Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Boomer said:
Hey mate,

Word in what respect? I've not heard of any Miami interest if that's what you mean. AJ has some serious off field issues to contend with - beginning with his pleading no contest to his DUI arrest last February and an incident in June with Tallahassee police that led to a dropped charge of resisting arrest where he was shot down with the Taser. There is also the rape or sexual assault issue hanging over him from the incident at the Westin Hotel prior to the Orange Bowl.

my bad for not clarifying. i was wondering about the legal situation

Wow, CK those are some serious posts....sweet reads. And you thought Boomer had a irregularly long post on VY :tongue:.

Too funny....great reads and very helpful. Its like we are in the draft prep room.

nice job.

Question: I know you and Boomer both feel our QB position could very well be sorted out before draft day.

Can you expand on what other position(s) (OL, LB, CB) could also have this occur.

And if so, how do you see us shifting our pick focus esp. on the first day. Do you see WR having any chance at #16 (if so who?) if say QB and OL or QB and LB are handled via FA?

How many CB could you see us take over the 2 days if we have FA solve other needs?

I think I already alluded to some of it. On OL some possibilities include Jon Runyan playing RT, which allows us to move Carey back to LT to compete with Alabi for the job. Benji Olson, if cut, could be a good possibility on the interior. LeCharles Bentley will at the very least get a sniff from us as a free agent to be our swing man while Rex and Jeno maintain their spots as guards. Fabini might be a OT possibility too.

Rocky Bernard is a possibility on DL but I'm not sure I see it. I like Aaron Kampman from the Pack as an oversized DE for our DL...Aaron Weaver is a good option too. I like Ma'ake Kemoeatu at NT but not sure if they want him or not plus the Browns love him.

At LB I think our man would have to be Julian Peterson, but Deshon Polk has been brought up as a possibility.

At CB I mentioned a few already...maybe not Woodson, but Jerry Azumah and Ty Law are possibilities. To my knowledge, neither Tank Williams nor Adam Archuleta got franchised so both of those HAVE to be possibilities IMO. We need safeties and both are excellent.

At WR we're rumored to be interested in Givens but I don't see that materializing. I dont know if I see us going for Antonio Bryant or not, I haven't heard anything.

I like Rock Cartwright as a good RB/FB possibility if he gets released.

Boomer,
Mike Williams was a cap cut of the Bills today...do you see him as a fit anywhere along the line in Miami?
I know he had an injury plagued year in 2005, and his work ethic has come into question, but maybe he just needs to be coached up a bit?
Thanks.

Vernon Davis

One player that will move up at the combine IMO is Vernon Davis. Lets assume that we sign Brees. Seeing that the fins need another receiver, imagine if we drafted Vernon Davis with the 16th pick. Having two TE's of that quality would create problems for defenses unlike any other offense. Brees has shown that he knows how to take advantage of the TE mismatch. It's not that unusual to run a two TE offense. New England runs the two TE offense as does Washington which uses combinations of the TE plus HB. New England has drafted TE's in the first round so the Belichick/Saban braintrust has some precedent.

What do you think ... ??

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Wow, CK those are some serious posts....sweet reads. And you thought Boomer had a irregularly long post on VY :tongue:.

Too funny....great reads and very helpful. Its like we are in the draft prep room.

nice job.

Question: I know you and Boomer both feel our QB position could very well be sorted out before draft day.

Can you expand on what other position(s) (OL, LB, CB) could also have this occur.

And if so, how do you see us shifting our pick focus esp. on the first day. Do you see WR having any chance at #16 (if so who?) if say QB and OL or QB and LB are handled via FA?

How many CB could you see us take over the 2 days if we have FA solve other needs?

CK's younger than me. Thus his fingers work quicker on those long posts. :D

I think certainly Nick will look to add at least 1 CB, one safety, 2 OL, 1 LB and a couple of linemen through FA if possible. Remember, whilst we're over the cap, there is a lot of easily released money to free up some cash.

