Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE

I don't want us to give Starks a hugh contract but I'm hoping we can keep him. Odrick has only been average since OIreland made the mistake of drafting him and while he might be better at a DT, we don't know that for a fact. Starks is one of the best DT's in the NFL and will not be so easy to replace as some of you guys seem to think.If we can't fit him in under the cap I can understand going with plan B. But to make plan A letting him go is not a good idea imo.

Ozzy rules!!

Starks is the only FA we have that's worth signing IMO. He's one of the most consistent players on the team.

Starks is very consistent, but he plays a position that we have guys and have proven to find guys to provide solid depth. You pass up talent like Earl Thomas and Dez Bryant (say what you want about him the kid has plenty of talent at a skill spot) in that draft for Jared Odrick you need to get this kid in a position to succeed and that is Randy Starks position. The GM that is most likely staying has shown where he can locate solid Defensive tackle depth. I don't know what Starks is going to command but I think it is going to be more than people believe. He is scheme versatile and he's still young. Miami needs playmakers at the skill positions.

Why, so we can still use him wrong?

If we used him right he is still a serious weapon. We need to keep the weapons on offense we have and add more. Getting rid of reggie bush is a mistake his body is fresh he was not a starting running back with the saints so he didnt take a beating. He can probably go another 3-4 years at a high level.

tough decisions have to be made

Very true, but you are going to let a top tier DT walk in hopes Odrick is a capable replacement? Odrick has shown flashes but not enough to convince me he is capable of walking in and taking over for Starks.

You let McDaniels walk who is getting a $3 mill this year. Odicks contact is reasonable at 5 year $13 mill. Keep a DT rotation of Soliai, Starks, and Odrick with Starks and Odrick playing primary passing downs (Soliai has not shown much on pass rush). Wake at DE and Vernon or FA/Draft at the other end.

Keep Odrick and Starks would also allow us to run heavier run defense packages. With Wake, Soliai, Starks, Odrick at the line like we have now.

I would let Odrick walk and keep Starks

Nah man, Odrick is a for sure 4-3 DT who hasn't had a chance to play that position yet. Thats like saying lets see if Randy Starks can play DE opposite of Wake the last 3 games and lets put Odrick on the inside next to Big Paul. Odrick is playing 4-3 DE out of need, just like Starks was destined to play 3-4 NT and wasn't great at it either . . . just serviceable, like Odrick is now at end.

Plus Odrick is cheap man, 700,000 this year and the next year? Randy is going to get about 8 million a year I'd guess.

Nah man, Odrick is a for sure 4-3 DT who hasn't had a chance to play that position yet. Thats like saying lets see if Randy Starks can play DE opposite of Wake the last 3 games and lets put Odrick on the inside next to Big Paul. Odrick is playing 4-3 DE out of need, just like Starks was destined to play 3-4 NT and wasn't great at it either . . . just serviceable, like Odrick is now at end.

Plus Odrick is cheap man, 700,00 this year and the next year? Randy is going to get about 8 million a year I'd guess.

if Odrick was that big of force at DT he would be playing it, guy is odd man out. I don't care about cost I care about getting better.

if Odrick was that big of force at DT he would be playing it, guy is odd man out. I don't care about cost I care about getting better.

We don't know if he is the "big force" because we have a hole at 4-3 DE that needed filling and when you have a great player in Starks at that DT spot why force Odrick there? Odrick is a versatile dlineman that can play inside or outside but is much better suited as a DT in our 4-3. The fact that he is playing 4-3 end shows his versatility

I think we could get better if we take the money we would use on Randy Starks, get a big play WR with it, draft a pass rushing DE in the first round and move Odrick inside to his more natural position. That's just how I feel about it.

I might switch Odrick (DT)and Starks (DE) if he can be re-signed at a reasonable rate, hopefully he will not want to break the bank. I think McDaniels is the odd man out...too expensive for what we get. Try to re-sign Hartline, Busch, and Smith if it can be done at a reasonable rate, if any one of them wants to 'break the bank' seeya. Odrick has 2 years left on his contract, why would we let him walk?

In addition, you let Starks walk your left with what rotation.

Soliai, Odrick and... McCheeseburger Daniels?

Starks is very consistent, but he plays a position that we have guys and have proven to find guys to provide solid depth. You pass up talent like Earl Thomas and Dez Bryant (say what you want about him the kid has plenty of talent at a skill spot) in that draft for Jared Odrick you need to get this kid in a position to succeed and that is Randy Starks position. The GM that is most likely staying has shown where he can locate solid Defensive tackle depth. I don't know what Starks is going to command but I think it is going to be more than people believe. He is scheme versatile and he's still young. Miami needs playmakers at the skill positions.
I think it's going to be tougher to fill his shoes than everyone thinks. Jared Odrick isn't a lock to succeed in his role, Odrick really hasn't done too much since he's been here. I know it'll be a cost saving move, but I'm not so sure it'll work out.

I think we could get better if we take the money we would use on Randy Starks, get a big play WR with it, draft a pass rushing DE in the first round and move Odrick inside to his more natural position. That's just how I feel about it.

I agree 100%. Your not gonna see that much of a drop off if Odrick takes over at DT. Then we can use the $ saved on skill players like we need! Enough of this philosophy of being obsessed with offensive and defensive lineman. The Giants could care less about stopping the run all they care about is rushing the passer they know its a passing league now and its gotten them two superbowls. We have to break away from this big, plodding, slow style of football and start focusing on pass rushers and skill players. We've ranked in the top 5 all season stopping the run but where has that gotten us? 5-8 and out of the playoffs again.

Back
Top Bottom