Matt Burke Opinion | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Burke Opinion

The D lacks talent in key areas but he is making it work. Props to Burke

Four weeks ago Charles Harris was a bust. Time and time again these boards forget the lesson that this game takes time.

Four weeks ago Charles Harris was a bust. Time and time again these boards forget the lesson that this game takes time.
And in his first game Dion Jordan hit Matt Ryan's arm on a pass that ended Atlanta's drive and we ended up winning the game and everyone here was saying we had the next Jason Taylor.

When Harris passes Dion Jordan's 3 career sacks as a Dolphins I'll start taking notice.

I'm sorry. I feel like a complete idiot. I forgot about Brees.:eek:

Don't even get me started on rivers. IMO he is the reason that franchise has never gone anywhere. Never been a fan of his game or ability to lead a team

Burke hasn't screwed up enough to hate him. I still am not convinced he is going to be better than VJ, but its looking pretty good.

I still think the key to our beloved Phins winning consistently is a strong run game to compliment a stingy defense. We have the talent to run the ball, but when tats all we have on offense, teams will focus on it more. That is why a lot of phans were disappointed with the defense to start the season.

So far... our D has looked much better than last year over the last couple of weeks. Especially at stopping the run. However, it looks like we are getting better as we are also getting some Vet's at our LB positions with Timmons and Maualuga. We've helped our secondary with Tank in there instead of Maxwell. I know people are saying, let's see how they look against Atlanta. Here is my one caution with saying that. Our Offense is soooooo terrible and can't hold the ball that no matter how good our Defense is, if they get gassed because they are constantly on the field against and really really good or great Atlanta offense, the outcome might not be what we are looking for. That's something to take into consideration. Perfect example against Brees and New Orleans in London. The D held Brees to 3 points in the first half. 2 TD's in the 2nd half with the 2nd of the two coming with less than 5 minutes left in the game. The Defense was done at that point. It could look the same against Atlanta. We might hold our own for a while until the D gets tired.

Surprisingly, defense has been our strength so far this season. Especially since Maxwell got benched and Timmons came back. We're better against the rush, the coverage has tightened up....we're making it so that our offense only needs to score 24 points a game to consistently pull out the win. Now if only the offense would live up to billing...

So far... our D has looked much better than last year over the last couple of weeks. Especially at stopping the run. However, it looks like we are getting better as we are also getting some Vet's at our LB positions with Timmons and Maualuga. We've helped our secondary with Tank in there instead of Maxwell. I know people are saying, let's see how they look against Atlanta. Here is my one caution with saying that. Our Offense is soooooo terrible and can't hold the ball that no matter how good our Defense is, if they get gassed because they are constantly on the field against and really really good or great Atlanta offense, the outcome might not be what we are looking for. That's something to take into consideration. Perfect example against Brees and New Orleans in London. The D held Brees to 3 points in the first half. 2 TD's in the 2nd half with the 2nd of the two coming with less than 5 minutes left in the game. The Defense was done at that point. It could look the same against Atlanta. We might hold our own for a while until the D gets tired.

Yup. The saints and Jets game both - the defense did more than enough to win the game. The offense isn't just laying eggs, they are getting off the field in a hurry. As a result we lose the TOP battle (second half especially)

I hear you, though. Certainly not claiming Burke to be the next great coordinator, just wanted to see opinions from the board bc most had little to no faith in him.
I'm surprised, I thought many if not most on the board were willing to give Burke a chance.

Well, I'm just going to say this:

I think our defense has looked better this season when we've had Timmons, Hayes, Godchaux, Tankersley and Harris in the lineup...

... instead of Maxwell, Mario Williams, Fede, Phillips, Vigil and Butler.

Matt Burke gets props for getting guys in position to stop the opposing rushing attack, but he's working with much better personnel in the last 2 weeks than Vance Joseph had to work with for most of 2016.

So far so good. Next week is our first BIG challenge.

Back
Top Bottom