Matt Moore was 6-3 down the stretch, Moore and the new coaching staff have my support

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rhoadsy13, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Rhoadsy13

Rhoadsy13 Starter

I will be the first to say that I wanted Flynn, but thinking it over last night I came to realization that down the stretch last season we were one of the best teams in the league with Moore at the helm. Plus 2 of those losses were by 1 to the Cowboys and 3 to Patriots both on the road. I really like the addition of Marshall to an already strong D, obviously we need help at the WR position and RT which I imagine we will find in the draft.

I don't think this team is falling apart like others on here, I think we have let the media bringing us down b/c of what the football "insiders" expected us to do. Since the media is so down on us we are forgetting the way this team finished (I know I did) and now we have proven coaches both on the offensive and defensive side. I'm excited about the draft to see the direction we are going to take.

Dominate likes this.
  2. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

I still think we need to add a QB at some point and if it's the draft that is fine with me.

3. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Matt Moore is not a franchise QB...period.

4. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

We're not going to find a franchise QB in Free Agency. You usually find them in the draft,

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

here wego...

6. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

We aren't winning a damn thing with Matt Moore.

7. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

:pbanana: :pbanana: :pbanana: :pbanana: :pbanana: :pbanana: :pbanana: :pbanana: :pbanana:

In the 2nd round of the NFL draft, the Miami Dolphin take:

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State
    Height: 6-7. Weight: 242.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
    Hand: 9 7/8.
    Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

3/5/12: Osweiler was moving up draft boards as teams prepared for the Combine. He hurt his climb by not working out in Indianapolis. Osweiler is going to need an impressive pro day to be the fourth quarterback selected. Brandon Weeden and Kirk Cousins are his competition, and they both worked out at the Combine.

Osweiler is big-armed pocket passer who has surprising mobility. The former basketball player has good athletic ability for being so tall. Looking at him, one would think he would be a statue in the pocket, but that is definitely not the case. As a junior this year, Osweiler completed 63 percent of his passes for 4,036 yards with 26 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also ran for 298 yards and three touchdowns. Osweiler set the school record for yards, completions and attempts. In 2010, he had only two starts, but played well, throwing for 797 yards and five touchdowns with zero interceptions while also running for 168 yards and a score.

Osweiler has real arm strength and the gun to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. He is very raw and needs some work. If Osweiler goes to a good coaching staff that can develop him for a few years, he could turn into something. It wouldn't be surprising if Osweiler's stock rises during the lead up to the draft. He should have stayed in school and improved before going pro.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  8. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

We went 6-6 with Matt Moore, not 6-3. More is ranked smack dab in the middle of the league in many categories when it comes to passing. In an unbearable stretch of mediocrity, can you blame anyone for wanting to upgrade the position?

9. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

I liked the way Matt played last year but I am skeptical..Look at the teams he beat.. The Bills twice..(They suck) He beat the Jets( they were in turmoil) Chiefs (Suck) Raiders (suck) and Skins ( Suck)

He helped lose big leads in the Pats game, Held the ball a bit too long in the Eagles game and also had a chance to close out the Cowboys but didnt. I like him but he is not the answer..Bring in a rookie to learn and compete. ...Here we go again indeed.

10. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

Thats the way Ive seen it all along, but Ive never wanted Flynn to begin with.

But I also think we need to draft a franchise QB, whether it be this year or next year

11. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

I couldn't have said it better... Wanted Flynn but I am very pleased having Moore... Let's give him some weapons and protection.

12. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

6-6????

Moore isn't by any means a top 10 QB, but he also took over as the starter in the middle of the season as well as a piss poor offensive coaching staff.

He has potential, give him a full season as the starter before you crucify him...

13. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

They said the same thing about Tebow last year. Same thing you just said.

14. Rhoadsy13

Rhoadsy13 Starter

You are correct he started 0-3 but once he got comfortable (no training camp) he really settled in and played very well the 2nd half of the season. The whole team took weeks before they were game ready which was the coaches fault. I'm not saying he is our franchise QB, I'm all for drafting a Tanehill or Cousins, I just feel with our options in FA that sticking with Moore may give us the best chance to win.

