Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 34 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Boomer said:
I think Davis' stock is pretty high anyway. I think he's a very strong possibility for St Louis at 11. But if he is on the board at 16, he has to be a very strong option. He claims he will jump a 40 inch vertical, run a 4.3 and do a strong workout on the bench in Indy.

But having him as your TE, H-back, would create some ridiculous mis-matches and like you say, he'd be a great target should we ink Brees.
Wouldn't that be alot of money tied into the TE position though? The thought of those two with Ronnie and Chambers gives me chills, but do you really want to tie that much money into the TE position? I can't see him there at 16 anyway, but I would rather go defense or O-line.

Doubtful on Williams

ckparrothead said:
If we ink Brees, I have to agree that Davis becomes more of an option as a Miami Dolphin as the two-TE set will begin its reign in Miami. That would be one heck of a two-TE set.

I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to Mike Williams, but if he's a natural mauler in the ground game, I still think we may actually take a look. Nick is going to ask Hud one question...can you teach this guy to at the very least be decent in pass protection through discipline and technique? If Hud says yes, Mike Williams is a target...because one thing I feel it is very difficult to coach is pure size and leverage, and the kind of attitude that allows you to maul people in the ground game...and that is something we flat out lacked this year. If we get Vernon Davis, the two-TE set will also end up helping to cover up Mike Williams' lax pass protection because you could put a double on his side often, knowing that your 2nd TE is just as much a threat as your 1st TE.

So in that way, I do think Mike Williams has to be a guy you at the very least take a look at and investigate where things went wrong in Buffalo.

But in the end I'm more on board with signing Jon Runyan.

IMO due to the fact his coach was Mike Mularkey our new Offensive Coordinator. I'm sure Mularkey has only bad things to say about Williams.

Boomer said:
CK and I don't disagree on much, but I wouldn't. Even disregarding the off-field issues, I don't rate him as a QB prospect.

I live in Hokie country. IMO not only is Marcus not an NFL QB prospect, he is another Cecil Collins waiting to happen. This would be a sure way to throw away a pick. There's a better chance he'll do 10-20 than take an NFL snap.

Boomer/CK -- what about Fonoti as a FA? He seems to be the forgotten man around here.

Bommer i asked you about this previosuly but im not sure. What did you say the chances were Cutler goes before Young? Pretty strong? Thanks

shouright said:
Boomer/CK -- what about Fonoti as a FA? He seems to be the forgotten man around here.

You're right he HAS become a forgotten man but I believe Houck will keep in Saban's ear about him depending on how a few other guys pan out in FA. He's still on my radar screen. Right now I think guys like Jon Runyan, Benji Olson (if he gets cut), and Justin Hartwig outrank him on the priority list but he's right below them...getting him to play RG would be a big boost especially if we get him in and first thing we do is have John Gamble work with him in his new "off field" strength and conditioning role, to get Fonoti IN SHAPE...which would be very important to Nick Saban.

Jimi said:
Bommer i asked you about this previosuly but im not sure. What did you say the chances were Cutler goes before Young? Pretty strong? Thanks

Boomer and I pretty much agree 100% that it is a near-certainty that Cutler will get taken ahead of Young. Right now my latest mock draft has Young going to Scott Linehan and the Rams at #11. Boomer does not agree with me there, he sees Young being available when we pick at #16...and he may agree with KB that Young could end up in Dallas at #18...not sure exactly where Boomer thinks Young ends up but I do know Boomer feels he'll be available at #16...IF we want him.

ckparrothead said:
Boomer and I pretty much agree 100% that it is a near-certainty that Cutler will get taken ahead of Young. Right now my latest mock draft has Young going to Scott Linehan and the Rams at #11. Boomer does not agree with me there, he sees Young being available when we pick at #16...and he may agree with KB that Young could end up in Dallas at #18...not sure exactly where Boomer thinks Young ends up but I do know Boomer feels he'll be available at #16...IF we want him.

appreciate the quick response man.

Next question. So Cutler goes to Tenn. then correct? Who do the Jets pick up?

Jimi said:

Correction. Point of contention between myself and Boomer, but I believe Cutler will end up going #2. Not necessarily to the Saints either. They've put out open feelers to teams seeing what they could get for the #2 pick in trade. The Jets have a banana in their pocket for Cutler and know he won't get past the Titans at #3. I think they could move up a few spots for Cutler...or someone else could move up to the Saints spot for him.

If not, the Saints themselves could grab Cutler. Everyone's been assuming they will go Leinart purely because they think Leinart is the best QB in the draft. That isn't the case anymore. As more and more scouts are being interviewed, it is coming out that more and more of them consider Jay Cutler to be THE best QB in the draft. Draft Daddy, a draft site, had a friend sit down and have a few beers with three scouts at the Combine the other day. All three, all from different teams, agreed unanimously that Cutler was the best QB in the draft. They all expressed concern about Leinart's arm, and all three said they wouldn't touch Vince Young in the first round, but agreed he would end up going first round anyway. If you take that as a random sampling of scouts, that makes it even more significant..

My latest mock draft has Cutler #2 to the Saints, Leinart #3 to the Titans...Young #11 to the Rams. I created that about 2 weeks ago. I'll create another one in mid-March...but I have to say right now I see no reason to change those thee picks.

