Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but I think its the smartest thing to do. Starks started off the season on fire but has cooled off a bit lately. We could easily move Odrick inside where he belongs and still have depth with randall, shelby, and vernon, and we could resign mcdaniel to a minimal deal. I dont think we would see much of a dropoff rolling with Odrick over starks. We would still have two 300+ DT's to clog the run and Wake is much improved at stopping the run as well. All I know is we desperately need to add a passrusher on the other side of wake, we cant ask him to do it all alone. I havent seen enough from vernon to go into next season with him and wake our primary pass rushers. I just dont know any other option unless we cut odrick and resign starks but dont we owe odrick a decent amount of $ from his rookie salary? What if we signed somebody like cliff avril? Would u like a Dline consisting of wake, solai, odrick, and avril? And we could rotate mcdaniel or randel on running downs. Here is a list of unrestricted pass rushing DE's.

Cliff Avril: 9.5 sacks
Michael Bennett: 9 sacks
Chris Clemons: 7.5 sacks
Israel Idonije: 5 sacks
Juqua Parker: 5 sacks
Osi Umenyiora: 6 sacks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that will happen. I do not have a problem with it.

Dont have a problem with that at all bro. Ive been lobbying fir drafting an edge rusher (or two) for weeks now

I would draft the DE though...Vernon needs to develop as well.

lol, starks has a few slow weeks n now ppl are callin for his head. no loyalty from this fanbase. there is no way i would let go of starks, he is one of the few playmakers on this defense.

If Starks was in his 30's I could see the sense in this but I believe he's on 28 (could be wrong) and not likely too expensive to resign. But we have a lot of other more pressing holes to fill right now and if we don't get a WR in FA then that has to become our #1 target for the draft. If we do, and solidfy the oline and secondary then picking a pash rusher in the 1st and letting starks walk is a good call because there appears to be a lot of quality at DE in this draft.

If Starks was in his 30's I could see the sense in this but I believe he's on 28 (could be wrong) and not likely too expensive to resign. But we have a lot of other more pressing holes to fill right now and if we don't get a WR in FA then that has to become our #1 target for the draft. If we do, and solidfy the oline and secondary then picking a pash rusher in the 1st and letting starks walk is a good call because there appears to be a lot of quality at DE in this draft.

The only thing I think is that Starks is going to command a lot of money. If we can get him for a Paul Soliai like deal than absolutely resign him, if we can't get him for cheap then let him walk. We don't have to throw too much money at him when we have a capable replacement in Odrick already on the roster.

Re-sign Starks. Let McDaniels walk. Move Odrick back inside and sit Soliai on 3rd downs. Draft a pass rush DE or let Vernon develop.

You don't just let the anchor of your Defense and D-line walk out of town.

The DL is a strength and I could buy into letting Starks walk. Odrick is out of position as a DE and kicking him inside is not a big drop off. Additionally, that gives them more money to get an edge rusher.

Yes, we all know that the wide receivers and the offense is producing so much more than our defensive line. You do realize our d-line is widely know to be in the top 8 while our WR core in the bottom 3? Either CB or WR in round 1.

I have been saying this for a while now. There is nothing against Randy Starks, he and Paul form a great team inside, and Randy is having a Pro Bowl type of year inside. But the Miami Dolphins need to play to whatever strengths they have. They have a guy in Jared Odrick who's best position would be as a DT in our 4-3. He has 2 years at a cheap number. You also could probably resign Tony Mcdaniel as a solid depth guy for a cheap price and you have Randall in the mix as well. You also have a GM in Jeff Ireland is has shown time and time again that his biggest strength is finding talent at DT. Hell we let go of some guys in preseason because we were loaded at the position.

It's not about Randy Starks having less stats by his name the past few weeks, its about doing whats best for your team . . . and if you can allocate money from a strength and not lose much and put that money towards a weakness, that could be the best option. You could also resign Starks and let Soliai walk after next season . . . but I prefer having big Paul over Randy.

We do need a DE this offseason, preferably in the draft in round 1. In fact, I am a big fan of focusing on defense in the first 3 rounds of the draft . . . going defense with 4 of our first 5 picks (WR with the other one) and looking at Free Agency for a guy like Jared Cook at TE and maybe Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace and also address RT in Free Agency (assuming we let Jake Walk). On day 3 of the draft I wanna find 2 offensive ZBS guards to compete with Jerry and Incogs, and more depth on defense.

I put Starks in the same camp as Long.

If we can sign them for a reasonable price, keep them. If not, see what happens in FA.

Starks is the only FA we have that's worth signing IMO. He's one of the most consistent players on the team.

Back
Top Bottom