Merged: According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20

Dolphins99Fan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20

Courtesy of ESPN Insider

Mel Kiper Jr.

20. Miami Dolphins: J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane
With Jay Fiedler and Brian Griese not looking like the long-term answer at QB, the Dolphins could upgrade here with Losman. He has a quick release, mobility and a strong arm. Losman got beat up at Tulane thanks to a terrible supporting cast but is ideally suited to an NFL offense.

you cannot post insider stuff here, but I will leave our pick there for you to paraphrase - see TOS

:lol: @ Reggie Williams & Mike Clayton lasting to #29 & #31.

Kiper is a great analyst, but his mocks are always TERRIBLE. I remember in 2001, his final mock had on taking SANTANA MOSS(even though it was a fact that he had about a 20% chance of falling to #26).

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
:lol: @ Reggie Williams & Mike Clayton lasting to #29 & #31.

Kiper is a great analyst, but his mocks are always TERRIBLE. I remember in 2001, his final mock had on taking SANTANA MOSS(even though it was a fact that he had about a 20% chance of falling to #26).

Reggie Williams to #29, WTF. If that were the case we had best trade down & pick up some more picks.

He's also a bit high on Dunta Robinson.

Notice there's no Rivers :)

Originally posted by SMadison29

Reggie Williams to #29, WTF. If that were the case we had best trade down & pick up some more picks.

He's also a bit high on Dunta Robinson.

Notice there's no Rivers :)

Ya there's no Rivers there. Didn't you say a while back that Kiper's ignorant?

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

Ya there's no Rivers there. Didn't you say a while back that Kiper's ignorant?

He's knows his stuff about players but isn't good with projections but he got this one right :)

He's knows his stuff about players but isn't good with projections but he got this one right :)

In your minority Opinion.

We won't take Losman. If Marino wasn't a part of it I would say maybe, but Rivers would be taken by the Fins before Losman. You can take that to the bank.

But I have heard Kiper talk up Losman every day on ESPN radio like he is some sort of god. 2 weeks ago he even said he thought Losman was better thasn Eli Manning, but No way in Hell He would be taken OVER Eli Manning. I think he has a hard-on for Losman for some reason.

Mel does a good job at getting the info out there. But he is always wrong on his mocks. You ever watch him on draft day? He is always freaking out about how someone missed up, or how great a team is going to be next year because of the draft...

--Ross

He also had the 'Fins taking a shot on a QB last year in the second round. He's about as accurate as a blind man with no hands playing darts! :eek:

Originally posted by Cranx
He also had the 'Fins taking a shot on a QB last year in the second round. He's about as accurate as a blind man with no hands playing darts! :eek:

So did most of the fans. Didn't you? I certainly thought if one of those 6 QBs(Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman, Simms, or Ragone) fell to us that that's who we'd pick.

So did most of the fans. Didn't you? I certainly thought if one of those 6 QBs(Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman, Simms, or Ragone) fell to us that that's who we'd pick.

Actually, I didn't. That's not because I didn't hope that the 'Fins wouldn't take one (in fact, I'm still pissed that they didn't grab Raggone when they had a chance- he's going to be great when he get's a shot) it has more to do with the fact that mock drafts, in general, are a bunch of crap (no offense, just my opinion.) Once you get outside the top 10- maybe the top 15- it's pretty much a crap shoot for most teams so, the chances of hitting on even 10% of your picks in a mock draft that extends beyond round one are about as high as your chances of winning the lottery; there are simply too many variables that come into play on draft day.

I thought we might go after Ragone or Simms if they fell low enough and was not too happy when we ignored Simms in the 3rd round, choosing Taylor Whitley instead. Whether he chokes in big games or not, surely Chris Simms' physical tools and ability to move it downfield called for at least a 3rd rounder. I mean come on.

But anyway as for the stuff about Losman and how he could be even better than Manning etc...you have to understand that Losman has the best physical tools in the draft outside of MAYBE Ben Roethlisberger. We're talkin the gun, the ability to read defenses, the ability to take a pounding and keep gettin up on pride alone.

But his biggest drawback is and always will be purely attitude. He's like Terrell Owens in a quarterback. The problem with that is, people will deal with a Terrell Owens at WR, but a QBs surrounding cast will not deal too well with it from their QB. I've read numerous reports that all say the same thing and counter to what Boomer would tell you its not because he switched from UCLA to Tulane its because they've interviewed him or people at Tulane, and they've seen how he plays on the field. I read one guy that said he could see his ego coming out on the field in how he passes the ball and who he passes to. As a QB to be a leader you have to believe in your surrounding cast, and you have to understand that to be a successful offense you need more than one star on the field, you've got to let your teammates shine.

But other than that, physically the guy is about as near perfect as you want. I saw one report that said he's so athletic he could probably be a star playing just about any position, and he's so smart he could do anything he wants as well. But his attitude is so not what you need in a starting QB that he's going to be a coach killer and will consistently look good statistically but kill his team where it counts. He'll bounce around the league for a while from coach to coach who think they can change him, and they won't. The Ryan Leaf comparison isn't quite accurate I don't think. A Jeff George comparison might be much more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom