Mando: Ireland going "all in" this offseason, good read!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Jan 22, 2013.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

There were, predictably, very few golden nuggets coming out of the Jeff Ireland meeting with the media this afternoon after the Senior Bowl's North squad morning practice in Mobile, Ala.
    Ireland wants Jake Long back but it's a tough negotiation and he doesn't want to overpay. We knew that already. He would take Reggie Bush back but the Dolphins have depth at RB and he doesn't want to overpay. We knew that already. He said tight end Michael Egnew will have a good season in 2013, but that's exactly what anyone would expect him to say of a player he picked but didn't produce as a rookie. (Remember Gibril Wilson?)
    None of that is news. None of that is all that interesting to me.
    This is:
    Ireland seemed to acknowledge for the first time that he better do extraordinary things that improve the Dolphins in extraordinary ways this offseason because the mircoscope is on him.
    "I think this is the year you've got to do something," Ireland said at one point. "We look forward to making some big news before too long."
    "This is a big offseason for us. We understand that," he said later.
    He said he's going to be looking for playmakers on offense this year and that the draft, free agency and trades are on the table. He said the Dolphins would explore "revery single opportunity and avenue" for getting better.
    So Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland is seemingly all in this offseason.
    It's good that Ireland will apparently adopt that approach because I've complained the Dolphins have been all too passive and, in some cases, inactive the past two offseasons when it came to free agency and trades and alike.
    But I believe the reason Ireland may take this new route this offseason has to do on some level with his own status. Ireland admitted he is a "polarizing" figure in South Florida. That's his way of acknowledging that fans hate dislike him.
    But Ireland has had the favor of Stephen Ross despite the negative public sentiment because he's been able to convince the Dolphins owner that the franchise is headed in the right direction and has been making wise, long-lasting personnel choices. I suppose to some degree, Ireland has also made the case that he wasn't in charge under Bill Parcells although he's been the general manager since 2008.
    But that argument can be made for only so long. And that window is now closed.
    It says here Ireland has to emerge from this offseason a winner by making the Dolphins a winner. His moves have to significantly improve the team because A.) He's got so many draft picks and so much salary cap space at his disposal and B.) The argument that building a team takes time and he wasn't responsible for what happened in 2008 and 2009 and 2010 fades considering he was undeniably responsible for all the personnel decisions of 2011, 2012 and this offseason.
    Ireland knows (or should know) that if we're sitting here a year from now, in January of 2014, discussing how far the Dolphins continue to be from being a winner, the responsibility for that gap still existing will fall squarely on him and no one else.
    It won't be on Joe Philbin, whom the owner respects.
    It won't be on assistant coaches, whom Philbin respects.
    It won't be on circumstances, because that excuse was exhausted during the Parcells departure and Tony Sparano firing.
    It'll be on Ireland, folks.
    The bullseye is on him.
    And Ireland knows it and is accepting that.
    That is why I think Ireland will be aggressive this offseason. That is why I think he will spend money. That is why I think he will consider trades he might not have considered in past years.
    The man needs to hit a home run. And to do that, you have to actually take some big swings.

2. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

What's the deal with the beat writers and their baseball references?

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Decent article. Mando can be ok when he wants to be.

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Can't be just a home run it has to be a walk off grand slam else get fired.

5. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

What are some "blockbuster" trades that they could make for the positions we need? Larry Fitzgerald? Andre Johnson?

6. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

by defenition is what? super bowl win this coming year? just asking. you Ireland haters seem to never define yourselves.

7. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

Yes, Ireland may realize that he is in the spotlight, but I hope it doens't make him desperate. I would hate to overpay or give up draft picks out of this make or break season. If Ireland lands our wide reciever, TE, RT and rushing DE then he has done good. He can't give away players like he did last year without filling the void (ie: Fasano, Long, Smith)

8. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

LMAO!!!! He said "I think this is the year you've got to do something"????? What a joke Ireland is.What about about the other years?He waits until he's on the Hot Seat,before he feels he's gotta do something to turn us around? Leaves me speechless...."I HATE HIM AS OUR GM"!!!!!

9. psfign

psfign A True Fan

ugh, you arent "speechless" enough.

10. Vertical Limit

This will be his what, 6th year as GM? When the hell are we suppose to be expecting a Super Bowl contending team then? Do we have to wait till he's on his 10th year term for that? Teams go from very bad to playoffs in a single offseason all the damn time, ALL THE DAMN TIME. Except for the Miami Acorns.

If we're not competing for the division title in Week 16, then he has ****ed us again.

The ****ing Colts had a worst record than us, they looked pitiful on all three phases of the game, and they not only went to the playoffs after one offseason, but are now back to taking over their division AGAIN.

I have a request, someone list me significant moves the GOAT GM Jeff Ireland has done to improve our franchise and please, compare that list to Grigson's one offseason list.

11. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

My gripe is with Ireland ....Not You.Hard to believe,some out there still support him....and are content with .500 and below results.Just Unbelievable!!!

12. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

You made the request, why don't you look it up since you're so intent on telling us how "Ireland sucks" a thousand times. He's our damn GM whether you or I like it or not...what happened his first 3-4 years is all a moot point now. It's all about now and beyond with Jeff. He's got the resources to turn this team into a playoff team. If he doesn't get it done this year with what he has to work with, he's gone. Then you can go throw the biggest party in Miami and we won't have to put up with the "Fire Ireland" threads and posts every hour. It's a win win.

13. z926538

z926538 Rookie

If you look at the actual transcript of Ireland's remarks you will find that local media failed to mention Ireland's repetition of his normal bromides about "building the team from the inside out", "choosing players based upon certain size parameters" (rather than actual talent), and stating that first year busts like Egnew have a great future. There really isn't anything new here other than a recognition that our wide receivers didn't score touchdowns and everyone is tired of the W-L history. A leopard can't change his spots and Ireland can't change the way he picks players.

14. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Didn't we hear this last offseason?

15. CalDolFan10x14

And who the hell is content with .500 or losing football??? This is some of the the biggest load of BS I read on these forums. Just because someone chooses to "support" Ireland or anyone else on this team for that matter, doesn't mean they're content with losing football. I sure as hell am not. I've just come to the realization that complaining about Ireland all day isn't going to change anything about the team or who runs it.

16. Vertical Limit

Pretty sure my first post on this thread already stated that. And I don't need to look it up I know Ireland has done nothing. The rest of you Irelanders don't.

17. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't like Ireland, and I think he should be replaced.

That being said, I realize he does have us in a pretty desirable position cap/picks wise and he will have the opportunity to see it through. The Dolphins can be losers next year and although many people won't be satisfied with that (including myself) . . . I can give Jeff Ireland a break if he just does his best by getting top notch players down here and make this team and enjoyable one to watch again. Sure we all enjoy the Dolphins on Sundays, we are hardcore fans . . . but lets be honest, they are boring as hell at times and I'm just sick and tired of it. Jeff, do your job and hit on your draft picks and bring in some solid free agents and lets get that damn stadium rocking again.

18. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

The franchise being set back 5 years is a win-win? :confused:

19. CalDolFan10x14

Irelanders. :lol: That's cute. Must've been waiting a while to use that one, eh?

20. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

To summarize the situation, our owner didn't consider himself the owner until very recently, and our general manager didn't think he was expected to do anything.

21. Noodleman

Noodleman Starter

Hopefully "all in" doesn't mean waiting until the 4th round to draft a receiver.lol

22. CalDolFan10x14

Did we invent a time machine or something? Is this 2007 all over again? It sure doesn't seem like it. What's done is done. We've got to build on what we have, not keep rehashing the mistakes of past Miami Dolphins seasons. I can admit Ireland and the rest of the team has made it's fair share of mistakes, but does bringing them up every other thread accomplish anything? I'm looking forward what Ross, Ireland, Philbin and the team can do to improve the team next season...not what happened 2....3...five years ago.

23. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

Hey...I agree with you,that nobody should be content with .500/below results.I'm sure as Hell not.It pisses me off.But two things have been a constant.Our below par results.....and Ireland at the helm.It's like he's not held accountable for anything.He keeps getting a free-pass.He's also one of the last pieces left from a horribly failed Parcells experiment.I'm fine with anybody/everybody disagreeing with me.I'm just sick of losing.....and Ross keeps letting his stooge run things.

24. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

I'm glad he's taking total responsibility for this offseason. I don't hate or like Ireland because of the transition of personnel decisions that was after 2010. I see he's picked up and retained a few awesome players (Jones, Pouncey, Tannehill, Solai) and he's made some dumb moves here and there (Artis Hicks, Richard Marshall, Vontae Davis, Michael Egnew). That's fine with me, you don't hit 100% in the NFL. As long as he's man enough to take the blame for this upcoming offseason I respect the guy and wish him, the team, and all his decisions well.

25. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

It's not rocket science, dude. Ever since the Tuna left, Ireland obviously has been making his moves for a year like this. Almost 50 million in cap space and so many top draft picks to use. So many ppl just act like when the Tuna was here, he wasn't essentially the acting GM.

26. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

As a GM you need more hits then misses and Ireland obviously has had more misses.

27. dolphinbryan

dolphinbryan Well-Known Member

cordarellee patterson is a home run everytime he is on the field take him mr.ireland...

28. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Banned Hammered

Andrew Luck is a one in a generation talent.

29. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

I love this false narrative that Ireland "has" to hit this offseason or he's in real trouble.

Wheres the proof for that attitude? From all the evidence we have, the guy is completely bulletproof. Jerry Jones has less job security than Ireland. I have my sig set to Ross declaring his expectations of making the playoffs. A losing season later, Ross is still convinced everything is acceptable.

I have every expectation of reading this article again a year from now. Granted, the year will change and the free agent bust example will be different, but hey this time Ireland is in real trouble because he cant blame it on....ugh....well, im sure someone will be thrown under the bus.

30. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

The Colts are a paper tiger, just like Miami in 2008. We thought we were on the upswing too and look what happened? Best of luck to them getting those lucky bounces again.

Seriously, you guys are getting so repetitive it's driving me nuts. JUST STOP. WAIT IT OUT. WE HAVE HIM FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR.

31. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

The Colts threw last season to get Luck. However, they actually put talent around him like intelligent team managers.

32. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Spesh, you nailed it. Can anyone show me any public statement from any of the Dolphins principals where it is said that Ireland will be held accountable if we don't succeed in 2013? If it is out there I sure haven't seen it. Based upon what I have seen over the last five years I agree that Ireland appears to be above any accountability for the results of this organization.

33. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I don't think he has a choice, if they don't make the playoffs this year he's going to be out of a job.

34. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

yeah the local "irelanders" all agree with that. The fact that I don't hate ireland seems to be the main point of contention with the membership that obviously wants to rape him with a razer blade dildo, pour salt in the wounds, have a shark bite of his nuts, then while that's going apparently fry at least one of his kidneys and feed it to him.

Think i'm exaggerating? bull**** some of them really do hate him that much.

35. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Regardless of everything he has done in the past he has a chance to make up for it. Plenty of picks and cap room, there's no excuse why Miami shouldn't be a playff team if he doesn't have a good offseason. He's in a good spot.

36. J Tes

J Tes next generation

I love that there are people that actually think the the Colts purposely lost last year. Losing one of the best QB's of the past 25 years right before the season with no real backup to speak of i'm sure had nothing to do with it. I'm sure the players playing for contracts were totally willing to sacrifice future earning by dropping passes, missing blocks, fumbling etc. I'm sure Jim Caldwell couldn't wait to take one for the team and get fired and put that on his resume. Makes sense

37. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Mando and his naive opinion pieces are the main reason people blame Ireland for everything. Mando is not very knowledgable about football, just a good creator of drama and bs.

38. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

It still amazes me how fans continue to believe "this is the year" we are going to spend big. "This is the year" we're finally going to make a big splash in FA. "This is the year" we are going to be aggressive in the draft and go get big time offensive skill position players.

"This is the year".

I believe the greatest job Ireland has done the entire time he's been here is become a politician. The 2 biggest "splashes" or "statements" you can make in spending money or deciding the direction of a football team is your Head Coach and your QB. All other decisions from a GM standpoint are secondary. Whatever philosophy you use in those decisions you will use in all other decisions.

Not too mention he has shrewdly leveraged himself against Jake Long and Reggie Bush. He can low ball them and if they walk, they appear to be the bad guys. He'll state the Dolphins made a "fair" deal to both men so that we may be able to pursue "big name" talent and "difference makers" to help the team. Yet, we'll never know what "fair deal" they were offered. Then, whether they resign or go elsewhere, we STILL won't get those "big name, difference makers". So, he gets to remain true to his original plan; don't take risks that could immediately jeopardize his job.

"The right players weren't available", "we may fair offers but they chose another team".... yada yada yada. And the beat goes on.

If you need excuses, you can always find one.

We supposedly swung and miss on 2 big name coaches then chose a lesser known, first time head coach. We supposedly were going to be in the Peyton Manning race, in the Matt Flynn race, in the Alex Smith race and in any other race that involved a QB over how many years? And we chose the safe choice, a QB our new offensive coordinator had personally groomed with little experience. A great excuse to have in the bag when things go south.

I'm fine with the RT choice and the reasoning behind it. But if it had come from a GM that didn't consistently low ball on every FA and practice acorn logic on every draft decision.... I would have respected it more. The fact remains, every choice he makes is always the cheapest and least flashy option of all the ones in front of him. It's not happenstance, it's a methodology.

Stop thinking we are "going big". Get back on the porch and watch all the other dogs pass by.

The only "big time" move we are making this year is signing a declining Greg Jennings who can't stay healthy to a value deal. We'll stand pat or trade down with our draft picks and continue to draft the safest pick. We'll watch the "big name" FA's come in for a visit, just so they can take our low ball offer to another team and say "can you beat this?".

And we will be left time and time again at the altar alone. All the time, the spin doctor will continue to promise "big things are coming" and explain how we "gave them a fair offer".

The girl who keeps telling you that she wants to go out with you but always finds a reason to date all the other guys needs a date to the prom. Wanna go?

She promises to make up for all the times she's let you down. Because this time "it's really going to happen". Now run along and get fitted for a tux.

39. phinman1

phinman1 Seriously now

Yeah, great read man. Ireland wants to get "playmakers", as opposed to the other GM's who really aren't looking out for playmakers. Awesome strategy.

We got a GM looking for "playmakers". This is a really progressive concept. We're in good hands boys.

40. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

There were options other than Curtis Painter, available on their own roster, that were clearly better (and did result in the Colts winning games when they were finally used).

But of course, the Irsay family would NEVER oversee a team that would go out and full on tank the year that there is a great #1 overall QB prospect coming out, right? I mean, Elway, Manning, Luck, no coincidence there?