Matt Burke: Press confernce doesn't exactly inspire confidence | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Burke: Press confernce doesn't exactly inspire confidence

We'll see we didn't have NFL quality starters at LB last year with Paysinger and Butler

Tackling was bad. We missed Jones and we had to play ST guys at LB.

Well, every time Lazor spoke this forum got a collective hard-on so....

It inspired me. I like the idea of LBs playing lb, and changing roles specific to our opponents. To think Kiko, or anyone else on D,can only play in one space and only has one role, is a handicap.

I think lack of tackling was a major problem last year, but it was t limited to LBs or back ups. It was at every position. The backs ups for sure made it worse, but the whole defense was deficient. I think it was addressed by bringing in better athletes, 5 via the draft, 2 safeties, 1 DE, 1ln, via free agency and trades. We also had additions by eliminating players who didn't fit. The other element that will help is staff, and the players that stayed having a 2nd year in this system with this team. Not knowing assignments, and being out of position make tackling harder.

I can't tell you the last time I watched one of these press conferences.

I can't tell you the last time I watched one of these press conferences.

I hear ya. I'm not one for watching them either. I don't think you get much out of them

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multim...-Defense/bb65b999-7457-439b-b091-4be2b3018801

Very soft-spoken guy. I was wrong about Gase and I hope I'm wrong about this guy.

He blames poor tackling for poor run defense last year. Well whose job is it to improve tackling, coach? Especially for LBs, LB coach?

You can show a dog how to bite all day, but in the end if he doesn't want to he's not going to do it. If a pro player isn't a good tackler after a few years in the league I'm not sure more coaching is going to solve the issue.

I hear ya. I'm not one for watching them either. I don't think you get much out of them

I don't mean to judge people that do. It's the only Dolphins stuff happening right now and for a while. I just got tired of the regurgitated comments, cliches, and lack of any real info. I don't blame them. Why would you want to give any info whatsoever to your opponents? And if tone in press conferences mattered, the pats would be perennial losers.

Miami fans should know all the ra ra ra in the world by a coach only takes you so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is keeping the same defense as last year. He stated he is really not changing anything. When asked about the run defense all he could come up with was that we are going to allow the DEs more freedom by not lining them up in front of the tackles. Well, if the DEs are not there it means our LBs are going to have to fill those holes. So he thinks having a 300lbs. tackle take on a 235-240lbs. LB is better than having a 255-265lbs. DE take on the tackle. Good luck with that. There is a saying that has held true through the millennia - Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Wide nine defenses are typically used in obvious passing situations as the defensive end is only concerned with sacking the quarterback in this setup. This is actually considered a poor technique to use against a running play because the defensive linemen are so far out of position to try and stop a run to the A or C gaps (because the defensive tackles are typically coming through the B gaps to sack the quarterback as well). Also, this play is highly susceptible to the draw play, where the quarterback drops back as if to pass but instead hands the ball off to the running back. This play works because the defensive ends are typically already behind the running back by the time he gets the ball and have no chance at tackling him.

Here is what some people around the web say about the Wide-9:
It's so ridiculous that the ESPN guys act like the "wide 9" is some brilliant new defense. I coach at a D-III school and when we've seen people use this against us we've absolutely killed them with traps and the option game. I get that the NFL has great defensive ends but they I'm really tired of hearing about the wide 9 by idiots on tv.
http://smartfootball.com/defense/the-so-called-wide-nine

There is a reason why defenses don't utilize this scheme a majority of the time. It puts an emphasis on pressuring the quarterback, but tends to ignore the run game. In short, offenses can exploit this scheme by committing to the ground game.

Smart Football had an interesting take on exactly how offenses can exploit the wide nine:

...This technique...obviously opens up all kinds of issues in the run game: the defensive end aligns so wide the interior offensive linemen can quickly get up to the second level defenders like the linebackers, and the defensive ends are easy marks for traps, draws and counter plays as they sprint upfield.

Here is a prime example of giving a running back too much green field, which happens all too often in this scheme. Adrian Peterson might look like he is flying through the hole, but in all honesty you could drive a bus through that lane.

It remains to be seen just how much teams, including the Detroit Lions, will continue using this scheme with the advent of the pistol offense at this level.

Just on the surface, defensive ends who get up the field would leave a ton of open areas for either the quarterback or the running back to go through on the ground. In addition, asking a linebacker to cover this new formation might be an unenviable task for said linebacker.

Just ask Erik Walden (via Niners Nation).
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-and-weaknesses-of-every-nfl-defensive-scheme

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom