Merge"wad ball" a subtle diss at "wanny ball?"/Saban: We don't want to play"wad ball"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by YPF, Mar 23, 2005.

1. YPF

YPF Banned Hammered

Saban-We dont want to play 'Wad ball' !

Saban joked that Williams could still be effective without playing "wad ball," which he described as "everybody gets wadded up in a pile in the middle of the field and you plunge it into the middle of it and let him run over everybody."

Saban "would rather have a balanced offense that utilizes all of the explosive players on the field.

"In saying that, you don't really have the old-fashioned theory that we have to have this great running back because we're going to give him the ball 40 times a game.

"I think that old philosophy does not hold true in this day and age because very few of those guys have been able to sustain that kind of performance over a period of time."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ar23,0,5322648.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Do you think maybe he was talking about Wanny ball.
    :lol:

2. jaxdolfan

jaxdolfan A True Fan

No, I think he used the correct term. This is because when he described the pile up and Ricky running into it, Wanny... while listening to this description...blew his wad.

3. inFINSible

inFINSible Don't believe everything you think.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

4. csabe

csabe Pro Bowler

:roflmao: This freaking hilarious....

5. mercury 40

mercury 40 Well-Known Member

amen, enough already get ronnine brown

6. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Thank you #54...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

7. dolfan4good

dolfan4good Section 451 Row 10 Seats 14-15

:roflmao: :roflmao:

8. xespin

xespin Banned Hammered

wanna must have felt that "low blow" coming..good he deserves it..Wanny was a moron. Saban must have been a dolphins fan after all all this time..he certainly knew what was going on all this time..

9. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

You got to love it, I think Saban is the kind of guy that likes to use multiple backs, much like linehan did at Minnesota.

This indicates to me that you may not see a big marquee back here with a huge contract, like a high first rounder would pull. Its hard to keep a runner happy that thinks hes the greatest when he isn't getting enough carries to lead the league in rushing.

10. KyPhinfan13

KyPhinfan13 Well-Known Member

:roflmao:

Funniest sentence ever!

11. Krie30511

Krie30511 Seasoned Veteran

If you think about it.... Brown has no problems sharing carries.... Williams complained he had too many carries....both could be very dangerous for us if we can get both use both in two back sets.... or put brown out in the slot and use ricky in the back or visa versa.... i mean think about the potential... you could have a very very strong backfeild with the both there.... both look like they do not have a problem sharing the carries... WOW... i'm gettting goosebumps thinking abouty RICKY and RONNIE in the back field.... with Chambers Booker & McMichael..... the D will be going bonkers with the a crazy playbook S.L. & N.S. will be drawing up.... we really have nothing to loose...

12. Phin19

Phin19 Seasoned Veteran

I don`t think so, if Ricky comes back, we won`t draft a RB (maybe in the later rounds) we can`t afford to have 2 premier RB`s with all the holes we have to fill.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

yea because Williams and Brown sure did get a lot of carries in college.

14. Static387

Static387 Again & Again

One RB is already paid for...

15. mfja9977

mfja9977 Active Member

You are absolutely correct. That would further justify using the #2 pick on Derrick Johnson. He's the type of game changing LB that we need on our D.

16. TorontoFin

TorontoFin Trapped in Trudeaupia

"wad ball" a subtle diss at "wanny ball?"

I couldn't help laughing at saban's characterization of wanny's offensive philosophy:

"Saban joked that Williams could still be effective without playing "wad ball," which he described as "everybody gets wadded up in a pile in the middle of the field and you plunge it into the middle of it and let him run over everybody…

"you don't really have the old-fashioned theory that we have to have this great running back because we're going to give him the ball 40 times a game."

Whether he meant it or not, a shot at wanny's regressive thinking on the O side of the ball, is exactly what this was. Man, the more I think about it, the more I realize that letting wanny coach a professional NFL team in 2004 is like trying to win a F1 race with a horse and carriage

17. NaboCane

NaboCane I'm on my comma

I know, I loved that line when I read it.

It's exciting to know that we have a coach that wants to win, not just hang on and squeek by when the clock reads 0:00. Thank you, God.

18. touborg

touborg Board Linebacker

No doubt that was a punch at Wanny. Even the most inept fan noticed how our gameplan was "run ricky up the middle, no matter how many people they put there" every year. It was stupid, uncreative and i'm glad he's gone.

19. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins FinHeaven VIP

I don't think it was a personal slap at Wanny. But, I suspect it was the message sent to Ricky that, if he didn't want to be pounded into the line 40 X a game, he wasn't going to see that with Saban. And, I think it was certainly a slap at the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy that Wannstedt had lived by.

I like Saban more every time the guy speaks up.

20. touborg

touborg Board Linebacker

Seriously can you see the meeting room? Wanny and all the coaches. One guy goes: "so Dave, what are we going to do next week against the pats?" Wanny replies: " Good question. I've been doing a lot of thinking. How about this: We have been running Ricky up the middle for a few seasons now, and if we do it again, it WILL BE A TOTAL SUPRISE. They won't see it comming, I promise guys, this week it will work. I gotta leave early today though, I need to put some money on the Yanks, the Sox have never won anything anyway".