Whilst I would like to see LeCharles Bentley, I don't envisage it as a realistic goal because I think Drew Brees is our #1 FA target and I simply don't see us having the finances to ensnare both of those guys. I certainly think we'll be interested, especially for Mike Wahle type money, but I think the bidding could get too high. I see us going for more low key guys, Hartwig is a player I like who is getting better and better at the swing, perhaps Fabini, Benji Olsen for sure, Tom Ashworth for sure, although the Pats will try and re-sign him and I think the Jets will be keen as well, Fonoti will be interesting to track, Kevin Shaffer of the Falcons will garner interest, whilst Andre Gurode didn't become a bad player overnight.

At LB, Peterson for obvious reasons has to be a strong possibility. Polk has the Capers connections and is an improving player. Scott Fujita, Ben Leber and even Hunter Hillenmeyer are big guys, who can play play either SLB or WLB.

At CB, I think the draft process will throw up a starter for us, I really do. Of course we have Poole and Mitchell coming back and Madison talking about taking a pay cut, we could be in nice shape. There are plenty of draftable options as we all know from the guys we love like Huff and Cromartie and Hill, to the lesser known lights like Marshall and Joseph and the kid from Texas Abilene, etc etc etc. But in FA, Ty Law's name continues to reverberate but if he wanted too much money last year coming off an injury plauged down year, how much will he want now coming off the Pro Bowl? An interesting name released yesterday was Ahmed Plummer, who I thought was a solid CB who looked in desperate need of a change of team. In the 6'0, 195 region, he's plenty big enough.

Like CK says, how much interest do we have in Azumah, who can also return kicks? Ike Taylor has become a very solid corner, with great size. At safety, Tank Williams is a player I really like and who would fit the bill nicely, Archeluta who of course Wanny tried to trade up to get to convert to LB is another as CK says. Marquand Manuel is a little small, but filled in really nicely for Seattle when Kem Hamlin got hurt.

On the DL, like CK says, Bernard, Aaron Kampman, Anthony Weaver and Cory Redding is another who could play end in our 3-4. At T, Ma'ake Kemoeatu will quietly make some team happy, Willie Whitehead is a big 300 pounder and Russell Davis might get a look.

Up at WR, I think Jurevicious and maybe someone like Tim Carter might get a look.

As for your draft question......I don't see there being value at 16 for a WR. The team has a strong interest in Chad Jackson, but not at 16. Santonio Holmes.....don't see it. I think Nick stays true to his board. Clearly from last years first 4 picks, he likes competitors, guys who have started and contributed a long time at major schools. Guys who can come in and play early. To that end, the same old names - Justice, maybe McNeil, Jean-Gilles, Vernon Davis, Gabe Watson, Brod Bunkley, Greenway, even Ryans remains a possibility in my mind, despite his disappointing size, Bobby Carpenter, Huff, Simpson, Tye Hill, etc. Add in the x-factor of 'Planet Theory' types like Antonio Cromartie and I think one of these guys will be our pick.

I think at least 1 corner will be on the bill. I would imagine a number of street FA corners will come in as well.

ghost of marino said:
Boomer,
Mike Williams was a cap cut of the Bills today...do you see him as a fit anywhere along the line in Miami?
I know he had an injury plagued year in 2005, and his work ethic has come into question, but maybe he just needs to be coached up a bit?
Thanks.

Well, he has experience. But losing your job at RT to an undrafted FA who played TE in college isn't a great selling point. Lest we remember that Williams was what, the 3rd overall pick a few years ago? He was scheduled to count about $10.8 million against the cap next season which is a hefy figure. Clumpy may be better to talk about this than me, but he has a back issue and also whenever I saw him, his play was just so sporadic. If he gets his weight down and regains his college form, then yes, I see a player there, but to me he looks unmotivated and will probably go down in draft annals as a very big bust.

emale2u1 said:
One player that will move up at the combine IMO is Vernon Davis. Lets assume that we sign Brees. Seeing that the fins need another receiver, imagine if we drafted Vernon Davis with the 16th pick. Having two TE's of that quality would create problems for defenses unlike any other offense. Brees has shown that he knows how to take advantage of the TE mismatch. It's not that unusual to run a two TE offense. New England runs the two TE offense as does Washington which uses combinations of the TE plus HB. New England has drafted TE's in the first round so the Belichick/Saban braintrust has some precedent.

What do you think ... ??

