Marino/Tannehill Comparison: First 6 starts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DzakkH13, Oct 14, 2012.

1. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

Just for fun since the Dolphins got the 'W' today and we have a week off, I thought I'd post the first 6 starts of the legend and the rookie:

Dan the Man: 101 comp. - 181 att. (55.8%) , 1318 yards (7.28 yards per attempt), 12 TDs, 4 INTs, 8 sacks taken, 4-2 record, 91.8 QB Rating
    Tannehill: 118 comp. - 198 att.
    (59.6%), 1454 yards (7.34 yards per attempt), 4 TDs, 6 INTs, 11 sacks taken, 3-3 record, 76.5 QB Rating

I think Tannehill is the real deal and he may be the Franchise QB we have been looking for since #13 retired.
    Today was a great showcase of his skill set as he faces a tough Rams defense and was able to move the ball with NO running game at all.
    As a side note, Marino put up some crazy numbers as a rookie back in the day when you could practically mug a WR down the field.

Go Phins! Bring on the Jest!

2. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Dan Marino was the ****ing man from day ****ing one.

3. spiral

spiral Starter

careful with this...

4. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

The only thing I get out of that comparison is further reinforcement that Dan Marino, his first two years in the league, was a prodigy and probably the best football player that has ever suited up.

5. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

You sir, are a intelligent human being.

6. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

Dan had "IT" from the very first time he stepped on the field in the regular season against the Raiders.

Tannehill is truly developing nicely. Two weeks in a row without a turnover is a good sign. The next step in the evolution of Tannehill becoming a great QB imo is to guide Miami from come-from-behind last minute victory. Along with being able to guide the offense in running out the clock when having the lead at the end of the game and the other team within 7 or less. The past two games Miami has relied on the defense to stop the other team from scoring, which they have.

7. DzakkH13

I am really high on Tannehill. What I have seen from him so far has been very encouraging.

Tannehill just keeps getting better and his rating from week 1 has increased tremendously. Here is his QB rating from week 1 to week 6 in order: 39.0, 91.0, 50.2, 86.5, 92.3, 112.0.

8. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Way to early for this

9. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

This

10. DzakkH13

In no way am I insinuating Tannehill will be on Marino's level.

They have very different styles of play, but it's our bye week and it's nice to have two weeks to sit on a W and talk about stuff like this.

11. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

Tannehill will never touch Marino. I just hope he's lucky enough to win some Super Bowls.

12. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Tannehill is not on Marino's level as a rookie but few are. I would say just on how they played not how they are that the only recent rookies that played on a MArino like level as a rookie have been Matt Ryan and now Robert Griffin. Oh and I almost forgot Ben rothlisberger

13. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

Brees, Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Eli, Farve… we all thought it wouldn't happen, but records are made to be broken.

Never say never.

14. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

15. crashfan

crashfan Super Donator Super Donator Donator

Your point that in Marino's day w/rs could be mugged is extremely significant and needs to be recognized by all of the later qbs who are breaking Marino's records. I love Tanny and think he will be our qb for years to come but think it is too early to mention him in the same breathe as Marino at this stage.

16. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

Who's talking about records? None of those guys are as skilled as Marino. They've also benefited from rule changes since he retired.

17. AtticusFinz

AtticusFinz pu55yFartManufacturer

Marino was the greatest pure passer ever to play the game. There will never be another..

That being said he took over a team that had future hall of famers at the WR, and OL position, a legend for a coach.
    Do you think marino would have the same success if he were a rookie playing for the 2012 team?
    I think Tannehill is our franchise. I hope he does what Marino couldn't do and brings the Lombardi trophy back to Miami

18. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

Dan's the greatest that's not up for debate.

Some things about Tannehill though:

Dan was taking over the defending AFC champions, Ryan is taking over a team who's fans weekly battle cry last season was Suck for Luck.
    Tannehill played much better than 4TD/6INT. Half of the pics came in the first game. He's leading TD drives but I don't know, when they score a lot of times it happens to be on the ground.
    I really don't remember the games being this much fun since Marino. They aren't winning or competing becuase the QB is just avoiding mistakes, the running game is going to crap lately and Tannehill is a big part of why they are winning.