Mathis vs Turner vs Colledge? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mathis vs Turner vs Colledge?

The same Lane Johnson who was busted for taking PED's and is now suspended for the first 4 games of next season and one strike away from a year long suspension? No thank you. I'd much rather have Jordan.
Yep. The same one. Surrounding your franchise QB isn't an instant success thing ... and neither is drafting an injured and undersized position change like Jordan. By the end of this year I am confident that Lane Johnson will have played more snaps through 2 NFL seasons than Jordan.

But that's not the point really. The point is that building around your franchise QB is important and not something you want to have to redo every 2 or 3 years. Let's get players we can have for the long haul who can grow with Tannehill.

I like Jordan. I'm not one of his naysayers. But when you have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and come away with only 3rd rounder Dallas Thomas for a woefully understocked offense ... that's not building around your QB. IMHO, Ireland missed the point there by putting all his eggs in FA's like Wallace, Keller, and Clabo; then neglecting the offense in the draft.

All fair points on not trading for Mathis, which was somewhat of a pipe dream of mine until we signed Colledge. At 32, his play could have dropped off some but, he did not miss any time last year, led the Philly OL in pass protect giving up only 2 sacks and few pressures.

However, my main reason for wanting him was for his run blocking, where he got an off the chats grade of +42. More importantly, when they ran middle left, it was 54 times for a 5.9 average. When they ran behind the LG, it was 52 times for an 8 yard average. This was much better than any of the Eagles OL who were all VG, and was not inflated. McCoy's long carries were 34 middle left, and 3o behind the LG, with Brown having one for 65.

Even with a drop off, he would still be light years over the best we have. Having a run game is what RT needs to slow down the pass rush, open play action, and make some first downs. He would have given that to us.

Over and done now, and we move on hoping for the best.

Mathis is 32. BIG difference.

32 or 35... I still dont pay that salary for him. The difference isn't all that big once they hit that wall. I still dont build with a 32 yr old.

Philbin and Staff work within their own players and abilities. Even when we bring in FA's, they immediately beef up the ranks with young kids. They use FA's to buy them time to teach rookies. They believe in coaching up talent.

I was a little upset when we drafted Landry this year, considering the sheer volume of holes on the OL. But when they did, I realized it was predictable considering how much importance WR has to this staff. They will draft WRs and DBs like most teams draft QBs. We will constantly see new competition at WR and DB to keep pace with the modern pass happy NFL. They will always turn over rocks in those areas looking for new talent.

I think people need to re-evaluate our "preparedness" for an injury such as Pouncey's. We turned over 4 starters on the OL and brought in new depth. With all due respect, if we had spent any more resources on the OL we would have created a talent debt at another position that would have perpetuated itself into each new draft.

From Philbin's mantra about building and teaching talent, I honestly believe Colledge is here as veteran DEPTH. I truly believe Brenner and Larsen are the only true considerations for starting C and Turner will be pushing for RG. Colledge provides insurance for LG, C and RG. He is not a real threat to start.

Consider this.... this year is very critical to Philbin and Tannehill's future. They will not complicate Tannehill's chemistry with a 3rd center (he has experience with Pouncey and Brenner) who will NOT be here after this year. Larsen has a strong potential future with this team. He and Brenner will be the key backups to G and C moving forward. And one of them might make Pouncey expendable or a leveraged asset when contract talks come up.

You do not depend on a stop gap as a long term starter. So, I immediately do not think Colledge is in the mix for starting C.

I think Larsen is our Week 1 C and Pouncey might be start getting worried about his job and spot on this team. Brenner becomes the Swiss Army Knife of the interior OL.

I predict Week 1 OL is Albert, Thomas, Larsen, Smith and James. In time, I think Turner becomes RG. And Pouncey will have a lot to prove.

If MIA won't pay Pouncey, someone will. His abilityto reach the edge will make it so.

32 or 35... I still dont pay that salary for him. The difference isn't all that big once they hit that wall. I still dont build with a 32 yr old.

Not building, just looking to win and give Tannehill his best chance to succeed. No matter, it's over with.

Not building, just looking to win and give Tannehill his best chance to succeed. No matter, it's over with.

We should have made the effort to sign Sign Jon Asammah as a free agent. His contract is not bad in any way. Could have had a starting guard for the money we spent on a rotational DT. Had the money to sign both just don't understand how you ignore starters.

We should have made the effort to sign Sign Jon Asammah as a free agent. His contract is not bad in any way. Could have had a starting guard for the money we spent on a rotational DT. Had the money to sign both just don't understand how you ignore starters.