I think Davis' stock is pretty high anyway. I think he's a very strong possibility for St Louis at 11. But if he is on the board at 16, he has to be a very strong option. He claims he will jump a 40 inch vertical, run a 4.3 and do a strong workout on the bench in Indy.

But having him as your TE, H-back, would create some ridiculous mis-matches and like you say, he'd be a great target should we ink Brees.

If we ink Brees, I have to agree that Davis becomes more of an option as a Miami Dolphin as the two-TE set will begin its reign in Miami. That would be one heck of a two-TE set.

I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to Mike Williams, but if he's a natural mauler in the ground game, I still think we may actually take a look. Nick is going to ask Hud one question...can you teach this guy to at the very least be decent in pass protection through discipline and technique? If Hud says yes, Mike Williams is a target...because one thing I feel it is very difficult to coach is pure size and leverage, and the kind of attitude that allows you to maul people in the ground game...and that is something we flat out lacked this year. If we get Vernon Davis, the two-TE set will also end up helping to cover up Mike Williams' lax pass protection because you could put a double on his side often, knowing that your 2nd TE is just as much a threat as your 1st TE.

So in that way, I do think Mike Williams has to be a guy you at the very least take a look at and investigate where things went wrong in Buffalo.

But in the end I'm more on board with signing Jon Runyan.

Boom/ck,
After watching Marcus Vick's media interview @ the combine where he explained some of his off field issues, do you think he is worth a shot as a late round pick? He is very raw and needs a ton of coaching but can he be a player down the road?

If I had the chance to take Marcus Vick with a 7th round draft choice, I would pull the trigger for one reason and one reason alone.

Investment.

Nick Saban is the kind of disciplinarian coach that is able to keep some troubled kids in line for a short period of time. After he left LSU, it seemed like all heck broke loose with kids getting suspended and arrested. Teams love the kind of top line physical skills that Marcus Vick brings to the table. He does appear to be a much better passer than his brother. He is the kind of guy that if you got him under contract and had him play ball and stay OUT of trouble for two years, you could arrange a little playing time in preseason that sends his trade value soaring.

Basically, I would look to spend a 2006 7th round selection on him, and trade him two years later for a 3rd or 4th round selection in 2008. That is the extent of my interest in Marcus Vick. In no way do I ever want to see him leading the Miami Dolphins as their starting quarterback. His value is purely in the ability to shine him up and keep him out of trouble so that some other foolhardy team can spend too much on him in trade and wait for him to blow up in their face.

CK/Boomer-If we do sign Brees what does it do to our offense? I know Saban has said that it wouldnt change with regards to coaching changes but what about QB changes? How do you think we would look on offense next year with Brees compared to Culpepper or Gus?

Mr772 said:
Boom/ck,
After watching Marcus Vick's media interview @ the combine where he explained some of his off field issues, do you think he is worth a shot as a late round pick? He is very raw and needs a ton of coaching but can he be a player down the road?

CK and I don't disagree on much, but I wouldn't. Even disregarding the off-field issues, I don't rate him as a QB prospect.

dolphan117 said:
CK/Boomer-If we do sign Brees what does it do to our offense? I know Saban has said that it wouldnt change with regards to coaching changes but what about QB changes? How do you think we would look on offense next year with Brees compared to Culpepper or Gus?

Well I don't think we throw down the field as much by the very nature that Drew's arm isn't comparable to Gus's or Daunte's. But what you will get is a more methodical approach. More completions, more playing to Drew's strengths which would certainly be the TE, getting the ball to Ronnie, etc. as well as utilising the weapons on the outside.

I think it gives our offense overall the kick in the keester it needs. Now we have a legitimate Pro Bowl QB which means that teams need to fear more the passing game and that can only be good for Ronnie and Ricky.

I'm really not sure what Brees would do to the offense. I want to say we'll throw down the field less, and this is certainly true about Gus' league-leading 17 throws with 40+ yards of air underneath them, but I also know that both Mularkey and Saban like to stay aggressive down the field. I think Mularkey is less disciplined than Scott was in maintaining those downfield throws even knowing they won't be completed. When those throws stop working, I get the feeling Mularkey would stop calling them as much where Scott would keep calling them.

I think the thing you'll definitely see with Brees is more featuring of the tight end than under Linehan. For that, you need to improve the OL and the ground game.

Back
Top Bottom