Matt Moore = Rich Gannon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Moore = Rich Gannon

Michael Morris

Active Roster
Reaction score
Those 30 an up should know that name. Rich Gannon played college ball at my home state of Delaware at Univ of Del. He was somewhere between a career journeymen borderline starter with a few teams before turning the early 2000's Raiders into a powerhouse in his late 30's. Even though he lost Josh Mcknown has had a good year in his late 30's after bouncing around for many teams. Some QB's have to get into the right place to showcase what they really can do. Not every qb is a franchise qb that can win with almost any team. There is no shame in that and a team can still win a sb with a non-franchise qb. Moore had a bad playoff game last year against a dominant Steeler's team but, otherwise played as good as any qb throughout the last 6 games. He deserves a shot till Tanny get's back and maybe even during training camp next year. Everyone needs to get off this pipe dream of us drafting the next Petyon, Brady, Marino, or Aaron Rodger's. There flat out isn't that big of a gap between Cutler, Tanny or Moore so why not give Moore another chance. Just because other teams pass on a qb to be their starter means nothing. Moore just may be the right fit for now until he proves otherwise. It's not like Moore is replacing a Franchise QB in Miami.

I like Moore. But I'm also aware of his strengths and weaknesses. That said, I also believe his intangibles far exceed his ability and also make him a better QB than Cutler.

Bringing in Cutler to START created a distrust between the coach and his team. But Gase also has the ability to right this ship.

Long term, I think Gase will learn from his handling of this situation. I think we will start to develop a young QB through the draft and I think he will not make the "Cutler" mistake again. When he unwittingly approached Cutler immediately without anointing Moore the starter, he showed his cards and allowed Cutler to fleece him. Cutler's role should have been as a backup from the beginning.

If Gase demotes Moore again, he hasn't learned a thing.

In regards to Moore, I have always felt that Moore is a great emotional leader. He is one of the best leaders we have had as a QB. He reminds me of Chad Pennington. Ignoring the detractors and willingly leading his men into battle. That type of leader elevates everyone around them. Creating a mentality of men willing to run into a brick wall for him.

Is Moore a long term starter? No. But he is the prototypical backup QB. His style as a gunslinger and fearless leader creates hope in confined situations. He is at his best when D's have not had time to game plan him. But even when they do, D's seemingly have a hard time containing his ability to lead comebacks and infuse a rally mentality within a team. He is a literal "spark" on the sideline, waiting for his fuse to get lit.

For a lack of better words, he is a situational QB. But not in a sense as 4th and Inches or 3rd and Goal. You call Matt Moore's number when your back is against the wall and your prepared game plan isn't working. Moore is the fire fighter's QB.

Moore is like Tannehill in a sense that most fans will never understand his true value to this team until he is gone or unable to play.

Like Tannehill is a tough S.O.B. willing to lay everything on the line for us to win. Remember the Bud Dupree hit? That man finished the game when he shouldn't have. That's Matt Moore.

If he is your starter, you have to game plan in such a way to keep him coiled until the moment is right. You have to manage him and set him up for success.

Gase can learn and Moore can lead. We can with these two working together. But Gase is going to have to take another step towards becoming a great coach. How he handles his self-inflicted dilemma will show us a lot about Gase.

I agree I'm not going to start Moore over just anyone. Cutler maybe, Tannyhill before last year, maybe. If we want to draft another qb next year and hope he is a franchise qb i'm all for it, however this year needs to be Moore and if Tannyhill hasn't shown through training camp that he is back to the person that he was coming into before the injury then Moore should start.

Furthermore, I've seen a hell of a lot of worst qb's than Moore get many legitimate shots at being a starter in this league(Think RG3, etc)

The NFL is wide open this year. I see no team that really scares anyone. Too bad Ryan got hurt but yea I really like what Moore did today. Hopefully they let him finish it out.

Really like the Gannon comparison, gannon was more of a short passer from what I remember, however the career backup into starter is the perfect comparison. If Moore got a fair shot to start he would be a very worthy starter in this league, thankfully Moore can start the rest of this year and we still have Thill coming back. Moore will gladly backup Tannehill and team chemistry will still be in place. Don't let people tell you he's not a competent starter, guy is better than a lot of starters. People just don't like him because he's not popular and he throws wobbly passes sometimes. Somebody mentioned that Moore came in and threw for more yards in one quarter than cutler has all year in any game. I don't know if that's true but its probably close. Cutler couldn't move the offense at all for idk how many games and Moore comes in and instantly scores in bunches, -10 mil.

