Mando: Tannehill had a good first day of practice

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, May 4, 2012.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

Ryan Tannehill had a good first day of rookie minicamp. That should not be surprising to anyone. He's the first-round pick. He said he knows approximately "80 to 85 percent" of the offense because it's similar to the one he ran at Texas A&M although "some of the concepts have changed."
    So the rook is off to a good start.
    Tannehill throws a very impressive ball on out patterns and comebacks. He also connected on a couple of deep passes that caught the coaching staff's collective eye. He threw what looked like a nine route to Rishard Matthews that was perhaps the play of the practice. He had another connection with UDFA A.J. Guyton that also went deep.
    "He threw a couple of double-moves and deep routes well," coach Joe Philbin said.
    Tannehill did throw an interception but it happened on his first pass in team drills when he hit B.J. Cunningham in the hands and the receiver couldn't come up with the football. The loose ball popped in the air and was intercepted by Vincent Agnew. Agnew had a nice practice today as he also had another notable PD later in the practice.
    There were more than a couple of drops today. Free agent Derek Moye dropped one, prompting a coach to yell, "Catch the ball!"
    Third-round pick Michael Egnew also suffered a drop although he was able to catch a couple also. Egnew, by the way, is Tannehill's roommate at the team hotel where players are staying.
    Tannehill is obviously more familiar than any of these rookies with the offense, save receiver Jeff Fuller, because both have been in the Aggies offense. He can press his advantage here, but Philbin said he wouldn't say he'll be ahead of veterans Matt Moore and David Garrard in knowing the system.

2. phins420

phins420 Rookie

Great news!

3. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

NFL32 is reviewing the AFC East and Merrill Hoge says, "No way Tannehill is ready to start next year, he is too inexperienced and panics under pressure." I am sure he said the same thing about Andy Dalton last year. Hoge is a turd.....he seems to be a Mr. Know-It-All, like earlier today when he criticized Kurt Warner for saying he wouldn't want his own kids to play football, and called Warner, "uneducated."

4. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

B.J. Cunningham also noted on the Finsiders he had trouble understanding a play and Tannehill took charge and sorted him out. Leader.

5. balashark151

balashark151 Member

The kid needs time...

6. phinatic1399

Not a big fan of Hodge but I think Tannehill does need to sit for at least a whole year, the worst thing we could do is throw him to the wolves right away and destroy is confidence. Dalton had more experience than Tannehill especially big game experience playing in a rose bowl and trying to protect an undefeated season. People might call me crazy but I see a lot of Aaron Rodgers in Tannehill and Rodgers sat for 4 years and now he is the best QB in football. Not saying tanny needs for years but let him sit and learn then plug him in next year.

7. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Hoge is uptight because he puts too much starch in his collar.

8. General Tso

General Tso Seasoned Veteran

1. Merrill didn't like Rodgers at all in 2005, liked Brohm a lot better. He was wrong on Aaron and he'll probably be wrong on Tannehill.
    2. Rodgers sat 3 years, not 4... and he wouldn't have been sitting for 3 years if he weren't behind a first ballot HOF. I don't buy into the BS assumption that he was only transformed into the Rodgers he's been his entire career simply because he sat for 3 years.
    3. I don't see much of Rodgers in Tannehill. Ryan T is a better athlete, has better size and arm strength. Aaron is more accurate and from what I've seen has more of that "my **** don't stink" swagger you tend to see in elite QBs. One thing that they do have in common is being overlooked early in their college careers and having good soph/junior seasons in spite of poor WR corps, unlike a Weeden or Griffin.

9. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

Not bad for the first day and settling in.

10. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

I think its premature to say he should or shouldnt sit. If he comes to camp and shows hes better than Moore and Garrard..and shows in preseason he can handle the game speed..as well as against our D in training camp..i dont see how you dont start him. Could he benefit from sitting?..maybe..but the same could be said that playing him and getting him reps is best. You arent throwing him to the wolves if he is shows in TC that he is ready. Rodgers sat because GB had the luxury of a HOF QB. Everyone is different and learns at a different rate. People thought Newton should sit too..but he proved that he could play at that game speed. I say we hold judgement until we get to TC and trust Philibin to make that call

MadDog 88 likes this.
  11. next-year

next-year MostHated

i agree with most of what you said but Rodgers might have the strongest arm in the nfl. Tannehill is still developing his arm strength but is not at Rodgers level yet . Also they are both great athletes, Rodgers is wayyy faster than people give him credit for.

12. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Two things would have to be true for me to start him at QB.

1st) He needs to be better then Matt Moore

2nd) Our OL needs to be vastly improved so he does not get beat up.

If these two are met, then that will give him a chance for success.

13. phinatic1399

both rodgers and tannehill throw extremely well on the run and have good arms, both can operate the wc offense, both have the same backgrounds with sherman/philbin, there are a lot of parallels

14. fatkirstyalley

fatkirstyalley Donut Enthusiast

Each QB has a different internal setting, there is no way we should say Tannehill should or shouldn't play based on others performance. Different people different mind sets different circumstances. Oh and Hoge is an *******

15. Fin4life3

Fin4life3 Member

He will take his lumps and bumps...but I think he will be good down the road.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

T-hill seems ahead of the curve in confidence, knowledge, leadership, and skill based on what we are hearing.

I am still amazed he is a dolphin. I am so glad he is. I like him alot as a person aside from his leadership skills. He seems a natural or that it comes natural. And he keeps saying he wants to get in their with the team and learn together all the time. Its just like he knows what has to be done and he will lead and go do it.

