Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Dec 11, 2012.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but I think its the smartest thing to do. Starks started off the season on fire but has cooled off a bit lately. We could easily move Odrick inside where he belongs and still have depth with randall, shelby, and vernon, and we could resign mcdaniel to a minimal deal. I dont think we would see much of a dropoff rolling with Odrick over starks. We would still have two 300+ DT's to clog the run and Wake is much improved at stopping the run as well. All I know is we desperately need to add a passrusher on the other side of wake, we cant ask him to do it all alone. I havent seen enough from vernon to go into next season with him and wake our primary pass rushers. I just dont know any other option unless we cut odrick and resign starks but dont we owe odrick a decent amount of $ from his rookie salary? What if we signed somebody like cliff avril? Would u like a Dline consisting of wake, solai, odrick, and avril? And we could rotate mcdaniel or randel on running downs. Here is a list of unrestricted pass rushing DE's.

Cliff Avril: 9.5 sacks
    Michael Bennett: 9 sacks
    Chris Clemons: 7.5 sacks
    Israel Idonije: 5 sacks
    Juqua Parker: 5 sacks
    Osi Umenyiora: 6 sacks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I think that will happen. I do not have a problem with it.

3. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

Dont have a problem with that at all bro. Ive been lobbying fir drafting an edge rusher (or two) for weeks now

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I would draft the DE though...Vernon needs to develop as well.

5. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

lol, starks has a few slow weeks n now ppl are callin for his head. no loyalty from this fanbase. there is no way i would let go of starks, he is one of the few playmakers on this defense.

6. Geordie

Geordie A True Fan

If Starks was in his 30's I could see the sense in this but I believe he's on 28 (could be wrong) and not likely too expensive to resign. But we have a lot of other more pressing holes to fill right now and if we don't get a WR in FA then that has to become our #1 target for the draft. If we do, and solidfy the oline and secondary then picking a pash rusher in the 1st and letting starks walk is a good call because there appears to be a lot of quality at DE in this draft.

7. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

The only thing I think is that Starks is going to command a lot of money. If we can get him for a Paul Soliai like deal than absolutely resign him, if we can't get him for cheap then let him walk. We don't have to throw too much money at him when we have a capable replacement in Odrick already on the roster.

8. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Re-sign Starks. Let McDaniels walk. Move Odrick back inside and sit Soliai on 3rd downs. Draft a pass rush DE or let Vernon develop.

You don't just let the anchor of your Defense and D-line walk out of town.

9. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

The DL is a strength and I could buy into letting Starks walk. Odrick is out of position as a DE and kicking him inside is not a big drop off. Additionally, that gives them more money to get an edge rusher.

10. phinatic1399

tough decisions have to be made

11. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Yes, we all know that the wide receivers and the offense is producing so much more than our defensive line. You do realize our d-line is widely know to be in the top 8 while our WR core in the bottom 3? Either CB or WR in round 1.

12. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I have been saying this for a while now. There is nothing against Randy Starks, he and Paul form a great team inside, and Randy is having a Pro Bowl type of year inside. But the Miami Dolphins need to play to whatever strengths they have. They have a guy in Jared Odrick who's best position would be as a DT in our 4-3. He has 2 years at a cheap number. You also could probably resign Tony Mcdaniel as a solid depth guy for a cheap price and you have Randall in the mix as well. You also have a GM in Jeff Ireland is has shown time and time again that his biggest strength is finding talent at DT. Hell we let go of some guys in preseason because we were loaded at the position.

It's not about Randy Starks having less stats by his name the past few weeks, its about doing whats best for your team . . . and if you can allocate money from a strength and not lose much and put that money towards a weakness, that could be the best option. You could also resign Starks and let Soliai walk after next season . . . but I prefer having big Paul over Randy.

