Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DubVman, Mar 4, 2008.

1. DubVman

DubVman Starter

Here are some various scouting report exerts on Matt Ryan and why he should NOT be the #1 overall pick!

Arm strength is only average...Still throws too many interceptions...Accuracy can be streaky...Struggles with the deep ball...A bit of a gunslinger who will play too recklessly at times...Not very mobile and won't beat you with his feet...May have some minor durability issues...Isn't a great athlete...May not have a huge upside.

Limited upside…arm strength is good, but not great…has he maxed out on his abilities…lacks mobility outside the pocket… struggles to at times throwing on the run...

The amount of interceptions that he’s thrown the past season scares me a little bit considering the struggles of young quarterbacks Eli Manning, Vince Young, and Carson Palmer, which can be ascribed to interceptions. He had a chance in the Champs Sports Bowl to put the game out of reach, but failed to do so with a muffed snap and just gave Michigan State every opportunity in the world to come back. He struggled twice against the best defense he played against all season in Virginia Tech, going a combined 58/107 for 590 yards with 2 TDs and 4 INTs.

Makes a lot of careless decisions in the passing game and takes too many chances...Arm isn’t very strong but I think if he works with an NFL trainer this can be improved a little bit...Isn't very mobile and won't move the chains with his legs.

2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 FinHeaven VIP

Need to show links so we know the sources. Thx

3. DubVman

DubVman Starter

What is this a trial or somthn???? You need to read it twice?

4. adamprez2003

Well it could be your source is John Beck and Josh McCown for all I know

5. Mbs3009

Mbs3009 Starter

Guilty...Off with his head!!!

6. DubVman

DubVman Starter

Google Matt Ryan Scouting Reports and you'll have all the links in front of you I'm not doin research twice you can take it upon yourself if its that important

7. adamprez2003

Fair enough. Here's a couple. Notice how links are provided. That's the way we roll on Finheaven :driveby:

The signalcaller who has really emerged to the forefront thus far through his senior season is Boston College’s Matt Ryan. His delivery and footwork reminds veteran evaluators of Carson Palmer’s, his mind and makeup are reminiscent of a young Peyton Manning and he has shown he can lead a team by taking the Eagles to a 7-0 record despite losing mentor and offensive-minded head coach Tom O’Brien and having to adapt to a new offensive coordinator.
    As a sophomore, Ryan showed flashes of becoming a bona fide first-round talent after unseating senior Quinton Porter as the starter midway through the season. However, after playing most of his junior season with a broken bone in his foot and not being able to practice much of the week while wearing a protective boot, his mobility suffered on Saturdays, his accuracy lessened and he clearly did not look like the same player he was the year before. Since returning to full health as a senior, he has blossomed and proven to the NFL advisory committee that handed him a first-day grade a year ago that he was deserving of better.
    Rarely do players get credit for playing through injuries, and Ryan certainly did not get his full due from a committee that was not able to evaluate his full arsenal, but what he did show in a relatively down junior season was that he has the much-needed toughness so critical at the QB position. He is strong in the pocket, can brush off the rush and still get the ball off with pressure barreling down. He has shown he can take a hit.
    He’s very smart. He works very hard. He is a respected leader. His mechanics are sound. He’s a football junkie. As one scouting director said, “he’s all quarterback,†and he has all the intangibles. He plays in a pro-style offense and should be able to adapt quickly to the complexities of an NFL playbook.
    Perhaps most notable about Ryan is how poised he stays in spite of a very average supporting cast. Offensively, he has captained a ship with no crew. He’s accurate, identifies mismatches, gets rid of the ball quickly and knows where to go with the ball.
    There are still areas where he can improve. He can be overconfident in his arm and will still force it into tight spots. His eyes are very good down the field and he reads the high safety well, but he too often overlooks the short-hole defender, also known as the robber, and it has resulted in interceptions, including three that have been returned for touchdowns. However, he is adept at audibilizing at the line of scrimmage and is the type of sponge that should quickly be able to learn how to read high to low. There are NFL starters who still have not grasped the nuances of the position, and in time, Ryan should be able to master it.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/positionrptQB.htm

