Marino only Dolphin better than Taylor | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino only Dolphin better than Taylor

And how about perhaps the greatest center ever, Dwight Stephenson? Not to mention hall of fame center Jim Langer.

We all love Jason Taylor, and he is a great Dolphin, but lets not get carried away.

And how about perhaps the greatest center ever, Dwight Stephenson? Not to mention hall of fame center Jim Langer.

We all love Jason Taylor, and he is a great Dolphin, but lets not get carried away.

Exactly, he just happens to be the most recent Superstar. Great player, but not 2nd all time for the Phins.

Plus with the way the game is played now, and statistics and all that it's really hard to say. I mean, how would some of those greats faired now a days? How would Jason Taylor have faired back in 72. My opinion is he would have been dominated. But inthe same light, the 72 guys probably wouldn't be as good now-a-days.

So in an age with inflated stats it's really difficult to judge by looking at stats. Which is why I always say stats don't tell the whole story.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are great QB'S. But they are living in an era where all the rules help the WR'S and QB'S. If you breathe on Brady you get a 15 yard penalty. Back in the day you would get hit an hour after you passed the ball, slammed to the ground, get your helmet stepped on and then laughed at if you didn't get up right away. I know I overexaggerate.

But the point is, different times, different rules, different outcomes.

Taylor never lead us to a SB barely sniffen an AFC Championship game.

There is no way I put him #2. Maybe he does make top 10, I won't argue that, but to put him #2 is almost disrespecting many of the greats who have played.

How about Keith Simms?

BOTH were great players for Miami and BOTH may one day be in the Hall of Fame. As for the "love fest" you speak of, I feel the same way about the JT hatred. The guy has more sacks than ANYONE in the NFL since the 2000 season. That means he has been the most productive defensive end for the better part of a decade. He won the DPOY. Accept how great he has been and move on.

Whatever... moved way on when twinkle toes was on DWTS. Never said Taylor wasn't great.. but No.2 Not before Thomas. And Im sure there are other players in the history of the organization that may have a place in there.

I would rank Zach at number two just because of his preparation and he didn't cause the same drama that JT did towards the end there. How come Mark Duper isn't on anyone's top 10? One Marx brother without the other just doesn't look right to me.

Cote needs to be stuck in a resuscitation chamber for leaving out Dwight Stevenson completely.

I thought I was going out of my mind when it took 7 posts for Stephenson to be mentioned.

There was a greater gap from Stephenson to the #2 center in the league than any similar relationship in Dolphin history.

Bill Stanfill hasn't been nominated. Big shock. I must have been watching a different sport. He was dominant off the edge in Miami's true glory years and at his peak in the Super Bowl years. Much bigger natural frame than Taylor, particularly considering the typical size of players in that era.

Stanfill is so far clear as most underrated player it team history it's like he should be 1-10 in that category all by himself.

Taylor belongs high on a Miami franchise team. So do Marino, and Madison/Surtain at their position. I'm less certain about Zach.

But I still have no idea how the early '70s guys don't practically monopolize the list -- Griese, Csonka, Warfield, Little, Keuchenberg, Stanfill, Anderson, Scott, Langer, Buoniconti, Morris.

Sorry, but winning vital games in January is warp speed more significant than tossing the ball around in September and October. This forum seems to have odd priority level, like Ronnie Brown asserted as a top 5 running back based on a stretch we didn't win a single game. I'll look forward to the next truly great Dolphin stretch, when team history will naturally assume clear focus.

Just a few Dolphins to consider without any real thought - Larry Csonka, Dan Marino, Larry Little, Manny Fernandez, Bob Langer, Dwight Stephenson, Zach Thomas, Dick Anderson, Nick Buoniconti and Bob Kuechenberg. I wouldn't belittle Jason's contribution but you need to put his contribution into the context of the franchise!

when it took 7 posts for Stephenson to be mentioned.

Bill Stanfill hasn't been nominated. Big shock. I must have been watching a different sport. He was dominant off the edge in Miami's true glory years and at his peak in the Super Bowl years. Much bigger natural frame than Taylor, particularly considering the typical size of players in that era.