Many debatable choices on the OL, which I believe came down to money but, don't know for a fact. Ireland made a mistake on not trading for Albert last year. We can only hope that Hickey has not done the same in his choices.

I'm far from an expert but, if the present and future of this franchise is dependent on Tannehill, which it does, I don't care much about overspending (to a degree) to give him his best shot to do so. IMO, the team has not done that as much as it should have.

Many debatable choices on the OL, which I believe came down to money but, don't know for a fact. Ireland made a mistake on not trading for Albert last year. We can only hope that Hickey has not done the same in his choices.

I'm far from an expert but, if the present and future of this franchise is dependent on Tannehill, which it does, I don't care much about overspending (to a degree) to give him his best shot to do so. IMO, the team has not done that as much as it should have.

Well when we keep focusing on third DE and third DT over starting olinemen we are always bound to fail.
We could have drafted a decent OL prospect last year but chose to give up a second round pick to draft a DE which was 4th in our rotation last year. We spend good money on another DT while decided to pick up perpetual backup G Shelly Smith.
I just don't get the strategy.

Well when we keep focusing on third DE and third DT over starting olinemen we are always bound to fail.
We could have drafted a decent OL prospect last year but chose to give up a second round pick to draft a DE which was 4th in our rotation last year. We spend good money on another DT while decided to pick up perpetual backup G Shelly Smith.

You also say it came down to money and signing a guy like Asamah would have had minimal impact on our salary cap.

I cannot blame the other signing at all, as we are still sitting wit around $16M to play with. IF we would have filled in more on the OL in FA, maybe we could have drafted a LB with a bit of a move up.

Oh well, it is what it is. I do not have Mathis, and we all have questions on the OL.

Did you see the stats on the Eagles running behind Mathis? Unreal.

I cannot blame the other signing at all, as we are still sitting wit around $16M to play with. IF we would have filled in more on the OL in FA, maybe we could have drafted a LB with a bit of a move up.

Oh well, it is what it is. I do not have Mathis, and we all have questions on the OL.

Did you see the stats on the Eagles running behind Mathis? Unreal.

We had like the same money last year to play with. That money is basically worthless in July. So we have three starting caliber DT's and maybe one OG gotta love that balance

If MIA won't pay Pouncey, someone will. His abilityto reach the edge will make it so.

I'm not saying he won't get paid. I simply think he has too much baggage with this staff and he's not a Philbin pick. Pouncey will not be a Phin next year, IMHO. But he will get paid.

Philbin and Staff work within their own players and abilities. Even when we bring in FA's, they immediately beef up the ranks with young kids. They use FA's to buy them time to teach rookies. They believe in coaching up talent.

I was a little upset when we drafted Landry this year, considering the sheer volume of holes on the OL. But when they did, I realized it was predictable considering how much importance WR has to this staff. They will draft WRs and DBs like most teams draft QBs. We will constantly see new competition at WR and DB to keep pace with the modern pass happy NFL. They will always turn over rocks in those areas looking for new talent.

I think people need to re-evaluate our "preparedness" for an injury such as Pouncey's. We turned over 4 starters on the OL and brought in new depth. With all due respect, if we had spent any more resources on the OL we would have created a talent debt at another position that would have perpetuated itself into each new draft.

From Philbin's mantra about building and teaching talent, I honestly believe Colledge is here as veteran DEPTH. I truly believe Brenner and Larsen are the only true considerations for starting C and Turner will be pushing for RG. Colledge provides insurance for LG, C and RG. He is not a real threat to start.

Consider this.... this year is very critical to Philbin and Tannehill's future. They will not complicate Tannehill's chemistry with a 3rd center (he has experience with Pouncey and Brenner) who will NOT be here after this year. Larsen has a strong potential future with this team. He and Brenner will be the key backups to G and C moving forward. And one of them might make Pouncey expendable or a leveraged asset when contract talks come up.

You do not depend on a stop gap as a long term starter. So, I immediately do not think Colledge is in the mix for starting C.

I think Larsen is our Week 1 C and Pouncey might be start getting worried about his job and spot on this team. Brenner becomes the Swiss Army Knife of the interior OL.

I predict Week 1 OL is Albert, Thomas, Larsen, Smith and James. In time, I think Turner becomes RG. And Pouncey will have a lot to prove.

I think Larsen is no longer a Phin. Nice prediction on a 7th round pick.:lol2:

Avoiding future cap hell by being cap responsible now most likely. BTW is Mathis a zone blocker?

Back
Top Bottom