Merged: Advice given to Dolphins/ Ron Wolf says.....rebuild now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Advice given to Dolphins/ Ron Wolf says.....rebuild now

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
SJMN: Advice given to Dolphins- start rebuilding now

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9854127.htm
The Dolphins have at least two players - cornerbacks Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain - other teams would like to have. If Miami decides to rebuild, the two might not be around for the long haul.
The team's weakness is its offense, which has scored the fewest points and touchdowns in the NFL. But the defense will soon need to rebuild, too.
Madison, linebacker Zach Thomas, defensive end Jason Taylor, defensive tackle Tim Bowens and linebacker Junior Seau all are 30 or older. Safety Sammy Knight is 29, defensive tackle Larry Chester turns 29 later this month (and is out for the season with a knee injury) and Surtain is 28.
Also, some within the organization say Surtain doesn't take care of himself enough and might deteriorate fast. He has had at least two arthroscopic procedures on one of his knees and missed time this season with a groin injury.
``Pat gets by on his God-given ability and that's it,'' a team source said. ``Great player, but you have to wonder how long he'll last?''
Also, Madison and Surtain have contracts that either balloon or expire after next season, making them potentially expensive to keep long-term. Finally, backup cornerbacks Reggie Howard and Will Poole could step in as capable starters.
Indianapolis, with its porous defense, would welcome Madison or Surtain. Same goes for Philadelphia, which is playing with a pair of unproven corners.
Still, at least one former NFL executive advised against making wholesale trades now.
``What are you really going to get for Madison and Surtain?'' asked former Green Bay, Atlanta and Oakland personnel man Ken Herock, who was Wolf's right-hand man for years. ``Nobody is going to give you a first-round pick. If Indy wanted a cornerback that badly, they would have dealt for recently traded corner Mike McKenzie.
``It's tough, but you have to let this season go and rebuild in the offseason.''
I really don't want this staff to rebuild. I want the new regime to take over.

i agree, dont let wanny and rick screw with this team anymore than they already have, wait till we have a guy in here that'll be here for the next 5 years or so

We have to rebuild our coaching staff and our offense. Bates and the defense are allowed to stay!

Nublar7 said:
I really don't want this staff to rebuild. I want the new regime to take over.
I find it amusing that anyone could expect Wanny to be able to "rebuild" a team when he couldn't even be successful with a team that was already great...If we're going to rebuild (which I feel is inevitable) we have got to start with a new coaching staff or at least HC...

darkmistress said:
I find it amusing that anyone could expect Wanny to be able to "rebuild" a team when he couldn't even be successful with a team that was already great...If we're going to rebuild (which I feel is inevitable) we have got to start with a new coaching staff or at least HC...
What I meant was I don't want Wanny to TRY to rebuild because I know he will screw it up. I want the next coaching staff to take care of the rebuilding process.

Nublar7 said:
What I meant was I don't want Wanny to TRY to rebuild because I know he will screw it up. I want the next coaching staff to take care of the rebuilding process.
yeah me too...I didn't mean to imply you thought that...lol

no more taking away from our defense, that is the strong point in Miami, we need to change regimes instead.

Can't trade Madsion right now........bonus amortization acceleration would bust the 2004 cap. However, Surtain could be traded because he only has 2 yrs (2004 & 2005) remaining. His cap number wouldn't change much because Miami would save cap space of remaining salary but replace it with bonus amortization from 2005. Madison has a vets minimum salary in 2004. Besides, return on Surtain likely to be much greater AND he's looking for big money extension. Madison, Howard, and Poole are all already signed long term

Rebuild Now ! - Wolf Says

''Every week, you want to win, no matter how bad the situation,'' former Green Bay Packers general manager Ron Wolf said. ``But if you're that far down, making some trades is something you have to consider.''

The Dolphins have at least two players -- cornerbacks Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain -- other teams would like to have. If Miami decides to rebuild, the two might not be around for the long haul.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/9854872.htm

The article talks about the possibility of trading some of our defensive stars THIS YEAR !!! to patch up existing holes :crazy: .We have seen enough of that.

IMO this may be inevitable but do we really want "Jump the Gun" "Poker-Face" RS making those decisions.I hope not.We will wind up trading superstars ala Ogun for 3rd string backups.Lets wait until next year please.Discuss:gossip:

Madison's cap hit makes him nearly impossible to trade, even if he does look much better than last year. No, the rebuilding will come in the offseason. Slash the dead weight from the roster, thus saving around $18 million, get as much as possible for Ricky Williams and trade down from our likely top 5 pick and stockpile a bunch of draft picks.
Dallas might end up with a top 5 pick from Buffalo. They'd probably pay a big price to draft a pair of top 5 guys. Get their #1 (their own, not the one from Buffalo), #2, #3 and a future #1.

For the people who always bring up Dallas in RW trade ideas....HE AINT GOING THERE! Parcells is in love with Julius Jones, and I gotta say the guy does look good even though he is injured now. I think he could be their full-time starter NOW. In addition, Parcells isn't going to give much, or anything, for a pot smoking PITA like RW.

2 best places for RW = Oakland & Philly

I brought it up in a thread on another board and people thought I was clowning. But I think we should seriously consider the fact Philly could offer us our 2nd round pick BACK to us for RW that we gave up for Feeley. They still have a 2nd then, get there guy, we have our high 2nd back, and can move on.

ChambOfCommerce said:
For the people who always bring up Dallas in RW trade ideas....HE AINT GOING THERE! Parcells is in love with Julius Jones, and I gotta say the guy does look good even though he is injured now. I think he could be their full-time starter NOW. In addition, Parcells isn't going to give much, or anything, for a pot smoking PITA like RW.
2 best places for RW = Oakland & Philly
I brought it up in a thread on another board and people thought I was clowning. But I think we should seriously consider the fact Philly could offer us our 2nd round pick BACK to us for RW that we gave up for Feeley. They still have a 2nd then, get there guy, we have our high 2nd back, and can move on.

Um, I never mentioned Ricky Williams going to Dallas. I mentioned the possibility of our top 5 draft pick going to Dallas. I'm well aware of the presence of Julius Jones in the Cowboys backfield.

Predaphin said:
no more taking away from our defense, that is the strong point in Miami, we need to change regimes instead.
Yeah, but in order to build a strong offense, you need to get rid of certain guys on defense in order to either make a good deal for anoffensive guy, or to get some good picks for this next draft.

Back
Top Bottom