Merged: According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins99Fan, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Dolphins99Fan

Dolphins99Fan Well-Known Member

According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20

Courtesy of ESPN Insider

you cannot post insider stuff here, but I will leave our pick there for you to paraphrase - see TOS

2. Fresh

Fresh Banned Hammered

:lol: @ Reggie Williams & Mike Clayton lasting to #29 & #31.

Kiper is a great analyst, but his mocks are always TERRIBLE. I remember in 2001, his final mock had on taking SANTANA MOSS(even though it was a fact that he had about a 20% chance of falling to #26).

3. Bowl_Bound

Bowl_Bound A True Fan

TEERRRRRIIIBBBLLLLEEEEE:rolleyes:

4. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

Reggie Williams to #29, WTF. If that were the case we had best trade down & pick up some more picks.

He's also a bit high on Dunta Robinson.

Notice there's no Rivers :)

5. NavyFishFan

NavyFishFan F*** YOU WAYNE!

Ya there's no Rivers there. Didn't you say a while back that Kiper's ignorant?

6. SMadison29

He's knows his stuff about players but isn't good with projections but he got this one right :)

7. Phinzone

Phinzone FinHeaven VIP

In your minority Opinion.

8. akfinfan

akfinfan FinHeaven VIP

We won't take Losman. If Marino wasn't a part of it I would say maybe, but Rivers would be taken by the Fins before Losman. You can take that to the bank.

9. akfinfan

akfinfan FinHeaven VIP

But I have heard Kiper talk up Losman every day on ESPN radio like he is some sort of god. 2 weeks ago he even said he thought Losman was better thasn Eli Manning, but No way in Hell He would be taken OVER Eli Manning. I think he has a hard-on for Losman for some reason.

10. Ross

Ross Trouble Shooter

Mel does a good job at getting the info out there. But he is always wrong on his mocks. You ever watch him on draft day? He is always freaking out about how someone missed up, or how great a team is going to be next year because of the draft...

--Ross

11. Cranx

Cranx Banned Hammered

He also had the 'Fins taking a shot on a QB last year in the second round. He's about as accurate as a blind man with no hands playing darts! :eek:

12. SMadison29

So did most of the fans. Didn't you? I certainly thought if one of those 6 QBs(Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman, Simms, or Ragone) fell to us that that's who we'd pick.

13. CirclingWagons

CirclingWagons Banned Hammered

who'd he have the bills taking?

14. Cranx

Cranx Banned Hammered

Actually, I didn't. That's not because I didn't hope that the 'Fins wouldn't take one (in fact, I'm still pissed that they didn't grab Raggone when they had a chance- he's going to be great when he get's a shot) it has more to do with the fact that mock drafts, in general, are a bunch of crap (no offense, just my opinion.) Once you get outside the top 10- maybe the top 15- it's pretty much a crap shoot for most teams so, the chances of hitting on even 10% of your picks in a mock draft that extends beyond round one are about as high as your chances of winning the lottery; there are simply too many variables that come into play on draft day.

15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I thought we might go after Ragone or Simms if they fell low enough and was not too happy when we ignored Simms in the 3rd round, choosing Taylor Whitley instead. Whether he chokes in big games or not, surely Chris Simms' physical tools and ability to move it downfield called for at least a 3rd rounder. I mean come on.

But anyway as for the stuff about Losman and how he could be even better than Manning etc...you have to understand that Losman has the best physical tools in the draft outside of MAYBE Ben Roethlisberger. We're talkin the gun, the ability to read defenses, the ability to take a pounding and keep gettin up on pride alone.

But his biggest drawback is and always will be purely attitude. He's like Terrell Owens in a quarterback. The problem with that is, people will deal with a Terrell Owens at WR, but a QBs surrounding cast will not deal too well with it from their QB. I've read numerous reports that all say the same thing and counter to what Boomer would tell you its not because he switched from UCLA to Tulane its because they've interviewed him or people at Tulane, and they've seen how he plays on the field. I read one guy that said he could see his ego coming out on the field in how he passes the ball and who he passes to. As a QB to be a leader you have to believe in your surrounding cast, and you have to understand that to be a successful offense you need more than one star on the field, you've got to let your teammates shine.