15. minus

minus Perennial All-Pro Hammered

I'm fine with Moore as starting QB. He might surprise all of us an elevate his game. I was on board with drafting Tannehill with #8 pick but thinking about it, I would much rather draft Riley Reiff. Tannehill #8 is too much of a reach while Riley can come in and contribute from day one.

16. rvz1020

rvz1020 Well-Known Member

If Sanchez can make playoffs 2 yrs in a row, I am sure Moore can if we had all the other pieces in place and Philbin taking over for Sparano. We need to draft pass rusher, TE, and 2 wr's.

17. Miamifinz

Who's crucifying? Don't get it twisted. I'm not opposed to having Moore start in 2012, but the roster surrounding him has to be significantly better to help him out, and right now, he's lacking a #1 wr, his favorite target last year. He was signed as a backup to Henne, and he's getting backup money. I believe it is worth bringing in competition and seeing if we can't get more out of that position.

18. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

Then maybe we misunderstood each other... I concur, We'll need to bring in another QB to push him, regardless if it's through the draft, FA or a mix of both... Worst case scenario we move on with the guy we drafted or draft a potential franchise QB next year. [dream]Best case, Moore becomes the next Kurt Warner and leads us to a Super bowl[/dream]

19. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

We need to support Matt Moore 100% and surround him with as many weapons as we can. It's our only choice right now.

20. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Neither is Matt Flynn or Alex Smith, even Peyton Manning isnt a franchise QB considering he's 36 and going to a new team.

21. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Give Moore some more weapons and lets see what he can do. We need to think positive now and hope we can bolster our offense.

22. jmcconnell5

jmcconnell5 Rookie

I'm ok with Moore as well. Let the underdog get a shot. Though, I still wish we would have kept Thigpen and given him a year at the reigns. I mean, with the way most people on this board speak (doom and gloom), you think we're gonna suck anyway. So give some underdogs a shot.

23. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Look at who we beat, who we lost to and how we won. We beat crappy teams, lost to teams that were average or better, and couldn't close games we should have won. Moore lost 3 games almost single handedly with fumbles. He struggles to pass for 200 yards in a pass happy league, has no pocket presence, and crappy arm strength. Also the games he won, he had significant help from the Defense. This team has to play perfect in every aspect to win with Matt Moore at the helm, he is not the answer as a starting QB unless we are looking at drafting in the top 10 every year. I don't have anything personal against the guy, seems like a real classy dude, but I know what I saw.

So you can fall back on his QBR and 6-3 down the stretch delusion if it makes you feel better, but I know that this guy isn't taking us anywhere near the playoffs.

24. Sulamar1

Sulamar1 Active Member

Matt Moore >= Alex Smith > David Garrard > Tim Tebow.

Just stick with what we have or pick up Alex Smith to compete with Moore.

25. jmcconnell5

jmcconnell5 Rookie

You make a valid point 67stang. Very valid. I didn't watch many games last year after Henne went down. But.....I wasn't necessarily sold on Flynn with a big contract, or Peyton for his age and that type of money. But what options are there really? Draft....or pick up Garrard.....or Tebow I guess and hope that he sells tickets and prays really hard.

26. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Dont agree that Moore is better or even equal to smith. moore hasnt even been able to earn and keep a starting job for a full season while Smith played well last year and did not have to wait on an injury to play

27. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Moore did not beat a 500 or better team last year. He lost to Tebow! He will hold out for a 3 year contract. We need to draft a QB in the first round. Smith is gone. Thats all we have now.

28. Sulamar1

Sulamar1 Active Member

This is true. I guess it was more hyperbolic of me to post that. I just wanted to show my disdain for Tebow, lol.

I still hope we sign Alex Smith and have him compete with Moore and just avoid Garrard and Tebow.

29. Miamifinz

It's clear there's a stigma following Smith around. He's been steadiy improving for a while now, but he's still labeled a total failure. He could definitely beat out Moore for the starting job.

