Mando/Rotoworld: Mike Wallace to enter free agency and not get tagged

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Jan 16, 2013.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

rotoworld.com

Part of the converstion about free agency on this site has involved Mike Wallace. And that conversation has assumed that Wallace will actually be available despite the fact the Pittsburgh Steelers can use the franchise tag on him or re-sign him between now and the March 12 opening of free agency.
    Well, today there is some clarity on that assumption straight from the horse's mouth.
    Pittsburgh general manager Kevin Colbert met with the local media today and cleared up several questions. He said it was "very doubtful" the club would use the franchise tag on anyone.
    So there's that.
    And he made the point that the Steelers are not worried about their free agents going out into the market to test the free agency waters.
    "We won't know what an individual player costs until he gets out there," Colbert said.
    That means Wallace will be on the market in all probability.
    Colbert also made the point that the Steelers "are not married" to any player. Actually, he piggybacked on that by adding that Pittsburgh must change the roster from the one that got them to 8-8 because to be different you have to, well, be different.
    Change is coming to the Steelers. It looks as if Wallace might be part of that change.

2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

start the bidding at $10 mil per...don't be surprised if a bidding war ensues and he gets north of $12 mil per when he signs

3. dolfan_101

dolfan_101 A True Fan

If he continues to work had, and stay healthy after he gets his payday watch out

4. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

Get him here!

5. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

He would be a great pickup but I think he is going to ask for crazy money, Fitzgerald money.. and he isnt worth that. If we can get him on a somewhat reasonable deal which leaves room to improve other positions then great if not... hey Greg.

6. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Doesn't say he's for sure going to leave them.

7. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

he's gone, the steelers are not going to lockup that type of money on 2 WR's, that defense is aging big time, I will be shocked if he is back with the steelers.

8. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Awesome player but I'm scared he's going to not work as hard after getting paid.

9. Ghetti17

Ghetti17 Active Member

This will create some interesting discussion in Davie. He is a nightmare for defenses. Even with a safety over the top he can run right past them. He is behind the defense numerous times every game. He will take pressure off of the rest of the offense while at the same time catch numerous deep balls throughout the season. He is well worth the money. The question will be whether Philbin can get over the drops and the route running. Personally, I would, especially since it was not nearly as big an issue in previous years, when the contract wasn't on his mind. I think Jennings will be a Dolphin for sure. My gut tells me Wallace won't, but, it's a discussion that has to be had.

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

with teams having to spend so much under the new cba to meet the salary floor expect any top end headed into their prime which at 26 years old is the ideal honey hole player that hits free agency to sign for big time money...

if miamis not willing to overpay somewhat wallace won't come here...someone is gonna offer that guy $60 mil over 5 years...and he's gonna follow the money...

11. uk_dolfan

Is he worth that much though? is his production that much higher than say Jennings to make him worth over 10 million more? Wallace is the best free agent on the market but is it smart to break the bank on one player? My heart says pay him my head says sign Jennings and a top free agent TE like Keller.

12. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Geez what to do what to do! If certain if we got him we would definitely need to resign Hartline and draft another big play receiver in the draft. Personally I'm of the opinion lets fix this receiving group once and for all!

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I hear you but with Jennings your looking for another receiver in about 2-3 years at best!

13. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

I don't think he is worth that much money.

Does anyone remember Alvin Harper?

I would focus on the packer wr or other free agent WRs. Look at all the catches marshall had this year with the Bears, they didn't even make the playoffs as a wildcard.

14. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Can't say it much better than that.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

top guys always get overpai in free agency...wallace is one guy that is in his prime and a legitimate playmaker...barring injury you are getting that level impact for the next 5 years or the length of the contract provided he stays motivated...i know one thing when nfl gms and scouts put on some of that all 22 view coaches tape and see just how rediculously fast that kid gets on top of dbs and eats up cushions and then just blows by people they are gonna be salivating...add in for his size he's tougher than he looks and his route running on the routes he does run is pretty solid for a burner and i think he's gonna have quite a market...

unless some things surface about him being a bad soldier...still that tape is SCARY...most explosive vertical blow by wr in football...

if i need a burner to keep defenses honest and make plays over the top he's worth it to me...and miami needs that some kind of bad to run shermans vertical passing o...again though he's played for peanuts the last 2 years if you don't come correct with the money he's not ever visiting your facility...ireland better come correct if he wants to be in on this

16. dolfan_101

dolfan_101 A True Fan

It's insane how db's back off him nearly ten yars right before the snap and still he chews 'em up, hopefully he has that speed and acceleration for years to come if you're the team signing him.

17. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I think this is all academic cause I don't believe we'll even offer him a contract. People like to assume we're going after every top free agent but for the most part we don't. I believe if we get someone it'll be Jennings as long as his price is right. They want to use the draft to build the team and I can't blame them there but we still; need to use free agency too. Wallace will price himself out of our range imo.

Ozzy rules!!

