Marino's thoughts on Tannehill as the starter..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Danny68, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

2. Penthos

Penthos Am I on speaker phone?

Ugh, can't watch the video from work. Is there a transcript?

3. DownUnderFin

DownUnderFin Out of towner Finheaven VIP Donator

Marino's thoughts on Tannehill as the starter...why not. Give him a chance to show you what he can do.

I found his comment about changes since he retired interesting, where he says the rule changes have made it easier to throw the football. Agreed - robbed him of many QB records.

4. jennnchuck

jennnchuck Member

i agree lets give him a chance and see how he does

5. Bleed

Bleed Well-Known Member

He agrees that it is best to give Tannehill a look this year, although he thinks Garrard would have won the starting job had he not gotten injured. He thinks the QB competition between Tannehill and Moore was legit and that Tannehill won it fairly and that he trusts what Philbins decisions. He also says he hasn't really spoken to any of the rookie quarterbacks this year.

6. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Coslov: Dan Marino hall of famer. When you look at what's gone on with Miami and Phil (Simms) earlier today said that every QB competition is predetermined. Do you think it was in Miami?

Marino: Uh, you know, I don't think so. I mean I agree with a lot of things Phil (Simms) says but you know I think there was a competition there. I think David Garrard might of got the starting job if he didn't get hurt. I look at what Joe Philbin is gonna do with putting young Ryan Tannehill in there and kind of agree with it, you know put him in there and see how it goes and if it doesn't you always have two veteran guys, you know in David Garrard and Matt Moore who can come in and won games in the NFL, so this is going to be the guy who's going to be your future so might as well do it right now they're kind of in a rebuilding stage with a new coach and new coordinator so, I can see it.

Coslov: 17 starting QBs since you retired after the '99 season.

Marino: Really? (while kind of laughing )

Coslov: Do you speak to any of the young quarterbacks who are coming in and being the starting quarterback in Miami?

Marino: Uh, I have not spoken to them as of yet. I intend on going over and seeing the guys here shortly but I haven't been to camp yet.

Coslov: Do you think there's just that much more pressure on them and would you say to them 'look just relax' alleviate that pressure, I'm not here, no one is asking you to be me?

Marino: (laughing a little) You know what, it's been a while since I've been playing. I'm not so sure that those guys are concerned about me right now, you know what I mean, but I would say if uh, you know I was talking to a young quarterback who's going to be in a situation getting his first start you know is be as positive as you can be, you know earn the respect of your veterans by working hard, and working as hard as you can in the film studies, on the practice field, doing extra work because that's what veteran players would want to see in a young quarterback or young player at any position. The other thing is don't get down on yourself because no matter what happens you're the guy that's going to be the future of the team, so there may be some ups and downs early in the season just uh, be as positive as you can.

After that Coslov asked him what changed the most in the NFL from '83 to '99 and then from '99 to now. What I wrote was the part about Tannehill that I think most people would care about.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
  7. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

Hear me out, I love Dan like every other fan here does but..... Marino said when asked that he's made no contact with tannehill. It seems like Marino distances himself ffrom the team. It's been reported that aikman has reached out to tannehill Bob griese is always around the facility helping anyway he can. My question is why not Marino? Marino IMO could be a great mentor and asset to Ryan tannehill

8. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

Some guys just aren't interested in being a mentor. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marino is one of those types. Or, maybe he's waiting to see how cements themselves as the QB of the future before he builds a relationship.

9. er22

er22 FinHeaven VIP Donator

10. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Marino used to be one of the most active former QBs with his former team, but since the tri-fecta came into town, and Ross took over the team, there has been a distance beween him and the Dolphins. I thinks Parcells did something to disrespect Marino (as only Billyboy can do), drove him away from being part of the organization, and to this point Ross or Ireland has done nothing to repair it.

11. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

I can only imagine how many yards Dan would throw for in todays NFL

12. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree with that. To me it started way back when took a position with the fins then quit the next day. Dan reached out to Ben when he was a rookie and second year player. Probably because Danny's from Pitt

13. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

I think Parcells might still be a bit bitter about how Marino embarrassed his Patriots back in the season opener in '94. He did to the Patriots what Brady did to us last season in the opener. :lol:

14. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

I agree with 72 silky. Things went down hill with marino and the fins when he quit the front office job he had for a day.

Also i think Griese has been the most active former Qb with the team.

15. MAYHEM

MAYHEM Like me

Marino means more to the team than Ross ever will.

16. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

You'd be surprise what a Super Bowl ring can do to change people's perception of those they don't like.

17. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

I know we all appreciate Griese for the great, championship-winning QB he was for us, but still IMO, if there never was a Marino (and thank heavens there was), Bob would currently be held in the same awe-inspiring, legendary iconic esteem which Dan(deservedly) is. The fact that he's such a homer is even more reason to appreciate him.

18. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

i was hoping for marino's specific thoughts on tannehill the player. oh well.

19. psfign

psfign A True Fan

why is Marino so distant from the franchise? he said in the video he hasnt spoken to any of them yet. It disappoints me that he is so seemingly selfish compared to Elway for example. It's like Marino wishes he had nothing to do with the phins.

20. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Marino loves the Dolphins but he makes it no secret he is a Steelers' fan. I think some people on this site expect a little too much from the guy, they want Dan to be involved/connected with the Dolphins like Elway is with the Broncos. There are more diehard fans on this board than Marino is for the Dolphins. Cold truth for some. Kind of like telling some of you that there is no Santa.

21. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Griese is around the team because of his job working TV and radio, he's not just hang out at the facility.

22. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Marino works for HBO and CBS I thought?

23. gregorygrant83

Yes but Griese does local coverage of the Phins. It's different when you're the local broadcaster. You don't see Phil Simms spending a lot of time with Eli. You never hear of Steve Young spending a lot of time with Alex Smith.

24. gregorygrant83

Also if you're going to be taken serious as a national media personality you can't have strong ties to one team. I remember Tom Jackson saying it took a long time for Al Davis to let him in the Raiders facility because he worried Jackson would be spying for the Broncos.

25. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

He is always involved with all the '72 championship events, dolphins charity functions, anytime a dolphin is honored , he is there. He is always lurking somewhere when the dolphins are involved. Here is griese's thoughts on ryan

26. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Steve Young is not allowed near a football field for fear of another concussion...just saying.

27. psfign

psfign A True Fan

sorry, i asked a duplicate Q before i read the thread :crazy:

28. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

I love and have all the respect for Mr Marino... but come on.. he's nothing but a yes man in todays world.. I guess he is trying to put a positive spin on everything and I guess its to not piss anyone off.. but if you all remember, Dan expressed total confidence in Chad Henne..

I think it would be nice if he showed some balls and told the media and us fans exactly what he thought!!

29. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

You mean like tell us the truth?

[video=youtube;UXoNE14U_zM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=UXoNE14U_zM[/video]

30. Statler Waldorf

Statler Waldorf Bench Warmer

*Sigh* We miss you Danny

31. czonk39

czonk39 Member

What! no santa!

32. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Jeff Darlington has hinted that Marino doesn't like Steve Ross.