Mando: Ireland going "all in" this offseason, good read! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mando: Ireland going "all in" this offseason, good read!

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
There were, predictably, very few golden nuggets coming out of the Jeff Ireland meeting with the media this afternoon after the Senior Bowl's North squad morning practice in Mobile, Ala.
Ireland wants Jake Long back but it's a tough negotiation and he doesn't want to overpay. We knew that already. He would take Reggie Bush back but the Dolphins have depth at RB and he doesn't want to overpay. We knew that already. He said tight end Michael Egnew will have a good season in 2013, but that's exactly what anyone would expect him to say of a player he picked but didn't produce as a rookie. (Remember Gibril Wilson?)
None of that is news. None of that is all that interesting to me.
This is:
Ireland seemed to acknowledge for the first time that he better do extraordinary things that improve the Dolphins in extraordinary ways this offseason because the mircoscope is on him.
"I think this is the year you've got to do something," Ireland said at one point. "We look forward to making some big news before too long."
"This is a big offseason for us. We understand that," he said later.
He said he's going to be looking for playmakers on offense this year and that the draft, free agency and trades are on the table. He said the Dolphins would explore "revery single opportunity and avenue" for getting better.
So Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland is seemingly all in this offseason.
It's good that Ireland will apparently adopt that approach because I've complained the Dolphins have been all too passive and, in some cases, inactive the past two offseasons when it came to free agency and trades and alike.
But I believe the reason Ireland may take this new route this offseason has to do on some level with his own status. Ireland admitted he is a "polarizing" figure in South Florida. That's his way of acknowledging that fans hate dislike him.
But Ireland has had the favor of Stephen Ross despite the negative public sentiment because he's been able to convince the Dolphins owner that the franchise is headed in the right direction and has been making wise, long-lasting personnel choices. I suppose to some degree, Ireland has also made the case that he wasn't in charge under Bill Parcells although he's been the general manager since 2008.
But that argument can be made for only so long. And that window is now closed.
It says here Ireland has to emerge from this offseason a winner by making the Dolphins a winner. His moves have to significantly improve the team because A.) He's got so many draft picks and so much salary cap space at his disposal and B.) The argument that building a team takes time and he wasn't responsible for what happened in 2008 and 2009 and 2010 fades considering he was undeniably responsible for all the personnel decisions of 2011, 2012 and this offseason.
Ireland knows (or should know) that if we're sitting here a year from now, in January of 2014, discussing how far the Dolphins continue to be from being a winner, the responsibility for that gap still existing will fall squarely on him and no one else.
It won't be on Joe Philbin, whom the owner respects.
It won't be on assistant coaches, whom Philbin respects.
It won't be on circumstances, because that excuse was exhausted during the Parcells departure and Tony Sparano firing.
It'll be on Ireland, folks.
The bullseye is on him.
And Ireland knows it and is accepting that.
That is why I think Ireland will be aggressive this offseason. That is why I think he will spend money. That is why I think he will consider trades he might not have considered in past years.
The man needs to hit a home run. And to do that, you have to actually take some big swings.

Decent article. Mando can be ok when he wants to be.

What are some "blockbuster" trades that they could make for the positions we need? Larry Fitzgerald? Andre Johnson?

Can't be just a home run it has to be a walk off grand slam else get fired.

by defenition is what? super bowl win this coming year? just asking. you Ireland haters seem to never define yourselves.

Yes, Ireland may realize that he is in the spotlight, but I hope it doens't make him desperate. I would hate to overpay or give up draft picks out of this make or break season. If Ireland lands our wide reciever, TE, RT and rushing DE then he has done good. He can't give away players like he did last year without filling the void (ie: Fasano, Long, Smith)

LMAO!!!! He said "I think this is the year you've got to do something"????? What a joke Ireland is.What about about the other years?He waits until he's on the Hot Seat,before he feels he's gotta do something to turn us around? Leaves me speechless...."I HATE HIM AS OUR GM"!!!!!

LMAO!!!! He said "I think this is the year you've got to do something"????? What a joke Ireland is.What about about the other years?He waits until he's on the Hot Seat,before he feels he's gotta do something to turn us around? Leaves me speechless...."I HATE HIM AS OUR GM"!!!!!
ugh, you arent "speechless" enough.

by defenition is what? super bowl win this coming year? just asking. you Ireland haters seem to never define yourselves.

This will be his what, 6th year as GM? When the hell are we suppose to be expecting a Super Bowl contending team then? Do we have to wait till he's on his 10th year term for that? Teams go from very bad to playoffs in a single offseason all the damn time, ALL THE DAMN TIME. Except for the Miami Acorns.

If we're not competing for the division title in Week 16, then he has ****ed us again.

The ****ing Colts had a worst record than us, they looked pitiful on all three phases of the game, and they not only went to the playoffs after one offseason, but are now back to taking over their division AGAIN.

I have a request, someone list me significant moves the GOAT GM Jeff Ireland has done to improve our franchise and please, compare that list to Grigson's one offseason list.

This will be his what, 6th year as GM? When the hell are we suppose to be expecting a Super Bowl contending team then? Do we have to wait till he's on his 10th year term for that? Teams go from very bad to playoffs in a single offseason all the damn time, ALL THE DAMN TIME. Except for the Miami Acorns.

If we're not competing for the division title in Week 16, then he has ****ed us again.

The ****ing Colts had a worst record than us, they looked pitiful on all three phases of the game, and they not only went to the playoffs after one offseason, but are now back to taking over their division AGAIN.

I have a request, someone list me significant moves the GOAT GM Jeff Ireland has done to improve our franchise and please, compare that list to Grigson's one offseason list.

You made the request, why don't you look it up since you're so intent on telling us how "Ireland sucks" a thousand times. He's our damn GM whether you or I like it or not...what happened his first 3-4 years is all a moot point now. It's all about now and beyond with Jeff. He's got the resources to turn this team into a playoff team. If he doesn't get it done this year with what he has to work with, he's gone. Then you can go throw the biggest party in Miami and we won't have to put up with the "Fire Ireland" threads and posts every hour. It's a win win.

If you look at the actual transcript of Ireland's remarks you will find that local media failed to mention Ireland's repetition of his normal bromides about "building the team from the inside out", "choosing players based upon certain size parameters" (rather than actual talent), and stating that first year busts like Egnew have a great future. There really isn't anything new here other than a recognition that our wide receivers didn't score touchdowns and everyone is tired of the W-L history. A leopard can't change his spots and Ireland can't change the way he picks players.

My gripe is with Ireland ....Not You.Hard to believe,some out there still support him....and are content with .500 and below results.Just Unbelievable!!!

And who the hell is content with .500 or losing football??? This is some of the the biggest load of BS I read on these forums. Just because someone chooses to "support" Ireland or anyone else on this team for that matter, doesn't mean they're content with losing football. I sure as hell am not. I've just come to the realization that complaining about Ireland all day isn't going to change anything about the team or who runs it.

Back
Top Bottom