But other than that, physically the guy is about as near perfect as you want. I saw one report that said he's so athletic he could probably be a star playing just about any position, and he's so smart he could do anything he wants as well. But his attitude is so not what you need in a starting QB that he's going to be a coach killer and will consistently look good statistically but kill his team where it counts. He'll bounce around the league for a while from coach to coach who think they can change him, and they won't. The Ryan Leaf comparison isn't quite accurate I don't think. A Jeff George comparison might be much more accurate.

16. dolphan39

dolphan39 Maria & LauRen Aha!

Personally, I think the signing if Clint Stoerner signifys that we are set at QB for generations :goof: OK - too much Losman and Rivers talk 4 me :drinker:

17. Dolphins99Fan

Re: According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20

^^ Sorry bout that..

Anyhow, let me rephrase this to fit it in my own words.

Basically, the top ten according to Kiper would have San Diego taking Manning, Oakland nabbing Fitzgerald and Arizona grabbing Roethlesberger at 3.

From U of M's interests, the draft has Winslow going at 5 to Washington, Sean Taylor at 6 to Detroit, Jon Vilma to the Jets at 12, D.J Williams to Minnesota at 19 and Vernon Carey to Tennessee at 27..

18. Dolphins99Fan

Agreed 110 percent.. This guy can take an *** kicking, as proven by the horrible support he got at Tulane.. This guy has a true rifle for an arm, and is pretty accurate in reading the defenses and finding open defenders, while scrambling out of the pocket.

Actually, there's a pretty good article about him in an ESPN Magazine from the summer.. When Tulane was discussing the possibility of dropping football altogether, Losman really stepped up and argued on behalf of the school, and was a spearhead towards keeping the talk as just that. Sure, he may be cocky, but sometimes a little arrogance can be a good thing..

19. Dolphins99Fan

Oklahoma's Jason White.

:evil: Just kidding.. The mock had Buffalo selecting Ohio State DE Will Smith.

20. ckparrothead

I disagree somewhat Dolphins99Fan. Yeah he does take a lickin and keep on tickin but how many of those sacks were him not wanting to screw up his stats with an incompletion, etc. I mean its no coincidence that the guy draws comparisons to Rob Johnson and Jeff George.

Cockiness is a good thing in positions OTHER than quarterback. A brash quarterback who thinks he has to do everything because everyone around him is crap will do nothing but break your heart. To run an NFL offense you have to know when to throw it to allow your players to make plays and when to make that play yourself with your arm and according to reports that I've seen, JP Losman has not figured that out and it shows when he's on the football field not necessarily when he's being interviewed.

Incidentally everyone seems to want to take it as a matter of course that because Marino is taking a shine to Rivers, then we're gonna be drafting him. I doubt its that easy. Its smoke screen. I read a quote talked about how long Marino spoke with Rivers at the Senior Bowl and how Losman hasn't even had the chance to speak with him yet.

To me this is a clear indication that the coaches are trying to NOT increase Losman's stock by showing their interest. Losman in talking about how he hasn't spoken with Marino yet, did say "maybe we'll have dinner together" A private, unadvertised meeting with Losman, and a public, advertised meeting with Rivers....which of those two do you figure signals which guy the Dolphins like better?

21. dolphan39

dolphan39 Maria & LauRen Aha!

not to mention we may sign a FA QB to be our #1 and cut DT, McK, Perry and Ruddy and lose Nails and Wade to FA. If that happens, you know we are not taking a QB #1

22. KillerDolphins

KillerDolphins Starter

Whom ever subscribes to....

ESPN insider, you will be able to see Mel Kiper's mock drafts. He currently has one out. Instead of posting all 32 teams like i tried earlier ..... COUGH COUGH MY BAD....

I will share with you who he thinks the dolphins will draft with the 20th pick

Should i remind you that he doesnt even have Phillip Rivers on his big board of first round predictions. Im sure it will change but thought i would share this with everyone.

23. Muck

Muck Now completely imaginary Hammered

Dude, check the thread titled "According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20". :D

You have selected the blue pill.

24. ckparrothead

D39, any FA qb we could sign would be a 1 or 2 year stopgap, and therefore a 1st round pick QB would indeed be appropriate.

