Merged: Blackout Expected For Local Television/Question about blackout | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Blackout Expected For Local Television/Question about blackout

LtDan said:
How about the panhandle of Florida?? In state but not in the Miami local area?? I have Sunday ticket???
I think you should be fine. I think the blackout is only for the Miami area.

The rule is an actual U.S. Code exception to the antitrust laws that prevent a single corporation from using their market dominance to their benefit. Essentially, the rule states that an NFL team must “sell out†their stadium’s ticket capacity 72 hours prior to kickoff (usually that’s Thursday afternoon) or the game cannot be televised in a 75-mile radius of the stadium. This prevents the people living in the stadium’s home area from seeing the game, even in so-called “secondary†television markets. Games are broadcast on radio, but the TV blackout affects all local broadcast, cable and satellite television transmissions of a game in that area.

http://attaboy.tommydoc.net/?m=20041217

OK well at least the game should continue in Tampa then. But actually I think I'm supposed to be in gainesville. Hmmph.

Lloyd Heilbrunn said:
Makes no sense to me,TV and DHL buy out the preseason games to put them on TV but not the home opener?? I don't buy it, it's puffing by the front office,I expect the same to happen for this game.Plus they should get a blackout extension due to the holiday.....

Someone will buy out the remaining lot in time. The local station always does it if it's not more than a few thousand, for PR and ratings. Front office wimps miffed a new regime isn't tilting the entire region toward Dolphin Stadium. They were one press release short and couldn't think of anything fascinating about Eddie Moore. Besides, fear is very popular these days.

I'm not sure the Labor Day excuse cuts it this week, not with the dockets on sale for months.

texasPHINSfan said:
i think if you pay for direct ticket, you should get the games, even if you live in Miami.

If you pay for it, you are paying for Direct TV's license to broadcast the game from the NFL - IMO that should sacrifice all the NFL's rights to the games - that's what DirectTV pays the NFL millions for.

side note - what does the NFL do with all the money it makes? the teams pay the players, the teams pay the NFL to have games, a portion of ticket sales and stuff goes to pay refs. What exactly does the NFL do with all that money???

Yes, but only a portion of the TV revenue is used by the league. The rest, the vast majority of it, is divided equally by the owners. That's how Buffalo still has the Jills, NE, Atlanta, NO, KC, & the Packers (tough to sell them, they're paritaly owned by the citizens) stayed afloat for all those losing seasons. The owners are guaranteed $$$$, and can usually stay in the black.

Unless of course you're Art Modell and want the billion $$$$ sweetheart deal to move the team. Suddenly, you're broke and "have no choice". :rofl3:

Ques. about blackout

If game is blacked out, does that mean that us local wont be able to watch it???

Awsi Dooger said:
Someone will buy out the remaining lot in time. The local station always does it if it's not more than a few thousand, for PR and ratings. Front office wimps miffed a new regime isn't tilting the entire region toward Dolphin Stadium. They were one press release short and couldn't think of anything fascinating about Eddie Moore. Besides, fear is very popular these days.

I'm not sure the Labor Day excuse cuts it this week, not with the dockets on sale for months.

Um, I think the work you're looking for is ducats, not dockets. Dockets are cases lists for a court.C'mon, any good UM fan know that! :D

Maybe Wayne can reach into his fat wallet and buy the remaining tickets and give them to poor folk who want to watch football....or maybe a Miami station will do this. I am gonna be parked in front of a 10 foot HD big screen at my favorite sportsbar here in Colorado watching the game. :)

Nublar7 said:
If you live in the Miami area, you will not be able to watch it.

I wish that every game the TV stations would not buy the remaining seats up. Just so the fans in the surrounding area can't watch it. They need to be at the stadium, not wishing for the blackouts to be lifted.

Back
Top Bottom