We do need a DE this offseason, preferably in the draft in round 1. In fact, I am a big fan of focusing on defense in the first 3 rounds of the draft . . . going defense with 4 of our first 5 picks (WR with the other one) and looking at Free Agency for a guy like Jared Cook at TE and maybe Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace and also address RT in Free Agency (assuming we let Jake Walk). On day 3 of the draft I wanna find 2 offensive ZBS guards to compete with Jerry and Incogs, and more depth on defense.

13. finjim

finjim Banned Hammered

I put Starks in the same camp as Long.

If we can sign them for a reasonable price, keep them. If not, see what happens in FA.

14. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Starks is the only FA we have that's worth signing IMO. He's one of the most consistent players on the team.

15. phinatic1399

reggie bush needs to be resigned

16. finjim

finjim Banned Hammered

Not unless they are going to use him right. He needs 5-7 catches a game.

17. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I don't want us to give Starks a hugh contract but I'm hoping we can keep him. Odrick has only been average since OIreland made the mistake of drafting him and while he might be better at a DT, we don't know that for a fact. Starks is one of the best DT's in the NFL and will not be so easy to replace as some of you guys seem to think.If we can't fit him in under the cap I can understand going with plan B. But to make plan A letting him go is not a good idea imo.

Ozzy rules!!

18. SQuinn17

Why, so we can still use him wrong?

19. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Starks is very consistent, but he plays a position that we have guys and have proven to find guys to provide solid depth. You pass up talent like Earl Thomas and Dez Bryant (say what you want about him the kid has plenty of talent at a skill spot) in that draft for Jared Odrick you need to get this kid in a position to succeed and that is Randy Starks position. The GM that is most likely staying has shown where he can locate solid Defensive tackle depth. I don't know what Starks is going to command but I think it is going to be more than people believe. He is scheme versatile and he's still young. Miami needs playmakers at the skill positions.

20. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I would let Odrick walk and keep Starks

21. phinatic1399

If we used him right he is still a serious weapon. We need to keep the weapons on offense we have and add more. Getting rid of reggie bush is a mistake his body is fresh he was not a starting running back with the saints so he didnt take a beating. He can probably go another 3-4 years at a high level.

22. MRojas4

Very true, but you are going to let a top tier DT walk in hopes Odrick is a capable replacement? Odrick has shown flashes but not enough to convince me he is capable of walking in and taking over for Starks.

You let McDaniels walk who is getting a $3 mill this year. Odicks contact is reasonable at 5 year $13 mill. Keep a DT rotation of Soliai, Starks, and Odrick with Starks and Odrick playing primary passing downs (Soliai has not shown much on pass rush). Wake at DE and Vernon or FA/Draft at the other end.

Keep Odrick and Starks would also allow us to run heavier run defense packages. With Wake, Soliai, Starks, Odrick at the line like we have now.

23. Kdawg954

Nah man, Odrick is a for sure 4-3 DT who hasn't had a chance to play that position yet. Thats like saying lets see if Randy Starks can play DE opposite of Wake the last 3 games and lets put Odrick on the inside next to Big Paul. Odrick is playing 4-3 DE out of need, just like Starks was destined to play 3-4 NT and wasn't great at it either . . . just serviceable, like Odrick is now at end.

Plus Odrick is cheap man, 700,000 this year and the next year? Randy is going to get about 8 million a year I'd guess.

24. flynryan15

if Odrick was that big of force at DT he would be playing it, guy is odd man out. I don't care about cost I care about getting better.

25. Kdawg954

We don't know if he is the "big force" because we have a hole at 4-3 DE that needed filling and when you have a great player in Starks at that DT spot why force Odrick there? Odrick is a versatile dlineman that can play inside or outside but is much better suited as a DT in our 4-3. The fact that he is playing 4-3 end shows his versatility

I think we could get better if we take the money we would use on Randy Starks, get a big play WR with it, draft a pass rushing DE in the first round and move Odrick inside to his more natural position. That's just how I feel about it.

26. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

I might switch Odrick (DT)and Starks (DE) if he can be re-signed at a reasonable rate, hopefully he will not want to break the bank. I think McDaniels is the odd man out...too expensive for what we get. Try to re-sign Hartline, Busch, and Smith if it can be done at a reasonable rate, if any one of them wants to 'break the bank' seeya. Odrick has 2 years left on his contract, why would we let him walk?

27. MRojas4

In addition, you let Starks walk your left with what rotation.

Soliai, Odrick and... McCheeseburger Daniels?

28. SQuinn17

I think it's going to be tougher to fill his shoes than everyone thinks. Jared Odrick isn't a lock to succeed in his role, Odrick really hasn't done too much since he's been here. I know it'll be a cost saving move, but I'm not so sure it'll work out.

29. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Dependshow much money Starks is going to command.

30. phinatic1399

I agree 100%. Your not gonna see that much of a drop off if Odrick takes over at DT. Then we can use the $ saved on skill players like we need! Enough of this philosophy of being obsessed with offensive and defensive lineman. The Giants could care less about stopping the run all they care about is rushing the passer they know its a passing league now and its gotten them two superbowls. We have to break away from this big, plodding, slow style of football and start focusing on pass rushers and skill players. We've ranked in the top 5 all season stopping the run but where has that gotten us? 5-8 and out of the playoffs again.

31. Kdawg954

He was hurt in 2010. Played DE both in 2011 and 2012. All I am saying is do you remember when we moved Randy Starks to NT? He wasn't great either, but it had to be done out of necessity. It is not a coincedence that he is flourishing at his more natural position next to a guy like Paul Soliai and I would expect similar results if we moved Odrick inside. Is it a guarantee, no it isn't, but you have a cap to manage, and a GM who if he knows anything, he knows how to find DT tackle . . . you have to play to your strengths. This team needs playmakers at the skill positions. We can keep loading up on the DLine but we see it doesn't make a difference. Invest some money into some guys who can put points on the board and trust your GM to find the proper talent to replace a guy like Starks . . . talent that is probably already on the team.

32. SQuinn17

What good is a gun if you don't know how to shoot it?

33. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

I also think you have one of our young guy's come in in pass rush situations and put Odrick on the sideline... maybe Starks too, depending on how the youngsters do. That's not counting my choice as first round pass rusher, that is just status quo.

34. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

I kinda like this idea actually because Odrick is never going to be a premiere pass rusher and we do need a DE opposite of Wake. This is the only way it makes sense unless Vernon / Shelby prove that they can be that premiere pass rusher. Honestly, I would like to see more of those guys over the next few weeks for simple "Talent evaluation" purposes.

35. SQuinn17

I feel what your saying, but If I remember correctly, Randy Starks played multiple position early in his time with us and not just NT.

36. Kdawg954

Yea man, that's why I understand not resigning Long as well. If Joe Philbin is here to change the philosophy, it needs to be done this offseason with the cap room and draft picks. I fully expect to see a competitive product on the field next season or he can go to. No excuses man. Put some points on the board . . . you have your handpicked QB and the resources.

37. phinatic1399

[QUOTEWhat good is a gun if you don't know how to shoot it? ][/QUOTE]

I agree, still think he needs to be resigned

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

I agree, its time to load up with weapons on offense and add some pass rushers and CB's on defense.

38. flynryan15

Gonna need that first rd pick for a cb or wr not sure i would bank on a wr in FA.

39. Kdawg954

Randy is versatile . . . lets not kid ourselves . . . I really LIKE Randy Starks. All I'm saying is Miami needs to play to it's strengths . . . and I'd rather use the money from Starks on a playmaker at WR and have Mcdaniel/Randall as depth than keep Starks and have Odrick/Randall as depth. We are discounting a first round pick who hasn't had the opportunity to play his natural position. If we are keeping Jeff Ireland, you have to trust in his ability to find Defensive Tackle talent. I don't trust him with much, but I do trust that our Defensive tackles will be fine, with or without Randy Starks.

40. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

starks can get interceptions we need him lmao