Boomer and CK,
Let me start by saying that this has to be one of the best threads I've ever read. I like the insight and anaylsis that you guys provide. Now, for my question. What do you guys REALLY think of Leinart's arm. The reason that I ask this is that there have been things that have occurred that have seriously caused me to question ML's arm strength. Here are some reasons:

1) The final play in the National Championship game - USC had the ball on the TX 43 yard line. Why didn't they throw a hail mary. If there was ever a time for a hail mary, that was it. Why didn't they just throw the ball up and pray that someone comes up to it. Moreover, Dewayne Jarrett is a tall receiver (he's listed at 6'5" meaning he's probably a little shorter than that), why not throw it up and let him try to come up with one. I think the hail mary was not thrown (or even called for that matter) because of Leinart's weak arm.

2) Leinart's decision to not play in the Senior Bowl - the Senior Bowl has been a platform for guys like David Carr and Carson Palmer to show off their talent and solidify their draft positions. These players were in the same position where going to the Senior Bowl could've only hurt their stock; however, they made the trip to Mobile and silenced any critics. I think Leinart had an opportunity to do the same thing, but he blew the opportunity. Leinart would've been right at home working with Norm Chow on the North squad. We all know that the practices of the Senior Bowl are so heavily scrutinized that it becomes a mini combine. I think that Leinart's not playing is directly linked to not wanting to lower his draft status because everyone would've gotten a close look at his arm.

3) Leinart's decision to not throw at the Combine - personally I feel that a QB not throwing at the combine is like a running back deciding not to do any of the running drills or a receiver saying he'll decline to catch passes. Why is he not throwing??? I question Vince Young's decision to not throw as well. I think VY's decision is similar to Leinart's in that he didn't want to hurt his draft status because seeing his side arm delivery in person may cost him some $. I know both of these guys are planning on having their own sessions later when they'll pass (Leinart won't be passing until April--possibly working on his arm strength in the time being IMO), but one must wonder what is the real reason behind not throwing at the combine. I think it has to deal with his arm. I have no questions about his ability to lead a team or his other attributes, but specifically his arm strength. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately all of the things you question are not all that uncommon...except the hail mary thing which I personally don't put much stock in.

The Senior Bowl has traditionally not been an arena for the top top prospects in the draft to attend. Why? Because of injury risks. Matt Leinart goes to the Senior Bowl, gets his leg broken, he might not even be a first rounder anymore and he has literally lost TENS of MILLIONS of dollars. What are the odds of him getting significantly hurt? I dunno, it's happened before...but the sheer potential for loss is staggering enough that MOST scouts understand when a top top caliber guy opts not to perform there. When Jay Cutler accepted, remember, he was not yet considered the top 5 selection that he is today. You typically go to the Senior Bowl because you have more to GAIN than to LOSE. Ronnie Brown didn't go to the Senior Bowl. He had more to lose than to gain. Similarly, Matt was already considered a lock to go to New Orleans at #2 or at the very least to Tennessee at #3. Is he possibly going to convince Houston to take him at #1 by going out and having a killer Senior Bowl performance? No. There wasn't a chance in hades.

So why risk the injury if there is literally NOTHING to gain for him?

As for the Combine...I don't like it when QBs don't throw, but again it is all too common. Donovan McNabb didn't throw. Tim Couch didn't. I don't think Daunte threw. Eli Manning didn't throw. Phil Rivers didn't. David Carr didn't throw. Again this is usually about having more to lose than to gain. If Leinart does NOT throw, he knows he'll get away with it and still end up #2 to New Orleans or #3 to Tennessee...but again, can he GAIN anything by throwing? No, because again there isn't a chance in hades Leinart could be #1 no matter what he did. So, there's more to lose than to gain, so why bother? It's a smart decision on his part. He knows his arm isn't to be compared with Jay Cutler. So do scouts. But he doesn't need to risk overexposing that fact.

As for Matt's arm strength he's got plenty of arm to throw deep and lots of touch and ability to feather those deep balls...which leads to completions in that area. He doesn't have the arm to get the ball out in a super hurry on the 15 yard out pattern I don't think. At the very least I think his arm is as good as Brees'...probably around the same area as a Trent Green, Rex Grossman, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees.

sports24/7 said:
Wouldn't that be alot of money tied into the TE position though? The thought of those two with Ronnie and Chambers gives me chills, but do you really want to tie that much money into the TE position? I can't see him there at 16 anyway, but I would rather go defense or O-line.

It is, but if you have 2 TE's as good as those 2, considering the style of offense and if Brees comes in, the ability to utilse those 2, then hell........

shouright said:

He's just under 400lbs about now and the Saints, Vikings and Raiders seem most interested. He'd have to have his weight WAY down for us to strike a serious interest IMHO.

Jimi said:

I'd have them about 95% mate. I think Cutler goes to Tennessee at 3, unless the Jets get up to 2 and get him. I think Young probably falls to St Louis at 11, to Miami at 16 or even Dallas at 18. There is a chance the Raiders at 7 might, but with the coin flip results, Vernon Davis becomes a huge possibility right there at 7.

Jimi said:

Hehe.....like CK says, we disagree a tad.....I would say that the Jets either dish to 2 and take Cutler or stay at 4 and take Ferguson. They could of course bugger the whole thing up and take Super Mario at 4, meaning the Pack probably takes AJ Hawk at 5 and throwing all our mocks and grand plans into utter confusion.

:D

Back
Top Bottom