McKinnie and Fins Void Last Year of the Contract

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

makes sense for the run game does not make sense for the pass pro...i hope whoevers making the decisions doesn't f that one up too

3. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

so basically we have Pouncey and thats it. lol

4. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Interesting indeed. Looks like we only have Pouncey at C and will attempt to build around him. Makes since though as we need athletic OL to fit the scheme of Philbin. Less cornfed and more OL that can pull and move not to mention block in both the pass and rush. Will be one of the most interesting offseasons in a while coming up, even more than the last.

5. trojanma

trojanma FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This is an excellent development for the Dolphins.

Mckinnie's playing for a contract now. Which guarantees some element of motivation that was always a concern with him.

6. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

We have Pouncy if he's not in jail. Great job Ireland!!

Ozzy rules!!

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

this would make me think miami is gonna drop a brinks truck in some free agent left tackles front porch come free agency...probably brandon albert if irelands still here

that's one of the problems with ireland and a major one...he tries to fix everything with free agency cause his drafts suck yearly

it's also possible that mckinnie could be brought back on the vet minimum 1 year deal if need be but i would guess given he's a long term vet that would still be over $1 mil per

8. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Jared Veldheer is injured, but I think he has potential. He is only 26. Makes debut tomorrow vs. Dallas.

9. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Don't think we can fix it in one year unless the draft is almost dedicated to just that and by some chance they all work out and can play at the NFL level. Not likely. Its just par for the course, how long has it been since we had a good OL? We almost have to really hope one to two of the young guys we have work out also.

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

velheers always injured but athletically that's a solid fit...not one though i'd pay real money red flag for medical from me

fix the ot and lb positions priority number 1's this offseason

11. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

If Brenner continues to improve he may be part of the solution along the O-line. Brandon Albert would cost more than the 4 guys leaving put together and I'm not sure that's a smart move but it's an option. LT and RT are the priorities in the draft IMO. David Diehl and Kevin Boothe of the Giants and Wade Smith of the Texans are possibilities in free agency at the Guard positions.

12. hoops

hoops exited stage left

wade smith i like that option...he's the left guard for houston right??? watch him fire off the ball and get on his horse and cut a guy at the 2nd level...thats what you want in our scheme

diehls long in the tooth and dinged up a lot also

wade smith yeah i'd go after it

13. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Hopefully 80% of the front office is new, too.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Don't count your Pouncey's before they're not indicted. Just saying.

14. JTC111

JTC111 Viva la resistance!!!

I don't think so either ...unless there's some hidden talent on the team somewhere that we don't know about. For a great GM, I think it would take 2-3 years to pull it off. For Ireland....? I'm not sure I have that enough years left to see it happen.

15. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Wade Smith...didn't he used to play for the Fins?

16. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

We drafted him and le him go....lol

Ozzy rules!!

17. hoops

hoops exited stage left

him and donald thomas both...and both would have been better fits than what we have at guard...

but i want to make sure he's the left guard and not the right guard in houston...i think the right guard is ben jones i don't want him...i want the left guard and i think that's smith

i also doubt smith will command top 5 guard money as a free agent...he's kinda under the radar i think...

18. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Yeah. He was a center at first, then a left tackle for a year I think. This is back in the Wanny years. Was an athletic guy who lacked upper body strength. Eventually found a home in a zone scheme -- which he probably should have been in from the start -- as an LG.

Anyway it's too early to figure out who'll we'll be targeting in the draft and free agency when we don't even know if Philbin is going to stick around. It's even money right now, imo.

19. NCFINFAN13

NCFINFAN13 The Phinsuckery Continues Donator

6 mother****ing years. Maybe, we have one Center. Unreal.

20. fins_rock

fins_rock Scout Team

This is a sad story. The Dolphins have 1 offensive lineman for next year! I'm no GM but I think you try to resign John Jerry and draft oline picks 1,4,5,6 if Ireland is GM, and if we have a new GM draft OL 1,2,3. Yes Ireland can't draft in the 2nd or 3rd round, so if he is the GM we should trade those picks every year until he's gone. Also, if Ireland is still GM the owner needs to mandate you cannot make trades, because you have proven throughout your tenure your trades always end up failing, so no trades.

21. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

Wade Smith was actually really bad at LT when he was here. I mean Marc Colombo and Jon martin bad.

22. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

He was a rookie and wasn't he a center in college? Him and the fact that if you blew on Brian Griese he fumbled cost us the Colts game.

23. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

And yet some people think Sherman is the biggest problem in the organization

24. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Not only that but he was drafted 15 overall....how can you miss taking a center at 15? That's the only o-lieman Ireland has drated that has worked....everyone else has been a bust......Jerry's starting cause we have nobody else.

Ozzy rules!!

25. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

I think a new GM should get a crack at rebuilding this line. Ireland has had six years and the result is a total blow up minus one guy. That's just sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Biggest problem about the Fins o-line is the flip-flopping of blocking schemes.

27. vagrantprodigy

vagrantprodigy A True Fan

Honestly, at this point I wouldn't mind seeing Garner get a chance next year at one of our open spots. The guy plays hard, and is very under-appreciated. Otherwise, LT will need to be filled in FA, RT in draft, and draft at least one more guard.

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

good now we dont hav any dead money. Mckinnie is not really that good anymore and its not like we are still not giving up plenty of sacks with or without him.
    We need LT that can actually runblock also

29. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

And its probably for the better, though I don't know how many times this line has been rebuilt maybe this will be the time they get it right?

30. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

well if Ireland is gone maybe it can be done right this time. Never have seen a GM invest so much in an offensive line to have it never come close to being good

31. Elle Clouds

Elle Clouds A True Fan

Season tickets cancelled!

32. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

I doubt we can fix this line next year unless we spend big time in free agency on at least 2 lineman and then also draft heavy and early in the draft....and that of course would mean that we likely won't get much in terms of play makers or other positions in general :boohoo:

33. JTC111

JTC111 Viva la resistance!!!

The problem with resigning guys like Jerry and Clabo is you're essentially going to be paying starter money for back-up talent. Whoever replaces Ireland (fingers crossed) either needs to be a draft guru or needs to bring a draft guru on board. Quality drafts is going to have to be our ticket out of mediocrity because we have too many holes to fill to think free agency alone is the answer. This team needs a long-term (3-4 year) plan. Right now, we're just flailing our arms.

34. z926538

z926538 Rookie

But, like aren't the 60% of this board who are Ireland fanboys always telling us the problem is coaching, not the picks? Maybe Ross plans to give Ireland 30 more years to test the theory that if you put enough monkeys in a room full of typewriters you'll eventually get a Shakespeare play? In 30 years if we're lucky we might have two good offensive linemen.

35. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Guard play is big right now on the nfl. We need linemen in general but u can void tackles when rushing the passer. Guard is the biggest need right now. Jerry is awful. Figures cogs backup gets hurt when we are running all over Sd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

What scares me about this news now is how is this years front office deciding who will be here if they are going to be fired???

I mean many feel JI is gone and possibly Philbin (which I've seen enough of his terrible game management and stubborn ways) then why are they deciding now that McKinnie is not in 2014 plans? Unless that means they are safe and Ross has given them assurances that they will be given another shot. That is truly scary to me.

Haven't we been mediocre enough to need sweeping changes?

I have no problem with getting more athletic on the line, if we are going to play ZBS we must get more athletic. When was Wade Smith drafted? He's gotta be getting near or past 30 yeah.

Honestly Garner has played well in the interior. Pouncey may be best suited for LG even tho he is very good at C as long as he doesn't room with the unfreed hernandez!

We need to add a few vets to the line this offseason. I like Brenner he battles he's got some upside from what I've seen, but I don't want them to pencil him in as the starter he still needs grooming IMO.

37. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Mckinnie not in 2014 plans really who gives a damn. Balt cut bait with him at right time. He is nothing special anymore and has alot of deficiemcies

38. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

I agree dude, he is so slow and is only huge, it just takes the pass rush a bit longer to get around him. He hasn't been good, although he does not get pushed back into Tannehill and that has been better for us. Still we must upgrade the LT position.

My question was, if they are making front office decisions now does that mean this front office is here for another year?
    Who's to say that if they cleaned house that the next FO would prefer the stopgap, hypothetical but relevant?

39. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

not surprised

40. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Maybe they're going to hire him to be the line coach.

41. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

I wonder what type of linemen we will need to fit next year's coach's line.

42. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Ireland is awesome. Extend him.

43. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

If the state of the Fins OL isn't enough for Ross to fire Ireland, I don't know what is.

44. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

IF we just are thinking The Draft then we will be no better off next year , because we dont have 5 first rd draft picks and 4 rookies starting just isnt going to cut it ,we might as well just forget next season as well IF there thinking JUST DRAFT .

45. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

If you're a quality talent evaluator that can plug and play guys that fit your scheme you can replace 4 and even an entire OL in one off season. Granted they'll need time together meaning you'll have issues the first half of the season but it's not impossible. Case in point is the Steelers. They started the season with 4 new OL and lost Pouncey for the year in game 1. They had a rough start but are coming together as the season is winding down. Because the NFL has gotten teams so close with parity, they even find themselves in the playoff chase.

The problem for the Dolphins is they don't have a GM that has a clue when it comes to fitting guys with talent into the scheme.

46. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

ditch McKinnie? Not good. He needs to stay around for at least another year or two, because even if we draft an LT...will the rookie be any better? Joeckel and Fisher haven't exactly been great this year. Id give McKinnie vet minimum and let him at least compete for starter with a rookie.

But like one poster said, make a move for Smith or Diehl at Guard. We need two OTs, and two OGs. Center is our only sure position right now. Brenner can play, but hes just a rookie...hopefully he can keep developing

47. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

there is only 1 guy in the last how many drafts that is actually playing for us.this is just sad.it all starts in the trenches Ireland u stupid azzzz

48. So Be

So Be A True Fan

After a good start, McKennie is the same as Martin. On 217 pass blocks, he has given up 4 sacks, 5 hits, and 9 hurries (grade -3.1). On 306 pass blocks, Martin gave up 7- 7- and 15 (grade -3.0).

Along with Pouncey (hopefully), I would keep Garner, Brenner, maybe Dallas and/or Yeatman, and re-sign Jerry. Brenner can play center, and that "could' work out OK for the interior or be good depth. I still add another guard from FA.

Albert looks to be the only FA LT and will cost a ton. I'm drafting one with our top pick, and looking for a RT in FA. I'm also looking for a vet LT as insurance for a year. All 3 will cost less than Albert.

49. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

...and hurry, he needs to be amongst the top 5 paid GM's in the league*

*paraphrased from an actual post in the preseason

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

50. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

Is Garner under contract next year? I think he's starting material at guard.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Wow. mcKinne seems to quit on some plays and is too fat and lazy to push some of these guys going upfield off their flight pattern. He's ready for the retirement home.