Mathews Reads and Route Running | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mathews Reads and Route Running

Dr. Phin

Scout Team
Reaction score
I want to discuss some plays that stood out to me that all involved Mathews and blitzes.

1) First play of the game: Mathews in slot, sees blitz coming and actually points it out to Tannehill. Play is a run. If Tannehill would have passed it to Mathews, who was not covered, it would have been an easy pickup of 5-6 before the safety could come down.

2) 3:29 1st: Mathews in slot. Corner on blitz. Run play. Mathews does his route looking for hot read. Stayed with run.

3) 2:56 1st: Mathews in slot. Corner on blitz. Mathews points it out. Does his route looking for hot route, but Tannehill doesn't throw it. Continues to do an out after, which Tannehill then throws to him but outside. Incomplete. To me it looks like Mathews was in position sitting down, so that he didn't continue the route into the area of the defender on Hartline. But the throw from Tannehill makes it look like he wanted Mathews to continue his route.

4) 13:54 2nd: Mathews in slot. Corner blitz. Mathews points it out. Run play and Tannehill doesn't go to him.

5) 13: 18 2nd: Mathews is in the slot and uncovered. LB is coming out on zone blitz to cover. Tannehill sees it and throws the hot route to Mathews, but Mathews just does his out route and the pass is incomplete.

The last pass could have been a first down that would have kept the drive alive inside the 10. To me the last pass at first glance appears to be clearly Mathews fault, but if you look at all these plays together...I am wondering if Mathews had lost confidence in Tannehill's reads and just didn't look for the hot route and continued on the out because of miss for #3.

6) 13:13 2nd: Same setup as #5. The don't cover Mathews. This time the LB doesn't even bother coming to him, and just drops into zone. It would have been an easy first. Instead he goes to Thigpen on a check-down...we don't get a first....FG.

These two do not appear to be on the same page. Are there any experts here that can tell me who is at fault? If it was just a single case, I wouldn't worry about it...but this was clearly happening a lot and Carolina was taking advantage of the fact that we weren't doing anything.

If we would have taken advantage of this, we could have had some very easy pickups. Of course they would have stopped doing it after we burned them a couple of times, but instead they continued to do it because we were doing nothing about it.

I didn't know a discussion about the actual details of football would bring so many crickets...

One week Mathews catches 11 balls and the next he gets nearly zero targets. The offenses hit and miss, and can't get out of its own way on too many occasions.

What really irks me is good offenses dictate to the opponents defense. Our offense always "takes what the defenses give us."

Was tannehill running away from the blitzer side when he stuck with the run???

i saw the play where the lbs were in the a gap presnap showing blitz and dropped out and tannehill threw it hot and Mathews ran the out...looked to me on that play tannehill read it wrong when they dropped out but he also knew if they came someone would be free so that's a very quick decision...

still i I think Mathews ran it right on that play

From what I can gather, playing the slot role is far more difficult to learn and Gibson was doing very well until he got injured. In successive games, I have also seen Tannehill twice show visible angst with Matthews for running the wrong route. I would not go so far as you by saying that they are not on the same page, but clearly it's a work in progress and Matthews is still learning the role. You should also remember that Tannehill already has more established confidence in Hartline, although he had a relatively bad game last week.

The way Sherman spoke about Matthews, he wasn't practicing in the slot prior Gibson's injury, he's probably just learning the role on the fly which isn't an easy task...

Also Mathews left after the big hit by kuechly right and didn't return thus marlon Moore got run??? I think he left with concussion symptoms

Otherwise I bet during the half they would have made some adjustments to get mathews involved off the d looks

Was tannehill running away from the blitzer side when he stuck with the run???

i saw the play where the lbs were in the a gap presnap showing blitz and dropped out and tannehill threw it hot and Mathews ran the out...looked to me on that play tannehill read it wrong when they dropped out but he also knew if they came someone would be free so that's a very quick decision...

still i I think Mathews ran it right on that play

On the first play, the run was away from the pressure. so that would make sense.

The other plays though, it just seems to me that either Tannehill isn't making the right reads...

Also Mathews left after the big hit by kuechly right and didn't return thus marlon Moore got run??? I think he left with concussion symptoms

Otherwise I bet during the half they would have made some adjustments to get mathews involved off the d looks

I didn't see them doing the same blitz after Mathews left either. They seemed to do it only for a couple of series and then drop out of it.

Back
Top Bottom