People will hate for any reason, most of the time and certainly in this case for non legit ones.

Idk how the play calling was this game, but it seemed like more of the same from the comments. It's always somebody that has to come in and save Gase from himself because he can't recognize talent and seemingly has no common sense. I'm so tired of these Phiblinesque coaches that have zero clue about even the most simple things.

This is why I wanted Campbell, I'm 100% certain we would have been a much better/much more dominant team with him simply because he recognizes basic things, relates to players because he's an everyday guy and a leader, not to mention the brains to back all that up. I think we would have gotten to the second playoff game last year with Campbell, and Moore/Asiata/Davis would have been starting day one for him. We wouldn't have gave up albert for nothing, and wouldn't have thomas/cutler. Most of the game is about making the simple right calls, not about being some guy who can hit some random high iq spots every now and then but it doesn't matter most of the time because he never did the basic things to get in a spot for that to matter in the first place.

I'm happy we won, and as I've always said I hope Gase improves but man it sure would be nice if the head coach wasn't holding the team back and was instead helping the team win. It's been so long since we've had that, most people don't even remember what that is. They saw it in Campbell's short stint and a lot loved it, many hated it also because he wasn't pretty enough for them or didn't have enough experience. Even though he played for 10+ years and knew the game very well, they'd rather have a guy with no actual football experience who sat behind a desk forever playing head games. I'll take the experienced player over the desk jockey every day of the week, especially one that was as instinctual, tough, relatable, and bright as Campbell was. Burke seems to be doing well and he has no experience either, a lot of times it's the guys without coaching experience that are the best choices.

Point is, I hope we keep winning and we can actually do something with Gase, however I don't wan't his zero common sense and inability to adapt/stubborness in sticking to what doesn't work to keep us from winning a lot more. We saw that endlessly from Sparano and Phiblin so don't let the record fool you, a lot of times records are not representative of what a team really is. I hope Gase turns into a coach that helps us win instead of us winning in spite of him because you truly need both coaches and players trying to win to be a great long term team.

If Gase finally matures and helps us win I'm all for keeping him, if not I'd rather us go get Campbell back because I know he will help us win.

For those that still can't see past their bias of the facts let me explain it to you like this. I'm a Red Sox fan and we had this coach named Terry Francona who we won 2 titles with over i believe 8 years. However, the guy was an egomaniac and was constantly trying to make himself look smart by pulling pitchers and inserting x pitcher/player in x situation every chance he got. I watched him lose seemingly 20 games a year for us with that bs, almost every time he would pull the pitchers to try and look smart the opposing team would hit homers to win it or just roll us afterwards. It's not popular opinion because people only follow what they are told to like "oh but he won us 2 titles in 8 years, you're an idiot." If we had an actual coach that was trying to win instead of just trying to make himself look smart we would have won probably at least a couple more titles with all the talent we had in that time span.

I just want a coach that will help us win, not one that we win in spite of.

I agree with everything, especially attempting to get Albert back at LT or LG with Tunsil. Dan Campbell as coach not sure on that one. Culter because of his skill set I thought he would be better.

Rich Gannon comparisons is purely wishful thinking at this point. Moore could be a savior, but purely in getting us a better draft pick kind of way. While it's true some systems do make the quarterback Matt has been playing within the system far too long to become a Messiah out of nowhere. Just my humble opinion.
Oh yeah, ha ha Yankee fans

I agree I'm not going to start Moore over just anyone. Cutler maybe, Tannyhill before last year, maybe. If we want to draft another qb next year and hope he is a franchise qb i'm all for it, however this year needs to be Moore and if Tannyhill hasn't shown through training camp that he is back to the person that he was coming into before the injury then Moore should start.
I like Moore. But I'm also aware of his strengths and weaknesses. That said, I also believe his intangibles far exceed his ability and also make him a better QB than Cutler.

Bringing in Cutler to START created a distrust between the coach and his team. But Gase also has the ability to right this ship.

