Let's talk TE's. Who needs one, who doesn't. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's talk TE's. Who needs one, who doesn't.

The Ghost

Stamos
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
A comment I made in another thread got me thinking about where the TE's might come off the board and who may or may not be inclined to consider the position. I realistically started my breakdown with the Rams at 23. Scoring them on a 1-10 scale, 10 being more likely, 1 least. OJ Howard, David Njoku and Evan Engram are all better prospects than anything 2018 has to offer so I think it's possible no TE's go in the first.

23. Los Angeles Rams - Tyler Higbee, 2016 4th round pick. Need is there but value likely isn't.
Score: 2

24. Carolina Panthers - Greg Olsen, awesome player but one eye on retirement already. Value still not great.

25. Tennessee Titans - Delanie Walker, 2017 3rd round pick Jonnu Smith (*FIU*).

26. Atlanta Falcons - Austin Hooper, 2016 3 round pick. Matt Ryan rarely looks his way. I like this guy as a no.2 if he were available.
Score: 3

27. New Orleans Saints. No one. Biggest need so far by a team at TE.
Score: 5

28. Pittsburgh Steelers. Jesse James. Servicable player but they've always gotten more from the TE.
Score: 4

29. Jacksonville Jaguars. Signed Austin-Sefarian Jenkins this week. They could use another, not in the 1st.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Kyle Rudolph has rebounded nicely not missing a game the last 3 years and putting up 20 TD's. They don't have many holes but would be better served with an OL than TE. Still possible.

31. New England Patriots - Drunkowski. The end will come quick for this scum bag. Belichek knows the value of a TE better than any NFL coach. Needs might keep them from being able to take Drunk's replacement.

32. Philadelphia Eagles - Zach Ertz. Like New England, Philly loves the TE spot. They lost Burton to Chicago but are more in the market for a blocking TE. No 2nd round pick means no TE in the first.

33. Cleveland Browns - David Njoku. 2017 1st round pick with a buttload of talent. I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to use the 33rd pick to select the draft's first TE and bolster that offense even more. LT became a big need after Thomas retired so a 2nd TE is luxury. Having picks 35 and 64 makes anything possible with this team.
Score 3

34. New York Giants - Evan Engram, same boat as Cleveland but without the excess picks. Not gonna happen.
Score: 1

35. Cleveland Browns - See 33.

36. Indianapolis Colts - Jack Doyle. Solid player, they don't have to take a TE but with the extra picks in tow, getting Luck help is always on the agenda. Arguably the NFL's worst roster needs everything.

37. Indianapolis Colts - Look up.

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - OJ Howard. Nuff said.
Score: 1

39. Chicago Bears - 2017 2nd round pick Adam Shaheen, Trey Burton and Dion Sims. Very solid group.
Score: 1 (Should probably be a 0 but never say never)

40. Denver Broncos - 2017 5th round (should've been 2nd round) pick Jake Butt, Todd Huereman. Solid group that could use bolstering for sure. Butt has potential and they probably want to see where he's at post ACL injury.

41. Oakland Raiders - Jared Cook, 30 years old. 54 receptions, 688 yards, 12.7 per but only 2 TD's. Might have to take a closer look at some of Jon Gruden's teams to figure his TE usage. He had Ricky Dudley in Oakland and then brought him to Tampa along with Ken Dilger. By his third year in Tampa Dilger and Dudley were still his top 2 TE's.

42. Miami Dolphins - Finally, the Miami Dolphins get a TE. Who though?

43-64. If you need a TE, get ahead of Miami.

I am curious to know if anyone has a better read on any of these teams and their TE situations.

Obviously we won't take a TE at 42 if he's not worth the pick but I am ok with moving up to get the one we want.

I agree with you, the New Orleans Saints would be the one team that wouldn’t surprise me in taking a TE. I would be bummed if the Saints or another team took Mike Gesicki before us, but a Goedert/Hurst consolation prize is cool with me too.

If they do so, and all goes according to form, hopefully we grab the second highest rated TE on the board (or possibly Miami’s #1 highest rated TE on their own board). So long as we grab one of the consensus top 4, because we surely need one.

Raiders going to be a pain in the butt. They could steal our LB in the 1st and TE in the 2nd.

I have a feeling Geiescki (?) Will surprise all of us by getting drafted in the mid 1st. He killed it at the combine
It's possible for sure. I'd rather get someone who is interested in blocking though

Outside of Hurst, there is no top TE's that can block. That's the problem, was really hoping we could sign Simms back to block but oh well.
I think Goedert has more potential as a blocker than the other top guys, but needs to get coached up. Gesicki is soft

Really, it's Hurst or nothing. Maybe a late round D. SIMS type. It's widely report the front office wants a complete TE.

I'd take a look at TE Troy Niklas, great size/good athlete and hopefully over the injury bug. Could work pairing him up with AJ Derby, Niklas is a good all around TE imo.

If Mike Gesicki is there at 42, I think you have to bet on his upside - assuming you want to address the position with a serious attempt in 2018. He will only contribute so much this year, and TE's take a while to develop. If Miami feels they need a pass-catching TE to come in and play well right away, Ebron is the best option. He's already through most of his developmental phase, and he's a solid player with room for growth.

Back
Top Bottom