QB Matt Ryan Favorite for #1 Overall Pick in NFL Draft '08
    Photo - QB Matt Ryan - Boston College
    The Miami Dolphins theoretically are on the clock for the 2008 NFL Draft, and don’t be surprised if they select Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan with the top overall choice.
    Ryan was the nation’s most improved player this season, and his performance caused him to move up on draft boards. He ranks among the top three prospects in this class, and he is a player the Dolphins have begun exploring strongly.
    In late December, Miami started a new era under the direction of Bill Parcells, who was hired as head of football operations. Parcells hired Jeff Ireland – who had been Dallas’ vice president of college and pro scouting – as his general manager, and they and new coach Tony Sparano have begun to prepare for the draft and free agency.
    Miami has had a revolving door at quarterback since the retirement of Dan Marino. Numerous veterans, including Daunte Culpepper and A.J. Feeley, have come up short. Ryan has all the skills – mentally and physically – that the position demands.
    Boston College finished 11-3 this season with a good group of players, but the Eagles certainly were not a top-10 club in terms of talent. Ryan was the difference.
    Can he take his team downfield with the game on the line and get them in the end zone? See the regular-season game at Virginia Tech.
    Ryan has the “It†factor. He takes every other player up a level.
    His fast rise up the charts to a possible No. 1 overall selection led to him bypassing the Senior Bowl, the premier all-star contest for pro prospects. Instead, he will prepare for the NFL Combine and for Boston College’s pro day.
    The Dolphins will make a decision on veteran quarterback Trent Green during the offseason. It’s possible he’ll return as a stop-gap starter, or he could fill the veteran backup role.
    John Beck, taken in the second round last season, showed little in limited playing time late in the season. Beck still could figure into Miami’s long-term plans, but he certainly is not the short-term answer, especially with Parcells on the scene.
    Parcells has used first-round selections on quarterbacks such as Drew Bledsoe and Chad Pennington, and Bledsoe was the starter as a rookie. Ryan has the level of development to surpass Bledsoe’s first-year performance (49.9 completion percentage, 2,494 yards, 15 touchdowns, 15 interceptions for New England in 1993).
    The top three prospects in the draft are Ryan, LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. Parcells and Ireland also probably will be enamored with Dorsey, who can be a difference-maker, and McFadden, who certainly should make an impact as a rookie.
    But Ryan is the prospect who can help the Dolphins back to respectability – and the playoffs – the soonest. He also may be the best long-term prospect in this draft, and he plays the game’s most important position.
    There still is a long way to go before the first selection is made in April, but Parcells already may have found his man.
    http://draftinsiders.com/node/287

8. miamitd13

miamitd13 Starter Finheaven VIP

what player, even top 10 projected, won't have a list of weaknesses?

9. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I want Erik Ainge or Brian Brohm, they both seem most prepared for the next level. Matt Ryan needs to develop better decision making he threw too many INTs

10. nick1

I don't see the love affair that has made Matt Ryan the top QB prospect, Brian Brohm should be the top QB in my opinion. Colt Brennan is even a better prospect, look past his side arm delivery and what else is wrong? he gets the ball where he needs and thats the most important part. throwing form is overrated, if a QB makes it work then it's fine. Rivers and Young have the same weird delivery but they are top up and coming QBs

11. Ghetti13

Ghetti13 Seasoned Veteran

I would have to disagree on the idea that Colt is a better prospect than Matt Ryan. Ryan shows better arm strength, better accuracy, a better release, a better frame, better poise, and a more pro style offense just to name a few.

I certainly think people can argue that Brohm is a better prospects. I disagree, but I understand. However, arguing that Colt Brennan is a better prospect is highly puzzling in my opinion.

12. nick1

maybe that was a reach but I was trying to say that Ryan is not the top QB in my opinion

13. adamprez2003

Yeah I agree with that. Brohm really fell out of favor this year. Its a shame that he didnt come out last year. It cost him millions probably. I think Brohm is going to be great value for someone, esopecially if he lasts until the 2nd. Somehow, I think Cameron has him targeted in Baltimore though.

I think Flacco has the most raw upside and the biggest bust potential but for someone who is willing to sit him for two years like the Eagles did with kolb, he may be a very good roll of the dice

Other than that I dont think anyone should be in the same conversation with Ryan

14. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Colt Brennan a better prospect...? :bye:

15. RaboGrande24

RaboGrande24 Smoke and Fly

a FRANCHISE QB doesnt have those weaknesses...especially a number 1 pick

16. DubVman

DubVman Starter

I'd agree Matt Ryan is a first round type player......but come on now #1 overall.....that's a streeeeeeeeeeetch

17. Two Tacos

Two Tacos FinHeaven VIP

I don't think he should be our pick, but questioning his mobility is wrong IMO. He had horrible O line and constantly had to buy time with his feet to get throws off.

Decision making problems? Sure.
    Streaky? Ok that’s fair he was hot and cold, hot at some opportune times though.
    Arm strength? Not his strongest point but well above average.
    First downs with his feet? Who cares?
    Accuracy? See streaky.

