Matt Burke Opinion

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ANMoore, Oct 8, 2017.

1. ANMoore

ANMoore Member

I don't post often, long time reader though. It seemed the majority of the board was not a fan of the Burke hire (myself included). But, w/ all things I like to give someone a chance to prove themself. It seemed like many people grew a hatred for our 4-3 scheme over the off season and weren't willing to even give Burke a chance, writing off our defense and claiming we would have to rely on our offense to make a run this season. Now I know we're only four games into his tenure, but this board is notorious for strong opionions in small sample sizes. So, what does everyone think about the job Burke has done this far? I was one of the many in favor of a scheme change and a splash of new personnel, but I am very impressed w/ our defense and the play calling this season. We are controlling the line of scrimmage and the linebacker play has been stellar IMO given our situation. Tank has been a blessing it seems in the secondary. Although I was pounding the table for Reuben Foster, I believe Charles Harris has what it takes to grow into a franchise DE.

2. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Unlike Joseph who ran the wide 9 full time almost, Burke seems to only be using it on obvious passing downs. He's tightened up the front 4 alignments on early downs from what I've noticed. He calls more blitzes as well, more than Joseph, that are well designed...Jones almost got a safety on a safety blitz, Alonso cause the fumble on an blitz, I saw a couple of blitzes up the middle from Timmons, Tankersley was in on a blitz and McCain had a few blitzes from the slot. It created a lot of pressure. Didn't work so well against Rivers in week one because Rivers is really good against the blitz but today they worked. They're also a lot more effective with Timmons in at linebacker than with Hull for obvious reasons.

I still see some communication issues in the secondary and I'd like to see us mix up our coverages on occasion to confuse the QB and maybe get a pick but overall Burke has been more aggressive than Joseph which I'm in favor of.

Avigatorx and trojanma like this.
  3. ozman

ozman Rookie

He’s doing a great job

4. Aquablood

Aquablood Well-Known Member

Not so fast. Defense keep us in the games so far, but against weak offense. Jury still out.

FinaticalOne, DrMultimedia and artdnj like this.
  5. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Lets see how we look against Atlanta. It will be a big test to see how far they have come as a unit.

El Calebra likes this.
  6. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

I'll believe we have a top notch defense when we play well vs. teams like Atlanta, New England etc.

Travis34 and artdnj like this.
  7. dolphinlifer

dolphinlifer Well-Known Member

jury is indeed still out, but it shows you that if you give unknown's a chance, they can produce. I'm much more impressed with him than Vance by his play calling alone, not throttled by it, but at least he's not vance and vance was the name.

8. ANMoore

ANMoore Member

I hear you on the "weak offense" thing, but really what I was looking for out of Burke was the ability to make adjustments. From game 1-4, I believe Burke has made appropriate adjustments (whether you believe HE made them or they were result of injury, the adjustment was made). For example, tank over maxwell; mauluga over Hull in base. Gase and Joseph always preached "continuity" and I like how Burke (particularly referring to the Timmons issue) isn't afraid to play his best players and sub out those who aren't getting the job done. I love the playing time from tank and mauluga and even subbing in Allen for his snaps, also believe that the DE rotation has been great

Travis34 and Aquablood like this.
  9. evo8904

evo8904 Gase + Cutler = Garbage Finheaven VIP

I was super critical of Burke but I think that he has adapted pretty well. The defense is definitely looking good considering how long they are on the field. My concern is when we play a real team like ATL or the Cheaters. Our defense will be on the field far too long. Our offense is completely horrible.

10. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I noticed some nicely drawn up blitz plays in the first few weeks, but I thought he called them at the wrong times...like on a 2nd down and short play. And it wasn't a run blitz. I thought he called a much better game today. It looked like he was going to be another Vance Joseph, but I'm not so sure now. He's dialing up his own plays, and I am keeping an open mind with him.

11. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

I liked the in house Burke hire to keep with continuity sprinkled with his own insight of how a defense should be played. I remember people wanting sexy Rexy as DC. Burke’s done a good job so far.

12. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I would not be so quick to praise him. We have played the Chargers, Jets and Titans, not what you would call the elite of the NFL. The defense has been better than I expected, but let's wait until we play Atlanta before we say we have a good D.

13. ANMoore

ANMoore Member

Seem to be forgetting we also held a HOF QB to 20 in a game we were dominated in TOP

Gsmack_42 and FinaticalOne like this.
  14. ANMoore

ANMoore Member

I hear you, though. Certainly not claiming Burke to be the next great coordinator, just wanted to see opinions from the board bc most had little to no faith in him.

15. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Things change quick in this league and especially with our beloved Fins. Gase is a quarterback whisperer and offensive Guru and now he's a bum. He is been a pleasant surprise as of today but it's a long season have any preconceived notions ling term. That being said today was a positive on D.

16. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

The D lacks talent in key areas but he is making it work. Props to Burke

17. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

Four weeks ago Charles Harris was a bust. Time and time again these boards forget the lesson that this game takes time.

18. DKphin

I do not agree that Rivers is a HOF QB JMHO

Adam Strange and Anvil35 like this.
  19. ANMoore

ANMoore Member

Good lord me neither. I'm talking Brees

Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  20. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

And in his first game Dion Jordan hit Matt Ryan's arm on a pass that ended Atlanta's drive and we ended up winning the game and everyone here was saying we had the next Jason Taylor.

