Matt moore vs david garrard vs ryan tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SeanSmith24, May 5, 2012.

1. SeanSmith24

SeanSmith24 GREATNESS

Matt Moore vs David Garrard vs Ryan Tannehill, who do u guys think will be the starter when we play the Texans week 1?.......Honestly im kinda hoping that matt moore has a 2010 season like and not the 6-3 2011 season for this season coming up. Then that would make the battle against Garrard and Tannehill. I feel like by week 9 Tannehill starts and have a heck of a year as a rookie qb and beyond for us, i feel like he will have a better year/career then luck and rg3, i could be wrong but as a fan i can only hope and pray for it

moorevgarrard_original_original.png

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1171033-predicting-the-miami-dolphins-quarterback-battle

2. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

My bet is Matt Moore. My hope is that they let Tannehill sit and soak for the first year of his career.

3. hooserdaddy

hooserdaddy FinHeaven VIP

I think Garrard, if healthy will win the job and they will sit Tannehill as long as they can this season. I honestly think Tannehill will be the best qb in camp and preseason but they will have him sit at least half the season or up to the bye week. The one thing that makes me wonder if Garrard can run this offense is that living in Jacksonville I know they did not allow him to make audibles. I don't know if that was Del Rio or what they felt he could handle. In a up tempo no huddle offense like were going to deploy I really don't know if Garrard can run it effectively or for that matter Moore.

4. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

i was all about tannehill sitting the year but now i really want him to start. i think moore will probly start tho. i honestly think that tannehill could and will beat out the vets. just a feeling

5. finfromthenorth

finfromthenorth Starter Donator

whether he can or cant beat them out should not be the question. The question should be will he be a better qb in the future if he sits for a year and learns. My guess is yes. Dont ruin the kid. Let Moore and Gerrard fight it out and have our future learn for a year.

6. Killerphins

Killerphins Well-Known Member

I don't think so at this point. He has to get the majority of reps . Let him take his lumps of course. People talking about putting him on the field after the bye.
    That seems like losses early and gains no confidence.... For Tanny as a backup.
    That is the rub. Scenario bugs me with Moore. Doubt he starts.

7. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

i agree with you, but some can argue coming in early can be a good thing as well. esp if he has success. if he doesnt start the year the starter i still think he will get playing time like locker last year. not comparing tannehill to aikman or manning, but both of those guys got killed their first years.
    and with the coaching staff we have th sky is the limit imo. philbin is a great teacher

8. fakespike

fakespike Starter

worked for Chad Henne, right?

9. Killerphins

Killerphins Well-Known Member

I was in the building when TBuck schooled Manning in his first start. Buckley took one back. We won by nine.

10. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I think Moore will start and hopefully he will do well, but I have a feeling Tannehill will be in there by about the middle of the season. If you draft a guy in the first round you usually see them playing early on, unless you can make an argument that Moore is better. I think Garrard is basically just there for emergencies. So I will say Tannehill starts by Week 8.

11. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Hopefully Tannehill makes like Matt Flynn this first year. Maybe he steps in and tears it up right away. Who knows. But it would be awesome to get the line gelled with Martin, etc. Gotta make sure the QB doesn't get killed.

12. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Matt and David are on one year contracts. They are competing to see who stays on as the backup next year. if we are playing great Ryan will set. If not he'll play some and start the last few games.

13. finfromthenorth

finfromthenorth Starter Donator

I think chad Henne lacked coaching so he could have sat for 10 years and the poor kid never stood a chance. All I hear about Sherman and philbin is that they are quarterback gurus. So sitting and learning will be beneficial

14. Chance29

Chance29 Rookie

I T-Hill starts day one. If he plays good in training camp and show's well in preseason games why not? I don't understand how sitting him and then if we are having a dissapointing season bring him in doesn't add more pressure to a rookie QB. I think there will be even more pressure for him to push and make things happen to get us wins. I think if he knows the playbook and can operate the offense you let the guy get comfortable with our ones in TC and preseason and prepare him to be the opening day starter.

15. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

Well, if I had to lay money right now, without seeing any of them operate the O, I'd say Garrard wins the battle. Not that either he or Moore are the long term answer, but Tanny's inexperience against Phillips D, BB D, Rexy's D, etc scares me a bit... The thing is, if MMoore or Garrard win the job, I hope not to see Tanny on the field except in mop up situations...if we do, that'll mean the season isn't going well...

Let me clarify one other thing, I don't think Garrard is the better of the three, I actually think Tanny will turn out to be the better and MMoore might even be better but at this point, with MMoore suddenly running an O he's never run before with his limited experience I don't see him getting the job. Conversely, Tanny, even with his experience running the O, he's still a rookie and will have some rookie errors if thrown in there...

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

David Carr and Joey Harrington all over again....

16. vega51

vega51 Well-Known Member

is going to be a very tough battle if Garrard is healthy, but Moore should start with what he did last year.

17. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

'IMO Matty Moore is already the 2nd best QB in the division. So if either Garrard or T-hill beat him out in a legitimate TC competition, it will be an upgrade even beyond that! As I think MM has demonstrated that valuable leadership intangible where I don't necessarily think Garrard possesses to that extent, I'd prefer to see Matty win out so that his infectious team enthusiasm and confidence can start rubbing off on Ryan.

18. fast ed

fast ed Member

Everyone on here knows that the kid is our future, but if Matt beats out David in pre-season my opinion is based on his performance last year he deserves to start the opening game.

19. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

The ideal situation IMO would be to have only Moore & Garrard take snaps this season.

I too have confidence in this coaching staff. If as Roman says, RT17 is the starter by week 8 then so be it.

20. Badboy_2083

Badboy_2083 Active Member

In my opinion what should be the deciding after determining that he is good enough to compete with the other 2 right now, is can we protect him. Someone else mentioned David Carr and Joey Harrington. They both got hit a ton as young qbs and that's what can spoil a good prospect quick. I do believe we have good talent on the oline and as long as they look good zone blocking before week one I don't see a problem starting Tannehil on the 1st snap.

21. Phin55

Phin55 Member

My money is on Tannehill.

22. SeanSmith24

SeanSmith24 GREATNESS

i rather tannehill make his rookie mistakes no that there's no wr on the team and next year he will be ready once we sign a free agent or drat a premier rookie wr

23. SeanSmith24

SeanSmith24 GREATNESS

24. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

T-Hill has been learning this offense for the last 4 years. Moore and Garrard this is year one.

T-Hill starts day one.

25. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

If Matt Moore was 6-3 his last 9 games and Tannehill beats him out right then that is a good thing. Tannehill needs to get used to the defensive formations and the progressions.

26. ojmcduffy

ojmcduffy Seasoned Veteran

Maybe we could lock them up in a steel cage and let them fight it out. First one to touch the floor wins the starting job.

27. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

I still think Matt Moore starts Week 1.

28. Digital

Digital Starter

I agree. If Tannehill's starts he is not going to be very good IMHO. That might destroy his confidence like it has many high pick rookies. Matt Moore looked decent last year and definitely impressed me more ad a QB and leader than Gerrard ever has. I'm hoping and betting its Moore. Although, I'm sure he will split reps in practice with Tannehill until the pressure starts to mount on Philbin.

29. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

I think Moore will win out in TC, but even if Tannehill looks better they will probably wait until the O-Line is stabilized and has shown that it can protect a first round investment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Garrard gets cut before the season starts. Maybe some kind of injury waiver thing...

30. rcasellas64

rcasellas64 Well-Known Member

I just say let the best man (QB) win. If its a open competition, then with the knowledge of the WCO Tannehill should be much better than the other two.

31. mialuv13

mialuv13 A True Fan

I would think that MM starts the season based on what we saw from him the last 9 games of last season. I'm game for whoever wins out in TC and preseason. I'm split on starting RT at the beginning of the season. On one hand, rookie QBs have been able to come in and make an immediate impact for their teams the past few seasons. On the other hand, letting him sit and absorb the game for a little bit may help him out. He knows the offense and the coaches seem to know what they are doing (considering they helped groom Aaron Rodgers). As for Garrard, if he can come in and win the starting spot and subsequently win some games, then I'm all for that. I've resigned to the fact that this is not a "win now" team, but if any one of the QBs steps up and makes us a competitor then bring it on.

MM is the likely starter though. I'm hoping he can play similar to the last 9 games PLUS adding some consistency through having an off-season with the team. I couldn't stand MM last year, but the man brought some excitement into being a Dolfan. After seeing what he did without an off-season with the team, he deserves a shot. The biggest downfalls for MM in my opinion is that he pretty much locked his sight on Marshall last season, and he had trouble with quick passes in traffic (a staple of the WCO). I'm not so sure how he will fair without a big receiver and with the faster playing style.

I'm seriously hoping RT is our man. The ceiling has been set pretty high for him so hopefully he can deliver.

32. flip

flip Starter

If the team doesnt play favorites Matt Moore is the starter and should be. But if they do what the last staff did , thats our guy and we are gonna play him then Ryan starts.

33. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

So you are hoping that Moore fails!?!? I dont see the logic in that.. Not sure how that helps the team.

34. Kevbo855

Kevbo855 Member

I hope Moore can out right win the starting job in training camp but once things start to go bad we better hand the keys to the franchise over to Tannehill....He's a smart kid who will be able to pick up the rest of the playbook fast. His ability to read NFL coverages will ultimately determine how well he does as a rookie.

35. mwestberry

mwestberry Well-Known Member

Why would a team that has suffered as long as the fins take a QB in the first round andlet him sit? If he has no grasp of the offense I get it. What would we possibly gain from letting T-hill sit? If we are going to be a mediocre team (no slam, not hatin') then this guy needs to be part of the reason. What is the advantage to T-hills' growth and experience by letting him sit and watch. If he is not the starter he will not get the majority of the reps in practice. If he is not the starter how can he adjust to the game speed of the NFL? These are some of the arguments I read and they do not add up to any logical thinkning. If he sits and we have a winning season how did he benefit? Same goes on the other side of the coun. My main point is if you draft a Qb that is supposed to be the answer and he has a grasp of the offense then you play him. The only reason I would not start him beyond injury is if he did not understand the offense enough to be productive.

36. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

I think it was clear that with B Marshall on the field he was always the first choice and often the only choice because that is the way he wanted it to be.