Marino or Elway?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by north, Jun 17, 2004.

1. north

north Active Member

you are the coach for a football team and you have a choice who to pick up, do u pick Marino or Elway?
    I personally would deffinetly go Marino.
    Be honest

2. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

99% of the people here will laugh and say "Marino of course."

99% of the people in a Broncos forum will laugh and say "Elway of course."

3. FIN-IN-RI

FIN-IN-RI A True Fan

Marino or Elway? Well I would have to go with Marino on that one.

4. north

north Active Member

thats why i said be honest, you want the best qb, who do u pick?

5. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

I never saw them in their prime so I don't have an educated opinion on this. But almost every NFL writer has picked Elway (or Montana) ahead of Marino when faced with this question.

6. DeDolfan

DeDolfan A True Fan

in all honesty, it would greatly depend on the other players on the team.
    marino would not stand a chance with the OL we had last yr.

7. FIN-IN-RI

FIN-IN-RI A True Fan

That isn't entirely true because the OLINE strategy would be completely different (pass block #1/run block second) with Marino at the helm especially w/his quick release.

8. saves

saves FinHeaven VIP

Depends on what your trying to do offensively. Marino has the better arm, but Elway was the faster, more athletic one.

9. jesusfreak26

jesusfreak26 Holy Fin

10. DeDolfan

DeDolfan A True Fan

But that's why i said that since this OL is basically built for Ricky and not for a Marino as the OL with Webb and Simms was. Granted, with his quick realease, he may fare better than a [Brian] Griese tho. iMO, Elways would be better with that OL than marino based on his mobility alone. Now in the shoptgun and those quick little slants and such, marino would be the king.

11. phinman1

phinman1 Seriously now

No less a source than Montana rated Marino ahead of Elway when he chose the 20 greatest QB's ever. (He excluded himself in the list). Said hands down Marino was the greatest passer in the history of football, something we all know. Marino was second on his list, behind some old timer, whose name escapes me at the moment, Luckman maybe?

12. shalafi3455

shalafi3455 Big Dawg

Marino but have Elway as your back up just in case! ;)

13. pvgolf32

pvgolf32 Well-Known Member

i dont see how you can saw marino had the better arm--maybe he was more accurate but elway had a cannon

14. MIAMI DOLPHIN

MIAMI DOLPHIN Active Member

All i know is Elway didnt do a damn thing until terrel davis came along. I would take dan any day over Elway.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

He did go to three superbowls without Davis. I don't really know why going to the superbowl isn't considered something.

16. FlyingElvis

FlyingElvis Well-Known Member

I'd take Elway.

Watching Marino carve up a defense was quite a sight. It always amazed me, even with cement feet, how he felt pressure in the pocket and just sidestepped enough to find an open target.

But Davis or not, Elway had a magic that was special. He was the complete package. Great arm, could run, and had a flare for the dramatic, pulling out late wins.

From the eighties on, I'd say:

1. Montana 2. Elway 3. Marino 4. Favre

I'm probably shortchanging someone. I might put Steve Young ahead of Favre. Favre makes too many bonehead plays.

17. Chambers34Phins

Chambers34Phins A True Fan

I take Marino. Montana and Elway are put ahead becuase they have rings.

18. shalafi3455

shalafi3455 Big Dawg

I'm interested in why you would put Montana ahead of Marino? You explaines why you have Elway so I was just wondering! :D

19. shalafi3455

shalafi3455 Big Dawg

How can you rate a single position like QB by using a team stat like winning rings to place a player ahead of someone with more records in that position?

I'm not saying your wrong or anything it's your opinion and your entitled to it, I'm just wondering!

20. saves

saves FinHeaven VIP

I mean he's the better passer of the two

21. juniorseau55

juniorseau55 The Finheaven Intimidator

Marino had the strongest arm but I seen Elway play some amazing games back in the days. Elway was a great player in the playoffs too, had more wins and comebacks than marino and his teams were as good as marino's.

22. FlyingElvis

Because he reminds me of Tom Brady! :evil: Kidding!! :)

I know you guys aren't big on the rings for liking a QB, but Montana has too many for it to be an accident. He elevated the players around him. I don't necessarily believe the argument that the players around him were more talented, so thats why he was successful. Its kind of like the chicken and the egg story. I think a guy like Montana made those around him better because he was so good at distributing the ball. Great decision maker, seemed like he had 4 eyes. No one, ever could survey a defense and go to the right receiver like Montana.