When Harris passes Dion Jordan's 3 career sacks as a Dolphins I'll start taking notice.

21. DKphin

I'm sorry. I feel like a complete idiot. I forgot about Brees.:eek:

22. ANMoore

ANMoore Member

Don't even get me started on rivers. IMO he is the reason that franchise has never gone anywhere. Never been a fan of his game or ability to lead a team

23. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Burke hasn't screwed up enough to hate him. I still am not convinced he is going to be better than VJ, but its looking pretty good.

I still think the key to our beloved Phins winning consistently is a strong run game to compliment a stingy defense. We have the talent to run the ball, but when tats all we have on offense, teams will focus on it more. That is why a lot of phans were disappointed with the defense to start the season.

24. nando03

nando03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

So far... our D has looked much better than last year over the last couple of weeks. Especially at stopping the run. However, it looks like we are getting better as we are also getting some Vet's at our LB positions with Timmons and Maualuga. We've helped our secondary with Tank in there instead of Maxwell. I know people are saying, let's see how they look against Atlanta. Here is my one caution with saying that. Our Offense is soooooo terrible and can't hold the ball that no matter how good our Defense is, if they get gassed because they are constantly on the field against and really really good or great Atlanta offense, the outcome might not be what we are looking for. That's something to take into consideration. Perfect example against Brees and New Orleans in London. The D held Brees to 3 points in the first half. 2 TD's in the 2nd half with the 2nd of the two coming with less than 5 minutes left in the game. The Defense was done at that point. It could look the same against Atlanta. We might hold our own for a while until the D gets tired.

25. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

Weve seen weak offenses shred us in the past, so ill take the excellent defensive performances against them

Travis34 and tay0365 like this.
  26. dahlmarino

dahlmarino Hating The Jets With A Passion Since '84

Surprisingly, defense has been our strength so far this season. Especially since Maxwell got benched and Timmons came back. We're better against the rush, the coverage has tightened up....we're making it so that our offense only needs to score 24 points a game to consistently pull out the win. Now if only the offense would live up to billing...

27. ANMoore

ANMoore Member

Yup. The saints and Jets game both - the defense did more than enough to win the game. The offense isn't just laying eggs, they are getting off the field in a hurry. As a result we lose the TOP battle (second half especially)

28. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I'm surprised, I thought many if not most on the board were willing to give Burke a chance.

29. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Well, I'm just going to say this:

I think our defense has looked better this season when we've had Timmons, Hayes, Godchaux, Tankersley and Harris in the lineup...

... instead of Maxwell, Mario Williams, Fede, Phillips, Vigil and Butler.

Matt Burke gets props for getting guys in position to stop the opposing rushing attack, but he's working with much better personnel in the last 2 weeks than Vance Joseph had to work with for most of 2016.

30. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

So far so good. Next week is our first BIG challenge.

31. ANMoore

ANMoore Member

Don't you remember in the pre season when Harris looked flat, McMillan went out, reshad wasn't lighting everyone up, mauluga looked fat, and a few bad GIFs of Kiko were posted and everyone thought we would be lucky to average less than 30 a game? Many people claiming Burke was in over his head and the front office made a mistake bc we have a love for hiring Bengals cast offs.

32. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

The Defense has been the only present surprise on this team and if not for the defesne this team should be 0-4 right now. I know the first game we got lucky on a missed kicked but this D hasn't given up more than 20 points yet.

• 4th in PPG
    • 7th in total yards per game
    • 5th in rushing yards per game
    • 12th in passing yards per game

Soca casual likes this.
  33. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

We were awful last year. Top notch may be a bit much to ask in one year...

34. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

You might be right bro......

35. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

He’s clearly surprised at how quickly he’s acclimated himself as a DC. He didn’t seem to have that during the pre season. But since the regular season has started the adjustments in the run defense have paid off. His blitz schemes are well disguised and he’s getting major contributions from not 1 but 2 Rookie DT’s. He’s realized that Maxwell was not worth the aggravation and finally benched him in favor of an improving rookie in Tankersley, who has really developed. But to me it’s his in game adjustment capabilities that have made a huge difference to the defense, enough so, where you now have players openly praising him. Now I hope he finally cuts bait with Jordan Philips who’s been nothing but an enigma and unassuming player.

Finuk likes this.
  36. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

ATL is the most complete offense on the schedule to date. They can run and pass equally as well. Hold the dirty birds to 17 pts and then we'll talk.

37. Bowzer

Bowzer Member

I can't wait for McDonald to come back week 8. Nate Allen is holding the defence back. He's awful.

38. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

They have been great on closing running angles when plays turn outside. One play yesterday Henry tried to go outside when the middle collapsed and he was shut down. I have been seeing that all year so far. Last year he probably would have made that play. This defense is very physical and seems every player can lay some wood. Can't wait to get TJ back.

39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Done well. Got home with some zone blitzes yesterday.

Timmons has righted the ship at lb. been just what the doctor ordered.

BenchFiedler likes this.
  40. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

he was a monster yesterday