Marino only Dolphin better than Taylor | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino only Dolphin better than Taylor

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Broadening the frame to include all players, I would depose that only Dan Marino was better or more accomplished at what he did.

One man's view of this franchise's 10 greatest players:
1. Marino; 2. Taylor; 3. Larry Little; 4. Larry Csonka; 5. Zach Thomas; 6. Mark Clayton; 7. Bob Griese; 8. Dick Anderson; 9. Nick Buoniconti; 10. Bob Kuechenberg.

The case that I omitted someone would be easier to sell me on than the argument I am rating Taylor too high. It might be too soon for some fans to see it, though. The divorce might be too raw, especially for that sizable faction of Dolfans who see Taylor in villain's clothes as he exits. As selfish for wanting out.

True enough the way Taylor left the Dolphins was neither neat nor sweet, but he's in good company. The franchise's twin titans, Don Shula and Marino, didn't exactly leave on their own terms and smiling, either. Csonka was called a traitor once, too, for jumping leagues.

Pain, anger, regret -- all of those things will fade, and let us more clearly see what we have lost in Taylor: the best we ever had at what he does. I believe he will make the Pro Football Hall of Fame someday, especially if his career continues productively in Washington beyond just one more season.
Taylor would be the only Dolphins defender other than Buoniconti to reach the Canton, Ohio, shrine, and Nick, history books remind us, was an established, seven-year Boston Patriots star before ever coming to Miami.

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/614240.html

As much as I love Jason Taylor and Thomas, those other guys brought us to and/or won us a super bowl. Taylor and Thomas did not.

I don't know if I agree with Jason Taylor being 2nd on that list but I think Jake Scott was more accomplished than Dick Anderson.

The fact that Taylor played so many games with the Dolphins at such a high level i think has to put him in the conversation for second behind Marino. But i've always considered the second greatest Dolphin to be Larry Csonka, as good as guys like Larry Little and Bob Griese were. I think my list would be something like:

1. Dan Marino
2. Larry Csonka (arguably the greatest FB to ever play he has to be here)
3. Jason Taylor
4. Zach Thomas
5. Larry Little (one of the greatest guards to ever play)
6. Bob Griese
7. Mark Clayton (our greatest receiver)
8. Nick Buoniconti
9. Bob Kuechenberg
10. Richmond Webb

When you start with all time great Miami Dolphins players, it has to start with the three guys who have had their jerseys retired by the team. Then you can fill in the blanks.

1. Dan Marino
2. Bob Griese
3. Larry Csonka
4. Zach Thomas
5. Jason Taylor
6. Bob Kuechenberg
7. Mark Clayton
8. Richmond Webb
9. Larry Little
10. Jake Scott

clear.gif

As much as I love Jason Taylor and Thomas, those other guys brought us to and/or won us a super bowl. Taylor and Thomas did not.

so tear down Marino then too.

Most of those other guys had eachother when they won their titles....Little, Czonka, Griese, Anderson, Kuech, Buoniconti. That's 6 of the best 10 right there.....so they made a great team and the team won championships. That's not even counting others who deserve consideration (M.Morris, P.Warfield, J.Scott, M.Fernandez)

Of the other 4 Marino and Clayton had eachother, and Zach and JT had eachother....but not much else in terms of all-time great Phins. And if you counted up the next tier.....Marino had more to work with than JT.

so tear down Marino then too.

Most of those other guys had eachother when they won their titles....Little, Czonka, Griese, Anderson, Kuech, Buoniconti. That's 6 of the best 10 right there.....so they made a great team and the team won championships. That's not even counting others who deserve consideration (M.Morris, P.Warfield, J.Scott, M.Fernandez)

Of the other 4 Marino and Clayton had eachother, and Zach and JT had eachother....but not much else in terms of all-time great Phins. And if you counted up the next tier.....Marino had more to work with than JT.

Marino brought us to a super bowl...

Marino brought us to a super bowl...

oh...need to work on my reading comprehension.

well, I stand by the remainder of my post...even Marino and Clayton had more help than ZT and JT.

Greatest Phins to play with Marino and Clayton: Duper, Nat Moore, D.Stephenson, Offerdahl, L.Oliver, R.Webb, K.Simms, Tony Nathan, Reggie Roby

JT and Zach: Madison, Surtain, Bowens, McMichael, Chambers

I would say 1. Marino 2. Csonka 3. Taylor... the rest is real debatable.

Zach Thomas has lead the league in tackles for how many seasons? Or is in at least the top 3 otherwise except last season? I have no idea how anyone can make a serious list that could ever have Taylor ahead of Thomas.

This JT love fest has just gotten to a sickening place.

Zach Thomas has lead the league in tackles for how many seasons? Or is in at least the top 3 otherwise except last season? I have no idea how anyone can make a serious list that could ever have Taylor ahead of Thomas.

This JT love fest has just gotten to a sickening place.

BOTH were great players for Miami and BOTH may one day be in the Hall of Fame. As for the "love fest" you speak of, I feel the same way about the JT hatred. The guy has more sacks than ANYONE in the NFL since the 2000 season. That means he has been the most productive defensive end for the better part of a decade. He won the DPOY. Accept how great he has been and move on.

Back
Top Bottom