30. 67Stang

haha at Moore is > Alex Smith. Smith won games from behind last year and closed out games, Moore fumbled or couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the last 5 minutes......get real!

31. Sulamar1

Sulamar1 Active Member

Sorry, shouldn't have used math symbols. I said Moore equal to or greater than Smith. And then I clarified it was hyperbole of me 2 posts later. I think Smith is better and should be signed to compete with Moore.

32. xSxPxHx

xSxPxHx Scout Team

Im happy with Matt Moore. HE is a warrior and a good choice at this point of all that has happen. But the only thing that concenrs me is our WR spot.

33. Ilovemyfins4eva

Ilovemyfins4eva A True Fan Donator

lol. so finally the 1st overall pick from the 2005 draft had a decent, not great, but decent season 7 years into his career. if he was on the dolphins you, along with the entire fan base would be crucifying him considering the expecations for him and how miserable hes been.

also, u took about the defense being the reason we won with moore, dude, david akers led league in pts last year, not because the 49ers were scoring loads of tds a game, but because they were kicking field goals and having a great defense behind him.

i dont know who is better, but alex smith coming to the fins ( which is not happening obviously now with manning in denver) would not make us any better than we are with moore this year.

i love how everyone gives a guy in smith a pass and is actually justifying how he played decent last year, when he ****ing was drafted 1st overall in 2005. last year was his 1st playoff appearance ever, and he has played in a ****ty division basically the majority of his career.

34. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

Smith was also the #1 pick in the draft prior to the rookie wage scale, and teams were handcuffed to the #1 pick for years. If it wasn't for this, Smith would've been out of San Fran long ago. I prefer to stick with Moore, I've seen enough of Smith to know he is not a franchise QB. If he's not a clear upgrade over what we have, why allocate $8M of our salary cap to someone who'll battle for the starting job? That's why I think the front office let Flynn walk. The media can swing this against us any way they like, but I'm proud of Ireland for sticking to his guns and not caving to the pressure. If you feel in your gut that this guy is not much better than what you have, don't break the bank for him.

35. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well Harbaugh was under no pressure to resign him last year and did . Moore has not even proven he can keep a starting job while Smith had no problem keeping his .

36. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

Right, because his 76.4 career QB rating screamed franchise QB. :rolleyes2:

Harbaugh saw Smith as possibly salvagable, only reason he rolled with him. If he's so great, why are they so quick to jump off his bandwagon less than 2 months after being one game shy of the SB?...Food for thought...

37. kyboski

kyboski Active Member

Man, people are starting to get desperate around here. I have a feeling that if Moore played on some other team last year and was a FA half the posters on here would be chomping at the bit for the Fins to grab him. The fact is that Moore is not a franchise or potential franchise QB but neither are any of these other scrubs after we struck out on the Manning, Luck, and RG3 sweepstakes. I say we let him play out this season and draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd round (Ducks flying chairs and vulgarities thrown at me). Grabbing Tannehill at 8 seems like a real reach. Go BPA or trade back and stockpile picks.

38. JLRich13

JLRich13 Active Member

Moore was signed as a backup in a lockout year with almost no offseason. Got thrown in because of a Henne injury and some of you people are pissed because he didnt play like Dan Marino? Give him a full off season and full season and im sure we are one of the top teams in the league and playoff bound.

39. LiLJoeyBallgame

LiLJoeyBallgame Member

Someone please give me a good argument as to why Moore is < any QB not named Luck and Griffin III? Trade up to get Tannehill is the answer or reaching for another QB moving up the draft board? Alex Smith gave you only a couple games where he had to make plays to win and had some really good moments last year but his body of work in my opinion doesn't warrant a big contract from us. There just isn't an over night fix available.

40. 67Stang

Dude once again he won games at the end and Matt Moore didn't. Everything else you said doesn't change that fact. Matt Moore has also been in the league as long and hasn't done squat. Smith is better than Moore is, anyone with any football IQ knows this. I just don't know about 8 mil a year better. Once again I would bet that we don't even go 8-8 with Moore at QB with the receiving core we have.