Mando/Rotoworld: Mike Wallace to enter free agency and not get tagged | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mando/Rotoworld: Mike Wallace to enter free agency and not get tagged

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
Mike Wallace - WR - Steelers

GM Kevin Colbert said Wednesday it's "very doubtful" the Steelers use the franchise tag.

"I don't think we have too many franchise players," Colbert said bluntly. "We're not married to anybody." It's the strongest indication yet the Steelers plan to let Mike Wallace hit the open market, where he'd almost certainly receive an offer Pittsburgh couldn't match. Despite a down 2012, the 26-year-old Wallace figures to be the most sought after free agent wideout.

rotoworld.com

Part of the converstion about free agency on this site has involved Mike Wallace. And that conversation has assumed that Wallace will actually be available despite the fact the Pittsburgh Steelers can use the franchise tag on him or re-sign him between now and the March 12 opening of free agency.
Well, today there is some clarity on that assumption straight from the horse's mouth.
Pittsburgh general manager Kevin Colbert met with the local media today and cleared up several questions. He said it was "very doubtful" the club would use the franchise tag on anyone.
So there's that.
And he made the point that the Steelers are not worried about their free agents going out into the market to test the free agency waters.
"We won't know what an individual player costs until he gets out there," Colbert said.
That means Wallace will be on the market in all probability.
Colbert also made the point that the Steelers "are not married" to any player. Actually, he piggybacked on that by adding that Pittsburgh must change the roster from the one that got them to 8-8 because to be different you have to, well, be different.
Change is coming to the Steelers. It looks as if Wallace might be part of that change.

start the bidding at $10 mil per...don't be surprised if a bidding war ensues and he gets north of $12 mil per when he signs

He would be a great pickup but I think he is going to ask for crazy money, Fitzgerald money.. and he isnt worth that. If we can get him on a somewhat reasonable deal which leaves room to improve other positions then great if not... hey Greg.

Doesn't say he's for sure going to leave them.

he's gone, the steelers are not going to lockup that type of money on 2 WR's, that defense is aging big time, I will be shocked if he is back with the steelers.

This will create some interesting discussion in Davie. He is a nightmare for defenses. Even with a safety over the top he can run right past them. He is behind the defense numerous times every game. He will take pressure off of the rest of the offense while at the same time catch numerous deep balls throughout the season. He is well worth the money. The question will be whether Philbin can get over the drops and the route running. Personally, I would, especially since it was not nearly as big an issue in previous years, when the contract wasn't on his mind. I think Jennings will be a Dolphin for sure. My gut tells me Wallace won't, but, it's a discussion that has to be had.

with teams having to spend so much under the new cba to meet the salary floor expect any top end headed into their prime which at 26 years old is the ideal honey hole player that hits free agency to sign for big time money...

if miamis not willing to overpay somewhat wallace won't come here...someone is gonna offer that guy $60 mil over 5 years...and he's gonna follow the money...

with teams having to spend so much under the new cba to meet the salary floor expect any top end headed into their prime which at 26 years old is the ideal honey hole player that hits free agency to sign for big time money...

if miamis not willing to overpay somewhat wallace won't come here...someone is gonna offer that guy $60 mil over 5 years...and he's gonna follow the money...

Is he worth that much though? is his production that much higher than say Jennings to make him worth over 10 million more? Wallace is the best free agent on the market but is it smart to break the bank on one player? My heart says pay him my head says sign Jennings and a top free agent TE like Keller.

Geez what to do what to do! If certain if we got him we would definitely need to resign Hartline and draft another big play receiver in the draft. Personally I'm of the opinion lets fix this receiving group once and for all!

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Is he worth that much though? is his production that much higher than say Jennings to make him worth over 10 million more? Wallace is the best free agent on the market but is it smart to break the bank on one player? My heart says pay him my head says sign Jennings and a top free agent TE like Keller.

I hear you but with Jennings your looking for another receiver in about 2-3 years at best!

I don't think he is worth that much money.

Does anyone remember Alvin Harper?

I would focus on the packer wr or other free agent WRs. Look at all the catches marshall had this year with the Bears, they didn't even make the playoffs as a wildcard.

Can't say it much better than that.

top guys always get overpai in free agency...wallace is one guy that is in his prime and a legitimate playmaker...barring injury you are getting that level impact for the next 5 years or the length of the contract provided he stays motivated...i know one thing when nfl gms and scouts put on some of that all 22 view coaches tape and see just how rediculously fast that kid gets on top of dbs and eats up cushions and then just blows by people they are gonna be salivating...add in for his size he's tougher than he looks and his route running on the routes he does run is pretty solid for a burner and i think he's gonna have quite a market...

unless some things surface about him being a bad soldier...still that tape is SCARY...most explosive vertical blow by wr in football...

if i need a burner to keep defenses honest and make plays over the top he's worth it to me...and miami needs that some kind of bad to run shermans vertical passing o...again though he's played for peanuts the last 2 years if you don't come correct with the money he's not ever visiting your facility...ireland better come correct if he wants to be in on this

Back
Top Bottom