Manti Te'o's slow 40 time far more damaging to draft stock than fake girlfriend

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TrinidadDolfan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

Manti's troubles continue. Smaller than advertised, slower than expected....How far do you think he will slide?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8989377/2013-nfl-combine-slow-40-manti-teo-real-impact

"Te'o ran a 4.82 40 and could have possibly dropped out of the first round. Teams need fast linebackers who can drop into coverage and chase down tight ends or fast running backs. Unless Te'o improves that 4.82, he might get some second-round grades. This doesn't mean he can't be an every-down player."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

maybe, personally i dont think his 40 time is a big deal, now maybe being manhandled in championship game would impact my decision. judging a damn LB by his 40 time in shorts is far from smart

3. TrinidadDolfan

I hear ya. But I wonder......
    I really wonder if his implosion in his last game was a result of either:

a) Just can't handle the "big boys"
    or
    b) Was not mentally "there" because of the impending fear of the story breaking

Now, if the answer is a) then he would not be on my draft board at all. But, if he just couldn't get his mind in the game, because he knew that the school would break the story not long after the game, and that his life would explode, and that he would be ridiculed and laughed at by the whole nation....and that everyone would see that he perpetuated the "lie".......then I would better understand. And then I would consider him later on in the draft.

I really believe that his "crumbling" in the last game was a result of his mental anguish and fear, rather than a result of stiffer competition. you just don't dominate the way he did and then fall apart in 1 game (regardless of the talent he was facing) if the problem is athletic talent against a tough team.

He was spooked.

And for me, that is another red flag. Knowing that someone/something can get far enough inside his head to make him do stupid things.

4. hemidemon

hemidemon Starter

His pro day is more important than the combine. 40 times are fools gold anyway. I'm more concerned about game speed.

5. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

Anyone see Harbaugh's face when he ran the 40? Pretty much summed it up right there.

6. TrinidadDolfan

Yeah, wasn't pretty at all.
    He will slide, no doubt. But, how far??

7. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Been saying for two years now that this kid is so overrated. Everything about him is nothing more than media hype. He's an average LB.

In the NFL Draft, you want VALUE. No value whatsoever in Manti Te'o in the first round. Kevin Minter....there's some real value.

Kevin Minter in the second round is a flat out STEAL for someone.

8. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Disapearing in the BCS Championship only to be seen on his back run over, the fake girlfriend and lack luster speed is way to many red flags.

9. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

it's not just the 40, as Hoops so elegantly put it, everything Te'o did yesterday was mediocre. Re-watching some of his film, he really wasn't the playmaker he was hyped up as. A lot of tipped INTs, and a lot of tackles 4-5 yards down the field.

He's not a bad prospect, but looking back, he's not a WOW guy.

10. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

Average LB whose hype superseded his on the field talent. Hype garnered by false stories and playing for Notre Dame, media darlings that they are...

Glad we don't have to worry about the Fins drafting him. This guy wouldn't sniff the starting lineup on our D.

11. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

If the fake girlfriend thing never came up he wouldn't have to do the NFL combine and just wait for the pro day. His stock has went way down, I don't think I've ever seen a guy go from possibly Top 5 to maybe 5th round.

12. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

This. I really see him falling big time. The girlfriend thing is something that teams are not really wanting to deal with for the next four years. Especially for a guy that seems to lack a lot of explosiveness. Every highlight of the guy just seems to be right place right time. Now with guys like Zach Thomas that was because of sheer instinct, but I do not see that, it is really just a lot of tipped balls and horrible throws to a guy in a spot on random luck. A lot of the plays seem like he is in the wrong spot if things hadn't gone terribly wrong he would be toast. In the Bama game guys were able to get past the line to the second level and he was not good at handling that traffic. Huge issue in the NFL. 5th round is where I see him going, could be worse if teams with need are able to find options earlier. I don't see a team without a big need taking him because of everything that has gone on and this is what seems to happen in late rounds.

13. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

:lol2:

14. TrinidadDolfan

Wow, 5th rd is sooooo far from where he was projected as recently as December.
    I feel for the guy...he will be the Brady Quinn of this years draft. Cameras on him as pic-by-pick rolls by. Pretty emarassing I would say.
    I will go on record to say that he will be drafted bottom of 2nd or top of rd. 3

15. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Was never a huge fan of his to begin with, but this seems to be pointing out some big red flags with him. Regardless of the whole fake girlfriend thing, I think things like his horrible showing at the title game, poor combine showing, etc. is very concerning. And instead of taking it head-on, he's full of excuses for everything and doesn't take any personal responsibility. Even if he was available in the mid-rounds, I'm not sure I'd want him on our team. He's a huge distraction (press) and doesn't seem ready for the NFL. Too many other good options at LB, so I'd just pass.

