments now, when there is no real leadership or clear framework of accountability, or coach to set a media policy, and him making the comments when he has actually started working with Saban (which is iffy). A good leader would ignore all this crap. If Saban is confident he has got the goods than he knows he will get the best out his players. Even Jay Williams' comments don't mean he won't turn it around if he has real coach to work with.

And I will add that I like Bates, but he started mid season and is therefore handicapped to some extent. Also, the precedent set by DW works against him.

I am one of the guys who wanted bates over Saban also. Now onto the problem, It is 100 percent going to happen/happened that saban is jason's boss already. Why would it be difficult to just not say anything?

"jason how do you feel about the events these last two weeks?"

"I am not going to answer that, I have one more game to worry about before I think about next season..."

That is what he should have said. You keep your emotions to yourself, and you don't show your hand. That being said I would love to play jason in poker.

Ha ha... He should have some good $$ to lose too.

I see what you are saying. I am not supporting JT for his mishandling of the media. I just don't think player attitudes can be judged relative to a coach who hasn't shown up yet. Even when innapropriate things have been said, a true leader will be able to navigate the mess and see the talents and skills of the people he is in charge of and bring them together. It is only after he has tried that you can see if 1) he is a capable leader who can do that 2) if the particular person has too much of an attitude problem

Well we'll really see if saban wants to work with problem players when/if he keeps boston and jay williams won't we?

right. Though I think of Boston as having clearer problems (unless there are rumors about Williams I haven't heard about?) Steroid use and chronic complaining on different teams. Did Williams complain before he was here this crazy year? If not, as stupid as his comments may have been, I think the problem can easily be remedied. Of course, Saban may want to bring in someone he thinks will be a better player anyway

Well you know us guys that have to stay up till 8 am in the morning... we sometimes get very confused in our discussions...

Back
Top Bottom