McShay says T'eo's draft stock falling, would u take him if he fell to the 2nd round?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by phinatic1399, Jan 17, 2013.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

Mcshay says he has been speaking to NFL scouts who are scared out of their mind to take t'eo they think he might be mentally unstable. This story is completely bizarre and he might of made the whole thing up. Mcshay says some scouts are even taking him completely off their board. So my question is if he fell to the 2nd or 3rd round would u take a chance? We do need a game changing linebacker but the guy appears to be off track upstairs. What do u guys think?

2. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

No. He's an average linebacker to begin with. I've never felt like he was a great linebacker. Part of his appeal to the masses was his story. People buy into that and then believe that people are better than they really are. (ie: Tim Tebow). And if it turns out that he was indeed part of this hoax to gain popularity or earn sympathy Heisman votes, etc., then I'd definitely stay very far away. One of the most appealing things about Manti was his leadership ability. And if it turns out that it was a fraud all along, it will kill his draft stock within front offices and he'll need to have a one in a million combine.

3. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

No. Too much of a distraction.

4. phinatic1399

@jcane dude had 7 ints though. I think he is better than avg

5. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Most of those were luck...ball bounced his way...

He sucked against nfl worthy talent...

6. JCane

That's better than average in college football. You watch the guy play...and I mean truly watch the guy play, and he's just not that impressive. You can't rely on stats to tell you the whole story. This dude got physically trampled in the national title game against a really dominate team. Alabama is NFL Lite. That's what he's going to face on a day to day basis. He needs to get a lot stronger because those Alabama boys were faster, moved him off and away from the football with ease and just made him look silly.

7. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

The Bama game basically wrecked his stock. Went up against NFL caliber talent and got mowed to the side.

Dude is a average LB that should be taken in the 3-4th round. Add in this mentally unstable fiasco and this guy drops to the 5th round IMO. I personally wouldn't want him on my team. What if this dude snaps one day?

Average LB that was made a superstar over a fake sob story.

8. phinatic1399

@jcane true, he got dominated by those nfl ready OL for alabama and he kept missing his gap assignments and over ran the wholes. I played MLB for 10 yeara of my life and he just looked lost. Some are apeculating though that he was dealing with the issued of this hoax so he wasnt all there for this game. I would pass on him too but I'm saying is if a top 15 talent falls to the 3rd round and he is sitting there for u to take dont u almost have to entertain the idea?

9. BIG_FISH_RI

BIG_FISH_RI BIG_FISH_RI

I agree and disagree with JCane
    If you watch this kid play he is the real deal. the kid reads and reacts to what he see's very quickly. He gets to the ball carrier with minimal wasted movements and he is a very good tackler. I have to disagree with you there. He is much above average player.

However, when he played against Bama - a team that is very NFL like. he was missing. he was getting covered up, he was not getting to the ball. he looked below average in that game. Can you make a full assement of a player off of one game? Did this scandel play a role in his performance? Was the stage too big for him? Did he just play against talent that was far more dominate then him?

A lot of questions. so to answer the OP question...............NO I would not take him in the 2nd and I would MAYBE take a play on him if I saw him in the 3rd.

10. JCane

You always entertain the idea. ALWAYS.

Personally, I don't feel that his draft stock will fall much at all. There are always teams out there who are more desperate than others and are willing to take a chance. Big picture, just how big of a deal is this if the kid can play at the next level? It stings now but it'll pass. I've seen far more wild things happen with players and they be brushed under the table.

11. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Theirs only a few teams that can afford to take a chance on someone like T'eo. Those teams can absorb the frenzy from the Media and Fanbase and of course the potential that's he's really not that good. The Miami Dolphins are not one of those teams.........

12. PlexGod

PlexGod Starter

If the dude is there in the late 3rd or 4th or 5th you have to take a shot at him. He can play. I honestly doubt he will drop past the 2nd round but if he does it would be a good move to take him in the late 3rd or fourth.

13. goner

goner Rookie

He is going to have alot to prove and i wouldnt bet against the Patriots taking a chance on him they seem to find the diamonds in the rough alot!

14. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

I was okay with him at 12 for a bit, but I've gone away from that position now. I'm okay with that, too. Never claimed to be some prospect extraordinaire. For me, it would depend how the draft falls. If he's around in the second and some needs have already been taken ahead ... I'd be okay with drafting him. This "issue" of his is definitely suspect.

15. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

if he fell to our second pick in the 2nd im all for grabbing him

16. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

17. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Sheesh J, first you troll the guy into thinking he has a gf - now you blast his ability?!?

:lol: Nice.

18. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

He may be an average player but his invisible girlfriend is hot! :chuckle:

19. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

If he falls out of the first round I would chomping at the bit to draft this kid...all this bs aside the kid can play football...He instantly improves ur coverage in both red zone and between the 20's He is not as physical as you would like him to be but with a decent lin in front of him he wont be taking on O linemen. The Notre dame defense was over rated and was worn down. I highly doubt he lasts til the 2nd round.

20. rrrrphin

rrrrphin Scout Team

If it is discovered that he is involved in intentional lies, I think Philbin/Ireland take him off their draft board.

In my opinion he is worthy of a flier in the 3rd/4th round. He's a smart opportunistic player.

21. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Wait hold up.. What I heard was that a girl lied to him and said she was somebody she wasn't and that she died :lol:

If that's the story then how is that a mental problem of his?

22. JEDIJ007

JEDIJ007 It's a trap! Finheaven VIP

Man hell no How is this dude gonna lie about some girlfriend he never had. then make up a car crash story. Hes not worth a draft pick.

23. JCane

There's a USC fan over on the Mainboard who is well known for legendary troll jobs...when this story first broke there were several threads started about how he may be responsible for this.

:lol:

24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Daniel Jeremiah (who's been a scout) encapsulated this the best when he said that in the end the NFL scouts are going to care a hell of a lot less about this whole thing than the entranced American public.

What's going to happen is teams will make sure they interview Te'o, and question the hell out of all of Te'o's teammates, friends and coaches, trying to figure out what he's like in the locker room and whether the perception of his being an intelligent leader is actually accurate or not.

In other words, DOING THE JOB THEY SHOULD'VE BEEN DOING ANYWAY.

It's the evidence they kick up from those interviews and answers that will condemn or maintain Manti Te'o's draft status. If he is actually mentally unstable or whatever else is being attributed to him by the ignorant public, that's something that should have and probably would have been kicked up by the pre-Draft process anyway, whether this story broke or not.

Considering the **** teams knew about Percy Harvin before he went 1st round, the idea of Manti Te'o sinking to the 2nd round based on some weird fake girlfriend shenanigans is laughable.

25. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

He won't fall past the Bills at 8.

26. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

I think your taking it likely. He is also going to bring an unwanted spotlight. This kid didn't just make up a dead girlfriend for his own publicity, he used leukemia in this lie, and acted the whole thing out, brought his fans, the media, ND, on the whole trip with him. Anyone who has had to deal with this disease problem won't want to watch him on there team. The guy even set up a damn foundation for this fake girl.

With all that said I don't see this as any different than what tebow or rg3 do with there public preying after TDs. All this "look at me, I'm a great person, now praise me for it while I act like I'm not asking you to." I'm beyond tired of bs.

Teo being morman can't really pull the "god" thing because mormans don't do really do thst sort of thing, so I guess he made up a fake girlfriend instead. There all full of ****. I think he falls, whether he's a late 1st or a 2nd rnd pick I don't know.

27. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

The fact the Te'o knew this was going to go public as far back as Dec. 26th probably affected the way he played against Bama'. So if it comes out that he was duped or catfished or whatever, will teams take that into consideration? That's gotta put a sick feeling in your stomach if you knew that it was going to come out. But if he was actually part of the hoax, then that's a different story...

28. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Ps I also think he just needs to come clean about this, this is going to follow him and build up and now he's even brought his school into the lie.

29. JCane

If Te'o found out on the 26th, and Notre Dame found out on the 26th, why then did they not release this story themselves and prevent this debacle here from happening? That seems to be a better option for damage control.

A lot of this story doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

30. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

Has it been proven to be a lie, yet? I thought they were still saying he might have been duped.

31. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

Your're right they should have wanted to get out in front of the situation, but with the BCS Championship game coming up and the team playing inspired ball maybe it was a calculated move so as not to bring the rest of the team down and end up getting blown out by Bama, oops they were blown out anyway.

32. ckparrothead

I thought that would've been rather obvious. They had a BCS Championship Game to play and didn't want to create a distraction of mega proportions while they're trying to get prepared and focused for that game.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

In short, no.

People are just assuming it because of some inconsistencies.

But if you had an online girlfriend that you never met, you might lie and claim you've actually met her, too. I don't think it's the public's business either way.

33. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Maybe because it's none of the public's business.. I mean we're talking about this mans personal life. It's the job of the scouts to find out his story, but it isn't the public's business to know anything about anyone's personal matters. Reality tv shows have really fried the public's minds on what is ok to know and not to know. Off topic my bad lol

34. ckparrothead

Thank you.

35. trojanma

trojanma FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Absolutely we draft the kid in the second round. Especially if we knock out a need in the first round.

That being said I seriously doubt he falls to the second round.

This hurts us regardless. This was a player we were never going to take with our first pick. Someone was likely going to do it before we came up. No a spot opens up for a player that was more likely to be on our radar.

36. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Lol are you for real?

It's not of the publics business?

This guy made twitter accounts for his fake girlfriend, took donations for her foundation, talked to espn about it, and had numerous interviews where he made it a point to show how sad he was that his fake girlfriend had died. This dude has problems.

Especially when you consider he did all of this for public praise. Yet it's not our business?

37. ckparrothead

Link?

38. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Proof or gtfo

39. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

40. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

I usually agree with most of your opinions on stuff like this, but not here. Deadspin found that the guy behind it was a friend of Te'o's. I could see a small prank being played on a friend, but letting it escalate to the point where you trick your friend into saying she died? No, that's not sitting right with me, and my instincts are usually spot on with stuff like this. If he was involved, and I'd put money on that being the case, that's a HUGE red flag. That would imply that the emotional interviews and everything he gave were fake. That ability to seamlessly fake different emotions, along with the ability to con an entire nation and not seem to care, could be sociopathy. At a minimum, it would imply some level of personality disorder, and Dolphin fans are all-too-familiar with the discord those can bring in the locker room after dealing with Brandon Marshall...