16. gnome011

gnome011 Rookie

God I'm really tired of hearing about this guy...

17. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Hey hopefully he does fall and we draft him, he is going to be a good football player. His running a 4.8 shows nothing about him as a damn linebacker

18. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Definitely hurt him more than the girlfriend. 4.8 just isn't fast enough to be "elite" anymore I don't feel like. He plays a little faster than that, but this gives me doubts about his potential at the next level; when you have guys like Patrick Willis and Luke Kuechly who can run a 4.5. It's just becoming part of the bigger faster NFL I suppose

But who are you? the guy that just randomly overly hates Notre Dame? Damn man chill out.

19. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

Apparently Te'o is blaming his slow time on "stress" from the interviews. If I'm a GM that is NOT the answer I want to hear. He is basically saying he can't handle the pressure of an NFL lifestyle. Yeah, he is getting more attention than anybody else, if the kid can't handle polite reporters, how will he be able to handle a locker room full of players making fun of him?

20. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Fifth round is a real possibility for him. As I said he wouldn't have done the NFL Combine, the scouts would blindly still see him as a top 10 prospect, and he would just have gone straight to the pro day if it weren't for the fake girlfriend thing.

And I don't see how he's going to be a very good player, he looks like Channing Crowder to me. A guy that doesn't have the speed nore athleticism to cover athletic tight ends like Hernandez and Gronkowski.

I hope the Jets' draft him in the first round but I doubt Rex is that stupid.

21. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

The cone drill is more indicative of what kind of speed he needs as a MLB in the nfl. Not saying he is an awesome prospect but seriously knocking a mlb on a damn 40 time in shorts. I remember how the NFL would not be able to handle Ted Ginn and his amazing speed.

22. ChambersWI

5th is a stretch, but he is probably falling out of the first. MAYBE a team like Houston, who are desperate to find a competent ILB to place next to a healthy Brian Cushing, take him.

His other drills weren't that impressive either, including falling over finishing a change of direction drill.

But the bigger story is he built up a lot of good will with how he performed in private interviews, but then pretty much lost a lot of it for blaming his subpar combine on stress from the drills and being tired.

23. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

I am no draft guru. But nothing about this guy really makes me too sure he will be a good football player. Hell, he may never recover menatally from this stuff. I am not at all surprised that he ran slow either.

24. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

His stock fell all the way into a different thread. You're welcome America :up:

25. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Probably a 3rd Round pick for a team that NEEDS an inside linebacker in my opinion.

Bad draft for teams needing an ILB. Ogletree is an athletic headcase who might keep his nose clean, might not. Te'o is a subpar athlete/headcase. The value lies with Mauti, Bostic, Klein, Reddick, Minter. Take the last one left and you'll probably come out just fine.

26. ChambersWI

Slimm, I think I asked you before, but what ya think about Jake Ryan from Michigan in the future? He's been a playmaker both years for the Wolverines and is really getting better (as a Frosh he had no discipline and was used mostly as a pass rusher, as a Sophomore, he became more rounded).

And man, do I wish Mauti didn't hurt his knee again late in the season. Not a bad athlete by any means, and the kid has intangibles out the wazzou. Mauti is the type of kid that comes in and becomes a leader of a team real quick

27. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Mauti is the #3 ILB on my board... ahead of Te'o.

You have asked me prior about Jake Ryan and I hadn't done any individual scouting on the defensive side for Michigan at that time. However, Jake Ryan is a kid that I've looked at recently, and will be in my underclassman thread for 2014 which is stickied atop this forum. Fine player, absolutely.

28. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

Minter's workout #s are no better than Te'o's. Each of them could have improved their status to the 20th pick discussion but instead cemented themselves as borderline first rounders/probable second rounders. The talk on here of Te'o falling to the 5th round is ridiculous. Maualuga, Laurinaitis, & Curtis Lofton all ran similar 40 times hell Brandon Spikes ran a 5.0 40 & all of them were 2nd round picks & are solid starters.

29. TrinidadDolfan

I think that is about right. A drop halted by a team with NEED. 3rd rd, to a team willing to take a chance.

30. TrinidadDolfan

[​IMG]

31. AJAYFIEDLY

AJAYFIEDLY Member

32. keller377

keller377 Active Member Donator

Could you have more avatars bashing Manti? Some are almost original.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

If he ran a 4.9 it might be a matter of concern.

33. TrinidadDolfan

Lighten up Francis.