18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

the other part of this is i don't see much true vertical over the top burner day 1 impact in this wr draft class...i don't see a mike wallace...there's a lot of things that can help you in this wr class but i don't know that there's what wallace offers...

so you'd be getting a proven nfl player in his prime who may still have upside to fill a need you drafted clyde gates for last year and failed with...seems like the kind of thing ireland would back...but again all that "i won't overpay" stuff...ok...and you won't get mike wallace jeff...so nut up

if jeffs looking for a better "bargain" he can probably land a older player like greg jennings for around $8 mil per...

19. uk_dolfan

I suppose Wallace is the sort of player to put bums on seats and help make the team relevant again. Jennings is a big name as well but I can see how a player like Wallace would go down in South Florida.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

frankly i'll take either one wallace or jennings...i'm tired of bad decisions at wr and trying to make chicken salad with chicken **** and i don't trust ireland to land a high end wr talent to begin with in the draft plus you have to wait on a lot of wrs in the draft takes a while to make the transition to the pro game...

wallace just has more shelf life and his skill set imo is harder to find...i think sherman would prefer wallace and philbin jennings... either one would be a godsend

21. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Im straight up 50/50 on Wallace. I have such a nasty feeling he doesn't have that internal fire.

22. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

Wallace is absolutely the guy jeff wants. And the "don't want to overpay" card is just that, a starting point. Jeff will make this guy an offer he can't refuse.

23. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR Scout Team

I don't think we have too many franchise players," Colbert said bluntly.

Does that quote scare or at least give anyone else pause. One thing I know is the steelers know how to draft and they cut ties with players with the best of them. I have a close friend/co-worker from Pittsburgh and she is a rabid fan. You should hear how she talks about the steeler players (even Ben....maybe their spoiled) that we would kill for. Her attitude is get somebody else... we will not over pay you. Go somewhere else and you'll wish you were back in steeler country. I kinda of wish we could be more like that.

24. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

There is absolutely no excuse if Mike Wallace is not wearing a Dolphins uniform next year.

25. uk_dolfan

This is why Ireland is a GM and you are not.

26. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I am not sure if Wallace fits with RT's skill set

27. ANUFan

?? I'm not sure what this means? Care to clarify.....

28. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Wallace has been my choice from day 1. I get to watch a lot of Steelers games and he is the real deal.

29. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Still doesn't mean he's gone :)

30. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

He is very well known as a head case in NFL circles.

31. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

No there is an excuse and his name is Greg Jennings. Im not saying I want Jennings but I believe he will be offered a contract before Wallace IMO. If Wallace is not a Fin its because Jenning's is.

32. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

We have the money to get them both if we really want them, but i don't think Jeff has the B%^% to do that tho.

33. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Seasoned Veteran Hammered

Sure he does. Tannehill overshoots 9.7 out of every 10 deep balls he throws. Wallace should be able to snag most of them. ;)

For the record, I prefer Jennings in free agency anyway. He'll cost less and be a much more complete receiver. Tannehill really needs a steady presence. They can then take a speed WR in the draft.

34. luduporcu

luduporcu Banned Hammered

Says who? YOU? The National Enquirer? The Pittsburgh gossip columnists? Who?

35. luduporcu

luduporcu Banned Hammered

There aren't any bluechip "burners" this time. We'd just get another bust if we go for a "burner".

36. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

He probably thinks we only need one WR.

37. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Wallace was targeted 404 times in 4 years Averaged 8 tds and never had more than 72 receptions, he's a difference maker if you make him the difference, under Mike Sherman I don't think he will have that kind of success, but he is worth at leat 9 mil a year.

38. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

im pretty sure hayden meant that Tannehill didn't really seem to be the terrific deep ball passer that Wallace needs at QB (like Roethlisberger)..... but the jury is still out on that since it was his first year & he was feeling everything out with a group of lackluster WR's. i'd take the chance at pairing RT & Wallace in Miami with hopes that Tannehill can get it deep enough & accurate enough to Mike Wallace

39. ANUFan

This terrifies me more than anything. Some how our FO thinks getting "one player-maker" is all we need......

40. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i don't understand the wallace doesn't fit tannehills skill set talk...kind of baffles me really...tannehill can throw the 18 yard comeback from the opposite hash can throw the deep out and hits hartline routinely on routes where he drives on the corner forcing the corner to open his hips and transition into his pedal before gearing down and turning into a dart on the outside...add in those 2 wr sets we love to run vertical pa off with hartline and bess and substitute a clean release wallace in one of those slots and you will have safeties and dbs scared to death of getting beat over the top opening up more space in base set run plays and allowing you to bang them off pa vertical with more efficiency...

i also don't agree with any tannehill can't throw the ball deep stuff...that's not what i saw this year...mike wallace would do murder in pa would bang the opposition for chunk yardage on comebacks and deep outs and catch quick slants screens and posts with more big play ability than anyone we have on the roster...

design ways to get wallace clean releases off the los either by motion or by stacking the wrs etc and he'll do murder...and when teams do try to press him he's so quick and explosive they usually go to press bail and he gets into his route and off the los efficiently...