Linehan=John L. Smith=Alex Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linehan=John L. Smith=Alex Smith

IHearJimi

Representing the 515
Reaction score
I've been coming to this site for over a year now, but this is my first post.

If Linehan becomes offensive coordinator, does that increase the chances of Alex Smith being drafted by the Dolphins? Linehan coached (OC) for John L. Smith at Louisville and Alex Smith is John L's nephew. I really don't have an opinion on Alex Smith, b/c I don't pretend to be a talent evaluator, but it seems like the NFL is all about "who knows who" especially in regards to coaches.

Would John L. over hype his nephew and Linehan go along with it b/c he trusts John L. Smith? I'm just worried that Alex Smith was never taught to be a pocket passer (if that's even the type of QB we want). It's almost like Urban Meyer's offense was run & shoot (bootlegs, shovel passes, reverses, etc).

My concern for Smith is that not too many of the Louisville QBs have been successful in the pros...

IHearJimi said:
I've been coming to this site for over a year now, but this is my first post.

If Linehan becomes offensive coordinator, does that increase the chances of Alex Smith being drafted by the Dolphins? Linehan coached (OC) for John L. Smith at Louisville and Alex Smith is John L's nephew. I really don't have an opinion on Alex Smith, b/c I don't pretend to be a talent evaluator, but it seems like the NFL is all about "who knows who" especially in regards to coaches.

Would John L. over hype his nephew and Linehan go along with it b/c he trusts John L. Smith? I'm just worried that Alex Smith was never taught to be a pocket passer (if that's even the type of QB we want). It's almost like Urban Meyer's offense was run & shoot (bootlegs, shovel passes, reverses, etc).

Alex Smith has some talent, but he doesn't play in a pro set. Which means his learning curve will be greater than some of the other qbs coming out.

LarryFinFan said:
My concern for Smith is that not too many of the Louisville QBs have been successful in the pros...
Umm, Smith didn't go to Louisville,,,he went to Utah. LeFors is the QB
at Louisville....ohhhh you meant John L Smith rather than Alex Smith (the QB)
right?????

Welcome Jimi!

I cant see us taking Smith because he is the distant relative of a guy that Linehan used to know 10 years ago. The NFL a giant fraternity that is filled with these kind of oblique relationships where paths are frequently crossed. This is really nothing new imo.

Good to have ya aboard.

I don't mind drafting a QB, preferably not a #2 though. And I'm really only interested in two QB's. Aaron Rodgers I wouldn't mind seeing at #2, or Charlie Frye in the late 1st or later. Those are probably dreams though. If not one of those, I say keep Sage and AJ, at least for a year.

Welcome aboard. I could see us taking Smith, but not by your rationale. With that logic, it would be more likely we draft Kevin Bacon.

Offensive Coordinators don't make the decisions on draft picks. I don't even think they're in the war room are they? I think that Saban and O'Brien will make the decisions based on their opinions with some possible input from Speilman. I doubt Saban or O'Brien would draft someone because their offensive coordinator coached with a kids uncle. Someone please tell me that Saban and O'Brien wouldn't use that as criteria anymore than they'd go in there using a magic "8" ball to make their decisions.

DrAstroZoom said:
Welcome aboard. I could see us taking Smith, but not by your rationale. With that logic, it would be more likely we draft Kevin Bacon.

:lol:
i wouldn't take kevin at #2 overall, though. he'll go on the second day due to his age...

also, welcome, jimi.

I dont see at all how this favors us getting alex smith. Saban will make the decision come draft day because spielman is an idiot who is going to get canned. Linehan doesnt really have a say or push on who we draft.

I hope we get Campbell and Linehan can make him into a player like Culpepper.

Back
Top Bottom