manny lawson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

manny lawson

miamiMVP

Rookie
Reaction score
Guys i know lawson is a physical specimen and he has the athletic ability to dominate, but aren't you getting the sense that maybe he is a bit of a product from playing on the opposite side of mario williams.

just a thought.

You can make an argument that Williams is a product of playing opposite of him and McCargo.

Also, at the end of the season, when the players and coaches voted for their "team mvp", yep Manny won.

Yes I do feel like you must be careful in many ways when it comes to evaluating Lawson.
First most teams project him to OLB so in respect to the requirements to that position what do we know about Lawson? very little he didnt do much of any coverage...he didnt play from a 2point stance...as a DE his outside contain on run plays was a bit weak and as pass rusher he has mostly a speed rush move.

I have heard some "experts" say he is a faster Carl Banks..IMO if he makes it as an OLB the guy he reminds me of is Derrick Thomas the former Cheifs LB.

Lawson is on of my favorites in the draft I just am not sure that he is worthy of the #16 pick.

miamiMVP said:
Guys i know lawson is a physical specimen and he has the athletic ability to dominate, but aren't you getting the sense that maybe he is a bit of a product from playing on the opposite side of mario williams.

just a thought.

plz go watch his video...http://www.twincitiesminnesotablog.com/2006/04/2006_vikings_dr.html

after watching that, i have never seen anyone come off the line that fast in my entire life and on evrey play its lawson there adn when you watch m. williams play almost 20% of em has lawson in it. it seemed to me that the QB would run away from lawson and towards williams. lawson has about 3 steps on williams off the line.

He still has the ability. Of course it helped out playing next to 2 other first day draft picks. I still think he could be a very good player in a few years.

zodiak said:
Yes I do feel like you must be careful in many ways when it comes to evaluating Lawson.
First most teams project him to OLB so in respect to the requirements to that position what do we know about Lawson? very little he didnt do much of any coverage...he didnt play from a 2point stance...as a DE his outside contain on run plays was a bit weak and as pass rusher he has mostly a speed rush move.

I have heard some "experts" say he is a faster Carl Banks..IMO if he makes it as an OLB the guy he reminds me of is Derrick Thomas the former Cheifs LB.

Lawson is on of my favorites in the draft I just am not sure that he is worthy of the #16 pick.

He actually played LB a fair bit, has played out of the 2 point stance extensively.
He did a fair amount of coverage at the Senior Bowl and looked fluent and like he belonged there, and teams that use the 4-3 would look at how JT has succeeded as an undersized DE in the 4-3 and project him there, he is a 3-4 OLB though.

I dont like Lawson at that pick, I would rather have Greenway or Sims but I think some team will fall in love with Lawson, I would rather take a true linebacker.

miamiMVP said:

just a thought.

The majority of the defensive front seven players with a 1st round grade played opposite of someone almost as good as they are with the exception being Ngata.

Back
Top Bottom