Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts

DubVman

Starter
Reaction score
Here are some various scouting report exerts on Matt Ryan and why he should NOT be the #1 overall pick!

Arm strength is only average...Still throws too many interceptions...Accuracy can be streaky...Struggles with the deep ball...A bit of a gunslinger who will play too recklessly at times...Not very mobile and won't beat you with his feet...May have some minor durability issues...Isn't a great athlete...May not have a huge upside.

Limited upside…arm strength is good, but not great…has he maxed out on his abilities…lacks mobility outside the pocket… struggles to at times throwing on the run...

The amount of interceptions that he’s thrown the past season scares me a little bit considering the struggles of young quarterbacks Eli Manning, Vince Young, and Carson Palmer, which can be ascribed to interceptions. He had a chance in the Champs Sports Bowl to put the game out of reach, but failed to do so with a muffed snap and just gave Michigan State every opportunity in the world to come back. He struggled twice against the best defense he played against all season in Virginia Tech, going a combined 58/107 for 590 yards with 2 TDs and 4 INTs.

Makes a lot of careless decisions in the passing game and takes too many chances...Arm isn’t very strong but I think if he works with an NFL trainer this can be improved a little bit...Isn't very mobile and won't move the chains with his legs.

Here are some various scouting report exerts on Matt Ryan and why he should NOT be the #1 overall pick!

Arm strength is only average...Still throws too many interceptions...Accuracy can be streaky...Struggles with the deep ball...A bit of a gunslinger who will play too recklessly at times...Not very mobile and won't beat you with his feet...May have some minor durability issues...Isn't a great athlete...May not have a huge upside.

Limited upside…arm strength is good, but not great…has he maxed out on his abilities…lacks mobility outside the pocket… struggles to at times throwing on the run...

The amount of interceptions that he’s thrown the past season scares me a little bit considering the struggles of young quarterbacks Eli Manning, Vince Young, and Carson Palmer, which can be ascribed to interceptions. He had a chance in the Champs Sports Bowl to put the game out of reach, but failed to do so with a muffed snap and just gave Michigan State every opportunity in the world to come back. He struggled twice against the best defense he played against all season in Virginia Tech, going a combined 58/107 for 590 yards with 2 TDs and 4 INTs.

Makes a lot of careless decisions in the passing game and takes too many chances...Arm isn’t very strong but I think if he works with an NFL trainer this can be improved a little bit...Isn't very mobile and won't move the chains with his legs.

Need to show links so we know the sources. Thx

What is this a trial or somthn???? You need to read it twice?

Google Matt Ryan Scouting Reports and you'll have all the links in front of you I'm not doin research twice you can take it upon yourself if its that important

Fair enough. Here's a couple. Notice how links are provided. That's the way we roll on Finheaven :driveby:

The signalcaller who has really emerged to the forefront thus far through his senior season is Boston College’s Matt Ryan. His delivery and footwork reminds veteran evaluators of Carson Palmer’s, his mind and makeup are reminiscent of a young Peyton Manning and he has shown he can lead a team by taking the Eagles to a 7-0 record despite losing mentor and offensive-minded head coach Tom O’Brien and having to adapt to a new offensive coordinator.
As a sophomore, Ryan showed flashes of becoming a bona fide first-round talent after unseating senior Quinton Porter as the starter midway through the season. However, after playing most of his junior season with a broken bone in his foot and not being able to practice much of the week while wearing a protective boot, his mobility suffered on Saturdays, his accuracy lessened and he clearly did not look like the same player he was the year before. Since returning to full health as a senior, he has blossomed and proven to the NFL advisory committee that handed him a first-day grade a year ago that he was deserving of better.
Rarely do players get credit for playing through injuries, and Ryan certainly did not get his full due from a committee that was not able to evaluate his full arsenal, but what he did show in a relatively down junior season was that he has the much-needed toughness so critical at the QB position. He is strong in the pocket, can brush off the rush and still get the ball off with pressure barreling down. He has shown he can take a hit.
He’s very smart. He works very hard. He is a respected leader. His mechanics are sound. He’s a football junkie. As one scouting director said, “he’s all quarterback,†and he has all the intangibles. He plays in a pro-style offense and should be able to adapt quickly to the complexities of an NFL playbook.
Perhaps most notable about Ryan is how poised he stays in spite of a very average supporting cast. Offensively, he has captained a ship with no crew. He’s accurate, identifies mismatches, gets rid of the ball quickly and knows where to go with the ball.
There are still areas where he can improve. He can be overconfident in his arm and will still force it into tight spots. His eyes are very good down the field and he reads the high safety well, but he too often overlooks the short-hole defender, also known as the robber, and it has resulted in interceptions, including three that have been returned for touchdowns. However, he is adept at audibilizing at the line of scrimmage and is the type of sponge that should quickly be able to learn how to read high to low. There are NFL starters who still have not grasped the nuances of the position, and in time, Ryan should be able to master it.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/positionrptQB.htm

