Merged: According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20

Personally, I think the signing if Clint Stoerner signifys that we are set at QB for generations :goof: OK - too much Losman and Rivers talk 4 me :drinker:

Re: According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20

Originally posted by Dolphins99Fan
Courtesy of ESPN Insider

you cannot post insider stuff here, but I will leave our pick there for you to paraphrase - see TOS

^^ Sorry bout that..

Anyhow, let me rephrase this to fit it in my own words.

Basically, the top ten according to Kiper would have San Diego taking Manning, Oakland nabbing Fitzgerald and Arizona grabbing Roethlesberger at 3.

From U of M's interests, the draft has Winslow going at 5 to Washington, Sean Taylor at 6 to Detroit, Jon Vilma to the Jets at 12, D.J Williams to Minnesota at 19 and Vernon Carey to Tennessee at 27..

Originally posted by ckparrothead
But anyway as for the stuff about Losman and how he could be even better than Manning etc...you have to understand that Losman has the best physical tools in the draft outside of MAYBE Ben Roethlisberger. We're talkin the gun, the ability to read defenses, the ability to take a pounding and keep gettin up on pride alone.

Agreed 110 percent.. This guy can take an *** kicking, as proven by the horrible support he got at Tulane.. This guy has a true rifle for an arm, and is pretty accurate in reading the defenses and finding open defenders, while scrambling out of the pocket.

But his biggest drawback is and always will be purely attitude. He's like Terrell Owens in a quarterback. The problem with that is, people will deal with a Terrell Owens at WR, but a QBs surrounding cast will not deal too well with it from their QB.

Actually, there's a pretty good article about him in an ESPN Magazine from the summer.. When Tulane was discussing the possibility of dropping football altogether, Losman really stepped up and argued on behalf of the school, and was a spearhead towards keeping the talk as just that. Sure, he may be ****y, but sometimes a little arrogance can be a good thing..

I disagree somewhat Dolphins99Fan. Yeah he does take a lickin and keep on tickin but how many of those sacks were him not wanting to screw up his stats with an incompletion, etc. I mean its no coincidence that the guy draws comparisons to Rob Johnson and Jeff George.

****iness is a good thing in positions OTHER than quarterback. A brash quarterback who thinks he has to do everything because everyone around him is crap will do nothing but break your heart. To run an NFL offense you have to know when to throw it to allow your players to make plays and when to make that play yourself with your arm and according to reports that I've seen, JP Losman has not figured that out and it shows when he's on the football field not necessarily when he's being interviewed.

Incidentally everyone seems to want to take it as a matter of course that because Marino is taking a shine to Rivers, then we're gonna be drafting him. I doubt its that easy. Its smoke screen. I read a quote talked about how long Marino spoke with Rivers at the Senior Bowl and how Losman hasn't even had the chance to speak with him yet.

To me this is a clear indication that the coaches are trying to NOT increase Losman's stock by showing their interest. Losman in talking about how he hasn't spoken with Marino yet, did say "maybe we'll have dinner together" A private, unadvertised meeting with Losman, and a public, advertised meeting with Rivers....which of those two do you figure signals which guy the Dolphins like better?

Incidentally everyone seems to want to take it as a matter of course that because Marino is taking a shine to Rivers, then we're gonna be drafting him. I doubt its that easy. Its smoke screen.
not to mention we may sign a FA QB to be our #1 and cut DT, McK, Perry and Ruddy and lose Nails and Wade to FA. If that happens, you know we are not taking a QB #1

Whom ever subscribes to....

ESPN insider, you will be able to see Mel Kiper's mock drafts. He currently has one out. Instead of posting all 32 teams like i tried earlier ..... COUGH COUGH MY BAD....

I will share with you who he thinks the dolphins will draft with the 20th pick

20. Miami Dolphins: J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane
With Jay Fiedler and Brian Griese not looking like the long-term answer at QB, the Dolphins could upgrade here with Losman. He has a quick release, mobility and a strong arm. Losman got beat up at Tulane thanks to a terrible supporting cast but is ideally suited to an NFL offense.

Should i remind you that he doesnt even have Phillip Rivers on his big board of first round predictions. Im sure it will change but thought i would share this with everyone.

Dude, check the thread titled "According to Kiper's first Mock, the Phins are taking Losman at 20". :D

You have selected the blue pill.

D39, any FA qb we could sign would be a 1 or 2 year stopgap, and therefore a 1st round pick QB would indeed be appropriate.

Well i didnt see this thread, infact i reposted that post to the main forum because i posted info the first time that wasnt allowed. It made its way here some how. Im just sharring info because you guys or most of you guys share info every day with me. So i guess ill select the blue pill along with the redone :evil:

That makes what, SIX reposts for you today?? :D

It's cool man. You shoulda seen how I screwed up at work today. :tongue:

I disagree somewhat Dolphins99Fan. Yeah he does take a lickin and keep on tickin but how many of those sacks were him not wanting to screw up his stats with an incompletion, etc. I mean its no coincidence that the guy draws comparisons to Rob Johnson and Jeff George.

