Lets draft a real playmaker - Xavier Su'a-Filo | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets draft a real playmaker - Xavier Su'a-Filo

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Ive been wondering about what to do in draft for ages and I have now decided on what I want and that is LG Xavier Su'a-Filo.

Lets get 1 thing straight here - our line sucks. We have 2 starters. You want touchdowns, yards and a running game? then fix the damn line.

You want a day 1 starter, who will keep that position for 10 years? Well here you go. He may not be as good as last years 2 top guards (who went much higher than 19) but Su'a is a very good left guard prospect and would be good value in the later third of the draft around our pick. Like Pouncey, it wouldn't be sexy and it wont sell jerseys but if you get an above average player who makes you better then who cares. Su'a would help both the passing and running game - some demand "playmakers" well this guy will keep the QB out of the dirt so Su'a will put more points on the board.

[video=youtube;DC4z8dRewZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4z8dRewZA[/video]

[video=youtube;VUtzj6Lmpwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUtzj6Lmpwk[/video]

[video=youtube;11h98BEU7xw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11h98BEU7xw[/video]

[video=youtube;h5nzfylvKJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nzfylvKJI[/video]

Im not a fan of the linebacker prospects for various reasons and we really badly need line help. We can reach for a ok RT, or we can get a stud LG ... easy decision for me. Take Su'a at 19 if we have to or take a slight trade down and pick him up - not sexy, not an espn day 1 "value" flashy pick - but you get a damn good player who makes a noticeable impact on our offence from day 1. Albert, Su'a and Pouncey is a very strong left side of the line.

Su'a is the sort of athletic lineman we have been crying out for over the last 2 years, he plays hard, he is a great scheme fit and we badly need a left guard.

GET ME SOME GRADE A CORN

And Yes I would then draft a RT in the second, but thats a topic for another thread.

I will be honest. I do not think XSF is the pick, but I love the player and would totally defend the pick.

Only in a trade down - then O am down for it

meh the value side of the first round is overrated imo, I would try for a trade down but as half the draft wants to trade down this year id still take him if we can't get one. If he makes a difference to you at 25 he makes a difference at 15 imo. Its like Pouncey, good player by any reckoning despite what some would say about where his position should go in the draft

meh the value side of the first round is overrated imo, I would try for a trade down but as half the draft wants to trade down this year id still take him if we can't get one. If he makes a difference to you at 25 he makes a difference at 15 imo. Its like Pouncey, good player by any reckoning despite what some would say about where his position should go in the draft

You can trade down and still get him later mabe even top of second - draft is full of linemen - Play-maker on Defense is the play in the first if Martin is off the board at #19 -> then Offense in the 2nd and third -> baring a trade down but like you say -> it won't be easy to trade out of 19 unless all the QBs drop

Ideally you trade down a little but if Su'a-Filo is the pick at nineteen it makes a ton of sense. He's an outstanding pass protector and it'd go a long way to reducing the sacks against from last year. He plays with good leverage and technique. He's got power and anchor against bull rushes and rarely gives ground against speed. He's highly athletic, fits the ZBS, he's mobile and can get out to the second level quickly. Above average run blocker…

I've now read reports on that lb Shazier and this guard and Id feel OK about either. I don't think Hickey could do anything Thursday to where we could have a legit gripe. 19 is such a 'meh' draft position that we won't know for a LONG time if our draft was good or bad.

Failing to win games 15 and 16 last year is still haunting us. 8-8 last year really hurts right now. BAD.

You can trade down and still get him later mabe even top of second - draft is full of linemen - Play-maker on Defense is the play in the first if Martin is off the board at #19 -> then Offense in the 2nd and third -> baring a trade down but like you say -> it won't be easy to trade out of 19 unless all the QBs drop

Everybody wants to trade down this year it might not happen for us

This draft isn't as full of linemen as people make out. Especially at RT well that's my opinion at least. I think su'a is much more than jag on the line as well and would prioritise him over the ok right guard prospects in a similar pick range like moses.

My view on the draft is this if there's a player you think will make a difference to your team you don't mess around and you make sure you get him.

This was my view on eifert last year... I thought he would make a big difference to our team and I would have ran to the podium to take him at 12 even if that didn't fit the media view of "value"

I've now read reports on that lb Shazier and this guard and Id feel OK about either. I don't think Hickey could do anything Thursday to where we could have a legit gripe. 19 is such a 'meh' draft position that we won't know for a LONG time if our draft was good or bad.

Failing to win games 15 and 16 last year is still haunting us. 8-8 last year really hurts right now. BAD.

The only pick we could make (besides a qb) that would leave me furious would be the tackle from bama who's name I can't spell on the pc nevermind my phone lol

There's actually some good prospects avaliable in our range. I also like mosley at lb but have injury concerns with him

I just like typing XSF...

XSF will have a better career than RG3 in more than just nickname comparisons lol

XSF
ASJ

Who else who can be referred to by just the initials can we draft....

I don't do this if Morgan Moses is still there. It's not so much about value as it is about teams making a run on tackles and the value of the position in the draft. This is why guards traditionally don't make a lot of noise until the 3rd round. My reasoning is that I believe we can still get an elite guard at #50. I think Joel Bitonio, Gabe Jackson, and Dakota Dozier will all be around.

I agree with your assessment about fixing the line first, I think this is our highest priority.

Moses is JAG to me but fair comment.... though I'd be shocked if Bitonio is there at 50... apparantly he could go in the first

Back
Top Bottom