Long term, I think Gase will learn from his handling of this situation. I think we will start to develop a young QB through the draft and I think he will not make the "Cutler" mistake again. When he unwittingly approached Cutler immediately without anointing Moore the starter, he showed his cards and allowed Cutler to fleece him. Cutler's role should have been as a backup from the beginning.

If Gase demotes Moore again, he hasn't learned a thing.

In regards to Moore, I have always felt that Moore is a great emotional leader. He is one of the best leaders we have had as a QB. He reminds me of Chad Pennington. Ignoring the detractors and willingly leading his men into battle. That type of leader elevates everyone around them. Creating a mentality of men willing to run into a brick wall for him.

Is Moore a long term starter? No. But he is the prototypical backup QB. His style as a gunslinger and fearless leader creates hope in confined situations. He is at his best when D's have not had time to game plan him. But even when they do, D's seemingly have a hard time containing his ability to lead comebacks and infuse a rally mentality within a team. He is a literal "spark" on the sideline, waiting for his fuse to get lit.

For a lack of better words, he is a situational QB. But not in a sense as 4th and Inches or 3rd and Goal. You call Matt Moore's number when your back is against the wall and your prepared game plan isn't working. Moore is the fire fighter's QB.

Moore is like Tannehill in a sense that most fans will never understand his true value to this team until he is gone or unable to play.

Like Tannehill is a tough S.O.B. willing to lay everything on the line for us to win. Remember the Bud Dupree hit? That man finished the game when he shouldn't have. That's Matt Moore.

If he is your starter, you have to game plan in such a way to keep him coiled until the moment is right. You have to manage him and set him up for success.

Gase can learn and Moore can lead. We can with these two working together. But Gase is going to have to take another step towards becoming a great coach. How he handles his self-inflicted dilemma will show us a lot about Gase.

THIS!! Great post...I said as much here.

Furthermore, I've seen a hell of a lot of worst qb's than Moore get many legitimate shots at being a starter in this league(Think RG3, etc)

Seriously. It seems so obvious when you look at the guys who have started in recent years that starting QB's are frequently not good QB's, and in fact most of them will play out not to be. I can't even draw out the names of all the bad, bad, bad starting QB's in this league that have started while Moore has been a backup since its such an obvious proposition, but those who dislike Moore will always use that ammo against him.

I just remember how all the smart football people here said we had "no chance" with Moore starting cold against the Jets on the road. Then when he dominated it was because "they gave up".

Really like the Gannon comparison, gannon was more of a short passer from what I remember, however the career backup into starter is the perfect comparison. If Moore got a fair shot to start he would be a very worthy starter in this league, thankfully Moore can start the rest of this year and we still have Thill coming back. Moore will gladly backup Tannehill and team chemistry will still be in place. Don't let people tell you he's not a competent starter, guy is better than a lot of starters. People just don't like him because he's not popular and he throws wobbly passes sometimes. Somebody mentioned that Moore came in and threw for more yards in one quarter than cutler has all year in any game. I don't know if that's true but its probably close. Cutler couldn't move the offense at all for idk how many games and Moore comes in and instantly scores in bunches, -10 mil.

People will hate for any reason, most of the time and certainly in this case for non legit ones.

Idk how the play calling was this game, but it seemed like more of the same from the comments. It's always somebody that has to come in and save Gase from himself because he can't recognize talent and seemingly has no common sense. I'm so tired of these Phiblinesque coaches that have zero clue about even the most simple things.

This is why I wanted Campbell, I'm 100% certain we would have been a much better/much more dominant team with him simply because he recognizes basic things, relates to players because he's an everyday guy and a leader, not to mention the brains to back all that up. I think we would have gotten to the second playoff game last year with Campbell, and Moore/Asiata/Davis would have been starting day one for him. We wouldn't have gave up albert for nothing, and wouldn't have thomas/cutler. Most of the game is about making the simple right calls, not about being some guy who can hit some random high iq spots every now and then but it doesn't matter most of the time because he never did the basic things to get in a spot for that to matter in the first place.