If in preseason you see him doing very well then you could end up seeing a serious conversation about letting this kid cut his NFL teeth right away. I tend to think he will start seomwhere around the bye week or later if he continues to shine week after week. The media will have a complete outside perspective and they really dont want to have to talk about a successful Miami QB. You can just hear it in their voices/language.

17. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

I'm glad you brought this up. I saw this too. I don't know what the hell Merrill Hodge watches, but Tannehill does not panic under pressure. In fact that is one of Tannehills best traits. He handles the pocket beautifully and that is one of the main reasons I think he will end up starting by mid season.

18. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Aaron by all accounts has developed one of the best abilities to read and react to defensive formations. It's not just his awesome accuracy, quick release, and elusiveness that makes him one of the best. Obviously T-hill has a steep learning curve ahead of him beyond mastering the offense and adjusting to game speed.

19. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Hoge is wrong. One of T-Hills best traits is poise in the pocket and standing tough. When he does run, he runs like a WR which is a threat. He is highly accurate and accurate on the run similar to rodgers. Both smart and natural leaders. Rodgers come out early as a junior and only had 22 games in college. I think T-Hill wont wait more then 1 year and I hope he can make it out on the field by the bye week. He would have to outplay the other two more experienced QBs which may take more time.

20. wote03

wote03 Rookie

Definitely good to hear. Though at this point we can take this information with a grain if salt.

21. General Tso

I love Rodgers. Best QB in NFL. He'll be a 1st ballot HOF'er unless his arm falls off in the next year or two. He's got above average arm strength, but he's not Stafford. He's a good athlete, but he was never going to play WR and catch for over 1500 yards and 10 TD's like Tannehill.

22. Baller

Baller Active Member Donator

My biggest fear for the Dolphins has already begun. Success starved fans are going to start calling for Tannehill to start.

23. General Tso

If Ryan plays anywhere close to as well as Aaron, we'll all be very happy... finally.

24. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

If Luck and RG3 can start and GM is correct about the not much difference and the fact that he understands the offense means it will not be a huge risk if he starts by the bye week. He is definitely working to start day 1 and it does not matter what the fans say. T-Hill believes he is the best QB on the roster and will work himself to start sometime this year.

25. dabeastdabone

dabeastdabone Seasoned Veteran

I think people might be mixed up. Everyone assumes Moore will get the start because he has an edge of experience and knowledge. I'm not sure that will turn out to be the truth at all. Tannehill knows the offense they are running and Moore doesn't. Tannehill is a pre-med (rather Smart) guy and I think might just turn the tables on everyone. I'm thinking Tannehill is well on his way of starting game 1.

26. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

I´m putting my money on the fact that, the first time Tannehill plays on a regular season game....is not as a QB! Just sayin´ he might be thrown into a game or two, to get a feel! Wait, was this the #1 WR we were looking for?? OK, time to duck...

27. Killerphins

Killerphins Well-Known Member

What better way to develop a QB than trial by fire. Tanny holds a clipboard behind Matt Moore is bad news.
    QB driven league remember?

28. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

29. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

I personally think Ryan Tannehill can beat out Luck and RG3 for rookie of the year purely based off his familiarity with the west coast offensive scheme. I mean, the Dolphins are better than Indy & Wash, right? Just look at the characters in question closely, you'll notice Ryan has a sharper, prehaps even smoother of a demeanor than both QB's mentioned (and that's saying something). For all intents and purposes it's up to Matt Moore and David Garrard to go out and prove that they are as knowledgeable of the playbook as Ryan and can lead like him come Training Camp. I don't see it happening.

IT'S TIME!

Build the team around Ryan and let's be great from the start, and let's never..EVER look back.

Throw him to the wolves.

30. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

If the lights are truly coming on for Vince Agnew this year, he could be enormously helpful to the Dolphins defense. Every team needs 4 good corners in today's game and let's face it, CB's get injured. Remember the 2012 Rams.

I think the Dolphins should keep 6 CB's, and 3 safeties, with two of the CB's able to play safety as well.

Obviously, Richard Marshall is an ace in the hole here, but who else? I trust Sean Smith to defend TE's but other than that, I think he is a boundary corner only.

Agnew has shown better than average tackling ability in college and some in preseason and practice. Maybe he could be the other swing DB in this system.

It would be nice to have a DB with legitimate 4.3 speed who can actually catch a football, but you can't be easily fooled and unreliable in coverage and make it in the NFL; hopefully this is the year Vince gets it right and has the opportunity use his freakish athleticism and tackling ability to help the Dolphins to defense.

31. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

Ridiculous.

32. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

recent years there have been a lot of rookie qb's that were put right into the fire to lurn as they go.some have done really good and proved they could be a good qb no matter what the nay sayers claim.just look at the qb's tht were drafted last year in the first two rounds that played last year.there should be an open qb competition end of story then let the best player start

33. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

I am happy to see his leadership of rookies. He has talent, and he knows the playbook. He cannot possibly ready for the speed of the pro game. That is going to take time. While he has experience reading defenses because of the pro style that A&M ran, he is not ready for the pro level defensive looks. I am fairly confident that Moore will be our starter for at. Least 4 games.

34. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I doubt if this happens because he'd probably be the #3 emergency QB on the roster and the rules pretty much make it impossible for him to get in the game as a receiver as the emergency QB.

35. 72PhinFan

72PhinFan Well-Known Member

Those rules no longer apply. There is no emergency QB since last year. Either he's active game day or he's not.

36. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

RT will be the back up QB behind Matt Moore to start the season. He will get a chance to play this year. Garrard will be released at after game 3 of the preseason. We are going younger and all in with RT. I think the kid will do fine. Just my .02

37. raving

raving Starter

Really like the "turd" call! Thanks for that - you made me laugh.