Overall, IMO he showed flashes of greatness, but did have the constancy to be worth the number one overall. I can show Beck doing everything he did in college. (doing them in college of course)

18. Ghetti13

I think those evaluating Ryan need to pay more attention to his supporting cast. He rarely had the opportunity to set his feet. He rarely had receivers make the tough catch. He constantly had receivers giving up position or throwing out the alligator arms.

All of these things led to interceptions. Many of which were not his fault. In fact, of the four games I have, only a third of the interceptions could have been put on him. If that trend holds throughout the season, he would really only have nine or ten interceptions at the most.

I have absolutely no doubt that we would not be having any of these discussions if he played for a team with even marginal talent around him.

19. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Ryan can and will become a great QB in the league. Whether it is with us remains to be seen as we have a bajillion holes on our team to fill. One of the biggest reasons I like Ryan is his gunslinger mentality (which is his gift and his curse, hence the interceptions).

Ultimately, I'd love Chris Long or Matt Ryan, with Jake Long only being if we can move down as I don't think he is worthy of the top pick. After we passed on Quinn last year, it's anyone's guess what the Phins will do. If they call McFadden's name it will be the second consecutive year my jaw drops.

20. jdang307

jdang307 FinHeaven VIP

I personally don't want us to draft Ryan, I want Beck to succeed (what can I say, I'm a homer, I love all Dolphin Draft picks :lol:). But every QB has weaknesses, or else someone didn't do their scouting report.

Take every franchise QB out there now, I'm sure you'll find weaknesses. Also regarding his INTs, I have to provide a counterpoint. A great QB once threw 17 TDs and 23 INTs in his final year before being drafted.

That said, I don't want to draft Ryan, we have Beck!

21. Ghetti13

The reality is that Beck is an unproven commodity. As a result, expecting him to succeed and passing on Ryan could be perceived as highly risky. Also, such a tactic would be very much like the decade long quick fix mentality Miami has had in regards to their quarterback position.

22. adamprez2003

I have seen about 7 of his games this year and I would say that from those 7 about half were his fault and the other half were the receivers fault. To me that puts him in very good company and I am not concerned one bit by his interceptions. He has trouble with underneath recognition but that can be coached out of him in one training camp. It has everything to do with learning to read high to low. Right now I think he reads the opposite direction but that's something I would have to speak with his coach about to be sure. Since Jagodzinski wont take my calls its just my opinion :lol:

23. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 Perennial All-Pro

the bottom line is if we get a QB then we will start winning games again, if beck gets it then we are home free, the problem is if beck does not get it, we need plan B, if we draft Ryan then he is the guy, might as well sign him and play him week one, a second round guy gives beck a chance at the job with protection, that would be henne or flacco or booty, no other QB is worth a second round pick unless brohm falls

24. Ghetti13

At some point we have to stop trying to beat the system. We are never going to make the next step without a quarterback. It just won't happen. We need to load that position up with talent and let the chips fall where they may.

People talk about the problem of both Ryan and Beck working out. Trust me, that is not a problem. That is a blessing. Good quarterbacks always have value on the open market.

I really feel like Ryan is going to be a really good one at the next level. I just hope its for us.

25. Hagan82

Hagan82 Starter

I saw him play one half last year and was not imperssed...granted not much to judge anyone on, but he was unaccurate and made bad decisions...seems to describe all of the post Dan QB's we've had...lol

26. adamprez2003

Although I think there is more to his interceptions than just that, that is the one quality I have found that seperates the great ones from the average ones. It could also lead you to be out of the league kind of quickly :lol: but it is what seperates the average game mangers from the difference makers.

I think the thing that disappointed me most about Beck is that unlike Marino, Favre, Peyton in their rookie years, he didnt show any guts in terms of trusting his arm to make a play when the window was small. He played not to make a mistake and I think that goes to his personality not to Cameron. There are many things Beck needs to improve upon but the one thing I really want to see out of him above all others is some guts. Not the type of guts of taking a hit but the type of guts of let me try to make a play, consequences be damned. I dont even care if he fails every now and then. Throw the picks but start chucking. You'll never get the TDs playing it safe. No guts no glory

27. sceeto

sceeto FinHeaven VIP

From what I've seen of him, I agree 100% with these assessments of Ryan.

28. sceeto

sceeto FinHeaven VIP

I kinda' agree on Ainge. He seems to have that "something" that would translate well to the NFL. JMHO.