25. KillerDolphins

KillerDolphins Starter

Well i didnt see this thread, infact i reposted that post to the main forum because i posted info the first time that wasnt allowed. It made its way here some how. Im just sharring info because you guys or most of you guys share info every day with me. So i guess ill select the blue pill along with the redone :evil:

26. Muck

Muck Now completely imaginary Hammered

That makes what, SIX reposts for you today?? :D

It's cool man. You shoulda seen how I screwed up at work today. :tongue:

27. NavyFishFan

Oh....so he's ignorant unless he agrees with you. Got it. ;)

28. KB21

KB21 A True Fan

I disagree.

There is a QB up in Green Bay who can be considered among the best QBs of All-Time, and he is a QB who has such confidence in his own ability that he shows his arrogance in the way he throws the football. Brett Favre has a great arm and loves to show it off. A lot of the mistakes he makes on the field is because he things he can squeez any pass in there. The same thing happened with Dan Marino. Dan was a guy who thought he could complete any pass out there. Dan was also a guy who was very quick to chew out a teammate if his teammate ran the wrong route or missed a block or missed an assignment. When Dan did those things, he was acting out as the leader of the team.

JP Losman is cut from the same cloth as these guys. This guy has a cockiness about him, but it is due to his tremendous physical ability. Criticize him for forcing the ball to Roydell Williams if you want to, but the truth of the matter is that Roydell was the only quality receiver he had when Tulane lost tailback Meweld Moore for the season.

At one point this season, Losman was very close to being the #1 quarterback on my draft board. This was after he brought his team back from a 14 point defecit in the fourth quarter to beat Mississippi State. The guy was dead on, beating the MSU secondary with every pass imaginable. Early in the game, MSU was giving JP the short passes. He took them. Late in the game, the big plays opened up. He took them, and he didn't miss on them. At that time, I stated to some of my friends that Eli Manning was going to have to show me a lot to prove to me that he was better than JP Losman. Well, IMO, Eli did that. That's not a knock on JP though. I don't think there is a great dropoff from Roethlisberger to Losman, and it won't surprise me to see Losman become the better quarterback.

29. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

i want the dude who is 6-5.:D

30. finfan54

Its one thing to be cocky on the field, another to be cocky off the field. Thats who ryan leaf was. Im not saying Losman is leaf, i dont know who Losman is. but i have read reports that his attitude is a concern. Brett Farve is mr. cool.

31. finfan54

i bet you thought the same about Jack Delhomme a few years back.:D

32. NavyFishFan

Clint needs a haircut BAD!

33. mikefan22

mikefan22 Well-Known Member

I think Dan sees alot of himself in Rivers and that ain't a bad thing!!! LEADERSHIP!!!!!!

34. Dolphins99Fan

Difference is Ryan Leaf was an immature jackass who wasn't ready for the limelight that is the NFL.

From all accounts (what I've read), Losman has the maturity needed..

35. Dolphins99Fan

Roethlesberger will be long gone by the time Miami picks, only chance Miami has to get the former Miami (OH) QB is to trade up.

36. ac_lanham

ac_lanham The Comeback Kid

I'd prefer Rivers, this guy reminds me WAY to much of Leaf and Cade McNown, cocky jerks

37. NavyFishFan

<...oooOOO("I like Rivers!)

38. Noland

Noland A True Fan

Good evening everybody I tell you one thing if we pick Losman over Rivers this will tell you how Spielman and Marino's run will be not worth a sh*t. Marino has talked to Rivers said he was amazed at his arm strength. An likemikefan22 said. Rivers Marino alot of hisself.

RIVERS IS THE MAN were ever he ends up he will be a star so why should'nt it be Miami. I trust Marino and Spielman to make the right decision.

39. NavyFishFan

Good evening everybody I tell you one thing if we pick Losman over Rivers this will tell you how Spielman and Marino's run will be not worth a sh*t.

Man I like Rivers too, but that's going a little far don't you think?

That being said.....I don't think they would given the word so far out of Mobile....much more to follow before the draft.

40. Noland

Noland A True Fan

Your right NavyFishFan I think time will tell more of this is hear say probably spreaded rumors no tell abou the media. The Senior Bowl will tell alot.

I dont care about the skill anymore from what I hear about Losman he is cocky like Leaf an I don't want him is a me kind of player. Rivers has a family an that will tell you that he is more mature. I heard that he is extremly nice an he is just happy to be apart of the draft. He can't throw 70 yard's but he can hit the #'s on passes he is so accurate.