Lions could top the perfect 1972 Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions could top the perfect 1972 Dolphins

Hey guys,

I was just routinely browsing the internet in search of the end of the web(I still have yet to find it). I came across one of these AOL Sports articles titled "Lions could top the perfect 1972 Dolphins."
That year's Dolphins were the only undefeated, untied team ever, and this year's Lions have a good chance of becoming the first 0-16 team. But athletes are so much bigger, stronger and faster today that if we could fit the Lions' entire 53-man roster into a DeLorean, take them back to 1972 and line them up against those Dolphins, Detroit would crush Miami.
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/12/12/the-2008-lions-would-beat-the-1972-dolphins/

Just wondering what you guys think about the opinion. Agree or disagree?

Have you seen the Lions play. The 72 team at there age now could crush the current Lions. Mercury and Zonk would each have 100 yards.

It's all relative, but if they were on an even playing field I don't think the Lions could beat the fins. It isn't the same game it was then though so I really don't think a fair comparison can be made between the two. One was excellent for its time, one is terrible for its time.

The 72 Dolphins would control the ball for about 50 minutes on the Lions.

And to answer the thread of course today's teams would crush any team that was around 35 years ago.

Not just because of how the game has evolved, but because of how medicine/training has evolved, they are just plain bigger and stronger now. There is no way a bunch of 250 pound O-lineman are going to stop a bunch of 300+ pound defensive lineman, same with the 250 D-lineman of the fins going against the 300+ pound O-Lineman of today.

it wouldn't even be close, maybe 48-7

Did you guys read that C-Pep is 280 lbs? holy crap he is bigger than me and I'm a nose tackle! He and Jesse Chatman (former Phin RB) must have gotten together this off season and went on an eating binge or something!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lions players from todays game could not deal with the brutality of the 70's game.
The defenses tackled with intent to injure and knock the player out of the game.
The OL played equally dirty and with the same mentality.
Csonka weighed 250 lbs. He would abuse the Lions.
Look at the stats from 72. The fins were #1 in every catagory including Wins.
In my opinion, if you put the 72 fins against the 2007 Giants, it would be a close game.

I just looked at the ages (20's) of some of you guys posting. If you didnt see it for yourselves you really dont have an educated opinion. I wasnt playing Madden...I was watching Madden's teams and the Fins battle in the trenches.
Todays game is a watered down politically correct version of the NFL

It's comparing apples to oranges....it is a much different game today and players are much bigger and faster. The 1972 Dolphins ran it about 80% of the time.

Isn't most of the 72 team either decomposing in the ground or collecting health care benefits??

Back
Top Bottom