Matching Up with the Edelman's of the NFL World | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matching Up with the Edelman's of the NFL World

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
With draft day now finally here, I keep coming back to how Miami is going to match-up with New England? Specifically, how will the team defend the Julian Edelman types? Currently, the team has no one on the roster who can match Edelman's speed and elusiveness.

The worst part about last season for me was watching how easily New England beat Miami. Tom Brady hardly broke a sweet and didn't need to do much. Just hand the ball off or throw short pass to speedy receivers who made yards after the catch. It was simply too easy. I'd like to see the Dolphins force New England to make some tough throws down the field in order to beat them.

Their success in the slot is a huge staple of the Patriots offense. And that leads me to players like Jabrill Peppers, Adoree Jackson, Desmond King and maybe Corn Elder. Miami needs someone athletic and physical to limit that part of New England's game. If you can keep those three yard passes to three yard gains, then New England will have to find another way to beat you. It doesn't have to be in the first round, but getting a player of that caliber should be an emphasis.

It all has to do with defensive scheme, not having a defender for matchup purposes. NE's staple isn't the slot WR, it's their ability and game planning to force you out of your comfort zone as a defense. They'll just as easily formation your slot CB off the field by bringing out 21 or 22 personnel if that is your counter for them.

I am still holding hope Miami is able to get Corn Elder in the later rounds. Either way, I agree with you, if Miami wants to overtake NE, they need to get that type of player that can hold an Edelman to few touches, and just as few yards after a catch. :(

If they would play up on him with bump and run and dare Brady to throw longer than 15 yards that is a good start I think. I don't get why teams give him a big cushion. messing up the timing a big key

It all has to do with defensive scheme, not having a defender for matchup purposes. NE's staple isn't the slot WR, it's their ability and game planning to force you out of your comfort zone as a defense. They'll just as easily formation your slot CB off the field by bringing out 21 or 22 personnel if that is your counter for them.

NE has one of the most complex offensive schemes in the NFL in that they have more sets and can do more things than most other teams, while we run the 11 personnel formation more than most teams.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/offensive-packages/

I often see threads about the way to beat Brady is to get to him. Well that is easier said then done when his lineman are always solid, AND he gets the ball out in 2 seconds.

So, you draft defensive lineman hoping that they get to Brady. You draft DB's hoping that they can cover and tackle Edelman and whomever else Bellicheat puts out there. Both are great strategies, but the Pats still win. The Pats still win because as mentioned above, Bellicheat is a scheme genius on offense, he can attack your weakness and make it look easy.

So my conclusion is this, the way you beat the Pats is to:

1) Out think Bellicheat - you have to have a smart coach - we have that now, didn't work last year because Gase is a young pup. I feel that he can and will be the guy.

2) SCORE. When you score, you force the Pats to pass, if you know Brady is going to pass, you can, like the NY Giants did....go after him. If Brady has the option to pass or run - you will not beat the Patriots, period. It's not even a question. So all this talk about DB's, slot cover guys, DE's, Suh, Phillips, etc....really doesn't mean much to me anymore. We have to get a lead on the Pats, force him to pass, then go after him, and beat him into the turf.

The Falcons almost pulled it off....not sure what happened after 28-3 - maybe their team was young/inexperienced - maybe they stopped running the ball (yes they did stop running the ball)....but once you are up on the Pats, you have to rough Brady up.

The offensive game has changed so much defenses do need different personnel to adapt. Nicole corners are a need. Lb/S that can cover not one but two good TEs some teams are carrying is a need. This is why I'm driving the Peppers train. If you have versatile and athletic players coupled with coaches who can use them right then you can stop the high powered offenses.

Beating Brady starts with the Dolphins offense putting up points and maintaining drives. Force Brady to play a perfect game just to keep it close instead of letting Brady get a two score lead. One of these games, Tannehill will have to out-duel Brady on the stat sheet and the scoreboard even when the defense is getting roasted. The torch will have to pass someday.

The only way to beat New England is to keep Brady on the sidelines
but when you have an offense that is one of the worst in sustaining drives,
31st in total first downs is downright embarassing 31st in converting third downs is also embarrassing
Being 27th in time of possession with these playmakers is comical.
With the above offense we will never beat Brady

Heck in the two games with New England they beat us in time of possession by 16 minutes
even 1-15 Cleveland beat us in time of possession by almost 8 minutes...let that sink in
The 6-9 Bengals beat us by 18 minutes in time of possession
The Titans beat us by 13.5 minutes..

This offense has to get it's proverbial SH$! together.. There's no excuse other than the two guard positions

Back
Top Bottom