QB Matt Ryan Favorite for #1 Overall Pick in NFL Draft '08
Photo - QB Matt Ryan - Boston College
The Miami Dolphins theoretically are on the clock for the 2008 NFL Draft, and don’t be surprised if they select Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan with the top overall choice.
Ryan was the nation’s most improved player this season, and his performance caused him to move up on draft boards. He ranks among the top three prospects in this class, and he is a player the Dolphins have begun exploring strongly.
In late December, Miami started a new era under the direction of Bill Parcells, who was hired as head of football operations. Parcells hired Jeff Ireland – who had been Dallas’ vice president of college and pro scouting – as his general manager, and they and new coach Tony Sparano have begun to prepare for the draft and free agency.
Miami has had a revolving door at quarterback since the retirement of Dan Marino. Numerous veterans, including Daunte Culpepper and A.J. Feeley, have come up short. Ryan has all the skills – mentally and physically – that the position demands.
Boston College finished 11-3 this season with a good group of players, but the Eagles certainly were not a top-10 club in terms of talent. Ryan was the difference.
Can he take his team downfield with the game on the line and get them in the end zone? See the regular-season game at Virginia Tech.
Ryan has the “It†factor. He takes every other player up a level.
His fast rise up the charts to a possible No. 1 overall selection led to him bypassing the Senior Bowl, the premier all-star contest for pro prospects. Instead, he will prepare for the NFL Combine and for Boston College’s pro day.
The Dolphins will make a decision on veteran quarterback Trent Green during the offseason. It’s possible he’ll return as a stop-gap starter, or he could fill the veteran backup role.
John Beck, taken in the second round last season, showed little in limited playing time late in the season. Beck still could figure into Miami’s long-term plans, but he certainly is not the short-term answer, especially with Parcells on the scene.
Parcells has used first-round selections on quarterbacks such as Drew Bledsoe and Chad Pennington, and Bledsoe was the starter as a rookie. Ryan has the level of development to surpass Bledsoe’s first-year performance (49.9 completion percentage, 2,494 yards, 15 touchdowns, 15 interceptions for New England in 1993).
The top three prospects in the draft are Ryan, LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. Parcells and Ireland also probably will be enamored with Dorsey, who can be a difference-maker, and McFadden, who certainly should make an impact as a rookie.
But Ryan is the prospect who can help the Dolphins back to respectability – and the playoffs – the soonest. He also may be the best long-term prospect in this draft, and he plays the game’s most important position.
There still is a long way to go before the first selection is made in April, but Parcells already may have found his man.
http://draftinsiders.com/node/287

I want Erik Ainge or Brian Brohm, they both seem most prepared for the next level. Matt Ryan needs to develop better decision making he threw too many INTs

I don't see the love affair that has made Matt Ryan the top QB prospect, Brian Brohm should be the top QB in my opinion. Colt Brennan is even a better prospect, look past his side arm delivery and what else is wrong? he gets the ball where he needs and thats the most important part. throwing form is overrated, if a QB makes it work then it's fine. Rivers and Young have the same weird delivery but they are top up and coming QBs

I would have to disagree on the idea that Colt is a better prospect than Matt Ryan. Ryan shows better arm strength, better accuracy, a better release, a better frame, better poise, and a more pro style offense just to name a few.

I certainly think people can argue that Brohm is a better prospects. I disagree, but I understand. However, arguing that Colt Brennan is a better prospect is highly puzzling in my opinion.

I would have to disagree on the idea that Colt is a better prospect than Matt Ryan. Ryan shows better arm strength, better accuracy, a better release, a better frame, better poise, and a more pro style offense just to name a few.

I certainly think people can argue that Brohm is a better prospects. I disagree, but I understand. However, arguing that Colt Brennan is a better prospect is highly puzzling in my opinion.

maybe that was a reach but I was trying to say that Ryan is not the top QB in my opinion

Yeah I agree with that. Brohm really fell out of favor this year. Its a shame that he didnt come out last year. It cost him millions probably. I think Brohm is going to be great value for someone, esopecially if he lasts until the 2nd. Somehow, I think Cameron has him targeted in Baltimore though.

I think Flacco has the most raw upside and the biggest bust potential but for someone who is willing to sit him for two years like the Eagles did with kolb, he may be a very good roll of the dice

Other than that I dont think anyone should be in the same conversation with Ryan

I don't see the love affair that has made Matt Ryan the top QB prospect, Brian Brohm should be the top QB in my opinion. Colt Brennan is even a better prospect, look past his side arm delivery and what else is wrong? he gets the ball where he needs and thats the most important part. throwing form is overrated, if a QB makes it work then it's fine. Rivers and Young have the same weird delivery but they are top up and coming QBs

Colt Brennan a better prospect...? :bye:

Back
Top Bottom