Joe Montana was the Jason Kidd of football. He might not have many 400 yard, or 5 TD pass games, but you would have 5 or 6 guys with 3 or more catches.

23. shalafi3455

shalafi3455 Big Dawg

So in that case he would have had the same amount of rings if he was on the Dolphins those years?
    About the talent around him, he did have the best WR ever to play the game!
    Having a guy like that could have just maybe elevated his game and not the other way around! If anything it sure doesn't hurt to play with the best WR ever!

24. FlyingElvis

True about Rice. He's easily the best WR ever. But Duper and Clayton were about the best tandem during the eighties. Were they so great or did Marino have something to do with it? Something to ponder...

But, correct me if I'm wrong. I always felt what kept Marino from getting a ring was that he never had the dominate D to get him on the field.

Too bad you couldn't combine the Phins O from that era with todays D. :eek:

25. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin Pro Bowler

Marino's QB rating was much higher than Elway's.
    Marino's the better QB...period.
    If Marino had Terrell Davis, Marino would've won multiple SBs too.

26. shalafi3455

shalafi3455 Big Dawg

that is true he never had a good D to stop the other team never mind get him back on the field! He would score and they D would give it right back!
    He also never had a running game to speak of for the most part so to me it's amazing the numbers he did put up when the D know he was going to throw it! It's like now with Ricky they know he is going to run so they put 8 in the box! I think Marino and Ricky would work well together and make a great play action tandum! Not to mention how Chambers would benifit!

I would love to see him in his prime on this team now! My god the sky would be the limit!

27. Regan21286

Regan21286 Wa Wa Wee Wa

Heck, if the Fins had a prime Marino the last two years instead of Fiedler, with Ricky and a solid D, they could go 16-0 and the Super Bowl.

28. lauderdale

lauderdale Well-Known Member

Without question I would take Marino.

Elway’s QB rating over his career was 79.9. :shakeno:
    Marino’s QB rating over his career was 86.4. :D

Elway had to have Sharpe, McCaffery, Smith, and Davis in their primes to win Super Bowls. Give Marino a 2000 yard rusher, one of the best TE’s ever, and an above average set of WR’s and Marino would have a number of rings.

I think John Elway is one of the most overrated players in NFL history. He was an above average QB but he is not in the same class as Marino, Montana, and Unitas.

29. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE NFL'S WINNINGEST TEAM

Marino almost always outplayed Elway head to head. He also outplayed him statistically on the field during his career statisically. The only reason people ask this question is because Elway was also great but has some rings. Marino was better. Period.

30. dolfan4good

dolfan4good Section 451 Row 10 Seats 14-15

Marino, without a question. Just needed more talent around him...

31. SOCAL13

SOCAL13 The Real Deal

Dan The Man!!! no doubt(fin fan stuck n pasadena)socal

32. AZPHINFAN75

AZPHINFAN75 BENNY MALONE

Even with our OL from last year Marino would have done well. His quick release made O-linemen look better than they were sometimes.

Dan may not have a ring like Elway(1 of the best all time QB's), but he was still a little better QB in all areas except running.

33. FinSinceBirth

FinSinceBirth If you aren't a gator, you're gator bait

Are u kidding me? marino is prime would beat elway anyday. sadly i didn't see marino in his prim(born during the downsdide years) :cry: but my brother did and said marino was a machine. i'll take his word for it and pick marino

34. WharfRat

WharfRat A True Fan

Marino had more than his share of come-from-behind wins too...

Elway had more talent surrounding him, yet never attained anything CLOSE to the passing records Dan achieved.
    Dan was THE best pure passer football has ever seen, hands down... as far as all around QB... I doubt there would be a clear-cut winner there. Probably a tie between Marino, Elway, Montana, and Young.

