Merged 3x: Could Ryan be Miami's man with top pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Jdub561, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Jdub561

Jdub561 Starter

2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran bad spelur

3. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush FinHeaven VIP

what cnc said

4. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 Ted Hill

The only scenario I see us taking Matt Ryan are as follows

1. If he is available at #32 overall
    2. If we trade down in the first, acquiring multiple first round picks, and he is available in the mid to late first.

It's possible, but not likely. THe thought of him going #1 overall is ludicrous.

5. Motion

Motion A True Fan

Absolutely not

6. biggtyme13

biggtyme13 Upstate NY's #1 Finfan!

I wouldnt exactly say the thought is ludacris and I think that he comes a choice if the brain trust doesnt like Beck. They could call him and say hey well take u number 1 if u sign a contract like this if not then well look at someone else because we need our qb signed day 1.

7. Breed

Breed Pro Bowler

I hope not, he's Joey Harrington redux.

8. Jdub561

Jdub561 Starter

Im not saying we should Just Posting a Article

9. Motion

Motion A True Fan

I strongly disagree with that. It would have to be much more than just not comfortable with Beck. Ryan is not even Top 10 material according to alot of sites. Because he is possibly the Top QB inflates his value but the fact remains we have plenty of holes to fill and we're not gonna take him just because we might need a QB. We need to take the BPA and luckily from what we have heard the PTB strongly believe it starts up front. Granted Sparano also mentioned a great QB, but Ryan is definitely not it IMO.

10. Ghetti13

Ghetti13 Seasoned Veteran

I think there are three players who represent good value at #1 Overall.

Glenn Dorsey
    Matt Ryan
    Chris Long

Don't be fooled by the high interceptions numbers. Many of those were not his fault. Plus, he did throw the ball almost 700 times, so his interception percentage was actually around 2%, which mirrors many of the best quarterbacks in the country.

He is accurate, fearless, he makes good decisions, he moves well in the pocket, he can make all the throws, and he does have that "it" factor which allows him to extend the play and make those around him better.

Don't be surprised if he gets strong consideration. He would from me.

11. MrTree

MrTree Wordslinger

How the heck has Adamprez not responded to this yet?

12. biggtyme13

biggtyme13 Upstate NY's #1 Finfan!

Yeah all the sites that had Henne Booty Brennan Brohm as the top qbs since last summer. Qb gurus know that Ryan has all the tools to be a NFL QB and after the combine and pro day all the teams will know hes the closest thing to a franchise qb in this draft. Im not saying there wont be another one as I think a guy like Flacco Ainge could end up being really good but for considering taking a qb at 1 Ryan is the only one. Im not for it though cuz im on the draft Chris Long Band Wagon.

13. Motion

Motion A True Fan

Makes good decisions? 18 INTs and somewhere close to 10 fumbles say otherwise. Not a fan of his at all and luckily I don't think I have to worry about him ending up here.

14. Ghetti13

Ghetti13 Seasoned Veteran

Stats can be misleading.

15. miamitd13

miamitd13 Starter Finheaven VIP

Does anyone know if he's playing in next week's Senior Bowl. I think I read where he was going down to participate in drills, etc - but would not play in the game. I think Dorsey is doing the same.

thanks and just curious to know if anyone has any insight on this....

16. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 Ted Hill

He has a high ceiling, he could be a flop too, it's a risk, drafting QB is always a risk.

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 FinHeaven VIP

Here I am:lol: What no email alerts about Matt Ryan being discussed?:lol: All I can say is the article is right on the money. The draft boards may finally be catching up to what the NFL scouts already know. Who knows maybe by April they'll have Ryan number one overall

"He ranks among the top three prospects in this class, and he is a player the Dolphins have begun exploring strongly. "

"Parcells has used first-round selections on quarterbacks such as Drew Bledsoe and Chad Pennington, and Bledsoe was the starter as a rookie. Ryan has the level of development to surpass Bledsoe's first-year performance (49.9 completion percentage, 2,494 yards, 15 touchdowns, 15 interceptions for New England in 1993). "

"But Ryan is the prospect who can help the Dolphins back to respectability – and the playoffs – the soonest. He also may be the best long-term prospect in this draft, and he plays the game's most important position.
    There still is a long way to go before the first selection is made in April, but Parcells already may have found his man. "

18. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 Ted Hill

What if. . .