29. rab75

rab75 Member

I think that people are making too much of a big deal out of the 19 interceptions that Matt Ryan threw last year. Brian Brohm threw 12 inerceptions but he attempted almost 200 fewer passes. Statistically, Andre Woodson had the most impressive season of all the top QB's in this years draft (40td's/11int's) but there's no way he's the best QB in this class. You can't judge a college prospect solely on their stats, especially with quarterbacks you have to consider their ability to elevate the play of their teammates. Ryan carried the BC offense last season. Also, Dan Marino had some seasons where he threw a lot of interceptions mainly because he had a weak supporting cast ,just like Matt Ryan did last year.

30. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

It puts the link in the basket.

31. Silverphin

Silverphin Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

Bro, here's my biggest problem Matt Ryan. He throws 19 picks. Now everyone's saying "Well... it's not that much considering he attempted 654 passes." But going by that logic, his 31 touchdowns isn't really that much.

Does he have the best supporting cast? No. But anybody watching him cannot deny that he made some very big mistakes, and while he shows flashes of greatness, he is very inconsistent.

A lot of the people who are against , myself included, just don't see why we should spend the first pick in the whole draft who has questionable decision making, especially when there are players that could help our ailing defense.

32. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Henne late 2nd works for me, but I think that he will be gone by then.

33. Two Tacos

Two Tacos FinHeaven VIP

Do you think that is out of way out of the ordinary? A lot of QBs INTs could be called "not thier fault". 19 is a lot no, matter what the reason.

34. DubVman

DubVman Starter

I just can't see spending 35 mil guarenteed on such a big question mark. I'd take any of the other top prospects over Ryan......ANY

35. Two Tacos

Two Tacos FinHeaven VIP

Ok, but he showed it in College. He absolutely was told no mistakes manage the game. You can tell that from the play calling. I love how Rayns sorrounding talent can dismiss everything, and Becks is ignored. His big problem was pre snap reads IMO. He missed some blitzes he should have seen. Could this be a real problem for him? Yes, but to draft Matt Rayn number one, and miss out on either of the Longs isn't the answer to that problem. The question isn't does Beck need to improve, it's does drafting Matt Rayn number one overall help the Dolphins the most. I think no.

36. Two Tacos

Two Tacos FinHeaven VIP

I have yet to see a draft Brain Brohm with the number 1 pick post. I think Matt Ryan is the QB in the draft. I don't think he should go in the top 5, but I think the Falcons will pick him.

37. adamprez2003

I really dont think that presnap reads are going to be a concern for Beck as they may be for Vince Young or Colt Brennan. That flaw in his game was obviously his weakest last season but that is the definition of the types of problems you expect out of a rookie. I fully expect him to grasp all of the intellectual aspects of the position over the next few seasons. I think the physical limitations will be what seperates Ryan and Beck going forward.

I think that there is a gulf between the two and is why I think its a good investment. Difference of opinion but that's what makes this part of the season so fun :D

38. adamprez2003

I saw seven of his games and the my take was that the total ints dont reflect his game. I'll quote PFWs draft guide magazine which just came out regarding the ints. Sorry I cant provide a link since its in the magazine and not online version

" His interception totals could be a turn off for some teams, and his eyes could stand to be retrained, which would cut down his INTS significantly, but given that he threw more than 650 passes as a senior, it is important to note that his interception percentage was less than 3% - not a bad mark with no talent around him and a number of picks resulting from tips off the hands of his receivers. "

Now having watched most of his games I would add the fact that there were other ints that were due to circumstances (needing to press due to the game situation), lack of seperation by his receivers and at least two ints were due to his receivers giving up on the plays instead of fighting for the balls and running through their routes. My perception from 7 games was that about half were his fault and half were due other factors. As Peyton Manning said "There's always a story behind an interception. Unfortunately noone wants to hear it" It seems my perceptions are at least echoed by some others so I feel that I'm not looking at this through rose colored glasses. Its as objective as I can be although we all come from a subjective base. I definitely have a bias towards big QBs and am the first to admit it. I do think Parcells is also however

39. Ghetti13

I believe there is a strong group of people who do not feel that Ryan is such a big questions mark. Count me into that group.

Also, these other "top prospects" have plenty of their own warts as well.

40. Captain Lou

Captain Lou FinHeaven VIP

We need more than a qb to start winning games again. We NEED to start by protecting our qbs and creating running some running lanes. Until we do that consistantly we wont have any consistant qb play. No QB can make up for the inequities of our oline. You improve the line you will see an improved John Beck. I GUARANTEE we wont won't be selecting Ryan with our pick. If I'm wrong I will never post on this site again. I promise.