35. DeDolfan

DeDolfan A True Fan

remember that one play in the 4th qtr against the colts ly where Ricky was supposed to help Smith block freeney? freeneyt was arou8nd smith so fast and blindsided griese b4 Ricky could even get over in time. Even a quick release wouldn't have helped that. That one p[lay may very well have cost us that game and with that one play may have cost us the playoffs and "ultimately the SB"!! :D

36. FinSinceBirth

yea the ol was s*** last year, and not suited for a pocket passer like Griese. i think behind a line like that even the great Marino would have trouble

37. AZPHINFAN75

AZPHINFAN75 BENNY MALONE

Thats not true, I saw Marino get rushed like that several times against the best defense ever(1985 Chicago Bears) and he seem do do pretty damn good
    in that game. Marino had a few good OL's in his time but they werent the only reason he always had the fewest sacks on him. He rarely held the ball as long as Griese did in that game. So you are just flat out Wrong. :D

38. FinSinceBirth

ok sorry, only 14 never got to see games like that, so i don't know how well he was in his prime. maybe ur right maybe he could have played well w/ a line like that in his prime. imo however he couldn't in the last couple of years. correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he take more of a beating than usual for him in his last years as a dolphin? :confused:

39. baracuda

baracuda Well-Known Member

Wrong!!!!

Joe Montana every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

It's the rings boys!!! Montana won every significant game he played in.

40. AZPHINFAN75

AZPHINFAN75 BENNY MALONE

Yes he did, the oline and the weren't as good and of course age was catching up to him. You cant forget Elway had arguably the best Oline in dever for the last 5 years of his career. His OL was always one of the bestin the league. Elway had a much better team aroun him at the end of his career than Dan.

41. baracuda

Just look at Montana's Super Bowl stats. 4 games and ZERO, I repeat ZERO interceptions. Nobody will repeat that...EVER!!!

42. AZPHINFAN75

AZPHINFAN75 BENNY MALONE

Last time I checked the 49ers won those SB's he played in not the Montana's. :D And he did lose a playoff game with the chiefs to the Dolphins and Marino. :tongue:

43. JimsFins4

JimsFins4 Starter

Danny... Hands down. But consider this... Marino, Elway, Montana and Unitas are considered the Quarterbacks of the Century. All three of the QB's have said that Marino was the man.

44. baracuda

Yeah, and what was Marino's last game? 62-7 against the Jags?

Don't give me that late career bad game crap. Montana at his best would beat ANYONE.

Look at it this way - Montana met Marino in SB 19. Who won that game...easily? If Marino was so good, in his BEST year, then why did Montana and the Niners totally dominate Marino and the Dolphins in that game?

Remember back in '84 when all Dolphins fans were so convinced that no one could beat the Dolphins (including me) that the Super Bowl was a foregone conclusion. Meanwhile, the Niners were quietly 15-1 and went about their business picking apart the Dolphins all over the place.

Montana beat Marino head to head in their primes. Enough said.

45. KillerDolphins

KillerDolphins Starter

Hands down in there prime id go with Elway. Marino was the better passer but the better ovr QB was Elway with his mobility and his arm to spread the field and riffle a bomb to whom ever. Elway only had talent aroun him his last 2 years and thats y he did win 2 superbowls. But if you look back at the years he lost in the superbowl there was not much talent except for #7 himself. If marino was the better qb he would have gotten back to the superbowl if he was truly the better qb over elway. I live here in denver and watched both qb's in their prime. I loved every moment of it and cant wait to go to Canton later on this year and watch elway be inducted in the the Hall of Fame.

46. AZPHINFAN75

AZPHINFAN75 BENNY MALONE

Marino wasn't playing defense that day last time i checked and neither was Montana. Marino was young and still had a pretty good game Montanna had already been to a Super Bowl and so he had more experience in those situations. Montana also had the first back to go over 1000 yards rec/rush. Miami had a average defense that year and an average running game and i believe SF had a stellar defense that year. If marino would have been playing the Dolphins "D" that day he would tore them apart as well.

47. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

Marino

48. PSurtain23

PSurtain23 Active Member

As much as i like marino and i am a dolphins fan i would have to say elway on this one. And for one reason, elway wins a superbowl!

49. juniorseau55

juniorseau55 The Finheaven Intimidator

You guys will find anything to make marino better than anyone else. Marino isn't god ok.

50. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

With that attitude, you are never going into heaven.

Remember the three P's.

Praise marino

Pray to Marino

Pay Marino homage.