I'm happy we won, and as I've always said I hope Gase improves but man it sure would be nice if the head coach wasn't holding the team back and was instead helping the team win. It's been so long since we've had that, most people don't even remember what that is. They saw it in Campbell's short stint and a lot loved it, many hated it also because he wasn't pretty enough for them or didn't have enough experience. Even though he played for 10+ years and knew the game very well, they'd rather have a guy with no actual football experience who sat behind a desk forever playing head games. I'll take the experienced player over the desk jockey every day of the week, especially one that was as instinctual, tough, relatable, and bright as Campbell was. Burke seems to be doing well and he has no experience either, a lot of times it's the guys without coaching experience that are the best choices.

Point is, I hope we keep winning and we can actually do something with Gase, however I don't wan't his zero common sense and inability to adapt/stubborness in sticking to what doesn't work to keep us from winning a lot more. We saw that endlessly from Sparano and Phiblin so don't let the record fool you, a lot of times records are not representative of what a team really is. I hope Gase turns into a coach that helps us win instead of us winning in spite of him because you truly need both coaches and players trying to win to be a great long term team.

If Gase finally matures and helps us win I'm all for keeping him, if not I'd rather us go get Campbell back because I know he will help us win.

For those that still can't see past their bias of the facts let me explain it to you like this. I'm a Red Sox fan and we had this coach named Terry Francona who we won 2 titles with over i believe 8 years. However, the guy was an egomaniac and was constantly trying to make himself look smart by pulling pitchers and inserting x pitcher/player in x situation every chance he got. I watched him lose seemingly 20 games a year for us with that bs, almost every time he would pull the pitchers to try and look smart the opposing team would hit homers to win it or just roll us afterwards. It's not popular opinion because people only follow what they are told to like "oh but he won us 2 titles in 8 years, you're an idiot." If we had an actual coach that was trying to win instead of just trying to make himself look smart we would have won probably at least a couple more titles with all the talent we had in that time span.

I just want a coach that will help us win, not one that we win in spite of.
PEOPLE WILL HATE FOR ANY REASON,MOST OF THE TIME,AND CERTAINLY IN THIS CASE FOR NO LEGIT REASON Maybe you should take your own advice in the bolded part. People in glass skyscrapers should not throw boulders! Enough with the Gase foolishness in everyone of your posts. Take a look at the team's record overall and in one score games....you know, LOOK AT THE FACT HATER

Last edited:
I get the comparison but they are pretty different QB - Gannon cold and calculated, short game, Moore being Moore, the gunslinger.

I do think Moore could end up being considered one of the best relief guys the NFL has seen, but yeah for us at least would like to see him finish the season.

PEOPLE WILL HATE FOR ANY REASON,MOST OF THE TIME,AND CERTAINLY IN THIS CASE FOR NO LEGIT REASON Maybe you should take your own advice in the bolded part. People in glass skyscrapers should not throw boulders! Enough with the Gase foolishness in everyone of your posts. Take a look at the team's record overall and in one score games....you know, LOOK AT THE FACT HATER

I am looking at the facts, of what happens in the actual games. I don't know what hole you're coming out from but that's a really weak attempt at reverse psychology. I'll give you a hint, name calling doesn't really bother me anymore, I'm not 20 anymore. If you have something to actually say, that might.

I am looking at the facts, of what happens in the actual games. I don't know what hole you're coming out from but that's a really weak attempt at reverse psychology. I'll give you a hint, name calling doesn't really bother me anymore, I'm not 20 anymore. If you have something to actually say, that might.
I'm saying that you try to call out people on bias and not looking at facts....exactly what you do in all your posts. I really did not think i was trying to be mysterious about it. Our record with Gase as HC in our last 17 games is 13-4. I think we have won 12 straight one score games. Those are numbers that have no bias or agenda. The hole I crawled out of is being a Dolphin fan of 45 yrs and have to constantly see people try to educate you on the game of football...and for you to constantly disregard what they say..but carry on with the hate. When Gase is here for years to come, and they continually win games, I can imagine you will continue with your silly take on Gase(who is not perfect) regardless of what others say. Phins up

I don't agree with the Gase hate but dolphinlifer explained his reasoning. It may drive me crazy but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm all in for Gase and hopefully (even the doubters hope) he proves us right. We're all Dolphin fans here and sees things differently. Not sure what Gase is supposed to do but just two years ago we were saying how we never go to the playoffs and are a laughing stock..We're in the playoffs as of now..Good enough for me for all that he has endured. He's the glue to this team IMO and that's how it should be.
PHINS UP!!

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Back
Top Bottom