Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Louis(Jerry), Jerry(Garner, Yeatman)........

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mbhcu98, Apr 11, 2013.

1. mbhcu98

mbhcu98 Well-Known Member

..... Next seasons oline depends on the shape of John Jerry. If he is in decent shape, do we need to draft a RT? I think if we believe Philbin is as good a coach as some think he is, I think it safe to assume he can get the most out of Jerry. If not, then when do questions about Philbin start to get asked? If Jerry is in shape, he can be a legit RT, for he doesn't have the ideal athleticism to play guard. The question I have is this, If Jerry is in shape, do we need to trade up for 1 of the 3 top LTs in this draft? I don't think we should trade up.

2. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

John Jerry has no business at RT. Not even an option. Garner is ahead of him anyways as a RT.

OT will be solved in two weeks. The candidate is not on the roster right now.

3. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

**** yes we need a RT....Garner showed last year that his is not capable. I thought he would be. He failed.

4. j0hnny63

j0hnny63 bon jon bovi

Jerry's behind both Garner and Yeatman as a potential RT currently on the roster.

5. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

I'm pulling for Armstead in the 2nd.

6. mbhcu98

Where will he play then? If he plays and why does "he have no business at RT"? He isn't athletic enough to play guard in our ZBS(pulling isn't a strong suit), why not RT? If he is in shape, he would make a good RT. At 6' 5", 350+ lbs, he has the size for it and in our system, it's a better suited position for him. I'm interested to know why you feel he "has no business at RT".

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

And agreed. The oline will be finalized in a couple weeks with, hopefully, a 3rd, 4th or 5th round draft pick(s).

7. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Jerry is a RG, is athletic, and if he comes in around 320 will have a good year. IMO, he does not have the footwork to be a RT, which we have seen.

8. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

So your assessment he is not athletic enough to play guard so you want him at tackle? Huh?

I would keep for a backup at guard and tackle in a pinch, but not a day one starter. Protect the QB folks without neglecting the position or being cheap.

9. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Ireland said Louis was brought in for depth, Jerry blew it at RG lat year, and Martin is still a ? - This leaves our picks up in the air. Does the FO like one of the elite level OGs and hope for the best at RT? Do they draft LT and keep the status quo on the right. Do they draft an OG in the first and Armstead in the 2nd?

Lots of questions but luckily lots of draft picks too with lots of good to great prospects.

10. Dolphins91

Dolphins91 Well-Known Member

I know it would be unpopular but I would love to draft Jonathan Cooper at 12 and then sign Eric Winston after the draft.

J.Martin - Incognito - Pouncey - Cooper - Winston.

You can use the rest of the picks on everything else. but as of right now our biggest hole is the right side of our line. This fixes that.

11. yolli71

yolli71 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

If Jerry is in shape (and I know that's a big "if"), then I don't see why he couldn't be tried at RT. From what I recall, he filled in capably for Long at LT 2 years ago, so I don't know why he couldn't handle RT. If there's anyone who has no business playing any T position, it's Nate Garner. He wasn't very good at RT last year and he's proven to us that he cannot handle good pash rushers whatsoever...that Eagles game from 2 years ago was an absolute embarrassment. He should play G and 3rd string/emergency T...and that's it.

12. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

I agree with you on Cooper. You could swap cog and cooper about as cog prefers RG. The idea of having Martin, Cooper & Pouncey playing for fins the next 6-8 years is very appealing

13. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

im pretty sure Louis will become the RG if we dont draft one.

I used to be on the bandwagon of drafting an OT high, but now im realizing that there are several good guys in the 2nd round like Armstead, Pugh, Long who can be RTs. Rest assured a few OTs will be drafted, to give competition to Martin

14. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

We will draft a LT and keep Martin at RT.

15. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I agree. Especially the thought of having those 3 blocking on 3rd and 4th and short. Extending drives and punching it in for TDs instead of FGs is what takes a 7 win team to a 9+ win team.

16. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

Jerry subbed for Jake at LT and was better than Martin. To say Jerry CAN'T play RT is simply not true. Jerry has one enemy, and that is himself. I totally disagree with those saying he CAN'T play RT. Now I will say this, it really doesn't matter if he can or not, we still need another tackle. What if Martin doesn't get a lot better at LT, or what if we have an injury?? We have to have a tackle in the first 3 rounds. I personally think we trade up to get Lane, if he is still there at 7 or 8.

17. mbhcu98

Exactly. In a ZBS guards do a lot of pulling and a lot of switching blocks. Tackles not so much. They move in space and have room to move around. Guards need good feet and need to able to turn, pull and hit the hole quickly. You need some athleticism to do that.

18. Imperium

Imperium FinHeaven VIP

My concern is just about every OL prediction has Martin starting at either LT/RT. He will probably show at least some improvement, but what if he doesn’t? He could very well be the weak link.

19. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Are you kidding? Questions about Philbin as a coach because he can't "get the most" out of Jerry? Maybe Jerry is fat and lazy or maybe he has issues but he has shown up out of shape routinely. Either way, many great coaches including Don Shula would cut players that didn't put in effort after being given opportunities. I think that maybe you have too high an opinion of Jerry and I hope that you prove me wrong.

20. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

Jerry actually has good feet to pass protect at RT .. i'm not saying he should be the starter, but to say he has "no business as RT" is just not right

21. mbhcu98

And, I think you too low an opinion of Jerry. Jerrys only problem is being in shape and it is a coaches job to get the most out of his players. Jerry is a talented lineman stunted by his weight. This isn't something you can immediately start pointing the finger at Philbin but, if things go bad for this team AND Jerry stinks because of his weight, it's just something one can then point too and say, 'maybe Philbin doesn't get the best out of his players'. Jerry may well be a fat, lazy bastard but, there have been other fat, lazy bastards in the NFL and some coach motivated him to be in shape for the team.

22. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

John Jerry was one of the most pleasant surprises last season. He knows that if he shows up like he did last training camp, way overweight and in poor condition, then he is gone and Louis is our new RG. I'm actually expecting Jerry to respond to the challenge and take care of himself better.

23. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

so obviously, your premise is to forget about LT cus you think Martin is penciled in greatness. I dont and you shouldnt either. And I dont agree that Ireland is comfortable with Martin at LT whatever he says in public cus in his opposite statement they clearly are looking ro revamp the OL. That starts with one of these LT's IMO. Jonathan Cooper staying at 12.

You need 5 OL. more than any other grouping on the field. You cant have any weaknesses there or you will never make it to the big dance.

24. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

i just read a yahoo mock draft this morning, and it had us taking Jonathan Cooper at 12. It said DJ Fluker would go at 21. If Fluker falls to 21, we could easily trade both 2nds to move up and get him. Imagine that: Martin, Cooper, Pouncey, Cogs, Fluker.

25. mbhcu98

I mean, you can read into whatever and whoever you want to but, you have no idea what Ireland is thinking, neither do I or you. This is all a guessing game at this point so, pointing out how comfortable Ireland may or not be, is a moot point. Irrelevant. Why bring it up? And lol at the Martin and greatness comment. That one was funny. I simply think he has earned the right to one of the Tackle positions on this team. I'm of the belief that scoring TDs is more of a need than protection. You don't win games by having the best protected QB in the game. You win by scoring TDs and I'd rather put the 1st round pick to that goal instead of protecting the QB. And Cooper isn't one of the 3 LTs in this draft. He plays guard.

Did GB win the SB with an outstanding oline a few years ago? There are different ways to win. Don't be blinded by the belief there is only one way to win. With shorter drops and quicker passes, the QB doesn't have to protected as much as when a QB is taking 7 foot drops. I want to get RT the players to be able to get that ball out as fast as possibly can. Since those players take longer to form and mold into great players, I take them(WRs, TEs, DEs) this year and let them develop. There is a much better chance in finding oline in later than there is a chance in finding WRs, TEs, DEs later. FACT!