Letting Landry walk could be like losing Welker | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Letting Landry walk could be like losing Welker

finsgonewild

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I keep reading fans here who seem content on losing one of our best players. My question is why would you let one of the leagues best possession receivers go for close to nothing? The main argument that I keep hearing is that he wants too much money. Good teams find ways to pay their good players. This past season we paid Cutler over $10 million, Branch at over $8 million a year, and even Kenny Stills got a 4 year and 32 million contract extension. Landry is worth at least those contracts. He is our best player on offense and some of you want to get rid of him? We let Welker go, he went to the Patriots and became the leagues best possession receiver. I hate to say it but I could see the same thing happening with Landry going to the Patriots and dominating us each year.

Last edited:
My question to you is
What was Welker when he was here
I don't care if he went to the moon to play,
His production here was not very good

And you might want to stop the Landry to New England
drama because it's not going to happen...NEVER

Show me one example of Belichick paying a wide receiver
$14 or $15 million dollars...Heck Gronks base salary is a bit
over half of Landry's asking price (if believed) I'd
take Gronk over Landry 7 days a week/365 days a year
at nearly half price

Could be like losing Bess or Hartline. Two guys in the same position for a big contract and we barely skipped a beat.

First, we tendered Welker and the Patriots spent more than we were willing to spend. Second, Welker never got a ring with the Patriots and actually had a key drop in the Superbowl that if made would have probably won it for them. You act like the Dolphins aren't willing to spend a fair amount, which is not the case.

My question to you is
What was Welker when he was here
I don't care if he went to the moon to play,
His production here was not very good

And you might want to stop the Landry to New England
drama because it's not going to happen...NEVER

Show me one example of Belichick paying a wide receiver
$14 or $15 million dollars...Heck Gronks base salary is a bit
over half of Landry's asking price (if believed) I'd
take Gronk over Landry 7 days a week/365 days a year
at nearly half price

Welker was a good player for us, look at the terrible teams he had to play for. Guess what we got out of that trade, a second round pick which turned into Samson Satele. I would say that we came out on the losing end of that. If we let Landry walk, who is a very solid player go, it could be a similar bad move. If you can afford Cutler at $10 million this past year, you can find a way to pay the reported $14 million a year.

Welker was a good player for us, look at the terrible teams he had to play for. Guess what we got out of that trade, a second round pick which turned into Samson Satele. I would say that we came out on the losing end of that. If we let Landry walk, who is a very solid player go, it could be a similar bad move. If you can afford Cutler at $10 million this past year, you can find a way to pay the reported $14 million a year.

Question, how many more games does Welker help us win during that time?

First, we tendered Welker and the Patriots spent more than we were willing to spend. Second, Welker never got a ring with the Patriots and actually had a key drop in the Superbowl that if made would have probably won it for them. You act like the Dolphins aren't willing to spend a fair amount, which is not the case.

Exactly! That's my entire point. It's not like the Dolphins aren't willing to pay him between $7M - $11M which absolutely a fair range for him. Landry getting paid anything over $11M is a joke.

I would take it one step further and ask what exactly does Landry bring that says he deserves to be one of the highest paid receivers in the League?

Leads in TDs?
Leads in total yards?
Leads in YDP?

What..biggest heart?

Landry is going to light it up for someone else. NE isn’t going to be a threat for much longer but the team that Landry goes to very well could be. Hell, Landry looked pretty good with Alex Smith throwing to him.

Maybe instead of questioning Landry’s lack of TD’s or big play capability. Shift that focus to the offiensive playcalling which has been straight garbage. As the OP said Welker put up rediculous numbers. He showed that talent in Miami, but didn’t flourish. Wonder if that had to do with poor play calling, or failing to open up the playbook a little more.? Maybe there’s reasons Landry runs the short routes - Perhaps he has trouble learning plays maybe someone knows. But Landry has put up solid numbers regardless of the QB instability and poor Play calling.

Did we forget that Thill made Hartline a 1000 yard receiver two years in a row. And that was at the beginning of His career. I hate to lose Landry, but we can't restrict the cap for other important pieces.

Welker wasn’t Welker until he left to go play with the best QB to ever play the game. That helped cement his legacy. Landry has a low ceiling and he’s not going to reinvent his game if he leaves. He’s a volume receiver wherever he goes and whomever throws it to him, which won’t be an elite quarterback.

Back
Top Bottom