21. TorontoFin

yes, it's debatable if St. Nick directed the comment at wanny's offensively-crippled philosophy. But I think it was. Surely there are more diplomatic ways to say such a thing if all he wanted was to send a message to ricky. He was ridiculing the "concept" of running ricky so many times up the middle. such an idea -- for lack of a better word to describe something wanny's produced -- comes from the former coach

22. EightyTwenty

EightyTwenty Well-Known Member

If you guys want a laugh, go check out the Pitt Panthers website and local newspapers and read the recent interviews of our former rocket scientist coach where he talks about his 'philosophy', and 'what he believes in', etc. It continues to amaze me that the guy keeps getting people offering him head coaching jobs...

23. FinsDontGiveIn

FinsDontGiveIn Well-Known Member

Oh Jeez, I live in Pittsburgh and have to listen to him drone on and on. On the local espn radio here he was comparing some of the Pitt players to Dolphin players. It's almost like i finally got rid of him and he pops back up. (like that game where you whack the gophers):lol:

24. EightyTwenty

And you know what? In about 4-5 years, after he slowly grinds that program down into the sewer, just like he did in Chicago and Miami, yet another NFL owner or college Athletic director will offer him yet another head coaching job, and the cycle will start all over again. And he'll still have the mustache, and he'll still be making the exact same mistakes.

In any event- I feel sorry for you and your Pittsburgh neighbors - my deepest condolences. :lol:

25. LOCAL SCUM!

LOCAL SCUM! Banned Hammered

I'm just happy that he looks at the tape of those "wad-ball" games and says the exact thing we were all thinking...which is..: "NOO! WHAT THE H3LL ARE THEY DOING THAT FOR?? WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS GUY??!" Anyone with a little bit of football knowlege would have wanted to throw up watching Wanny take a pretty good team and make them horrible by forcing a weak run up the middle into a wall of defenders over and over, and punt the ball. Wanny was just plain dumb I think.

26. TorontoFin

His ride off the 92's cowboy's coat-tail should have ended long ago

27. EightyTwenty

Exactly- he's stuck in a time warp and still thinks he has Haley/Tolbert/Maryland/Lett on the D-line. Since he doesn't have an inventive mind, he can't escape the cruel nightmare he lives in. :lol:

28. BSQX4

BSQX4 A True Fan

He's gone. Why do we still have to rip him? We all know the kind of coach he was, he was VERY unpopular and we rode him out of town on a rail. Nuff said.

29. dolphingator

dolphingator Well-Known Member

This is true of wannabe and jimmah too. They were both "dumb-down" offensive coaches who had this ludicrous theory that players today are not intelligent enough to handle a complicated read-oriented offense. You might ask a certain Daniel Constantine Marino about that fact.

We actually have a coach now who has a brain, for the first time since Shula retired. Wow!

30. gordolphin

gordolphin gordolphin

My friend, we all knew, and yah he took a shot at Dave and that´s OK, I loved it

31. Celtkin

Celtkin Banned Hammered

This may be a very telling statement, IMO. Does it point away from us using our 2nd overall pick on a RB?

32. afishfan

afishfan Banned Hammered

I got SOOOOOO sick and tired of that idiot's post game press conferances!!! It was clear how stupid he was and how he lacked control over the direction of the team. same thing over and over -didn't matter the circumstances 'philosophy' 'believes in' .....sit on the ball....let the defense win it. Yeah well how often did sitting on the ball in the 2nd half lead to 3 and out the whole half????? thus the defense is on the field and the other team builds momentum....then at the end the defense is tired and we lose the game. I could just write the script every week. Pittsburgh just ran a coach that REBUILT their program out of town (they were in the BCS this year again by the way) for Wandstedt??? :roflmao: I can't wait to watch him bury their program too!!!

33. Megatron

Megatron The POFO bully.

Standpoint.

34. gmoney41

gmoney41 Starter

I remember when we were the most predictable team. Everyone knew that we would run on first down, and we still did it even though people knew. Embarrassing and I'm glad Wanny is gone.

35. CrunchTime

CrunchTime FinHeaven Elite

36. Megatron

Megatron The POFO bully.

:cooldude:

37. Mr Yu

Mr Yu Pro Bowler

Actual Wanny comment at a Pitt Press Conference...we got to figure out our offensive line, who are best five players are and really that will be the theme that will carry over at every position. The determination has to be made, who are our best players, who gives us the best chance to win...

Pitt Panthers...the next victims.

38. igor79

igor79 Seasoned Veteran

it didnt seem so subtle to me

39. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

now that wanny is in charge of College...i wonder how many players using his "kill the back" philosophy will turn pro...and come out of the first 5 rounds

40. burghPhinFan

burghPhinFan there are some that call me...Tim

Hey! where do you live at FDGI?? :wave: