Matt Burke: Press confernce doesn't exactly inspire confidence | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Burke: Press confernce doesn't exactly inspire confidence

Burke takes trips in the off season to climb mountains in far away countries. He must be single, I can see saying to my wife, I'll see you in a few month after I climb Mt. Kilimajaro! He doesn't have the tough exterior of a Defensive Football Coach. He doesn't look like a former player like Jack Lambert or Ronnie Lott. He must be the new generation of coach who uses analytics etc. He better be able to breathe fire on the sideline if he has to. He better be a leader and his d better stop the damn run.

I love his answer to Omar about stopping the run with the Wide 9. I like the concept a lot. we'll see if it works out.

Miami has been terrible against the run ever since Philbin was hired. Coyle changed schemes and the Top 5 Rushing Defense that Philbin inherited immediately dropped in the rankings that first season. They dropped again and again, year after year. It didn't matter who was on the field, so I can only assume that the style of defense being used was ineffective against the run. I don't know the exact stats, but I'd be willing to bet that no defense has ever given up as many 20+ yard runs when the opponent needed 20+ yards for a first down as Coyle's defense allowed. Last season, in comes Gase and Joseph, and the defense under Joseph was just as pathetic against the run as Coyle's defense. Now, Burke wants to run the same defense and I expect to see the same results. Defensive players who have made it to the NFL must have learned how to tackle along the way, so it seems to me that Miami's defensive schemes and gameplans are easily defeated by any team that wants to run the ball.

Can't have much success against the run when your LBers and safeties are smelly garbage.

Hopefully the additional run stopping talent will snuff out those huge gains that gashed the defense last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just seems new to public speaking, like Grier was last year...but yeah his voice doesn't exactly scream "FOOTBALL" but oh well, Bellichick sounds like a battered 65 yr old wife when he talks.

I'll take a smart coach over a Rob Ryan any day. Wade Phillips is one of the best DCs in the biz and he doesn't look like he's ever been angry in his life.

Now, that's not to say Burke is a good coach, as we have nothing to go on; but if he isn't, it certainly isn't because of how he talks or carries himself.

Good point. Fact is he inherited a D with lots of holes that was statistically near the bottom of the league in many categories.. Let's see what he does with it now that he has some reinforcements and gets Jones back.
How he comes over in the pressers and his personality means little if he can get the job done. Of course that remains to be seen.

Kacy Rogers was key to our success on the Dline. Wish we could have been able to hold onto him.

Not a fan of his defensive philosophy or scheme here . . . at all. I'll reserve judgment on Burke till it's played out on the field, but I was hoping to see more than just simple "tweaks" to this defense. Also the fact that he calls the "Wide 9" a defense is cringe worthy. We'll see.

Posted this in the McMillan thread about the defense.

Looks like Burke will rely heavily on his roots of the gym shorts attacking philosophy. The "attacking" adjective may be deceiving to some as it does not refer at all to a heavy blitz scheme. In fact, it's the opposite as we'll stray from the zone blitzes that VJ used and the primary focus of the pass rush will be solely on the defensive line to get to the QB. Blitz packages will be minimal as that responsibility will be on the front four from wide pass sets (wide 9 alignment by the DE's). The LBs will read run first and react to the pass by then dropping into coverage. CBs will press and the safeties will be in Cover 2 with some Robber coverage (one safety rocks down underneath, the other rolls to the middle of the field) at times post-snap to provide a different look now and then. Simple assignments and the defense will rely heavily on execution instead of disguise and confusion. That's what he means he says he will streamline the defense.

Here are the drawbacks and weaknesses to that approach. Since the D-line's first job is to get to the QB, they can often leave creases and cutbacks for RB's if the don't react quick enough to the run. This can happen regardless if the LB's flow properly to their assigned gaps, especially with our front's wide alignment. With the LBs reading run first they are susceptible to the play action game be being sucked in and leaving space behind them. If we can't initially stop the run we'll have to use more Robber coverage for an 8th man (safety) in the box which will then remove press coverage b/c we don't have a true S2S Free Safety over top, putting us in more Cover 3 situations where they CBs will have to bail into a deep 1/3 zone. All in all, if/when a good offense can stall or nullify our execution we don't have much to rely on in terms of switching it up in favor of blitzing and confusion. It's a very straight forward scheme.

As far as cross training, I hope that it's simple camp/preseason process to feel out our new LB unit. It's good to cross train, happens often along units like the offensive line as well, but players need a spot to settle and get comfortable with. Not really a fan of not having a solidified leader at Mike to call the plays and line up the front 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Burke is the biggest question mark for the Dolphins next year. Does he have what it takes to devise and implement a solid defensive gameplan? And will he be able to make adjustments in-game? With Gase, at least we knew he had experience going up against the best minds in the game and breaking records along the way.

Matt Burke has never called a NFL game. He and Vance Joseph were called some of the "bright young defensive minds" but I honestly still didn't see that out of Joseph. It's way too early to tell with Burke. I can't tell from listening to Burke whether he's a defensive genius - he does a lot of the same non-explanative "coach speak" of "answering but not answering". He's obviously not yet comfortable from the press conference stand point. But it's one of the press conferences, I would say "words were spoken, but I don't know anything more than I did yesterday"

Also I don't really like hearing the word "interchangeable". To me, it sounds like it's a way of *not* using a player's strengths by saying either/any LB/Safety/DB can fill in.

"Tackling and injuries" sound like too convenient an excuse for how poorly the defense played.

Anyone crucifying this coach or defense is jumping the ****ing gun because you have no idea 1) what's in that playbook, 2) what personnel will play where, 3) his own personal philosophy in terms of aggression and situational play calling, and 4) injuries

Anyone crucifying this coach or defense is jumping the ****ing gun because you have no idea 1) what's in that playbook, 2) what personnel will play where, 3) his own personal philosophy in terms of aggression and situational play calling, and 4) injuries

We'll see after each game and at the end of the season. But if the results are poor then 1, 2 and 3 - who gives a **** if they don't get results. Only 4 is a legitimate excuse.

We'll see after each game and at the end of the season. But if the results are poor then 1, 2 and 3 - who gives a **** if they don't get results. Only 4 is a legitimate excuse.

I'm not talking about after the fact, I'm talking about being all "OMG OMG OMG THE DEFENSE!" Already making up your mind on the defense, based on 1, 2 and 3 seems pretty ridiculous to me

I'm not talking about after the fact, I'm talking about being all "OMG OMG OMG THE DEFENSE!" Already making up your mind on the defense, based on 1, 2 and 3 seems pretty ridiculous to me

Settle down, mate. Everything the Dolphins do doesn't have to be bathed in kool-aid. There's legitimate concern with this defense and some of us have very in-depth knowledge of the scheme, it's advantages & disadvantages, and what can and cannot be called to counter an offense.

Settle down, mate. Everything the Dolphins do doesn't have to be bathed in kool-aid. There's legitimate concern with this defense and some of us have very in-depth knowledge of the scheme, it's advantages & disadvantages, and what can and cannot be called to counter an offense.

You may be versed in the generalities of the supposed scheme, but the fact remains that you don't know about the situational preference for Burke and his level of aggressiveness in the scheme.

Back
Top Bottom