Let’s not forget about the defense. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let’s not forget about the defense.

t_sblack99z28

Rookie
Reaction score
The offense and Matt Moore are getting all the attention right now, which is understandable, but let’s not overlook what the defense did. I know they gave up 28, but I only hold 21 against them. Giving the Jets the ball on the goal line screwed them, and I still don’t think he was in on that QB sneak. When it came to crunch time they got the job done. Cam was a force out there. Jones made a nice play on what I still think might have been a fumble (yeah I’m a homer). X played great in the secondary, and Timmons is the LB I have been dreaming about us having for a long time. The guy can read plays and doesn’t miss tackles. I think this defense will keep us in most games this season.

And as an added bonus I’d like to also give it up to the commentary team. They were just great calling the game. Chris Spielman is great on the mic; I wish he called more Dolphins games.

The defense was up and down really. I agree that only 21 are on them. The other TD we can't blame them for that but there were times when they looked bad out there but in clutch time they did their job. They got the ball back to our offense when we needed them to do it. They're not perfect but they're way better than last year and have the potential to be very good

Ozzy rules!!

I like the fact the Jets exposed them on mis-directions and humbled Tank. Burke is a "go back to the lab" kind of guy. Better to get it fixed, with the tough part of the schedule soon approaching. The screens and mis-directions, wil teahc us to be disciplined. Tank will learn and pretty soon TJ mac comes back

The only real negative I saw in the game were the 2 Apparent breakdowns in where Rashad Jones’, communication mishap with Tankersley may have aided in the plays resulting in scores. It looked like Tank was expecting help on the inside from Jones on the 1st TD. But overall giving up 272 total yards, after having given up about 150-175 in the 1st half, speaks volumes as to the adjustment capabilities of Matt Burke. He’s done this in every game. He’s quickly making a name for himself. As for the 28 points, well the Jets get credit here, because they took advantage of Miami defenders when they had their chances. Kudos to them. But thank god for guys like Cam Wake and Jones, who’s energy just transformed the defense in the 2nd half, once they figured out their communication issues.

Last edited:
I like the fact the Jets exposed them on mis-directions and humbled Tank. Burke is a "go back to the lab" kind of guy. Better to get it fixed, with the tough part of the schedule soon approaching. The screens and mis-directions, wil teahc us to be disciplined. Tank will learn and pretty soon TJ mac comes back

I agree that it was good for Tank. Better to have the kid get a little beat up in a win then a loss. Hopefully it will show him what he needs to work on. Also it’s clear other teams will be testing them with the screen, they need to work on getting that cleaned up. But overall I will take 92 yards rushing and 180 yards passing as a defense any day. Not to mention if it wasn’t for that questionable 1 yard sneak they would have had back to back weeks with second half shutouts.

The misdirections and screens really did burn the defense yesterday. Overall, they tightened up when it really counted, and it’s good to see that the ability is there to make plays when they are desperately needed.

It felt like the Jets had more yards than they actually did. They averaged almost 4.8 yards a carry yet only ran 19 times. McCown was responsible for 4 TDs (granted his running TD was all on Cutler's horrific mistake).

It was disappointing to see the Jets have good success. Maybe they're better than I'm giving them credit for.

With the game slanted to favor the offenses, having steady defense that has a couple guy's that can make plays means everything. Guy's that can get a sack or knock one loose.

We've had problems with the screen the last several years. We hadn't seen much of it this season for some reason but it's on tape now so our defense will see that till they prove they can stop it. On the other hand our offense still can execute a good screen play which would slow down the pass rush

Ozzy rules!!

Last year we were completely destroyed by Baltimore's short passing attack. It was cringe worthy if you are a fan of good D play.

I'm eager to see how this year's iteration of the D looks if the Ravens go with the same game plan.

Last year we were completely destroyed by Baltimore's short passing attack. It was cringe worthy if you are a fan of good D play.

I'm eager to see how this year's iteration of the D looks if the Ravens go with the same game plan.
good point. we need to get over Baltimore as a stepping stone for the Pats

The pass defense is still playing far too poorly to sustain the team's win percentage over the long haul.

ill take a defense that struggles early but plays great in the 4th qtr and crunch time than a defense that plays well until the 4th qtr then loses the game. we've had so many good defenses over the years that would choke in the 4th qtr and give up the game winning drive. the defense so far this year gets better as the game goes on.

Giving up a 3rd & 19 on a screen when everyone in the stadium knows a screen is coming is unforgivable. But they played well enough when it mattered. Pass rush looks excellent, and the secondary is playing well.

Back
Top Bottom