Left and Right Safety v. Free and Strong Safety. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Left and Right Safety v. Free and Strong Safety.

this is just a guess since i only played one year of freshman high school football. left vs right means what side of the field you play. strong safety covers the side of the field where an extra lineman is. so if a tight end is on the right side then strong safety will be there. strong safety is usally the better tackler playing closer to the line of scrimmage anticipating run in that direction since more lineman are on that side. but i'm not positive.

Yes, the strong safety lines up on the "strong" side, usually "over" the TE. He's the safety who plays closer to the line of scrimmage, since he is also counted on to provide run support.

The free safety lines up more to the "weak" side. Unlike the strong safety, the FS stays back, as his primary responsibility is pass coverage. The free safety is the center fielder so to speak. He's also the "quarterback of the secondary", since he is responsible for making the presnap calls back there.

In Wanny/Bates' schemes, there really wasn't much difference between the two, since both guys generally stayed back and defended the pass.

Muck said:
Yes, the strong safety lines up on the "strong" side, usually "over" the TE. He's the safety who plays closer to the line of scrimmage, since he is also counted on to provide run support.

The free safety lines up more to the "weak" side. Unlike the strong safety, the FS stays back, as his primary responsibility is pass coverage. The free safety is the center fielder so to speak. He's also the "quarterback of the secondary", since he is responsible for making the presnap calls back there.

In Wanny/Bates' schemes, there really wasn't much difference between the two, since both guys generally stayed back and defended the pass.

Thanks Muck, I also had no clue what the difference was.

Well since this thread is about the left and right side, then what is the difference between the SS LB and the WS LB?

Well, most of us knew "Strong v. Free" saftey, but that still doesn't explain the distinction Saban made when someone asked about Schulters playing "free v. strong". Saban replied, we play "right and left" safety. So, other than right side of the field and left side of the field, what's the difference in Saban's scheme of things.

PhinDude88 said:
Well since this thread is about the left and right side, then what is the difference between the SS LB and the WS LB?
The side they play on, just like "Strong" v. "free", except there's no inherent distintion between run support v. coverage - they just play OLB - one of the strong side, one on the weak side.

it makes sense that we play left/right instead of strong/free because all our safetys seem like strong safetys. so it makes sense to get them comfortable w/ a side of the field.\

i have a feeling we will have a very aggresive d

that was the most annoying thing about the wanny era was the freaking 2 deep man under we played every game every season.

thecoordinator said:
that was the most annoying thing about the wanny era was the freaking 2 deep man under we played every game every season.

Exactly, if you were to think back you'd notice a trend throughout the Wanny years:

For the most part rookie or younger QB's really struggled vs our D and seasoned veterans were able to surgically pick it apart. This was not true in every instance but it seems like it was true more often then not.

You know who used to kill us, Doug Flutie. Don't laugh, I think we lost every single game vs the Flutie led Bills except for the playoff game in 1998. On the flip side of that coin we never lost to Rob Johnson.

Back
Top Bottom