We traded our first overall to Dallas for their two first rounders (and whatever else they add to make it a fair trade) and Matt Ryan is available at either of those picks? I think Bill Parcells will take him, if that is the case.

19. adamprez2003

He's also tough playing through an injury his junior year.

20. MrTree

MrTree Wordslinger

And his name is Glenn Dorsey! :kick:

21. Regan21286

Regan21286 Wa Wa Wee Wa

If we go Ryan or Brohm, I won't complain.

22. tonyz

tonyz Rookie

Could Ryan be Miami´s Man With The Top Pick?

"The Miami Dolphins theoretically are on the clock for the 2008 NFL Draft, and don't be surprised if they select Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan with the top overall choice."

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=763205

What do you guys think? Are we giving up on Beck already? If he is really an elite QB, I wouldn´t want to pass him up.

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Man, when did Frank Coyle turn into an idiot?

24. Conuficus

Conuficus The look on Tom Brady's face: Pricless

Already posted somewhere else - Draft forum I think. Still nice discussion fodder.

25. adamprez2003

Slowly they come around.

26. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member

Yeah, that would be like their whole draft this year and a good amount of next years too. (IF you go by the charts to be "fair") So I DOUBT that happens. The only way would be if they threw in a great player now. Like Witten (which again, won't happen)

Anyway, about Matt Ryan. I personally do not like the guy, but he did lead a team w/o too much talent to a good record and single-handedly beat VTech at their house... I would not be crazy about the pick, but if our FO really thinks he can be a superstar (I personally do not) then I am ok with that pick.

This franchise has not had top picks in the draft very often. The key is to make SURE you get this one right.

27. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

When evaluating Matty Ice remember he had zero WR's worth a crap.

Other it's really common these days for the top 5-10 guys not to play in the all-star games.

28. Dolphins11

Dolphins11 Scout Team

Overall: Ryan was redshirted for the 2003 season. During his first three seasons (2004-06) Ryan played in 26 games (18 starts) completing 419 passes on 693 attempts (60.5 percent) for 4,806 yards, 25 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Ryan missed one game in 2006 with a sprained ankle. The table is set for Ryan to have a big year because Boston College is expected to open up its offense and he has the accuracy as well as the smarts to excel in the new scheme. However, his lack of elite arm strength and mobility does put a cap on his upside. His potential to develop into an effective starter or above-average backup should make him a late first-day pick if he stays healthy and improves his decision making in the face of pressure.

Coming into this season his marks don't see that good.

29. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

would be huge mistake

30. Conuficus

Conuficus The look on Tom Brady's face: Pricless

Here we go again on this. Ad nausium.

31. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

hopin we trade down and stockpile a lot of young defensive players

32. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj A True Fan

since the odds of us trading down are .0001, I wouldn't mind Ryan at all

aside from building the lines, getting a franchise QB is a top priority

I don't think Dorsey is a fit, but either of the Longs would be good picks too

its a long way to the draft, plenty of time for the FO, HC and David Lee to evaluate John Beck.

33. Captain Lou

Captain Lou FinHeaven VIP

Until they struggle and next year you'll be all over Tebow or whoever is playing well in COLLEGE!

34. Captain Lou

Captain Lou FinHeaven VIP

You got to be kidding me. Dorsey fits every scheme, and if he doesn't you make room for him.

35. Regan21286

Regan21286 Wa Wa Wee Wa

Not really. I need to see Tebow become a better pocket passer first.