****iness is a good thing in positions OTHER than quarterback. A brash quarterback who thinks he has to do everything because everyone around him is crap will do nothing but break your heart. To run an NFL offense you have to know when to throw it to allow your players to make plays and when to make that play yourself with your arm and according to reports that I've seen, JP Losman has not figured that out and it shows when he's on the football field not necessarily when he's being interviewed.

Incidentally everyone seems to want to take it as a matter of course that because Marino is taking a shine to Rivers, then we're gonna be drafting him. I doubt its that easy. Its smoke screen. I read a quote talked about how long Marino spoke with Rivers at the Senior Bowl and how Losman hasn't even had the chance to speak with him yet.

To me this is a clear indication that the coaches are trying to NOT increase Losman's stock by showing their interest. Losman in talking about how he hasn't spoken with Marino yet, did say "maybe we'll have dinner together" A private, unadvertised meeting with Losman, and a public, advertised meeting with Rivers....which of those two do you figure signals which guy the Dolphins like better?

I disagree.

There is a QB up in Green Bay who can be considered among the best QBs of All-Time, and he is a QB who has such confidence in his own ability that he shows his arrogance in the way he throws the football. Brett Favre has a great arm and loves to show it off. A lot of the mistakes he makes on the field is because he things he can squeez any pass in there. The same thing happened with Dan Marino. Dan was a guy who thought he could complete any pass out there. Dan was also a guy who was very quick to chew out a teammate if his teammate ran the wrong route or missed a block or missed an assignment. When Dan did those things, he was acting out as the leader of the team.

JP Losman is cut from the same cloth as these guys. This guy has a ****iness about him, but it is due to his tremendous physical ability. Criticize him for forcing the ball to Roydell Williams if you want to, but the truth of the matter is that Roydell was the only quality receiver he had when Tulane lost tailback Meweld Moore for the season.

At one point this season, Losman was very close to being the #1 quarterback on my draft board. This was after he brought his team back from a 14 point defecit in the fourth quarter to beat Mississippi State. The guy was dead on, beating the MSU secondary with every pass imaginable. Early in the game, MSU was giving JP the short passes. He took them. Late in the game, the big plays opened up. He took them, and he didn't miss on them. At that time, I stated to some of my friends that Eli Manning was going to have to show me a lot to prove to me that he was better than JP Losman. Well, IMO, Eli did that. That's not a knock on JP though. I don't think there is a great dropoff from Roethlisberger to Losman, and it won't surprise me to see Losman become the better quarterback.

Originally posted by chambers84
We won't take Losman. If Marino wasn't a part of it I would say maybe, but Rivers would be taken by the Fins before Losman. You can take that to the bank.

i want the dude who is 6-5.:D

Originally posted by KBISBACK

I disagree.

There is a QB up in Green Bay who can be considered among the best QBs of All-Time, and he is a QB who has such confidence in his own ability that he shows his arrogance in the way he throws the football. Brett Favre has a great arm and loves to show it off. A lot of the mistakes he makes on the field is because he things he can squeez any pass in there. The same thing happened with Dan Marino. Dan was a guy who thought he could complete any pass out there. Dan was also a guy who was very quick to chew out a teammate if his teammate ran the wrong route or missed a block or missed an assignment. When Dan did those things, he was acting out as the leader of the team.

JP Losman is cut from the same cloth as these guys. This guy has a ****iness about him, but it is due to his tremendous physical ability. Criticize him for forcing the ball to Roydell Williams if you want to, but the truth of the matter is that Roydell was the only quality receiver he had when Tulane lost tailback Meweld Moore for the season.

At one point this season, Losman was very close to being the #1 quarterback on my draft board. This was after he brought his team back from a 14 point defecit in the fourth quarter to beat Mississippi State. The guy was dead on, beating the MSU secondary with every pass imaginable. Early in the game, MSU was giving JP the short passes. He took them. Late in the game, the big plays opened up. He took them, and he didn't miss on them. At that time, I stated to some of my friends that Eli Manning was going to have to show me a lot to prove to me that he was better than JP Losman. Well, IMO, Eli did that. That's not a knock on JP though. I don't think there is a great dropoff from Roethlisberger to Losman, and it won't surprise me to see Losman become the better quarterback.

Its one thing to be ****y on the field, another to be ****y off the field. Thats who ryan leaf was. Im not saying Losman is leaf, i dont know who Losman is. but i have read reports that his attitude is a concern. Brett Farve is mr. cool.

Back
Top Bottom