Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let Starks walk, move Odrick inside, sign or draft pass rushing DE

I think it's going to be tougher to fill his shoes than everyone thinks. Jared Odrick isn't a lock to succeed in his role, Odrick really hasn't done too much since he's been here. I know it'll be a cost saving move, but I'm not so sure it'll work out.

He was hurt in 2010. Played DE both in 2011 and 2012. All I am saying is do you remember when we moved Randy Starks to NT? He wasn't great either, but it had to be done out of necessity. It is not a coincedence that he is flourishing at his more natural position next to a guy like Paul Soliai and I would expect similar results if we moved Odrick inside. Is it a guarantee, no it isn't, but you have a cap to manage, and a GM who if he knows anything, he knows how to find DT tackle . . . you have to play to your strengths. This team needs playmakers at the skill positions. We can keep loading up on the DLine but we see it doesn't make a difference. Invest some money into some guys who can put points on the board and trust your GM to find the proper talent to replace a guy like Starks . . . talent that is probably already on the team.

If we used him right he is still a serious weapon. We need to keep the weapons on offense we have and add more. Getting rid of reggie bush is a mistake his body is fresh he was not a starting running back with the saints so he didnt take a beating. He can probably go another 3-4 years at a high level.
What good is a gun if you don't know how to shoot it?

I also think you have one of our young guy's come in in pass rush situations and put Odrick on the sideline... maybe Starks too, depending on how the youngsters do. That's not counting my choice as first round pass rusher, that is just status quo.

I kinda like this idea actually because Odrick is never going to be a premiere pass rusher and we do need a DE opposite of Wake. This is the only way it makes sense unless Vernon / Shelby prove that they can be that premiere pass rusher. Honestly, I would like to see more of those guys over the next few weeks for simple "Talent evaluation" purposes.

He was hurt in 2010. Played DE both in 2011 and 2012. All I am saying is do you remember when we moved Randy Starks to NT? He wasn't great either, but it had to be done out of necessity. It is not a coincedence that he is flourishing at his more natural position next to a guy like Paul Soliai and I would expect similar results if we moved Odrick inside. Is it a guarantee, no it isn't, but you have a cap to manage, and a GM who if he knows anything, he knows how to find DT tackle . . . you have to play to your strengths. This team needs playmakers at the skill positions. We can keep loading up on the DLine but we see it doesn't make a difference. Invest some money into some guys who can put points on the board and trust your GM to find the proper talent to replace a guy like Starks . . . talent that is probably already on the team.
I feel what your saying, but If I remember correctly, Randy Starks played multiple position early in his time with us and not just NT.

I agree 100%. Your not gonna see that much of a drop off if Odrick takes over at DT. Then we can use the $ saved on skill players like we need! Enough of this philosophy of being obsessed with offensive and defensive lineman. The Giants could care less about stopping the run all they care about is rushing the passer they know its a passing league now and its gotten them two superbowls. We have to break away from this big, plodding, slow style of football and start focusing on pass rushers and skill players. We've ranked in the top 5 all season stopping the run but where has that gotten us? 5-8 and out of the playoffs again.

Yea man, that's why I understand not resigning Long as well. If Joe Philbin is here to change the philosophy, it needs to be done this offseason with the cap room and draft picks. I fully expect to see a competitive product on the field next season or he can go to. No excuses man. Put some points on the board . . . you have your handpicked QB and the resources.

[QUOTEWhat good is a gun if you don't know how to shoot it? ][/QUOTE]

I agree, still think he needs to be resigned

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Yea man, that's why I understand not resigning Long as well. If Joe Philbin is here to change the philosophy, it needs to be done this offseason with the cap room and draft picks. I fully expect to see a competitive product on the field next season or he can go to. No excuses man. Put some points on the board . . . you have your handpicked QB and the resources.

I agree, its time to load up with weapons on offense and add some pass rushers and CB's on defense.

We don't know if he is the "big force" because we have a hole at 4-3 DE that needed filling and when you have a great player in Starks at that DT spot why force Odrick there? Odrick is a versatile dlineman that can play inside or outside but is much better suited as a DT in our 4-3. The fact that he is playing 4-3 end shows his versatility

I think we could get better if we take the money we would use on Randy Starks, get a big play WR with it, draft a pass rushing DE in the first round and move Odrick inside to his more natural position. That's just how I feel about it.

Gonna need that first rd pick for a cb or wr not sure i would bank on a wr in FA.

I feel what your saying, but If I remember correctly, Randy Starks played multiple position early in his time with us and not just NT.

Randy is versatile . . . lets not kid ourselves . . . I really LIKE Randy Starks. All I'm saying is Miami needs to play to it's strengths . . . and I'd rather use the money from Starks on a playmaker at WR and have Mcdaniel/Randall as depth than keep Starks and have Odrick/Randall as depth. We are discounting a first round pick who hasn't had the opportunity to play his natural position. If we are keeping Jeff Ireland, you have to trust in his ability to find Defensive Tackle talent. I don't trust him with much, but I do trust that our Defensive tackles will be fine, with or without Randy Starks.

Gonna need that first rd pick for a cb or wr not sure i would bank on a wr in FA.

Yea its a tough decision . . . especially at CB. I think WR we will be fine (the outcry by the fans and the options and draft/FA are solid reasons why I'm sure the position will be addressed well this offseason). Green Bay has a gauntlet of 2nd and 3rd round WR and there will be good value at WR in this draft in those rounds . . . we have 4 picks. I'm thinking DE with that first pick . . . . resigning Sean Smith and taking a CB in round 2. Move Marshall over to FS. I just don't know if we are getting a better talent by taking CB in round 1 over a DE. Still early and things change but I feel like we would be reaching for a CB with this group if we took one in the top 15.

I still wish we had Vontae though . . . just makes resigning Smith less of a priority . . . I don't know if I want to enter a weak CB FA class, not resign Sean Smith and be forced into a CB early in the draft. Sean Smith almost certainly needs to be resigned.

They cut Marshall, just because Greenbay finds WR in the second ad third round doesn't mean we can. A lot is to be determined by who is out GM, if it is Ireland then I'm sure we will draft de in the first round. Not sure I bring Smith back he just isn't that good and he will want top dollar.

They cut Marshall, just because Greenbay finds WR in the second ad third round doesn't mean we can. A lot is to be determined by who is out GM, if it is Ireland then I'm sure we will draft de in the first round. Not sure I bring Smith back he just isn't that good and he will want top dollar.

I thought Marshall was just on IR? He's still a Dolphin come next season, right?

If Smith wants top dollar you actually might have to franchise him for a year and get your rookie CB's up to speed. I don't know if I trust MIami to go into the season with Carroll, Wilson, Stanford and 2 rookies. Sean Smith is going to probably be one of the best if not the best CB's on the market.

Vonte at 85% of his huge potential would have been great, but the true Vonte to this point was closer to 50%, ant that just was not enough... from a team standpoint where you are trying to max potential on every man on the roster. Slackers like Vonte and Marshall were a cancer to the guy's who want to succede. I could live with a stud lock down corner but I think at #12 the best will be gone.

I thought Marshall was just on IR? He's still a Dolphin come next season, right?

If Smith wants top dollar you actually might have to franchise him for a year and get your rookie CB's up to speed. I don't know if I trust MIami to go into the season with Carroll, Wilson, Stanford and 2 rookies. Sean Smith is going to probably be one of the best if not the best CB's on the market.

I'm pretty sure the cut him from IR I might be wrong though. Well they went with Davis and Smith as rookies so anything is possible but no way you tag smith with what it cost for a cb!

Back
Top Bottom