36. adamprez2003

If we are 3-4 Chris Long is our pick if he can play OLB. If we consider playing 4-3 Dorsey is the better choice. At least as far as defense goes. On offense Ryan Clady and Jake Long will be considered. But I think when all is said and done Parcells will want to go with Matt Ryan. On one hand he's more of a prototype QB then the one we have and on the other its a final nail in the coffin for the Cameron regime. Right or wrong Beck represents Cameron and Mueller and the QB right or wrong is the face of the team

37. NamathDrunkLove

NamathDrunkLove Starter

I'd much rather Brian Brohm with the first pick if we were going to go with a qb. He has better upside, and has produced at a higher level than Ryan every year. Even his poorest year was better than Ryan's best(this year). Of course Andre Woodson has the most upside, but he also has the most risk factor.

38. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock With stolen wings and evil ways

I've yet to hear anything about Chris Long making the move to become more of a JT type of player. From anyone. Ever.

39. gillderais

gillderais Seasoned Veteran

If we fix the O-Line, I believe we are going to see a HUGE difference in offensive production, and the rest of the picks should go towards rebuilding an aging defense imo. So I say no to Ryan or any other quarterback.

40. adamprez2003

Al Groh thinks his position in the NFL is 3-4 OLB and he thinks he'll be great for what its worth

41. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I think the bottom line is we are not going to be a playoff team without a decent QB....we cannot continue to have an average to below average guy at the QB spot year after year. Since Marino left we haven't even had an average QB here, or anyone who amounted to anything. None of the QB's in the draft really stand out, so we either have to go with what we have for now, or trade/acquire a vet qb from elsewhere. About the only decent QB's out there who I would go after are Anderson of Cleveland, or Volek of the Chargers.

42. MrTree

MrTree Wordslinger

Actually I've heard quite a lot of it. In a 3-4 Long will be moved around a lot and will play both with his hands in the dirt and out.

43. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock With stolen wings and evil ways

Gholston you could make a case for - Long no way, I don't care what Groh says. Long has never played LB in any way according to any bio or history I can find. He's never been used in that way.

Again, Long has never played OLB ever. If we want that type of player, get Gholston.

44. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 Ted Hill

I have no facts to back this up, it is just my opinion, but I view Brohm as more of a product of the system. I don't think he will be great in the NFL.

45. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 Ted Hill

When reading the article, this jumped out at me...

"But Ryan is the prospect who can help the Dolphins back to respectability – and the playoffs – the soonest. He also may be the best long-term prospect in this draft, and he plays the game's most important position."

Those are very good points. It's tough to argue with that.

46. MrTree

MrTree Wordslinger

How is it tough to argue that? Since quarterbacks arguably have the longest learning curve of any position this seems to be a pretty off statement. A player like Dorsey or Long who could actually start from day one and be productive is definitely a much better player to help from day one.

47. NamathDrunkLove

NamathDrunkLove Starter

I respect your opinion because that is what most people tell me when I mention Brohm. But I can say that I have watched him play several games and to me their is no indicator to this. The guy is great in the pocket, has a good/great arm, has a little mobility, and produced the numbers. He played in two different systems, both of which were pro style offenses. He did his best in terms up td's this last year. He did so with a new head coach and different coaching style/philosophy. I've wathced him against WVU and he lit them up. He always seems to find the open guy. Those interceptions that he threw this last year against them were in the last few minutes of the game when he was trying to come back. Even one of them from what I remember was kind of like Mannings first int last week against San Diego. His own player tipped it.

48. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj A True Fan

change the scheme for a rookie?

yeah, that happens all the time

he would be wasted at NT and he isn't a DE, ergo he is a horrible fit

in a 4-3 scheme he is awesome

49. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 Ted Hill

Understood. It sounds like you watched Brohm more than I did so I will defer to your opinion some.

50. MrTree

MrTree Wordslinger

Not true and not true. Dorsey's frame could support more weight and put him at around 320 which is definitely in the NT range. And before anyone mentions a 350 lb NT go out there and actually look at how many guys are effective at that weight...almost none. Plus a 3-4 DE has basically the same duties as a 4-3 DT they just play a different gap. Dorsey would be an impact player either in a 4-3 or, yes, in a 3-4.