Lets draft a real playmaker - Xavier Su'a-Filo

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by uk_dolfan, May 5, 2014.

1. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Ive been wondering about what to do in draft for ages and I have now decided on what I want and that is LG Xavier Su'a-Filo.

Lets get 1 thing straight here - our line sucks. We have 2 starters. You want touchdowns, yards and a running game? then fix the damn line.

You want a day 1 starter, who will keep that position for 10 years? Well here you go. He may not be as good as last years 2 top guards (who went much higher than 19) but Su'a is a very good left guard prospect and would be good value in the later third of the draft around our pick. Like Pouncey, it wouldn't be sexy and it wont sell jerseys but if you get an above average player who makes you better then who cares. Su'a would help both the passing and running game - some demand "playmakers" well this guy will keep the QB out of the dirt so Su'a will put more points on the board.

[video=youtube;DC4z8dRewZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4z8dRewZA[/video]

[video=youtube;VUtzj6Lmpwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUtzj6Lmpwk[/video]

[video=youtube;11h98BEU7xw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11h98BEU7xw[/video]

[video=youtube;h5nzfylvKJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nzfylvKJI[/video]

Im not a fan of the linebacker prospects for various reasons and we really badly need line help. We can reach for a ok RT, or we can get a stud LG ... easy decision for me. Take Su'a at 19 if we have to or take a slight trade down and pick him up - not sexy, not an espn day 1 "value" flashy pick - but you get a damn good player who makes a noticeable impact on our offence from day 1. Albert, Su'a and Pouncey is a very strong left side of the line.

Su'a is the sort of athletic lineman we have been crying out for over the last 2 years, he plays hard, he is a great scheme fit and we badly need a left guard.

GET ME SOME GRADE A CORN

And Yes I would then draft a RT in the second, but thats a topic for another thread.

2. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Only in a trade down - then I am down for it

3. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I will be honest. I do not think XSF is the pick, but I love the player and would totally defend the pick.

4. uk_dolfan

meh the value side of the first round is overrated imo, I would try for a trade down but as half the draft wants to trade down this year id still take him if we can't get one. If he makes a difference to you at 25 he makes a difference at 15 imo. Its like Pouncey, good player by any reckoning despite what some would say about where his position should go in the draft

5. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

You can trade down and still get him later mabe even top of second - draft is full of linemen - Play-maker on Defense is the play in the first if Martin is off the board at #19 -> then Offense in the 2nd and third -> baring a trade down but like you say -> it won't be easy to trade out of 19 unless all the QBs drop

6. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Ideally you trade down a little but if Su'a-Filo is the pick at nineteen it makes a ton of sense. He's an outstanding pass protector and it'd go a long way to reducing the sacks against from last year. He plays with good leverage and technique. He's got power and anchor against bull rushes and rarely gives ground against speed. He's highly athletic, fits the ZBS, he's mobile and can get out to the second level quickly. Above average run blocker…

7. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

I've now read reports on that lb Shazier and this guard and Id feel OK about either. I don't think Hickey could do anything Thursday to where we could have a legit gripe. 19 is such a 'meh' draft position that we won't know for a LONG time if our draft was good or bad.

Failing to win games 15 and 16 last year is still haunting us. 8-8 last year really hurts right now. BAD.

8. uk_dolfan

Everybody wants to trade down this year it might not happen for us

This draft isn't as full of linemen as people make out. Especially at RT well that's my opinion at least. I think su'a is much more than jag on the line as well and would prioritise him over the ok right guard prospects in a similar pick range like moses.

My view on the draft is this if there's a player you think will make a difference to your team you don't mess around and you make sure you get him.

This was my view on eifert last year... I thought he would make a big difference to our team and I would have ran to the podium to take him at 12 even if that didn't fit the media view of "value"

9. uk_dolfan

The only pick we could make (besides a qb) that would leave me furious would be the tackle from bama who's name I can't spell on the pc nevermind my phone lol

There's actually some good prospects avaliable in our range. I also like mosley at lb but have injury concerns with him

10. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

I just like typing XSF...

11. uk_dolfan

XSF will have a better career than RG3 in more than just nickname comparisons lol

12. FSU Truth

XSF
    ASJ

Who else who can be referred to by just the initials can we draft....

13. uk_dolfan

zt2.0

14. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't do this if Morgan Moses is still there. It's not so much about value as it is about teams making a run on tackles and the value of the position in the draft. This is why guards traditionally don't make a lot of noise until the 3rd round. My reasoning is that I believe we can still get an elite guard at #50. I think Joel Bitonio, Gabe Jackson, and Dakota Dozier will all be around.

I agree with your assessment about fixing the line first, I think this is our highest priority.

15. uk_dolfan

Moses is JAG to me but fair comment.... though I'd be shocked if Bitonio is there at 50... apparantly he could go in the first

16. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

LDT - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, the French Canadian OT monster

17. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I absolutely love this pick if the coaches are hellbent at putting Thomas at tackle. X, Pouncey, and Albert would make a formidable side of a line. Shelly Smith and Thomas on the other side wouldn't be horrible either. We have our franchise qb, we have WRs on contract, why not make the OL solid to see what can happen?

To be fair, I've always liked solid guard play especially with the athleticism of DTs these days. They can double team with a tackle, pull on a screen, power forward in 3rd and short, and help punch in at the goal line. It's a versatile position and having talent there would be real nice.

18. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

Are you advocating that we take XSF even if Martin is available, or to take him if Martin is gone? I definitely like him too, just not sure if we should take him over Martin if he is there.

19. uk_dolfan

Martin will be gone long before we get to pick.

20. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

Some say he will, and some say he won't. What if he isn't, then what? You take Martin or XSF? Just curious.

Edit:
    For those who may think that taking XSF ahead of Martin as incomprehensible need look no further than Matt Smith's mock draft at NFL.com. He has us taking XSF and then the Cardinals taking Martin.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-mockdrafts

21. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Agreed. With more teams lining up in spread formation, the D has countered by more A Gap blitzes. Hence, OG's are becoming more important.

19 is a little early for XSF.

I'd like to see Miami trade down, but, it may not be feasible. The best option may be if SF gets antsy for a WR or CB and wants to trade.

I keep seeing mocks where the donkeys draft XSF @ 31.

p.s. I like XSF @ 19 more than Moses or Mosely.

22. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

As unfair as it is I think the 2 year sabbatical is going to hurt him and he's a good candidate to slide quite a bit. Just on football ability I think he's probably worthy of the 19th pick but you have to question his overall commitment to the game.

23. uk_dolfan

I'd take Martin no doubt about it, Martin would also be a strong long term LG but also could play RT day 1

However I'm working on the assumption that he goes at 12 to the giants and if that doesn't happen I'd be shocked if he gets past the steelers and ravens

24. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

I am leaning towards Martin over XSF, too, but only because he may be able to play RT. For what it is worth, Mayock said that as an OG he would rate Martin higher than XSF.

I wonder if there is anyone here at FH who would take XSF over Martin? If so, why?

25. circumstances

circumstances Starter

not me. martin can play RT, but, as mayock (and many others) have stated, would likely be a perennial pro bowler at OG.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

and to add: i like XSF a lot.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

and to add again: how about Martin at 19 and XSF at 50! :)

26. FSU Truth

XSF won't make it out of round 1

27. uk_dolfan

hes a better player sure... but hes going to go 10 maybe 15 picks above XSF

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

martin wont be there at 19 xsf wont be there at 50

andrew luck woulda been nice at 8 the other year though lol

28. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

One third of the 1st round 2011 Draft class didn't get their 5th year option exercised and can therefore be regarded as failures for a variety of reasons. Mike Pouncey was our pick in 2011 and at the time he was seen as an unglamorous pick. Today, he is the sole good O-lineman that we drafted and he even made it to last year's Pro Bowl. These picks don't have to be sexy.
    XSF is an extremely safe bet to succeed in the NFL. He fits our system, he is athletic, he is high character, he has a good work ethic, he is smart, he is a natural leader and he can contribute straight away. In short it is hard to find safe picks in the 1st round and we shouldn't try to get cute about picking him up a little later. Eg I would be very disappointed if he happened to land in New England's lap because we hope to get him later.
    I support the OP 100% - XSF would look great in aqua and white.

29. circumstances

circumstances Starter

i can dream, can't i ?!? ;)

30. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I like the fact that this team has been so abysmal for so long that we think offensive linemen are playmakers.

31. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

So far I have counted "posters" stating that 8 Oline will be taken in the first round.... That's a lot of Play-makers left on th table -> c'mon! (Moses, XSF, Bitonio, James, Martin, Lewan, Matthews, Robinson, Koujandjio) So let's say that 6 Oline go in the first leaving Koujandjio, Moses and Biotonio off -> then who drops?

People can't be serious that all these WRs are going to fall? This is a great draft people... We havenb't even added up the Mewhorts, Richardsons and Billy Turners, Trai Turners, and that CDN French dude can play RT for me Duvernay-Tardiff

32. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Why settle for abysmal when perpetually mediocre will do??

33. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

I like Mewhort in round 3 ( especially if we trade down for more picks.). He's scrappy!

34. FSU Truth

He's the top Guard

Matthews, Lewan, Robinson, Martin, XSF....are 1st round talents and when you think about an offensive line makes up almost a quarter of a team starters it is not hard to believe that about a quarter of the draft will go towards that area...

35. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

I'm I the only one that's not really impressed by Shazier? Id be happy with trading down and XSF.

36. Djavelin

Djavelin Head Dolphin In This Pod Donator

I like him. We need to make this line solid.

37. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

My dream scenario, as stated weeks ago, is a trade down and grabbing this Guard. Picking up another 2nd or high 3rd would allow for a nice pick outside of another olineman being picked.

Fix the line, the rest will fall into place. Those stating otherwise, learned nothing last year, and are pushing their own agenda of rebuilding in their image.

2 of my first 3 picks are going to the oline.

Also some of the people advocating taking 'playmakers', outside of need. Are the same people advocating bring back Clabo or McKinnie. Which tells me they learned nothing.

38. roy_miami

What I learned was after acquiring McKinnie the line was good enough to make a run at the playoffs, and McKinnie was no all-pro at the LT position to say the least. Albert, Moreno and hopefully Lazor will all be huge upgrades so this chicken little routine should be over with.

39. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

So a RB is brought in to help the offensive line, and not be a weapon? Oh boy.

They were good enough, until the last 2 games, when that line was dominated by the likes of the Jets and Bills.

40. roy_miami

RBs do both, in fact its very important they are good at doing both. We had one running back that was good at running but sucked at pass pro and the other was good at nothing.

In our offense we pass to set up the run so if our RBs want to get a lot of carries they better take matters into their own hands and help out on pass pro.