Let's give a shout out to Stephen M. Ross for hiring Adam Gase | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's give a shout out to Stephen M. Ross for hiring Adam Gase

News clippings from January

Almost a year ago…
Jan 5 2016—Armando Salguero, Miami Herald

Even as the Miami Dolphins wade through the first steps of their current head coaching search, some members of their search committee have favorite candidates early on. One of those is club owner Stephen Ross, who has the ultimate and final say on who his team hires.

And I have been told by multiple people that Ross most likes Adam Gase at the start of these interviews.

Learning from the Philbin experience, Ross goes more with his gut feeling...
Jan 9 2016—Hal Habib, Palm Beach Post
After he and his search party had made more than 200 phone calls and conducted 42 hours of interviews, including eight with Adam Gase, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross pushed that aside, just as he tossed aside concerns about Gase being only 37 years old and not having head-coaching experience.

“I went more with my instincts,” Ross said.
And Ross’ instincts told him if he didn’t bring Gase into the fold as head coach quickly, someone else would (namely, Philadelphia).
“Like in business,” Ross said. “If you find the right guy, why do you want to give a guy a chance for someone else to grab him?”

Although Gase had options, he said he was drawn to the Dolphins because he’d been told positive things about Ross that he found to be accurate. Ross said he was attracted to Gase’s intelligence and work ethic.

“I think a lot of fans said, ‘Hey, another time you’re hiring a first-time head coach,’ ” Ross said. “And I can understand people don’t like change. But I think if you look at this individual, you look at his track record … you look at the ingredients he has as a person and the drive and the passion he has, I think you’ll say, ‘Hey, let’s take a chance. Let’s go for it.’ ”

Ross's "secret scout" who told him that Gase was best of breed also deserves some props.

@Vaark

Nov 14, 2016—Dave Hyde, Sun Sentinel
There also was a one-man shadow search.

"Just a guy I know, someone who knows everyone in the league," Ross was saying on the brightest Monday of his eight years as Dolphins owner. "I had him look into people, too. He came back to me with one name."

There was one thing left to do: Meet Adam Gase.

"I knew he was the guy — if he panned out in person," Ross said.

Ross wasn't concerned about Gase's lack of head-coaching experience or him becoming the youngest coach in the league at 38. In fact, he saw Gase's age a plus. He prefers young hires, pointing to hiring Jeff Blau, now his 46-year-old CEO for The Related Group, at 32.

"I hired here just like in business," Ross said. "Young. Bright. Passionate. Someone who thinks out of the box. "I had all the football information on him from [his secret searcher]. I just needed to see him to make sure he was the right guy."

Ross stood in the soft sun of a California (San Diego) November morning and said what everyone is finding out this season: "Now you see he's the real deal."

Not giving the blind squirrel any accolades for finally finding a ****ing nut! He still sucks!

It is Christmas, and I really want to be a good christian, but your comment makes me want to call you the biggest D@#$! Are you serious?? You cannot live in So Fl, because Ross put his own money up and the stadium is now amazing!! This team has been the most fun to watch in many, many years...Yes, Ross struggled early, but has stepped up big time, spent major money to make this team great and has dropped 400 plus million of his own money to renovate the stadium. What have you done??:crazy:

I will give him props for standing on the table for Gase and getting it done quickly. But, I'm still skeptical long term of the Tannenbaum hire. I hope it works out.

Stephen Ross gets credit for this season before anyone else. I was down on the Dolphins for years, so when Gase was hired, I didn't pay much attention to it. We've had so many coaches coming in and out that the excitement of a new coach got away from me. I was in complete show me mode. They showed me, alright. Whatever happens next doesn't even matter. This season has been an amazing accomplishment. The culture has changed, and it all started with Ross.

We've given him plenty of well deserved criticism over the years, but it's time we give him his props.

Yep, never got why so many fans hate him. He shells out plenty of money on players, improved our stadium, and let's the football guys make the decisions.

Main thing is he stuck with Ireland and Failbin too long, but here we are. I think it's sustainable, we have a chance to be even better next year. What is this strange feeling? Must be hope...

Main thing is he stuck with Ireland and Failbin too long, but here we are.

I think sticking with Ireland and Philbin as long as he did showed future coaching prospects Ross is patient and will give a fair shot. By the time Philbin and Ireland were fired, they'd earned their firings well. Gase and the FO knows they will be given a real shot to build something special . . . no knee-jerk firings.

I wanted Gase the whole time :)

Despite much pant wetting across fh when the news broke, this was always a great hire

Several missteps at the beginning of his tenure, but he has listened and got better. He got the man he really wanted and I for one couldn't be happier for the fins.

Incredible what a good hire or two can do for you with the fans. The stadium is incredible and not hot at all! The noise echoes greatly.

Back
Top Bottom