Stanfill is so far clear as most underrated player it team history it's like he should be 1-10 in that category all by himself.

I hang my head in shame for forgetting Bill Stanfill. A well-done to Awsi Dooger for picking him up.

Good Read, Thanks. Can't argue with the article.

I can. Great players play great in big games.
As much as I rooted for JT and ZT ,realistically neither one ever played great in a meaningful game. They had great stats, but no real results.
AJ Duhe was a much better player than JT. He single handedly won a playoff game against the Jets.
Dwight Stephenson dominated the opposition, often taking out 2-3 defenders in one play.
JT was invisible when he lined up against the elite LT's i.e Ogden, Pace and Boselli

I cannot beleive what I am reading. i cant see Jason as the number 2 player in team history . for God's sakes people Bob Greise and Mercury Morris and Richmond Webb were all more instrumental in getting us to a playoff game then taylor ever thought about . the fact is Jason is way overrated but he is still a good player but I can name 15 to 20 players more deserving of being number 2 then jason.

I would put best players like this.

#1 Dan Marino

#2 Larry Csonka

#3 Paul Warfield

#4 Duriel Harris

#5 Bob Greise

#6 Mercury Morris

#7 Jim Langer

#8 Dwight Stephenson

#9 Keith Jackson

#10 Ricky Williams

jason always folds in in big games so i could honestly put Sam Madison and Randy Mcmichael because these two genious had more plays in big games then jason did. ( just my opinion)

I cannot beleive what I am reading. i cant see Jason as the number 2 player in team history . for God's sakes people Bob Greise and Mercury Morris and Richmond Webb were all more instrumental in getting us to a playoff game then taylor ever thought about . the fact is Jason is way overrated but he is still a good player but I can name 15 to 20 players more deserving of being number 2 then jason.

I would put best players like this.

#1 Dan Marino

#2 Larry Csonka

#3 Paul Warfield

#4 Duriel Harris

#5 Bob Greise

#6 Mercury Morris

#7 Jim Langer

#8 Dwight Stephenson

#9 Keith Jackson

#10 Ricky Williams

jason always folds in in big games so i could honestly put Sam Madison and Randy Mcmichael because these two genious had more plays in big games then jason did. ( just my opinion)

Yeah, that's who I meant LOL. My mistake. Though Keith Simms was very good Richmond Webb was phnomial. Possibly our best Tackle ever.

He should easily be on out top 10.

Warfield not being on that list also is interesting.

But the serious question, or statement, I threw the credibilty of this top 10 away the moment I didn't see Ray Lucas on there.

I can. Great players play great in big games.
As much as I rooted for JT and ZT ,realistically neither one ever played great in a meaningful game. They had great stats, but no real results.
AJ Duhe was a much better player than JT. He single handedly won a playoff game against the Jets.
Dwight Stephenson dominated the opposition, often taking out 2-3 defenders in one play.
JT was invisible when he lined up against the elite LT's i.e Ogden, Pace and Boselli
I have tried before to tell people about AJ Duhe the man was one of the best at his position.And I promise we will not miss JT like we did Dwight Stevenson.That game agianest the Jet's in the play-offs no linebacker has ever took over like AJ did.He made todd change his religon.And there running back forgot his name.By the way where's the love for Kuch

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad someone else came to Dwight Stephenson's defense, the fact that he is not on some lists shows either youth or something else. Many of the other selections are debatable, but Stephenson, and Marino HAVE to be there, no debate.

If I am not mistaken, even Dan points out that Dwight was the best he ever played with, and Howie Long stated, he was the ONLY individual offensive lineman they ever game planned for......he was good.

hard to believe that any dolphins fan would make a top 10 list that doesn't include Stevenson...sorry but JT imo is not the 2nd greatest dolphin ever.......I'd put Stevenson,little and Larry Z and Paul Warfield in fron of him....so my list would be,

Marino
Stevenson
Larry Z
Warfield
Little

JT and Zach are pretty even imo and then you have Duper and Clayton and Griese and Kuechenburg...I loved JT but 2nd all time? I don't think so

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom