Marino's thoughts on Tannehill as the starter.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino's thoughts on Tannehill as the starter..

Ugh, can't watch the video from work. Is there a transcript?

Marino's thoughts on Tannehill as the starter...why not. Give him a chance to show you what he can do.

I found his comment about changes since he retired interesting, where he says the rule changes have made it easier to throw the football. Agreed - robbed him of many QB records.

Ugh, can't watch the video from work. Is there a transcript?

He agrees that it is best to give Tannehill a look this year, although he thinks Garrard would have won the starting job had he not gotten injured. He thinks the QB competition between Tannehill and Moore was legit and that Tannehill won it fairly and that he trusts what Philbins decisions. He also says he hasn't really spoken to any of the rookie quarterbacks this year.

Coslov: Dan Marino hall of famer. When you look at what's gone on with Miami and Phil (Simms) earlier today said that every QB competition is predetermined. Do you think it was in Miami?

Marino: Uh, you know, I don't think so. I mean I agree with a lot of things Phil (Simms) says but you know I think there was a competition there. I think David Garrard might of got the starting job if he didn't get hurt. I look at what Joe Philbin is gonna do with putting young Ryan Tannehill in there and kind of agree with it, you know put him in there and see how it goes and if it doesn't you always have two veteran guys, you know in David Garrard and Matt Moore who can come in and won games in the NFL, so this is going to be the guy who's going to be your future so might as well do it right now they're kind of in a rebuilding stage with a new coach and new coordinator so, I can see it.

Coslov: 17 starting QBs since you retired after the '99 season.

Marino: Really? (while kind of laughing )

Coslov: Do you speak to any of the young quarterbacks who are coming in and being the starting quarterback in Miami?

Marino: Uh, I have not spoken to them as of yet. I intend on going over and seeing the guys here shortly but I haven't been to camp yet.

Coslov: Do you think there's just that much more pressure on them and would you say to them 'look just relax' alleviate that pressure, I'm not here, no one is asking you to be me?

Marino: (laughing a little) You know what, it's been a while since I've been playing. I'm not so sure that those guys are concerned about me right now, you know what I mean, but I would say if uh, you know I was talking to a young quarterback who's going to be in a situation getting his first start you know is be as positive as you can be, you know earn the respect of your veterans by working hard, and working as hard as you can in the film studies, on the practice field, doing extra work because that's what veteran players would want to see in a young quarterback or young player at any position. The other thing is don't get down on yourself because no matter what happens you're the guy that's going to be the future of the team, so there may be some ups and downs early in the season just uh, be as positive as you can.

After that Coslov asked him what changed the most in the NFL from '83 to '99 and then from '99 to now. What I wrote was the part about Tannehill that I think most people would care about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hear me out, I love Dan like every other fan here does but..... Marino said when asked that he's made no contact with tannehill. It seems like Marino distances himself ffrom the team. It's been reported that aikman has reached out to tannehill Bob griese is always around the facility helping anyway he can. My question is why not Marino? Marino IMO could be a great mentor and asset to Ryan tannehill

Hear me out, I love Dan like every other fan here does but..... Marino said when asked that he's made no contact with tannehill. It seems like Marino distances himself ffrom the team. It's been reported that aikman has reached out to tannehill Bob griese is always around the facility helping anyway he can. My question is why not Marino? Marino IMO could be a great mentor and asset to Ryan tannehill

Some guys just aren't interested in being a mentor. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marino is one of those types. Or, maybe he's waiting to see how cements themselves as the QB of the future before he builds a relationship.

Marino used to be one of the most active former QBs with his former team, but since the tri-fecta came into town, and Ross took over the team, there has been a distance beween him and the Dolphins. I thinks Parcells did something to disrespect Marino (as only Billyboy can do), drove him away from being part of the organization, and to this point Ross or Ireland has done nothing to repair it.

Marino used to be one of the most active former QBs with his former team, but since the tri-fecta came into town, and Ross took over the team, there has been a distance beween him and the Dolphins. I thinks Parcells did something to disrespect Marino (as only Billyboy can do), drove him away from being part of the organization, and to this point Ross or Ireland has done nothing to repair it.
Not sure I agree with that. To me it started way back when took a position with the fins then quit the next day. Dan reached out to Ben when he was a rookie and second year player. Probably because Danny's from Pitt

I think Parcells might still be a bit bitter about how Marino embarrassed his Patriots back in the season opener in '94. He did to the Patriots what Brady did to us last season in the opener. :lol:

I agree with 72 silky. Things went down hill with marino and the fins when he quit the front office job he had for a day.

Also i think Griese has been the most active former Qb with the team.

Marino means more to the team than Ross ever will.

Back
Top Bottom