Marcus Mariota | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marcus Mariota

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus from the gurus in here on the kid Mariota? He's got wheels, and TBH looks a lot better than Manziel, maybe it's the scheme, but he's destroying teams out their with his arm and legs.

Haven't watched him a ton yet but what I watched he actually sort of reminded me of Terrelle Pryor...strictly of how he moves around, very basic. I saw a lot of quick short routes in the game I watched, and he made a couple NFL throws and he's brought his completion percentage up. I can't offer that much yet tho, just my extremely small sample that I've watched.

Haven't watched him a ton yet but what I watched he actually sort of reminded me of Terrelle Pryor...strictly of how he moves around, very basic. I saw a lot of quick short routes in the game I watched, and he made a couple NFL throws and he's brought his completion percentage up. I can't offer that much yet tho, just my extremely small sample that I've watched.

Sweet when you get more info that'd be awesome. Everyone's talking about him being a 1st rd pickup, and I still think he's a better option than Manziel.

Mariota could add some weight (much thinner than you want a QB - especially one that wants to run as much as Mariota), but he has really nice physical tools.

Two things would cause me (not speaking for the Dolphins - but in general) be uneasy about drafting him high (top 15):

1. He's a mild-mannered guy. Shy. I know Oregon is a high-profile team these days, but most of the time, they're the far better team. Does he have the personality to lead a team through sustained adversity? Every QB has times in his career (usually early) when his team is stuck in neutral. Leading by example goes a long way, but is he the kind of guy who will hold his teammates accountable?

2. He's going to be playing a completely different game in the NFL. Even if the Eagles draft him, he's going to have to hold the ball more and go through reads in the NFL. Teams are going to make him a pocket passer, and they're not going to give him quick reads all day - like he gets in the Pac 12.

Usually, people think of the interview process being important for guys like Coples and Jenkins (problem kids), but I think it'll be as important for Mariota as anyone. Teams will want to see if he has the football IQ and the leadership qualities to play in the NFL, because you're making all kinds of projections with him.

I would not draft him ahead of Manziel; I would draft him ahead of Boyd and (probably) Hundley.

Mariota gives you everything you could want except a killer streak. He's got skills to burn, but needs to learn to kick the opponent when he down. It's more than just running up a score.

I really like Mariota and would take him before Manziel and Bridgewater. But there are probably five other teams needing a QB before we would get a shot at him. I haven't given up on Tanny but he would be good competition for him....
Keep Devlin as our #3 QB and trade Matt Moore for a late pick.

Guy with the most upside. Game continues to get better. Don't be so sure just because he's in this style of offense in college that it won't work in the NFL. The kid can throw the ball really well, and I think with a year or two can translate just fine at the next level. You will see 3 QB's fly off the board in the top 5 picks and he will be one if he comes out.

If you mix in all turnovers Mariota needs to answer for fumbles. But he makes good decisions passing. It doesn't hurt that Frost has that offense humming.

Looks like Wilson a little bit as far as playing style, very active QB, will run, and throws darts and makes good decisions.

I am watching Mariota and the Ducks playing the U of A in Tucson right now. Mariota had a passed picked off on a crazy deflection. The weather is kind of cold and rainy. Mariota is great at knowing when to run and when not to force it, nice mobility, good size, arm strength. :hump:

Mariota will be drafted, but if it's Miami the first Duck they should look at is Ekpre-Olamu. Then a flyer on Lyerla on the third day.

Back
Top Bottom